Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

So officers would be allowed to keep and bear arms as private citizens, but not while on duty? Do you think that officers having less capacity for force than the people they are supposed to police might be a problem? If faced with a school shooter or armed robber, would officers need to wait for the firearms unit, even though rapid action can often save lives?

It wouldn't be much money. All the homeland security stuff is provided at little cost, having been already bought, paid for and used by the federal government.

Considering that 99% of all policing doesn't involve physical violence, or even the threat of violence, I think the good ones will manage. For the <1% of other times, those are actually cases where specialized units should be, not Molly the Meter Maid waving her gun around trying to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/26/san-francisco-jail-gladiator-fights_n_6952220.html

quote:

Inmates at a San Francisco jail were forced into "gladiator-style fights" by sheriff's deputies who bet on the outcomes, according to a public defender.

The accusations are “outrageously sadistic scenarios that sound like its out of Game of Thrones," public defender Jeff Adachi told The San Francisco Examiner.

Adachi said in a news release that the fights were orchestrated by Deputy Scott Neu, who made 150-pound Rico Palikiko Garcia to fight 350-pound Stanly Harris twice this month at the jail in the city's Hall of Justice.

The two were promised hamburgers for winning, and "threatened with Mace, handcuffed beatings, and transfers to dangerous housing quarters if they refused to fight," the news release said. And when both men were injured in the fight, they were told they would be beaten if they sought medical attention.

But that's not all!

quote:

Inmates also allege that Neu liked to gamble with them -- but the stakes would often be their own possessions and food.

But how could anyone have known that this deputy was such a loving psycho?

quote:

Neu was accused of forcing a male and female inmate to perform sex acts on him in a 2006 case that was settled out of court, the public defender's office said.

Oh...yeah, that definitely sounds like someone that shouldn't be in jail themself, or at the very least fired. Let's let them keep their job!

:negative:

The SF Sheriff's dept. is no stranger to gently caress ups though. Recently:

-a deputy robbed a bank
-a deputy beat a crippled old man in the hospital with no provocation, and then filed a false police report claiming he was assaulted
-a lieutenant was arrested for missing court-mandated domestic violence training
-a prisoner with federal drugs/weapons charges escaped from county jail after being accidentally assigned to a low-security detail taking out the trash with no restraints.
-prisoners getting abused
-the sheriff roughed up his wife

And then there's the SFPD bag of poo poo:

-the current police chief, Greg Suhr, was demoted years ago from deputy chief to captain, because he helped cover up an abuse scandal (some cops beat up some dudes and stole their fajitas) and more recently he fired an SFPD lawyer and her supervisor after she exposed Suhr's mishandling of a domestic violence case involving his friend.
-homicide inspectors immediately classified the murder of a French citizen as a suicide and neglected to investigate at all, which lead to french investigators, coroners from neighboring counties, and private investigators all looking into it, and saying "it's a murder, you loving idiots", and the SFPD responding with "no it's not" :smug: (PS: the medical examiner who was supposed to determine cause of death was the girlfriend of the lead inspector on the case)
-letting an evidence warehouse get overrun with feral cats
-shooting innocent bystanders
-the usual beating and intimidating people, and taking years to fire a problem officer who was known to constantly beat and intimidate people
-plain clothes officers conducting searches with no warrant, falsifying records, and stealing money and drugs from suspects
-losing a dead body in their own impound lot for a month while the murder suspects escaped to Mexico . Was it the SFPD's hard work that caught the suspects finally? Nope, it was some random dude from San Diego, who spent $150 on wanted posters, and drove to Mexico and handed them out .
-a crime lab technician stole cocaine from evidence and caused 700+ 1,700 (!!) cases to be thrown out
-another tech altered DNA evidence, and repeatedly failed proficiency tests (and the supervisor supposedly didn't notice), jeopardizing 1,400 cases...the SFPD is saying they were barred from handling evidence after failing the test, so why were they allowed to keep handling evidence?
-officers got caught sending racist and homophobic texts to each other

What else?

