Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I want to see lots of close up shots of Lance sulking on the bench in the playoffs so go Hornets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lockback posted:

So where is the smart money on annoying playoff posters this year? My first thought was Cavs fans, but we're not far removed from the last Cavs contending team so I feel like it won't be the same thing.

I feel like I haven't seen many bad GSW fans. And I don't think there are enough people who care about the Hawks. Will the Clippers last long enough to get some bad Clipper's posters in here?

I'm sure SourKraut will show up and I think he's either a Bulls or an anti-LeBron fan.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I really want the Suns to get good again because Suns playoff posters were loving incredible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's had much better shot selection and is shooting three pointers at about league average of .331 all of which MAKES ME MAD !!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! !! ! ! !

I :pray: pray that they lose in the first round and Daryl Morey is replaced with Isiah Thomas

Same

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Kibner posted:

The only things Tyreke does better than Jrue is drive and rebound. Holiday is a better shooter, finisher, passer, defender, and less prone to dumb decision making. They are also on very similar contracts, iirc.

I thought Tyreke was gonna be so good watching him play for the Kings as a rookie. Then he never got better.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

dokmo posted:

This guy did an adjusted plus minus for coaches, which takes into account the players he had, and D'Antoni comes out at +1.3 on offense (which is 0.8 standard deviations above the mean) and -1.1 on defense (which is 0.4 SDs below the mean), which I think matches most people's overall impression of his career.

Trivia:

There is a coach whose offense is 3.3 SDs below the mean, which should probably not happen in a sample of 118. Who is he? (the data I think goes back into the 90s).

Which coach has the best offensive rating? Never mind, it's Hornacek. The killer is this: which coaches have the 2nd best offensive rating? It's a tie. I would never have guess one, and the other I would have put substantial money on being among the worst.

Best defenses are boring: Skiles, Thibodeau, SVG, Fratello. Worst defenses also boring, Kenny Natt, Frank Hamblen, Bob Weiss, Mike Dunlap.

Scott Brooks lol. Is that thrown off by him only having coached the Durant/Westbrook Thunder?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

MourningView posted:

It turns out that fans pretty much always want their teams to win, even when they have won before. It is like the defining characteristic of being a fan. Getting mad at them for it or pretending that they have to earn the right to be disappointed when their team loses is really loving stupid. Also you are all old and the 90s were not as recent as you think.

I agree with this but I'm still gonna roll my eyes when somebody goes "there's the Spurs I know and love" after their 20 point lead gets cut to 15 less than a year after they won a title.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

attackmole posted:

I've been maintaining for a little while that Durant is aaaaalllmost as obnoxious as Harden when it comes to drawing fouls. He's practically single handedly the reason the rip through was banned. Harden and Durant probably traded tips back when they were on OKC together.

Just in case someone is thinking I'm making GBS threads on em, nah. Both players rule.

The rip through was loving terrible

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I am so excited for a rockets-spurs matchup

It's gonna be Mavs-Spurs because God hates me

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I hope the Spurs lose and are never good again.

Same

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wait, when the gently caress did the Spurs become the 2nd seed in the west?

When the Mavs locked up the 7th seed. Fate has decreed this.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Chandler Parsons isn't playing tonight and may not be ready for game 1 in the playoffs. Get ready for Richard Jefferson to start vs the Spurs.

gently caress, we found out in the Spurs-Warriors series a few years back that Richard Jefferson is a mole for the Spurs.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

Post-ups were never cool. Death to the post.

Owning a dude in a pickup game with a sick up and under owns really hard.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Spacebump posted:

It reminded me of the exact same thing.

I still can't believe that show existed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Only because Cleveland doesn't have a hockey team.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The best part is that the only retired number is a journeyman who got killed by a drunk driver when he was with the team.

Well at least they'll have Garnett in a couple of years

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

spacejung posted:

I am here to collect my redemption after being dog-piled for saying Indiana would make the playoffs over Miami. And for saying that Mirotic was the best ROY candidate outside of Parker and Wiggins. Also a lot of bad predictions but I can't remember those for some reason. On this subject who's gonna make the playoff predictor thread this year? Last year's was fun.

I hope I Ching guy shows up for playoff predictions this year

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lol

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress the Clippers are going to play Memphis again aren't they?

