Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

People can't be named Isis on Facebook

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ontario-teen-fed-up-with-hassles-about-being-named-isis-1.3005014

quote:

Ontario teen fed up with hassles about being named Isis

Latest incident saw Facebook ask her to change the name on her account

A high-school student from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., is fed up with harassment she's received about her birth name, which hit a new low when she got barred from using it on Facebook.

Her name is Isis King and she's been taking undeserved flak because of the similarities her first name has to the Islamic State extremist group.

King said some people have told her they find her name offensive, that it's horrible or that she shouldn't have it at all.

Some of this has come from people at her high school, but she's also been served with a heavy dose of online abuse.

"They'll call me a terrorist, or a freak, and say I don't belong and stuff like that," King told CBC News in an interview this weekend.

Archer can't use Isis

http://www.avclub.com/article/archer-drops-isis-name-suddenly-finds-itself-bunch-210378

quote:

Archer drops ISIS name, suddenly finds itself with a bunch of unsellable t-shirts

or reasons we won’t get into here because, c’mon, read a drat newspaper, FX’s Archer has suddenly found itself in an uncomfortable position due to the show’s focus on an organization that operates under the acronym “ISIS.” Speaking at New York Comic-Con—which is like San Diego Comic-Con but everyone’s a bit pushier—Archer‘s cast and crew revealed how the show would respond to real life’s sudden intrusion on the ISIS name. According to co-executive producer Casey Willis, the show is going to drop ISIS as quickly and quietly as it can, with the name being addressed in a “very smart and subtle way” right in the first episode. That comes from the New York Daily News, but The Daily Beast has an actual description of the scene for anyone who doesn’t mind spoiling a little visual gag.

The Daily Beast also reports that the show has scrubbed any mention of ISIS from its upcoming season, and Jessica Walter even re-recorded some of her lines for the first episode to explain that the spy organization now works for the CIA. Matt Thompson, one of Archer‘s executive producers, referred to the real ISIS as “the most awful thing,” and he said the show’s staff “didn’t want to have anything to do with it.” He also notes that South Park would’ve done a whole arc about it, going after the terrorist organization for stealing their name, but in the Archer universe that version of ISIS simply doesn’t exist.

Hell ISIS can't be called Isis

http://theweek.com/speedreads/446139/france-says-name-isis-offensive-call-daesh-instead

quote:

France says the name 'ISIS' is offensive, will call it 'Daesh' instead

What's in a name? When it comes to how to refer to the extremist group that has terrorized Syria and northern Iraq and violently imposed a caliphate, a lot.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is a bit of a misnomer, says France, as it lends the imprimatur of Islam to a group that the vast majority of Muslims finds despicable. "This is a terrorist group and not a state. I do not recommend using the term Islamic State because it blurs the lines between Islam, Muslims, and Islamists," France's Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement. "The Arabs call it 'Daesh' and I will be calling them the 'Daesh cutthroats.'"

The name Daesh, according to France24, is a "loose acronym" for "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" (al-Dawla al-Islamiya al-Iraq al-Sham). The name is commonly used by enemies of ISIS, and it also has many negative undertones, as Daesh sounds similar to the Arabic words Daes ("one who crushes something underfoot") and Dahes ("one who sows discord").

gently caress people, just because an evil terrorist organization is named ISIS doesn't mean we have to gently caress everything named Isis. Like if a terrorist group calls itself "Apple", are we going to burn down apple stores and change the name of the fruit apples to "red oranges" or something stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wow, lets debate and discuss this

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Shadoer posted:

King said some people have told her they find her name offensive, that it's horrible or that she shouldn't have it at all.