They also manipulated violent crime statistics to the extent that the total violent crime rate appeared 20% lower on any given year, by intentionally misclassifying all aggravated assaults involving domestic violence...meaning that SF's true violent crime rate over the past decade or more has often been on par/higher than places like Newark and Dallas, and almost as high as cities like Richmond California, and even New Orleans once or twice (it's extra funny because of the weird misconception many people have that SF is extra non-violent for a big US city). This was revealed back in 2009 by the police chief himself (George Gascon, who was new on the job and supposedly wanted to reform things. He's now the DA), but I only ever found two small articles about it in free local papers that not many people read; the SF Examiner and the SF Weekly.....which are both gone from the internet now ( I saved the stats from the articles though if anyone wants to see them). So it was 99% ignored by the media, and the two articles that did exist are no longer available. It wouldn't surprise me if there was massive pressure from the police commission or city government, or something, to try and keep it under wraps. It's not like similar cover ups haven't happened before in this city (the biggest ones i can think of are suppressing news coverage of the huge VJ-day WWII riot, and massively downplaying the death toll from the 1906 earthquake so investors wouldn't be scared away). What else could explain a big story like that getting almost zero media attention, even after the chief himself brought it up? I thought the media usually tripped over themselves to report on click-bait money-making poo poo like that? The SFPD seems to still be loving with the stats too, because the aggravated assault rate never spiked upwards after this was admitted, and actually dropped instead (which is one hell of a convenient coincidence for the SFPD, if it wasn't the result of continued stats-screwing). No one I've ever met knows about this, and now that the articles are gone, it makes me feel like a crazy person.

:tinfoil:

I guess the alternative explanation is that George Gascon was high as gently caress when he revealed the crime-stats screwing, and was actually wrong about it all, so it became a non-story.

Hell, several years ago the fraud unit was so overworked that they were expediting cases involving elderly victims, so that they wouldn't die before there was an investigation (the backlog of cases was so big that it would take months/years of work to investigate them all). Thankfully they eventually got more manpower but goddamn. The SFPD recently had one of the lowest homicide clearance rates for a big US city too. In 2007 and 2008 it was about on par with Detroit, at 25%-30%. The national average at the time was around 50%. The SFPD's clearance rate is now up to 60%-70% though, which is quite an improvement.

http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/once-a-joke-sfpd-is-actually-solving-murders-these-days/Content?oid=2174812

There obviously needs to be some reform when it comes to policing and the justice system as a whole. And on that note, the DA is opening an investigation into law enforcement misconduct in SF:

http://abc7news.com/news/sf-da-to-investigate-law-enforcement-misconduct-allegations/590304/

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spun Dog posted:

I know. There's never money for anything that they don't want to do, is there? Body cameras, rape kits, ethics classes...no problem on the MRAP though, it's a bargain.
MRAPS are free and the reason they are free is because nobody wants them. DoD tried to sell them and even the sort of tinpots that are usually all over a deal on armored peasant-murder-machines wouldn't touch them. Police departments mostly just park them on a backlot somewhere and bring them out once a year for the county fair.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rent-A-Cop posted:

MRAPS are free and the reason they are free is because nobody wants them. DoD tried to sell them and even the sort of tinpots that are usually all over a deal on armored peasant-murder-machines wouldn't touch them. Police departments mostly just park them on a backlot somewhere and bring them out once a year for the county fair.

I know. There's never money for anything that they don't want to do, is there?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm sure if you got everyone to agree to a tax hike in order to hire trainers and pay officers overtime to come in on their off duty days in order to take anti-racism training or force-on-force classes, there would be no problem, but for some reason that proposition is unpopular.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Ugh if only we could use this massive military budget to send experts to train local police forces not to act like scared white gun owners, but alas, all the money is tied up producing equipment no one needs.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Mavric posted:

Ugh if only we could use this massive military budget to send experts to train local police forces not to act like scared white gun owners, but alas, all the money is tied up producing equipment no one needs.

*Puts two wars on a credit card*

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I know, maybe we can cut all funding to food stamps and welfare programs so we can hire them. God knows they will need the extra training for the coming race riots.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm sure if you got everyone to agree to a tax hike in order to hire trainers and pay officers overtime to come in on their off duty days in order to take anti-racism training or force-on-force classes, there would be no problem, but for some reason that proposition is unpopular.
And since America doesn't have a national police force you'd have to convinced about 15,000 individual localities separately.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And since America doesn't have a national police force you'd have to convinced about 15,000 individual localities separately.

