Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

(Courtesy of Guavanaut)

We're now full swing into election campaigning so look forward to month of promises that won't be kept and politicians hurling blame like monkeys throwing poo poo. With the likelihood of another coalition there is also the added fun of watching politicians try and bitch about each other but not so much that it will be embarrassing when they are holding hands at the podium after election day.

Nick Clegg will possibly lose his seat.

Labour will possibly lose Scotland.

UKIP will almost certainly lose a few more party members when it is discovered they are racist/sexist/homophobic/batshit insane.

And David Cameron might lose his kid in a pub again. Lizard people don't make the best parents.

In other news we lost a British institution, shot down by political correctness gorn maaad.

Some fans are not taking it well.

Sadly we did actually lose someone worth a drat last month. GNU Terry Pratchett.

Edit

UKMT March 2015 Thread
UKMT February 2015 Thread
UKMT January 2015 Thread

UKMT December 2014 Thread
UKMT November 2014 Thread
UKMT October 2014 Thread
UKMT September 2014 Thread (OP includes links to previous threads going back to 2012(Also topless Scots))

UK Paedogeddon Thread

Scottish Independence/General Politcal Talk Thread

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Don't forget the massbig debate on ITV tonight! Where Cameron will say something smug and papers will declare him the winner regardless of what the other candidates say. Won't stop Clegg trying desperately to relive his one single moment of glory though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I propose a ban on:

(1) Chicagoans
(2) Americans talking about food
(3) Private property

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Wy4Vh-4bM

Miliband actually comes across as mildly human in this one. Vote for the (most) human this May!

Edit: We have the same taste in curries :ohdear:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 2, 2015

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Don't forget the massbig debate on ITV tonight! Where Cameron will say something smug and papers will declare him the winner regardless of what the other candidates say. Won't stop Clegg trying desperately to relive his one single moment of glory though.

With seven of them up there I'm assuming it's just going to be an almighty rabble of people shouting over each other and no one saying anything worth anything. Then David Cameron will look smug and say that that's why he doesn't want to lower himself to taking part in such an undignified spectacle (ignoring the fact that Prime Ministers questions is like a school playground).

I feel so sorry for the moderator.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

When the official name for something is 'free-for-all' you know its going to be a cluster gently caress

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

notaspy posted:

When the official name for something is 'free-for-all' you know its going to be a cluster gently caress

A bun fight

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

A bun fight
Where does that fall on the fracas-rumpus-kerfuffle scale?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

Where does that fall on the fracas-rumpus-kerfuffle scale?

More of an excitable farrago with an element of horseplay than anything else I'd say.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-10148897.html

The independent looked into the business leaders who signed that letter. 18 of them have received an MBE/OBE/CBE from the current government and a third are Tory donors

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

conservative_government.jpg

hookerbot 5000 posted:

With seven of them up there I'm assuming it's just going to be an almighty rabble of people shouting over each other and no one saying anything worth anything. Then David Cameron will look smug and say that that's why he doesn't want to lower himself to taking part in such an undignified spectacle (ignoring the fact that Prime Ministers questions is like a school playground).

I feel so sorry for the moderator.

And in completely unrelated news, you're the official thread moderator now! Look at that shiny name

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I thumbed through The Sun on Sunday at work and it seems they are doing a lot of the Tories' dirty work.

There was a spread on the economy. From what I read, I understand that the economy is a big monolithic entity that is somehow the country but is also a sort of car that David Cameron and George Osborne skillfully steered away from the brink after Gordon Brown and that eyebrow bloke tried their damndest to drive it off a cliff like Thelma and Louise in a bid to make us just like Greece. The economy also has keys, presumably on the same key ring as old ten downingstreets and they must not be given back to Labour or all the tough decisions that were taken and the hard work we've put in and the sacrifice we've made will have been for nothing. There were maths graphs but they showed stuff about the economy? In the blue ones the bad things were going down and the good things were going up and the red ones showed the bad things going up (but like, in the future if Labour get in) and the good things going down. I wasn't too sure about the numbers but the blue graphs had big words splashed about them like STEADY GROWTH and the red ones had things like DANGER, and if you think about it red is actually the colour of danger? So i'm inclined to believe the data.

The paper was chock-full of photos of David Cameron looking like a Prime Minister with the proper hair and face and everything and a lot of them were juxtaposed with pictures of Ed Milliband mid-blink with his mouth agape and his arms everywhere. From what I gathered, Ed Milliband lives his life in a permanent state of orgasm so probably wouldn't be great as prime minister of Britain. It wasn't all just election fever though, there was some well insightful social commentary. I read a piece about people who were too fat to get jobs. There was one bloke who was JOBLESS and had been claiming HANDOUTS for YEARS and admitted to FEASTING on hotdogs and cheeseburgers DAILY.

