Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

adhuin posted:

On Mastermind front, LIVE 34 and RRRRRRED are very good 7th Doctor stories.

Fixed that for you.

The latter day Seven/Hex/Ace audios (specifically the Black and White TARDIS ones) are also an interesting take on the Mastermind theme, since Seven gets completely played by the gods, without even realising it - thinking he's the one doing the playing, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Didn't a lot of people post about hating the Big Finish Key to Time here? Or was it just the Graceless spin-off? I'm a bit into the second part (The Destroyer of Delights) and it's actually really good so far. They're definitely rolling the dice with it, because one of the Companion Chronicles in the middle of it is told from the bad sister's perspective, although I have to admit that even though I objected to that on principle, the story was actually pretty okay except for the ending.

I really enjoyed the first two - Judgement of Isskar and The Destroyer of Delights. It was really refreshing to hear Davison's Doctor paired with someone who genuinely wants to learn from him, instead of the 'exasperated Dad shepherding rowdy and unenthusiastic kids around' thing he usually has going on.

The third part is an unpleasant, incoherent mess, though. And also, though I've not heard Graceless, I couldn't think of two less suitable spin-off characters than Amy and her sister that I can't remember the name of. They were (literally) made for this plot.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

After The War posted:

I started Assassin in the Limelight today and realized I juuuuust missed hearing it on the 150th anniversary of the day it takes place :(

Also, the accents. Good God, the accents.

Again, they're all American or Canadian actors!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Weirdly there doesn't seem to be any UKIP donors that have TV production companies. I would have assumed this was a Richard Desmond inspired policy but I forgot that he sold his interest in Channel 5 in 2014.

Edit: The fact I can go to the electoral commission's website and download a CSV file full of donor data is pretty great.

It's because they're obsessed with the idea that the BBC is a lefty-invested hive mind that is systematically conspiring against them (which is, of course, nonsense - the BBC have given them far more exposure than they would otherwise warrant, especially compared to left wing parties or trade unions)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I hated the idea of the War Doctor, and would have preferred poor, battered old Eight to have to push the big red button.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm in the blue jacket next to the fellow with the macbook

What (Doctor), no The Coat?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The dynamic of Clara and Twelve's playfully mocking relationship is great and I hope we see a lot more of it, love those two together. When was Capaldi cast? I can't help but wonder if they did a screentest of Coleman and Capaldi in secret.

Hopefully now that we've gotten the payoff of the whole age thing with Twelve saying he doesn't see Clara's age in the Christmas Special old-age bit (which was obviously meant to be more significant when she was leaving), we can stop with the calling her old thing though.

Plus the whole calling her fat thing as well.

I also hope 12 mellows out a bit and stops being such a shithead all the time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The brain worm.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I will never forget where I was when I listened to the end of The Nowhere Place. Toys R Us in Times Square, by the Transformers.

What a trip.

Something to tell the grand kids, eh?

I hated Something Inside so, so much. The tedious amnesia storyline seemed like an afterthought, the negative space between the constant repetition of the words 'brain' and 'worm' and That Musical Sting (you know the one)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's truly miraculous how Strax never gets old. Wanging Clara with the newspaper, falling down in the big rescue scene, it's all amazing slapstick.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor in...Rrrrred.

Fixed that for ya, bud.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Reading through the Toxx/Occ thread is amazing. I've found myself rewatching a few episodes as he's reviewed them, and appreciating them all over again. Just rewatched Vampires of Venice and I've found I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did on broadcast. It's a genuinely good episodes. 5 Rorys out of 5.

I've been saying this for the last five [Rory] years out of five.

Strongly disapprove of the drubbing The Rings of Akhaten is currently getting over there, though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Oh well. Five and Nyssa written by Alan Barnes is next, which should hopefully be goofy enough to be a good palette cleanser.

I recently re-listened to Castle of Fear, and it's genuinely pretty funny. Have fun.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they just looked at the cover? "Oh, something like Animals of Farthing Wood? U certificate for that. Time for the pub."

Watership Down is the worst thing to show to children. I remember seeing it years ago, I was possibly about 4/5 and was horrified.