America has many agencies full of LEOs who operate at a national level, like the marshal service, secret service, FBI, etc:confused:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mavric posted:

I don't know where you think the military is keeping this highly trained division of conflict de-escalation experts, but I haven't met any of them yet. Putting a whole lot of bullets in someone is among the less destructive ways the military responds to holstile actions or intentions.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

America has many agencies full of LEOs who operate at a national level, like the marshal service, secret service, FBI, etc:confused:
Who all have jurisdiction limited to specific federal crimes and are not in any way a national police force.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rah! posted:

An excellent post

Thanks for this post. It's horrifying and depressing, but the effort is appreciated.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't know where you think the military is keeping this highly trained division of conflict de-escalation experts, but I haven't met any of them yet. Putting a whole lot of bullets in someone is among the less destructive ways the military responds to holstile actions or intentions.

Ugh too bad we can't reallocate the military budget to things other than the military.

Edit: Oh I know! We can pay those European police to train ours, they seem to be on the ball.

Mavric fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 2, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Rah! posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/26/san-francisco-jail-gladiator-fights_n_6952220.html

But that's not all!

But how could anyone have known that this deputy was such a loving psycho?

Oh...yeah, that definitely sounds like someone that shouldn't be in jail themself, or at the very least fired. Let's let them keep their job!

:negative:

The SF Sheriff's dept. is no stranger to gently caress ups though. Recently:

-a deputy robbed a bank
-a deputy beat a crippled old man in the hospital with no provocation, and then filed a false police report claiming he was assaulted
-a lieutenant was arrested for missing court-mandated domestic violence training
-a prisoner with federal drugs/weapons charges escaped from county jail after being accidentally assigned to a low-security detail taking out the trash with no restraints.
-prisoners getting abused
-the sheriff roughed up his wife

And then there's the SFPD bag of poo poo:

-the current police chief, Greg Suhr, was demoted years ago from deputy chief to captain, because he helped cover up an abuse scandal (some cops beat up some dudes and stole their fajitas) and more recently he fired an SFPD lawyer and her supervisor after she exposed Suhr's mishandling of a domestic violence case involving his friend.
-homicide inspectors immediately classified the murder of a French citizen as a suicide and neglected to investigate at all, which lead to french investigators, coroners from neighboring counties, and private investigators all looking into it, and saying "it's a murder, you loving idiots", and the SFPD responding with "no it's not" :smug: (PS: the medical examiner who was supposed to determine cause of death was the girlfriend of the lead inspector on the case)
-letting an evidence warehouse get overrun with feral cats
-shooting innocent bystanders
-the usual beating and intimidating people, and taking years to fire a problem officer who was known to constantly beat and intimidate people
-plain clothes officers conducting searches with no warrant, falsifying records, and stealing money and drugs from suspects
-losing a dead body in their own impound lot for a month while the murder suspects escaped to Mexico . Was it the SFPD's hard work that caught the suspects finally? Nope, it was some random dude from San Diego, who spent $150 on wanted posters, and drove to Mexico and handed them out .
-a crime lab technician stole cocaine from evidence and caused 700+ 1,700 (!!) cases to be thrown out
-another tech altered DNA evidence, and repeatedly failed proficiency tests (and the supervisor supposedly didn't notice), jeopardizing 1,400 cases...the SFPD is saying they were barred from handling evidence after failing the test, so why were they allowed to keep handling evidence?
-officers got caught sending racist and homophobic texts to each other

What else?

