Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
also if i'm gonna go to a chain, it's gonna be bonchon chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

emoji posted:

Wow. Such insight. Very wisdom. I forgot that stuff like rice and beans, peppers, potatoes, and all kinds of regional cuisines are actually bullshit derivative garbage and that China and Germany have had contiguous cultures since antiquity.

both Germany and Italy are younger than the USA

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
applebee's gave a margarita to a baby that one time
prtty funny i guess

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how do they make a profit if all that only cost $1.89?

Money laundering operation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Breetai posted:

A couple of months ago I started a thread with a similar topic to this one where I lauded my local Afghan place and showed a picture of their Tikka Mashawyat Mazdat, and someone posted something along the lines of 'well that's all well and good but you're being ripped off by paying more I'll bet that after you're done eating they just scrape any remaining sauce off of that bowl and into the pot again so that they don't need to use refills as much' and talked about how the sauces probably get sent into the restaurant by a delivery company and all I could think was here's a person who has been so broken by eating nothing but chain food all their lives that they've either never been in a place where the cooks make a sauce from scratch using spices and poo poo, or think that places like that are somehow outlandishly rare.

I mean look at this: you can get this for the price of 2 McDonald's hamburgers.

and it's cooked fresh using an actual recipe rather than a reheating and assembly process.

How much do you think a McDonalds burger costs?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
the use of the word 'consistent' thing is completely true and sounds like dogwhistle for something but i cant figure out exactly what

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

applebees, chilis, black eyed pea, all variations on the same theme of bizarre yet bland food experimentation. nothing is quite what it should be. you order chicken strips if you're boring, or fajitas, or something on the menu and the ingredients list is really weird but you still have some kind of expectation of what's to come. Even their burgers are like this, and then it comes to you on its little plate served in your booth with your friends and you bite in, and it tastes all hosed up. these aren't fajitas. they're spicy encabritio fritter fajitas with borbo sauce. they don't have the real fajitas anywhere. you were lied to. it cost $10 for this. and a tip because you're not a jerk. it cost $15 or so at the end. maybe $20 if you were drinking a bit. the bacon doesn't even taste like bacon.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how do they make a profit if all that only cost $1.89?
tbf I think McDonalds raised the price of a hamburger to 1.09

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Imagine having really strong negative culinary opinions about places you don't even have to eat at instead of just choosing to think about other stuff. Lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

imagine feeling anything, about anything ever. or thinking about anythign that's not imminently life threatening or in the pursuit of knowledge. lol

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Jonny 290 posted:

i think its because america has no real established, old food traditions. like, go to germany theyve been making fuckin' sausages for 1300 years or something stupid. china's been roasting ducks since jesus walked.

us? well we built this whole culture based on appropriating other food cultures, called it 'fusion' or yapped about melting pots or some dumb poo poo. lovely chains can attract millions of the dumber americans by constantly rotating menus and 'inventing new things'. ooh did you hear about that new pomegranate dijon chicken breast at applebees? boom you just camouflaged a bunch of lazy top-down corporate chain menu bullshit as innovative cuisine for basic bitches.

bonus points if you constantly do this as the customer facing effect of a shitload of supplier and upstream arbitration, selling people the poo poo you can get on sale as 'exotic'

whydogoonshateapplebees.txt

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Why eat a applebee appetizer when you could eat a chinese guys duck. lol

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i love chinese duck. no i am not a gay chinaman!!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Chinese guys ducks are very greasy and they taste salty but on the whole theyre very nice

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

hemophilia posted:

imagine feeling anything, about anything ever. or thinking about anythign that's not imminently life threatening or in the pursuit of knowledge. lol

Let's be real and limit 'pursuit of knowledge' to STEM subjects only tia.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

hemophilia posted:

That's really easy to imagine. Only someone with brain damage or terminal soul AIDS would conflate their misdirected rage with meaningful thought.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

a hole-y ghost posted:

Chinese guys ducks are very greasy and they taste salty but on the whole theyre very nice

white americans also bitch about duck being 'greasy' alot...idgi that like the point

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i wake up every day and immediately start thinking in code. ruby on rails. as i chug a quart of soylent. later i wipe myself down with a wet towel to soak up the excess grease. I don't have time to shower. i see someone enjoying their food and scoff. at work a co-worker is bashing on applebees and i smile sublimely at how above all of it i am. with the way the occulus rift is coming i may well see the singularity in my lifetime. heh.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

its pretty obvious why though, with chicken being the main bird eaten in the country and chicken breast usually marketed as the best cut, which is pretty much the furthest you can get from duck

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

It's basically one step up in quality from fast food, but to be honest, if I found myself at an Applebee's I'd gladly eat the food there or w/e. All food tastes pretty good to me.

This is how I feel as well.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

one thing i never got was if you had a soft drink they'd just keep on giving you cup after cup instead of just refilling the one cup you had. you'd eventually have a table full of cups

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I have a friend who works for an extermination company and told me never to repeat this but here it goes anyway. Applebees all across the state (and assuming across the country as well) have horrible problems with bugs contaminating the vegetable supplies. The extermination company goes out there pretty regularly to try and fix the roach problems, and roaches aren't a common problem in this part of the country.