Really though, I do wonder how much of an impact this kind of tripe will make on an election in this day and age :ohdear:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

baka kaba posted:

conservative_government.jpg

A sledgehammer, seems fitting.

quote:

And in completely unrelated news, you're the official thread moderator now! Look at that shiny name

Nah, if the thread starts getting lairy I'll blame Loving Africa Chops for not getting the thread whipped into shape last month.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

the worst stewie posted:

I thumbed through The Sun on Sunday at work and it seems they are doing a lot of the Tories' dirty work.

Please continue with this astute political analysis in the runup to the election.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Do they have "themes" for each debate or is it just a free for all?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Biggus Dickus posted:

Please continue with this astute political analysis in the runup to the election.

It'd been years since I'd read a tabloid, I wasn't sure what was going on in them now that we're living in the future. Since you've requested, I'll try to post a digest of the tabloids every week from now until after the election ;-*

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

the worst stewie posted:

There was a spread on the economy. From what I read, I understand that the economy is a big monolithic entity that is somehow the country but is also a sort of car that David Cameron and George Osborne skillfully steered away from the brink after Gordon Brown and that eyebrow bloke tried their damndest to drive it off a cliff like Thelma and Louise in a bid to make us just like Greece. The economy also has keys, presumably on the same key ring as old ten downingstreets and they must not be given back to Labour or all the tough decisions that were taken and the hard work we've put in and the sacrifice we've made will have been for nothing. There were maths graphs but they showed stuff about the economy? In the blue ones the bad things were going down and the good things were going up and the red ones showed the bad things going up (but like, in the future if Labour get in) and the good things going down. I wasn't too sure about the numbers but the blue graphs had big words splashed about them like STEADY GROWTH and the red ones had things like DANGER, and if you think about it red is actually the colour of danger? So i'm inclined to believe the data.

The paper was chock-full of photos of David Cameron looking like a Prime Minister with the proper hair and face and everything and a lot of them were juxtaposed with pictures of Ed Milliband mid-blink with his mouth agape and his arms everywhere. From what I gathered, Ed Milliband lives his life in a permanent state of orgasm so probably wouldn't be great as prime minister of Britain. It wasn't all just election fever though, there was some well insightful social commentary. I read a piece about people who were too fat to get jobs. There was one bloke who was JOBLESS and had been claiming HANDOUTS for YEARS and admitted to FEASTING on hotdogs and cheeseburgers DAILY.
So are you Barry Shitpeas or Philomena Cunk?

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Kegluneq posted:

Miliband actually comes across as mildly human in this one. Vote for the (most) human this May!

He does come across really well here. When he's dealing with more political interviews he adopts this extremely earnest posture which is weird and obviously an act. If he could find a way of acting normally in those contexts it would be much harder for the Tories to paint him as an out of touch geek.

Jose posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-10148897.html

The independent looked into the business leaders who signed that letter. 18 of them have received an MBE/OBE/CBE from the current government and a third are Tory donors

The Guardian has been running a similar story, but I honestly can't see what's so damning about this. People who make a statement supportive of the Tories are largely Tory supporters!! Shocking! It's a weird line of attack.

It's also weird to say that the letter is somehow less credible because the Tories organised it. Why does that make it less credible? If Labour could not do the same then it tells us that big business generally favours the Tories over Labour. So if we should care about the views of big business, then this letter suggests we should support the Tories over Labour.

Of course the reasonable response to this letter is to say that it's hardly surprising that people who stand to benefit from lower corporation taxes and other pro-business policies support a party that has lowered corporation taxes. And there's no reason to think that these 100 business leaders are uniquely insightful about what is best for the country. So we shouldn't really care too much about the views of these big business people. That response makes sense. The whole thing about them being Tory supporters isn't a big deal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the worst stewie posted:

It'd been years since I'd read a tabloid, I wasn't sure what was going on in them now that we're living in the future. Since you've requested, I'll try to post a digest of the tabloids every week from now until after the election ;-*
This will be terrible and you should do it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Whitefish posted:

The Guardian has been running a similar story, but I honestly can't see what's so damning about this. People who make a statement supportive of the Tories are largely Tory supporters!! Shocking! It's a weird line of attack.

I was more interested in the breakdowns really since it was obvious that they'd be tory supporters

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

the worst stewie posted:

Oh sure, they're hardly subtle about it.

They even posted their Sunifesto at the start of the year that might as well have been written by CCHQ.

Sunifesto posted:

Stand up for pupils’ rights over those of teaching unions.
:bang:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pissflaps posted:

Was being talked about here a few days ago: Labour will scrap tribunal fees if elected.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-04-01/labour-will-scrap-fees-for-employment-tribunals/

Good to hear. See, Ed, you can make a good decision when you try!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That and the reduction in zero hours contracts are things I'm liking the sound of.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

hookerbot 5000 posted:

A sledgehammer, seems fitting.

Thats a lump hammer, not a sledge.