They also manipulated violent crime statistics to the extent that the total violent crime rate appeared 20% lower on any given year, by intentionally misclassifying all aggravated assaults involving domestic violence...meaning that SF's true violent crime rate over the past decade or more has often been on par/higher than places like Newark and Dallas, and almost as high as cities like Richmond California, and even New Orleans once or twice (it's extra funny because of the weird misconception many people have that SF is extra non-violent for a big US city). This was revealed back in 2009 by the police chief himself (George Gascon, who was new on the job and supposedly wanted to reform things. He's now the DA), but I only ever found two small articles about it in free local papers that not many people read; the SF Examiner and the SF Weekly.....which are both gone from the internet now ( I saved the stats from the articles though if anyone wants to see them). So it was 99% ignored by the media, and the two articles that did exist are no longer available. It wouldn't surprise me if there was massive pressure from the police commission or city government, or something, to try and keep it under wraps. It's not like similar cover ups haven't happened before in this city (the biggest ones i can think of are suppressing news coverage of the huge VJ-day WWII riot, and massively downplaying the death toll from the 1906 earthquake so investors wouldn't be scared away). What else could explain a big story like that getting almost zero media attention, even after the chief himself brought it up? I thought the media usually tripped over themselves to report on click-bait money-making poo poo like that? The SFPD seems to still be loving with the stats too, because the aggravated assault rate never spiked upwards after this was admitted, and actually dropped instead (which is one hell of a convenient coincidence for the SFPD, if it wasn't the result of continued stats-screwing). No one I've ever met knows about this, and now that the articles are gone, it makes me feel like a crazy person.

:tinfoil:

I guess the alternative explanation is that George Gascon was high as gently caress when he revealed the crime-stats screwing, and was actually wrong about it all, so it became a non-story.

Hell, several years ago the fraud unit was so overworked that they were expediting cases involving elderly victims, so that they wouldn't die before there was an investigation (the backlog of cases was so big that it would take months/years of work to investigate them all). Thankfully they eventually got more manpower but goddamn. The SFPD recently had one of the lowest homicide clearance rates for a big US city too. In 2007 and 2008 it was about on par with Detroit, at 25%-30%. The national average at the time was around 50%. The SFPD's clearance rate is now up to 60%-70% though, which is quite an improvement.

http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/once-a-joke-sfpd-is-actually-solving-murders-these-days/Content?oid=2174812

There obviously needs to be some reform when it comes to policing and the justice system as a whole. And on that note, the DA is opening an investigation into law enforcement misconduct in SF:

http://abc7news.com/news/sf-da-to-investigate-law-enforcement-misconduct-allegations/590304/

Jesus. Christ.

I mean, goddamn

goddamn

e. also, quoted in order to make these links easier to find in the future

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 2, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually if the speeding guy is a cop it does.

That's what the bear sticker is for, so you don't even have to bother pulling them over.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Dead Reckoning posted:

So officers would be allowed to keep and bear arms as private citizens, but not while on duty? Do you think that officers having less capacity for force than the people they are supposed to police might be a problem? If faced with a school shooter or armed robber, would officers need to wait for the firearms unit, even though rapid action can often save lives?

If you're asking whether it would be better for society as a whole if police had to find solutions to problems other than the standard draw gun and scream orders then the answer is yes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

If you're asking whether it would be better for society as a whole if police had to find solutions to problems other than the standard draw gun and scream orders then the answer is yes.

"I don't want to answer the question you asked, so I'm going to answer the question I wish you had asked instead."

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Do you see no difference between a person with the legal authority to start confrontations and then kill the person if they fight back and a regular citizen who is defending themselves from an unprovoked attacker?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

These are so easy to answer I figured they were rhetorical, but if you really want them:
Yes. No. Yes.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I find this rather funny, don't gun rights advocates want to own guns to protect themselves from government tyranny? Yet here is one concerned that the government might not be on equal footing as them.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Spun Dog posted:

Thanks for this post. It's horrifying and depressing, but the effort is appreciated.

Seconded. I was worried the post might get overlooked due to length but the effort really is appreciated.

I can't figure out the angle with the Hugues de la Plaza story though. Why the hell are they so insistent? I can't get over the fact that not only did French investigators get involved it actually got to the point where they managed to get a court ruling that the evidence must be sent to France. How does that even happen? How do you gently caress up so badly that "Did the investigators just put in a request or were they on the verge of France v San Francisco Police Department? Did they just pack it up and send it or did French agents come and take it away from them?" become serious questions?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blunt for century posted:

Jesus. Christ.