Animals of Farthing Wood was also straight up brutal at times. A butcher bird skewering all of Mrs Field Mouse's little babies on thorns comes to mind.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

poo poo :(

And that's about the worst cancer you can get...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tomtrek posted:

Big Finish just announced a whole bunch of new series related content:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bf27june

That's... quite a lot! Mixing old Doctors with new series enemies is really interesting. It seems like they're basically being allowed to play with anything that isn't a new series Doctor at this point.

Holy gently caress.

I love you, Nicholas Briggs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I would bet money at this point that they have the rights to do nine stories and haven't convinced Eccleston to sign up. Dan Starkey has also been hinting a lot and I would actually bet money they've got something in the works related to the Paternoster Gang. This is all really fantastic news, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Companion Chronicle or something with Rose before the end of 2016.

The River stuff all depends on execution, of course, so there will probably be some great stories and some terrible stories, but it will be soooo worth it for the great stories. Of course she's starting with Eight, because the Doctor has to forget about her before meeting her in Silence in the Library, and what's one more bout of memory erasure for Eight. :haw:

You probably already know this, being a Cool and Good Big Finish listener, but Dan Starkey's already been in a couple of stories - I think the latest one was Dark Eyes IV - as a variety of Sontarans (not just oafish Straxalikes, either). So he's already well involved in the audio scene.

Dan Starkey is the Nick Briggs of Sontarans, basically, and so long as he doesn't wind up feeling typecast, that's pretty cool.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Baker, Pertwee and Smith all have really great first seasons. Which doctor has the worst do you think? It's probably Colin isn't it? Even if you charitably ignore Twin Dilemma as the back end of a Davison season. I would say McCoy but I think Paradise Towers saves it.

Tennant's is pretty drat weaksauce, but no-one got hosed over worse than Colin. His first season is in a different league entirely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

They have that violin sting sound effect whenever they move on the telly, I'm sure they can use that in a similar manner.

I mean, I don't exactly think it's a great idea, but it's doable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Plus, don't underestimate the quality of the other features. Whatever exists, you get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1Wq8w5qmE

Perhaps it's just because he's already familiar as the Doctor, but Sly kills it in that audition and the other two are complete crap. I mean, I know that was the point, but still, the disparity is pretty remarkable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

JNT and Sylv and the rest are pretty much spot-on about the problem. If there's one constant with the Doctor, it's animation. There hasn't really been a Doctor that's utterly laid back. Even Tom at his spaciest was very energetically spacey.

Peter Davison (He Who May Be Kissed) was pretty laidback. You definitely get the impression he'd rather just have a nice quiet time playing cricket or looking at cool space stuff, rather than having to deal with adventuring and a TARDIS full of kids.

I'd definitely like a less bombastic Doctor soon, though. Perhaps a bit bookish and weird. Matt Smith seemed to be shaping up that way briefly, but then he started being written as a manic man-child. Which was ok, but could've been better.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

You're right that it doesn't matter that much, especially Doctor Who canon. And I wanna state again I have plenty of good Doctor Who to watch, so I'm not too bothered. But it is still poorly thought out, poorly implemented retrojection. If Moffat was at season 5 punching weight I wouldn't mind as much.

I've got some seven audios I wanna listen to but I can't choose between House of Blue Fire and Lurkers at Sunlights Edge. Anyone have opinions on either?

House of Blue Fire, in my humble but awesome opinion.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Love that Two's doing the hand-wringing thing, love how loving pleased with himself Six looks, and amused at Ten's smarmy poo poo-eating smile.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Capaldi just did an incredibly nerdy interview on the Doctor Who FB page (I can't seem to find a way to link it, since it's just a post...).

He has great taste in episodes. His favourites from Classic Who are pretty predictable, but his favourites from the new series?

Rose, The Girl In The Fireplace, The Vampires of Venice, and the Rings of Akhaten :getin:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm also not particularly fussed about the Fourth Doctor. Or, if I'm honest, the Third.

Troughton, C.Bakes, McCoy, and McGann, they are my classic series jam.

Edit - Nine is amazing, though, and still juuust about my favourite new series Doctor, followed infinitesimally closely by Smith, then the other two rather distantly from that.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 2, 2015

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's the Doctor, he's been in quite a few new series episodes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Private Eye is also usually really good and reliable.

Dabir posted:

bring back russel the davies

I always liked the guy, but I loved him for that.