"They'll call me a terrorist, or a freak, and say I don't belong and stuff like that," King told CBC News in an interview this weekend.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
nuke silicon valley

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Rename Something Awful to ISIS.com

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Fredrik1 posted:

Fredrik1 posted:

Fredrik1 posted:

Fredrik1 posted:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

why can't the name just go back to being an egyptian god and roman mystery cult?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

daesh

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
soo what you're saying is that I can finally open my bar 'AlQaedaholics Anonymous', now that the spotlight's off them? been sitting on this loving business plan for too long, need to take my shot...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

have we found bin laden yet?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the terrorists pretty much always win in the lamest way possible ie by causing massive personal inconvenience to every single westerner who eg goes through an airport, is named isis

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

the terrorists won OP.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

hemophilia posted:

why can't the name just go back to being an egyptian god and roman mystery cult?

Yeah, I don't understand how a whole bunch of people just forgot about that.

The news media really should have gone with Daesh though, it actually makes more sense and would have been less problematic

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

don't daesh me bro

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
one of the cats that lives next door is named isis
am i going to get blown up/beheaded

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

i cant wait for good Americans to picket the cats owners for being the terrorists they obvy are

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anf-Z0sajtA

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

d0s posted:

wow, lets debate and discuss this

Atypical nomenclatures are not of the :words::words::words::fuckoff:

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

I Said No posted:

one of the cats that lives next door is named isis
am i going to get blown up/beheaded

u already dead

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If they start calling it Daesh, that'll just cause problems with a lot of young african-american girls.

You know, presumably, I guess.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is a dark time to be nervous or have a stutter.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Isis "OBAMA" Hilter

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
and isis is such a good name, too. what a shame. let's petition them to change the group's name to "anus"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I had this problem years ago with my first daughters name, "the US deserved 9/11"

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

quakster posted:

and isis is such a good name, too. what a shame. let's petition them to change the group's name to "anus"

I'd sign it.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The real victims here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopiG1Qhlh8

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

quakster posted:

this is what im goign to be calling them from now on.

thanks quakster.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
"Honey, we're boring white suburban trash. Let's name our kids something interesting and 'exotic!' I know, how about Isis? That'll never backfire on our dumb asses."

Quick, some terrorist group name yourself Aiden.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
france is loving retarded

"ISIS is offensive, let's rename it to something that literally means the same thing"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

quakster posted:

the asslamic state

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ashgromnies posted:

france is loving retarded

"ISIS is offensive, let's rename it to something that literally means the same thing"

France just wants all words to be French.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

burritolingus posted:

"Honey, we're boring white suburban trash. Let's name our kids something interesting and 'exotic!' I know, how about Isis? That'll never backfire on our dumb asses."

:commissar:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
What do we change the name of that Egyptian goddess to?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

What do we change the name of that Egyptian goddess to?

Jesus

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Shadoer posted:

People can't be named Isis on Facebook

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ontario-teen-fed-up-with-hassles-about-being-named-isis-1.3005014

Archer can't use Isis

http://www.avclub.com/article/archer-drops-isis-name-suddenly-finds-itself-bunch-210378

Hell ISIS can't be called Isis

http://theweek.com/speedreads/446139/france-says-name-isis-offensive-call-daesh-instead

gently caress people, just because an evil terrorist organization is named ISIS doesn't mean we have to gently caress everything named Isis. Like if a terrorist group calls itself "Apple", are we going to burn down apple stores and change the name of the fruit apples to "red oranges" or something stupid?

Really want to start a terrorist cell named Apple to see how people deal with it.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

https://www.avid.com/US/products/family/ISIS

still a thing

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

burritolingus posted:

i don't think white trash would know anything of Egyptian mythology. i could be wrong.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
this is bullshit cause Isis Taylor still has a career

the problem is this girl isnt an attractive, racially ambiguous woman who spreads her rear end

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

i don't think white trash would know anything of Egyptian mythology. i could be wrong.

Nah they got the Internet. When they have kids they use it to look up "interesting names." It's how a coworker of a friend wound up naming her kid Freyja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Let's rename it to Creating Power Vacuums In The Middle East is Fun

• Locked thread