Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
After 5 years you burn out on this job but realize you're literally not qualified to do any other job except Walmart greeter so you stay here for another 15 years being miserable until you retire and die a few years later due to liver cirrhosis or heart failure because of years of McDonald's and sedentary living.

Living the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Serious discussion: Has active shooter and rapid deployment training changed the outcome of any mass-shootings since Columbine?

I think this is tough to answer, it's almost like answering "how many crimes did the police prevent by patrolling yesterday". Many mass shooters self-terminate, so in examples like the NIU and Virginia Tech shooting, I think it's arguable that at least some lives were saved by a swift police response.

There are still D&D posters arguing for the disarming of American police and to hell with the consequences that might bring.

Dead Reckoning posted:

So officers would be allowed to keep and bear arms as private citizens, but not while on duty? Do you think that officers having less capacity for force than the people they are supposed to police might be a problem? If faced with a school shooter or armed robber, would officers need to wait for the firearms unit, even though rapid action can often save lives?

twodot posted:

These are so easy to answer I figured they were rhetorical, but if you really want them:
Yes. No. Yes.

I really don't know where to start.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 2, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

You guys have never done ANY active shooter drills or training? :psyduck:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Bachelor. I got through half of a graduate program before bailing on it because I couldn't juggle two jobs, school, and a life. I'd like to finish my masters eventually but don't really feel compelled to because there are no tangible benefits to doing so unless I want to be chief some day I guess.

V - lol

The Shep fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 2, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, copgoons, quick question. Do any of your departments actually do any practical threat assessment training on the regular? I'm talking about the sort that actually includes practical exercises in when to escalate to violence.

I keep hearing in local political bullshit that part of the problem with any sort of reform is that there "just isn't any budget" for training, and I'm curious as to your experiences.

In my experience, I would participate in probably 8-16 hours of practical scenario training each year. This included various active shooter, rapid deployment, firearms drills, room clearing, felony stops, etc. The majority of training that officers go to, in my experience, is classroom based. For example, most recently I attended a 16 hour refresher and update class on vehicle and traffic laws. On average, I would say I attend 3-6 days a year of additional and refresher training.

Most of the training that cops get is at the academy and on the job field training, after that it's varies from department to department. All cops attend generally a 3-6 month academy basic training course and then go on to an additional 3-6 months of field training with experienced officers. Most cops will tell you that it really takes 3-5 years before you're really settled in to doing the job and feel comfortable and confident doing everything it entails.

There is a bigger focus on training now then there has ever been in law enforcement, though I agree it's still lacking. The fact that there are no on-going training standards between departments or to a lesser extent, states, is a problem as well.

Budget concerns are an issue like you mentioned, but man-power is probably just as big of an issue. The vast majority of police departments in the country are something like 1-20 man departments. Taking 1 or 2 officers out of shift rotation to send them to training puts a hurt on the schedule that is difficult to cover.

SedanChair joked (although was likely serious) that SWAT teams aren't trained. I disagree. The multi-jurisdictional SWAT teams in my area train more often than any other unit I'm aware of. The problem though is that if you talk to D&D, they have this idea of some mythical level of training and qualifications that can't be met because there is not infinity money and the applicant pool isn't going to get any better than it already is without substantially raising salaries, and even then it might not change much. PD's are having a tough time as it is recruiting qualified applicants, and you'd be surprised that qualified applicant and level of education aren't necessarily related to eachother.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I will never get tired of hearing idiots extolling the virtues of "small government" while being totally ignorant to the massive inefficiencies in having dozens of law enforcement agencies in each region with a web of jurisdiction and independent training, management and equipment systems.

Small government and local units of government are two completely different things.

My state, Illinois, has one of the largest, if not the largest number of local units of governments. Something like 7000 units of government between cities, townships, libraries, school boards, forest preserves, park districts, water reclamation districts, etc. Many Republicans support eliminating some of these overlapping jurisdictions and consolidating because that saves money and is what small government is about.

Maybe since you're in Canada you're talking about something else?

For reference: https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/too-much-government-illinois-thousands-of-local-governments/

It's stupid that we have 3 man police departments, but I don't think a central state police agency controlling everything is the answer either. If anything, rolling back more police jurisdiction to the county level and absorbing some of these small town PDs would be a better way to handle things. But it would cause people to lose jobs and many towns don't want to lose local control of their police force for obvious political reasons.

Oh, and the sheriff comes with its own political problems. At least on the local level you have civil service lists and not the sheriff picking whoever he wants to be hired.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 4, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Oh god the case law... :negative:

I like when two different circuit courts have similar cases with opposing outcomes.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Move to Minnesota?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I've been on the job for 9 years and I've never testified in a criminal trial. I've been to grand jury a few times and testified in traffic court once. :parrot:

I blame it on my excellent report writing. Also I've worked for slower departments and haven't made close to 1,000 arrests like our illustrious OP.