'Hi Peter, Russell T here! Russell 'The' Davies! Hah, funny.'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

He looks like he got dressed in the dark. Tshirt, hoodie, fancy coat, Troughton trousers. Make up your mind!

Yeah, definitely got the 'given twenty pounds and sent into a charity shop for anything that fits' look.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Not... really. They had massive trouble with the lights coming off the pearlescent paintjob on the Enterprise and they had to underlight the model and use an unconventional matte technique to compensate and it kinda shows. It's really washed out and low-contrast and there's still pretty heavy matte lines at times (look at the bit below where it's coming in front of earth, just before the sun flares). And they just weren't able to actually capture the effect in the end - it was meant to glimmer with colours as light played across the sheen.

compare that last to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1hxvPOIhE

Honestly, of all the films I'd like to see get the TNG HD effect, it's TMP the most, because they could probably use computer matteing and digital colour correction to make that thing sing. Maybe even bring out the pearlescence. (Which was painted over in subsequent films).

That said, it still looks drat incredible just because of how wonderful the actual design and detailing on the Enterprise Refit itself was. Despite being designed in the 70s, it would absolutely look in-place in a film today. (In my opinion , anyway) It's timeless and the quality of detail on the model is just insane.

...sorry, you said Star Trek and set me off. Please return to your regular Doctor Who discussion.

God, the Refit Enterprise really is the most beautiful sci fi ship ever made.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol at Tennant being dark and serious, and not just a frowny-face hystrionic squirrel

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Without spoiling too much, the ending of Zygon will have consequences down the line.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I can't be bothered to go through them right now, but from what I recall pretty much the whole Seven/Ace/Hex run is solid and occasionally great. Especially if you particularly like Chess Master/fighting ancient gods Seven.

Except the Australian one, whatever that was called. That's really pants.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

It's just a shame that nothing at all in Elevens run points to it until 10 minutes before it's resolved.

Yup. Totally shoehorned in.

Ten's end made perfect sense already, because he was a massive prima donna. Capaldi would've made a much more logical 'last Doctor', to be honest.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

People project an awful lot onto Capaldi's character because he makes rude comments and is socially incompetent. Throughout the series he shows a passion for learning and new experiences and multiple times has risked his life needlessly to save people, but he doesn't take a personal interest in people all the time and called a soldier a meat head, so people are turned off by him who weren't turned off by Ten condemning the family of blood to eternal living hells.

I thought Ten was a shithead and the worst Doctor yet, but I still don't like Capaldi's doctor for all the reasons SIKboy said. I don't mind socially incompetent or even plain old rude, but Twelve often comes off as flat out cruel.

I too hope that he mellows the gently caress out next series.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I don't really remember him being cruel, could you give ten examples?

OK, perhaps 'cruel' is too strong - 'callous' is probably better.

It isn't so much that he doesn't take an interest in people, it's that he so often seems to feel this weird need to remind them how much he doesn't care, and how unimportant they are. I mean, maybe I'm just an idiot who's missing some deep subtextual characterisation going on, but as SIKboy said, half the time he seems to act as if adventuring, talking to people, or doing pretty much anything is just a massive chore. Which is why when he gets 'softer' moments like the 'do you really think I care so little' speech, they come off, to me, as weird and unearned.

Cleretic posted:

I still think it's a valid interpretation to read Twelve as mildly autistic. He's got that approach of caring but being unable/unwilling to express it, getting overfocused on something so much that he stops paying attention to other people and things, all that.

I know some autistic traits have often been part of the Doctor, but Twelve's got them especially heavily.

I've worked with quite a few autistic people, and while they're definitely way into their own thing and have a lot of trouble expressing emotion, they've always been gentle, earnest and studiously unaggressive. That isn't to say that that's the case for all autistic people; but it is to say that Twelve could have easily embodied those parts of the Doctor without cracking jokes about people's friends dying.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Mm, yes, short clips where characters just talk in cryptic cyphers are always good.

Yeah, what the gently caress was that about

EDIT - Twelve seems a bit more chilled out, though. That's good to see.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Clever clever episode titles and some synopses released. Spoilers, no doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/fd3d5d2b-bb11-4e24-862e-7ce282413e1c

• Locked thread