The last time I had Applebees it was paid for with a gift card. I had a pasta dish and it was barely more than a cup of noodles that had frozen broccoli and alfredo sauce, but it had clearly been microwaved because the sauce had started to separate. It tasted like poo poo and I was still hungry after, and it cost something like $15. In retrospect I would have rather just thrown the gift card away.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
most goons who love applebees probably just go to eat chicken tenders and french fries and try to delude themselves into think its better then fast food because it costs more and a person brings it to the table.

Breetai posted:

A couple of months ago I started a thread with a similar topic to this one where I lauded my local Afghan place and showed a picture of their Tikka Mashawyat Mazdat, and someone posted something along the lines of 'well that's all well and good but you're being ripped off by paying more I'll bet that after you're done eating they just scrape any remaining sauce off of that bowl and into the pot again so that they don't need to use refills as much' and talked about how the sauces probably get sent into the restaurant by a delivery company and all I could think was here's a person who has been so broken by eating nothing but chain food all their lives that they've either never been in a place where the cooks make a sauce from scratch using spices and poo poo, or think that places like that are somehow outlandishly rare.

and it's cooked fresh using an actual recipe rather than a reheating and assembly process.

It's pretty hilarious that anyone can think that national chain restaurants have anything remotely in common with smaller local restaurants. It's like two entirely different cultures where the only overlap is that they hate picky customers. The whole point of the chains is to create an assembly line of food production where you need literally no cooking skill to slap together the dish in order to minimize costs down to counting pennies. Olive Garden doesn't even salt pasta water or toss cooked pasta with sauce because its allows them to get longer warranties on their pots and its faster to plop ladles of sauce from a vat onto a plate of mushy noodles and the extra 2-3 minutes it would take to do it right is considered an unnecessary expense.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

emoji posted:

Wow. Such insight. Very wisdom. I forgot that stuff like rice and beans, peppers, potatoes, and all kinds of regional cuisines are actually bullshit derivative garbage and that China and Germany have had contiguous cultures since antiquity.

haha yeah how did he not know about the time the germans decide to not be german for a while or when the chinese all went super vegan for the century and a half

Idiot with bacon in his username likes applebees who is surprised?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't have that restaurant where I live.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I went to Applebee's once. It was OK, but kinda spendy for what it was.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Breetai posted:

gently caress off OP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Foid One posted:

gently caress off OP

Breetai wasn't the op. idiot

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hate Applebees because I have been only there so crackers could deliver bad relationship news. Thankfully one of the times I was just a friend of the soon to be groom, but gently caress.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 22, 2015

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

applebees is okay for half-price appetizers. like 4 bucks for a huge gently caress-off plate of okay nachos is alright in my book, but lol if you actually order entrees there

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tsinava posted:

the food doesn't taste good and the drinks are watered down and it's a waste of money. go to chilis or fridays.

lol what the gently caress how are chilis and fridays any different they are the same loving restaurant lolollll

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I hate appelbees because I'm terrified of mediocrity thanks.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Tumble posted:

Why wouldn't you hate it? Its crap food heated in a microwave that's only seen poo poo.

You can hate all this "hipster" food all you want, but its pretty dope being able to go to a cool local place that does its best to get it's ingredients from farms and businesses nearby.

If you can't hobble into a cool spot hungover and say "I'm hungover" to the waitress without her batting an eye and suggesting a light chickpea falafel with some fermented beet juice on the side for some Hair Of The Dog, you have failed at life because you live in a poo poo area.

Wow that sounds like the worst possible hangover meal ever

"Can I get scrambled tofu and soy bacon? I had TWO Sex on the Beach drinks last night, so I'm hungover. Also I'm a prissy f*ggot. Thank you very much" - Tumble

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

"Can I get scrambled tofu and soy bacon? I had TWO Sex on the Beach drinks last night, so I'm hungover. Also I'm a prissy f*ggot. Thank you very much" - Tumble

thanks for pointing out that Tumble post he is a huge bitch and i cant believe he recomended a light chickpea falafel with fermented beet juice

thats one of the gayest things I have ever read

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

thank you for self censoring a potential trigger word for me and my posting friends

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

hemophilia posted:

Its a bad place man.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

JakeP posted:

thanks for pointing out that Tumble post he is a huge bitch and i cant believe he recomended a light chickpea falafel with fermented beet juice

thats one of the gayest things I have ever read

Haha I just re-read his post and literally lol'd..... what a bitch

"Fermented beet juice" lmao

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I only go there for the anonymous gay sex, op

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Jonny 290 posted:

i think its because america has no real established, old food traditions. like, go to germany theyve been making fuckin' sausages for 1300 years or something stupid. china's been roasting ducks since jesus walked.

us? well we built this whole culture based on appropriating other food cultures, called it 'fusion' or yapped about melting pots or some dumb poo poo. lovely chains can attract millions of the dumber americans by constantly rotating menus and 'inventing new things'. ooh did you hear about that new pomegranate dijon chicken breast at applebees? boom you just camouflaged a bunch of lazy top-down corporate chain menu bullshit as innovative cuisine for basic bitches.

bonus points if you constantly do this as the customer facing effect of a shitload of supplier and upstream arbitration, selling people the poo poo you can get on sale as 'exotic'

america has a food culture, it's just relatively new and extremely regionalized and there's huge swaths of the country (i.e. the entire midwest) that have none worth mentioning

applebees is basically a sit-down mcdonald's as far as their cuisine goes, you can't judge an entire giant country based upon its worst cultural products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
easy and predictable food isn't a bad thing

• Locked thread