Untagged posted:

I have to give sworn testimony before a magistrate for every arrest

hosed up if true.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 4, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

deratomicdog posted:

Also, never become the only Intoximeter operator for the shift or you will get called in on your day off by rear end in a top hat lawyers who don't have any questions for you, they just want to see if you are going to show up.

This is the vast majority of my court appearances nowadays.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Yes. A group of (theoretically) trained adults working together using real-time radio communications should be able to take a knife away from a single individual without using guns. In the theoretical circumstance where an officer is alone in an alleyway (with firearm already in hand), no escape route, and gets charged by a person with a knife then of course using the firearm in actual self defense makes perfect sense.

How do we disarm a person with a knife who refuses to drop it or give it up and charges officers?

Assume you have 2 officers on duty with back-up being 5-10 minutes away. Maybe add in a crowd or some family members that may or may not be interfering.

FRINGE posted:

The problem that is often cited as "lack of training" is actually more of "inappropriate training methods".

What are your qualifications to make such a statement?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

The whole point is that cops all across America take troubled people into custody everyday without problems. You just don't hear about those.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

I think this thread is destined to be a festering shithole so w/e

It's been going pretty well so far imo.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

FRINGE posted:

I agree with the intention/direction of a lot of what you said - and the things I would disagree (or adjust/ add to) I will save for some other thread.

Don't let smiling jack bully you out of the thread. Be firm in your convictions.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

effort posts are beyond most of us at this point but I don't mind reading rational discussion.

I agree with this sentiment.

I try to effort post sometimes but am too easily triggered by basement sociologists trying to tell me how to safely disarm someone. This isn't directed at anyone specifically, I've lost my will to talk smack about D&D and I still welcome anyone's poast here but I'll just let Kiryen reply to keep my blood pressure down.

Smiling Jack is my bro the blue wall stands strong friend.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Would doubling personnel cut into my OT :ohdear:

Not if you double shift minimums as well!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Grem posted:

Gayyyyyy

He's probably an air marshal. :sun:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

somewhatpathetic posted:

We have this guy up in Baltimore who does the same thing, but also likes to get peed on I guess.

EDIT: His website is gold.

"There response is official."

Who wrote this? Untagged?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

"There response is official."

Who wrote this? Branis?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is having a tazer an escalation of force to imminent deadly threat?

Generally, yes. A taser can completely incapacitate you if used against you. However, you'd still have to prove that within the totality of circumstances you had to defend yourself from imminent death or great bodily harm. Just reaching for the weapon could rise to the level of a deadly threat if the attempt at obtaining your weapon could or does overpower you, or the attempts are repeated and done with force. There'd obviously be a lot of factors at play with those that make it hard to give a blanket statement.

This is not a response to anything in the video, just a generic response to your question.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 8, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Once the taser has been discharged it would be really loving tough to articulate deadly force unless the guy is on top of you drive stunning you.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

I just want to say that in rural america where minorities are always scarce, we are prefectly content ruining white peoples days.

Hillbillies?

Also, I think you'd go in the right lane if you wanted to go straight. Left lane is for left turns. Were the lanes not marked?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Hi yes, thanks for taking my post. First time caller, long time listener. Love the show. I heard on Twitter that all cops are bad and racist. Can you confirm/deny? Thanks, I'll just listen to the answers.

Confirmed. Show's over boys, let's pack it in and head home. Cat's out of the bag.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Drunks are stupid loud assholes and there's nothing you can really do. The cop gave her plenty of chances and orders to leave but she refused and caused a scene. I'm not sure on the back story but it looks like maybe ihop employees called the police so that's why they're there. Business owners generally don't want loud annoying drunks in their store. If they don't leave your only option is to physically remove them. Don't underestimate women, it's very difficult to arrest a resisting person even if it's just small framed female, especially if you're trying to do it without hurting the person.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

YOU'RE DOING THIS TO ANOTHER AMERICAN

ISN'T ANYONE GONNA DO ANYTHING????

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Ask a Cop: lol maple syrup

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Hey cops, what does "ACAB" stand for?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=acab

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I was watching the cruiser slowly gimp toward the guy thinking poo poo that aint nothing. Then the other cruiser comes in from the right hauling rear end and creams the dude and i was like drat... didnt expect that.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

We are dispatched to any and all accidents no matter how minor and take reports for any crashes with $1500 in damage or more. In my experience just chipping the paint on a bumper is nearly $1000 nowadays so the result is we take reports on almost every single accident we go to.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I once went around the guy stopped in the opposite lanes of traffic on a 4 lane divided highway because he stopped for a school bus that was in the oncoming lanes. In my state you don't have to stop for buses if you're on the other side of a divided highway. He started honking at me and tailgated me giving me the middle finger. What an idiot.