This but Mavs and Spurs

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm ready to get insanely salty about James Harden.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Scott Brooks loving sucks

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

When I think of Scott Brooks I think of all those great inbound plays he draws up in crunch time. Like the one where they give it to Durant 40 feet from the basket. Or the one where they give it to Westbrook 40 feet from the basket.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Intruder posted:

I want the Rockets to crush the Mavs so bad they fold and Parsons retires out of shame. Not too much to ask

I want Chandler Parsons to drop 50 and grab his nuts at Daryl Moreyas the Mavs win game 7 and James Harden admits he's ruined basketball during the post game press conference and pulls a Budd Dwyer.

E: rockets used the cap space freed up by Harden's death to give the max to Draymond Green

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yes, Chandler Parsons probably hates Morey for letting him out of his minimum-level deal and getting to sign for millions of dollars instead. It must suck getting paid all that money this year and playing for a team you got to pick. God drat nerd.

lol

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How good was John Stockton?

Extremely.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Quandary posted:

Haha have you watched Portland in the past month? They're a good team when everyone's healthy, but they're far from healthy.

Portlandtrailblazers.txt

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

anne frank fanfic posted:

i cant wait to snuff out the mavericks even though we're 0-2 all time vs the mavs in the playoffs and rockets have one series win since 1998 and everyone is hurt or dead and we rely on a FT dude to get playoff foul calls. mavs deserve to lose since they stole our 2005 series with Tim Donaghy and Mark Cuban cheating but no one remembers that one because he also cheated the Lakers/Kings series which everyone thought was cooler except real texas bball fans, home grown corn fed mashed potatoe country fried steak growing potato farming irish german beer growing potato chomping potato growing country folk

The Mavs are Cool, and Good.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Optimus Subprime posted:

I made a bunch of dumb Dragonball photoshops for the game day thread. Just reposting them here.

Owns

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

chunkles posted:

They go to schools where all the people around them are advising them to take this course of action. Wasn't Boeheim or someone a complete rear end to some player who left before finishing 4 years? I can't remember who it was now.

e: I found what I was looking for. He publicly trashed Ennis and Grant for leaving, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

He also fucks up everybody's NBA careers by teaching them that zone bullshit instead of actual defense.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lessail posted:

The Raptors are an Eastern Conference team

ftfy

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

chunkles posted:

Parsons (Knee) is out for the first round.

e: This is from this morning actually, but it was buried in a Woj article. I got distracted by the Scotty Brooks thing so I don't remember if we discussed it at all.

Marc Stein says Rondo is out indefinitely due to a back injury suffered in game 2.

Right. Back injury.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lamar Odom 2.0

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Ethan Strauss – ‏@SherwoodStrauss

Draymond: "Al Gore won the popular vote and didn't get elected president so I'm not gonna beat myself up over not winning DPOY"

https://mobile.twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/591291556604354561

Too soon :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

It's a little weird to have someone react like that to one loss of a 7 game series, unless of course its the Bartman game and you know that there is no hope of your team ever winning again until after you die.

Rangers-Cardinals game 6 in the World Series made me feel that way. But I was also in a pretty lovely place in life at the time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Metapod posted:

I thought jv's problem was Casey not playing him and not skill, I'm guessing I'm wrong?

Raptor fan opinions on players change every week so it's impossible for the rest of us to know anything about those players because hell if I'm gonna watch a drat Raptor game

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

They missed 17 straight shots at one point.

Didn't score for 9 minutes of the third.

It owned

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Jason Terry owns

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

PantsFreeZone posted:

I said exactly this and one of you Dallas fans made it out like I said Carlisle was a bad coach. Richard Jefferson and Dirk as your wing and half backline defense is what led to dunk city in Game 3.

I would not be surprised to see Dallas win Game 5 and Houston's collective butthole tighten up going into Game 6 after what happened in the Portland series last year.

Aminu has shown more offensively this series than he has all season so I don't really fault Carlisle for splitting the SF minutes between him and Jefferson.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

They should have a real life NBA Season Year Book that everyone signs.

Bruce Bowen would be the one where everyone says "Have A Good Summer"

It's spelled "HAGS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Hand Row posted:

With the day of extra rest I expect the Bulls to end the series in game 6, but out of curiosity how often if ever has a 3-0 playoff series gone to a game 7?

Last time it happened was Mavs-Blazers in 2003.

• Locked thread