I mean, goddamn

goddamn

e. also, quoted in order to make these links easier to find in the future

Also, you shouldn't think that is unique to SFPD.
SF just has a stronger Public Defender's office, IA, and the political will to do it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who is going to pay for it? Regular force-on-force classes aren't cheap, and are going to difficult to justify in the context of limited budgets when most police will never fire their guns outside the range.
Maybe they can cancel their paramilitary thug classes, their war on drug steal-poo poo classes, and their "how to talk the press after you murder a kid" classes in the interest of the public they serve?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Rah! posted:

Inmates at a San Francisco jail were forced into "gladiator-style fights" by sheriff's deputies who bet on the outcomes, according to a public defender.
Im an OG cynic in these threads, and Im a little surprised at them being that ham-handed after Corcoran went public (in CA) not that long ago.

That said, apparently warnings from history dont work so the obvious solution is to gut the entire prison staff en masse and hang them beside the road on the off ramps.

edit: Corcoran:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Prison,_Corcoran#History
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/staged-fights-betting-guards-gunfire-and-death-for-the-gladiators-1310849.html

quote:

Violent inmates at California's top maximum-security jail were paired off in staged fights as watching prison guards bet on the outcomes, the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday.

In some cases, prisoners who refused to stop fighting were shot dead. In a ritual that became known as "gladiator days", known enemies at Corcoran State Prison were released from their cells and paired off like fighting cocks in empty prison yards.

The fights became such events that officers of other units were called as spectators.

... Guards and inmates described macabre scenes in which prison officers gathered in control booths overlooking cramped exercise yards in advance of fights, which were sometimes delayed so that female guards and even prison secretaries could be present.

Oh wait! They did learn their lesson!

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jun/10/news/mn-39555

quote:

Eight Corcoran prison guards accused of setting up inmate gladiator fights were acquitted Friday of federal civil rights abuses, a resounding verdict that all but ends one of the most troubled chapters in California prison history.

After nine weeks of testimony, jurors deliberated just six hours before clearing the officers of charges that they encouraged rival prisoners to square off and fight--fights that sometimes ended with guards firing deadly shots.

Lesson learned.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 2, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mavric posted:

Do you see no difference between a person with the legal authority to start confrontations and then kill the person if they fight back and a regular citizen who is defending themselves from an unprovoked attacker?
Considering the police exercise authority on behalf of the state, your question doesn't make a lot of sense.

twodot posted:

These are so easy to answer I figured they were rhetorical, but if you really want them:
Yes. No. Yes.
I'm glad you're putting so much thought into the policies you advocate.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Considering the police exercise authority on behalf of the state, your question doesn't make a lot of sense.

The hell are you talking about, what doesn't make sense? We are talking about only allowing certain members of the police to have guns. The police exercise the authority on behalf of the state, meaning the state can define the extent of that authority, i.e. no gun for normal officers who aren't trained to handle more dangerous situations. Police are allow to, in effect, start "fights". Yes no one should attack an officer and they should respect their authority, but not every aggressive action or indigent behavior warrants a gun even being drawn. Tamir Rice didn't loving start anything, but the cop exercised his authority to blow him away. Too bad we couldn't afford better training, guess we'll just have to shrug it off.

Mavric fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 2, 2015

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Dead Reckoning posted:

Using the military as a police force is one of the prime reasons the Iraqi and Afghan insurgencies gathered so much popular support - the primary purpose of an army is (theoretically) bringing about peace rather than maintaining it.

Calls to bring in the army during the London riots were slapped down pretty hard by academics, military and police officers, since no-one wanted Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve Force 2011 Edition: 2Black 2Tan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goddamn. I thought any kind of blemish, like an officer gets one complaint about a racist speeding ticket, and they're totally disqualified from getting promoted to command. This motherfucker gets DEMOTED and now he's the chief of police?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Chief of police is appointed and has often nothing to do with the organizational promoting.

Someone can be appointed chief for a dept who has never worked there before and vice versa, you don't often promote to chief at all, just topping out at LT or Captain or whatever is highest.

Chief, deputy chief and commissioners, various departmental Chiefs and what have you are political appointments. In other words, the top brass often didn't ride there through ranks.

Just like head of DoJ has never been a federal agent.