I've also had a bus driver honk at me. Even they don't know the law.

I'd say 95% of the people don't fully know the laws regarding when you do and don't have to stop for buses. I almost always get stuck waiting in traffic because of all the idiots stopping for a school bus in the oncoming lanes.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Why don't we get rid of police altogether? I mean really, what do they do besides generate revenue and kill black people?

If someone actually commits a crime, the victim can just contact their local state's attorney office who can get a warrant and the suspect can voluntarily turn himself into the court of jurisdiction.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

USMC503 posted:

So the WaPo put out this article.

Does this seem plausible to you guys, or does it, in your opinion, seem more than likely some sort of spin to claim reasonable doubt?

A couple weeks ago I arrested a combative drunk who was the passenger in a car with a DUI driver (who was also arrested). When we got him into the holding cell, we started hearing loud pounding. We ran in to see what was going on and he was bashing his head against the wall repeatedly. We had to restrain him and literally babysit him until we could bond him out.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's a question: there have been a few cases recently where a prisoner insisted that they couldn't breathe, or needed a doctor, or were otherwise in distress, and the sheriffs basically laughed them off. Do a certain percentage of people you detain insist that the cuffs are too tight or otherwise act like they're dying, to the point that people start to tune it out, or were these sheriffs just shitheels?

Everyone complains about the handcuffs, they complain about any force we have to use at all to restrain or control them. I have no problem calling paramedics when my prisoner claims he has been injured or is in distress, but I always tell them that if they're lying, they're going to be out over a thousand bucks for a fake ambulance ride and ER visit and that's usually enough to get them to back down.

Oddly enough, the people that claim to have injuries or be in pain are the ones that always seem to fight or resist the most. In the DUI arrest I mentioned above, when I tried to arrest the driver he refused to put his hands behind his back and it took two of us to control each arm and forcefully get him into cuffs, the whole time he was yelling about having a busted shoulder, etc.

Claiming a medical emergency does not get you out of an arrest. On the few occasions when there was an actual medical issue and the prisoner was transported to the ER, we would just remand them to the custody of the ER doctor and then get warrants the following day. If it's a felony arrest, we try to station an officer with the prisoner at the hospital until they're released.

Branis posted:

all I know is if you look at that dudes criminal history its a perfect example of why we need to end the drug war

Yes, he's a real contributor to the community I'm sure. Why can't people just sell their drugs and destroy families and communities in peace?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 1, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drat, all BPD officers charged. I didn't see that coming. :stare:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Volume posted:

If they did nothing wrong then they have nothing to worry about.

If they did nothing wrong then they shouldn't have been charged.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Jfc guys it was a smartass response to what was a smartass comment to begin with.

I never said they did nothing wrong, I never said there was no probable cause, I said that I didn't see this coming. Murder seems like a stretch and some of the lesser charges seem trumped up but I'm an objective observer and hopefully there's something to this investigation that supports such a wide net of charges.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I can't imagine they'd have anymore information than the elements of the offense that were violated.

I did read that they all turned themselves in on warrants.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Untagged posted:

Remember that time you answered the radio call to go assist that transport van driver get that dude under control? Yeah, that dude ended up dying later and YOU ARE NOW CHARGED WITH MURDER. SURPRISE!

"Do you seriously think they did nothing wrong?"

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the felony murder rule requires some sort of mens rea.

Felony murder first requires the commission of a felony, unless not buckling the prisoner into the transport van is a felony, it wouldn't apply.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Saying "cops are out there to stop crimes" is just simply a close-minded and juvenile view of the institution as a whole and what we do.

Maybe under Sir Robert Peel that was the primary charge of police, but in 2015 police are law enforcement, social worker, babysitter, mediator, etc. There are so many aspects of this job that don't fall under criminal activity that it would boggle the mind of those who don't know. I've helped old ladies back into wheelchairs, I've brought stranded motorists gas (that I've paid for), I've brought kids to school, I've locked up residences of people who left on vacation and forgot to lock their door, and on and on.

To put it another way, police are the only governmental agency and public service available 24 hours a day, everyday, at the touch of a button, for free.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Your fire fighters don't qualify for this?

Good luck getting the volunteer FD to respond out of bed at 3am when you've run out of gas on the side of the road and don't have money for a tow.

The police are societies catch-all.

• Locked thread