What this country needs more of is Enochs.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

I was more interested in the breakdowns really since it was obvious that they'd be tory supporters

The letter was meant to be seem impartial, that the business world is saying that the Tories are best for country. That these are all Tory supporters supporting the Tories make it a farce.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

notaspy posted:

The letter was meant to be seem impartial, that the business world is saying that the Tories are best for country. That these are all Tory supporters supporting the Tories make it a farce.

Both the gong-winners and the Tory donors are minorities of the full 103 signatories. Two-thirds of them are not Tory donors, and four-fifths did not receive honours from the present government, so saying that they're all Tory confederates is just false.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 2, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Whitefish posted:

It's also weird to say that the letter is somehow less credible because the Tories organised it. Why does that make it less credible? If Labour could not do the same then it tells us that big business generally favours the Tories over Labour. So if we should care about the views of big business, then this letter suggests we should support the Tories over Labour.

Of course the reasonable response to this letter is to say that it's hardly surprising that people who stand to benefit from lower corporation taxes and other pro-business policies support a party that has lowered corporation taxes. And there's no reason to think that these 100 business leaders are uniquely insightful about what is best for the country. So we shouldn't really care too much about the views of these big business people. That response makes sense. The whole thing about them being Tory supporters isn't a big deal.

Because it's not been presented as 'Tory donors support Tories', it's presented as 'important experts on business warn that Labour will damage the recovery and make everything worse for everyone'. And it's definitely not being presented as the astroturfing that it really is

Businesspeople are elevated in our society to the role of experts, neutral ones even, which is exactly why this kind of thing works and gets uncritical media coverage. It would be nice if everyone was already aware of that, but that's not the world we live in, so articles like the Independent one are breaking down exactly why these people have vested interests and why their 'social good' justifications are ridiculous. The fact they're Tories just makes it clear how much of an organised political stunt the whole thing is

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

General China posted:

What this country needs more of is Enochs.
Racist pedophiles? We have plenty already.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The very same day as the 100 business leaders letter there was a survey of economists released of whom two thirds said they thought austerity had damaged the economy but the business leaders was much bigger news despite business leaders having a more obvious bias against labour (labour want to slightly increase corporation tax, in fact this is the only policy mentioned in the letter). Making sure people are aware of this bias is a perfectly valid response.

E: in fact the labour response to the letter was surprisingly politically astute - they released their own letter signed by 100 people from a much broader cross section of society and then put the letter online and encouraged people to sign it

Phoon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 2, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

General China posted:

Thats a lump hammer, not a sledge.
It's actually mallet, fella. You can tell by the way his limp wrist hasn't snapped off.

It's almost as if you've never held a lump hammer before!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I sorta know one of the guys on the list, James Wates, and would have put him squarely in the nu-labour camp. He is poo poo hot on being a good employer and having a company that puts back into the local community but turns out he just likes money

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lol two of the telegraph letter signatories have been shopped for failing to pay the minimum wage

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/583593379801522176

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kegluneq posted:

Talking about Manic Miner is the most enthusiastic I've ever heard Miliband.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

tdrules posted:

Oh sure, they're hardly subtle about it.

They even posted their Sunifesto at the start of the year that might as well have been written by CCHQ.
:bang:

I like how they mix in 'more ethnic minority MPs' with 'Foreigners must not elevate the traditions of their homeland over ours.' to make it seem like they're not racists. Very clever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kegluneq posted:

Do you also like miners?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Ukip parliamentary candidate Alan Harris says hackers posted racist and homophobic messages on his Facebook page

quote:

Harris said: “I’m absolutely disgusted. My account has been hacked – again. You know what Facebook is like. I wouldn’t say anything about gay people because I have a gay son. I’ve got lots of Asian friends. I never said any of this.”

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

Do you also like miners?

Only when I'm guiding them into a dark tunnel to a techno soundtrack.

:allears:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Classic UKIP.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

Just got round to watching this and it is decent - mostly softball questions but he is affable, straightforward and open and he handles the immigration question quite well

Also some funny bits, the octonauts bit at the end is great

E: lmbo @ ukip guy blaming hacking for comments that were posted years ago and still there until recently and are two years apart

Phoon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm excited for the 7-way shitathon tonight and hope that Farage makes a total dick of himself in the face of reasonable opposing opinions from the fine ladies of SNP/Plaid/Greens. Also according to 5 Live this morning the podia (or podiums) are all tiny so the men will look like they're standing uncomfortably close together at urinals or something.

Cameron is standing on the far right (heh) due to the drawing of lots, which means he'll speak last in the closing speeches and get to be all Prime Ministerial. Milliband is in the dead centre (heh?) so is going to be constantly looking from side to side answering questions like it's loving Wimbledon or something. Not sure on the positioning of the others. Hopefully it throws up more entertainment than the weird "not talking to you" thing with Paxo.

• Locked thread