In this case, blemishes will block his promotions through regular pay grades (from Lt. to Capt), but have gently caress all to do with political appointing. (Chief)

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 2, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Murderion posted:

Using the military as a police force is one of the prime reasons the Iraqi and Afghan insurgencies gathered so much popular support - the primary purpose of an army is (theoretically) bringing about peace rather than maintaining it.

No the primary purpose of an army is to kill people. That's what makes an army good or lovely, it's ability to kill people.

Your point is still correct, that it's not the job of enforcing laws and protecting civil society, but it's stupid to say that armies exist for peace.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Chief of police is appointed and has often nothing to do with the organizational promoting.

Someone can be appointed chief for a dept who has never worked there before and vice versa, you don't often promote to chief at all, just topping out at LT or Captain or whatever is highest.

Chief, deputy chief and commissioners, various departmental Chiefs and what have you are political appointments. In other words, the top brass often didn't ride there through ranks.

Just like head of DoJ has never been a federal agent.

In this case, blemishes will block his promotions through regular pay grades (from Lt. to Capt), but have gently caress all to do with political appointing. (Chief)

Ah, I see. Even still, how do the politicians that appoint someone with that in their past not take an enormous amount of poo poo for it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

No the primary purpose of an army is to kill people. That's what makes an army good or lovely, it's ability to kill people.

Your point is still correct, that it's not the job of enforcing laws and protecting civil society, but it's stupid to say that armies exist for peace.

I think that's the point he was making. Armies exist to create the peace (by killing people), but are bad at keeping the peace (by killing people)

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Right but they don't "exist to create peace" they exist to kill other people, so that the powers that make the strategic decisions about where the army is sent can impose their will. That could be "stay out of my mountains" or "no more Kurds alive" or "gently caress you I'm taking over this island" or "no one get's to fight here and I'm enforcing my law"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Usually those strategic objectives don't include "and we'll have to keep fighting forever and never win" and if that happens then the army was not successful.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I said "theoretically" to sidestep this argument, but your point is valid. Armies do not exist for peacetime, except as an implicit threat - peace through superior firepower.

Military force starts at "threaten to kill a dude" and rapidly escalates to "kill thousands of dudes with high explosives". It's an achievement if you only kill people who you want to kill. The fact that American police tactics start at gun-waving and threats is the problem.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Mavric posted:

Cop initiates verbal contact with citizen not suspected of any crime
Citizen is not interested in chit chat (a natural reaction)
Cop initiates physical contact with citizen
Citizen recoils from physical contact (a natural reaction)
Cop initiates violent take down (non-instantaneous compliance is resisting)
Citizen is shocked by the violent behavior tries to push cop off them (a natural reaction)
Cop pull firearm to gain control of situation
Citizen tries to push away barrel of gun from being pointed at him (a natural reaction)
Cop pulls trigger and kills citizen

It's a clean shoot, "they reached for my gun" defense mode activate!

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

nm posted:

Also, you shouldn't think that is unique to SFPD.
SF just has a stronger Public Defender's office, IA, and the political will to do it.

I know it's not. It's just horrifying to see all that bullshit at once. :smith:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, I see. Even still, how do the politicians that appoint someone with that in their past not take an enormous amount of poo poo for it?

I'd be surprised if the average person in San Francisco even know who Greg Suhr is and given his political appointment status, the Mayor (or whoever) obviously approved of his past actions, so there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Mavric posted:

Whats nauseating is people (not you) think cops starting a confrontation is perfectly fine when I'm pretty sure the intent is for them to try and END confrontations by some means other than gunfire. People called the cops because there was some kind of issue or fight going on to try and stop the situation but nowadays people are starting to rightfully be frightened of calling the cops because the new method of ending a situation is to kill someone and arrest anyone who took a cellphone video of the murder. That miami incident a few years back where the cops emptied like 200 bullets into a fleeing car in the middle of a crowd (While standing around the car in a loving circle) went around yanking peoples SSIDs out of their phones, they only reason a video got out is one guy saw them doing it and swallowed his before they got to him.

Never mind that not complying with a cop or resisting for a non-violent crime isn't supposed to a death sentence by Judge Dredd wannabes.

• Locked thread