Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be fair, the characters look quite different (guess people look a bit different after 20 years.) Even their voice is a little different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I assume it's because she's a talented actress really

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"I think some guy hosed a monkey" is the hardest I've laughed at a punchline in a while

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This episode was on fuckin point tonight

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
This season's gonna be great and I hope it all culminates in a big anti-bullying hearing instigated by Dan, like the end of The Thick Of It. Like, he'll leak something about Patton constantly grabbing Jonah's balls and that leads to an investigation.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

xbilkis posted:

"I think some guy hosed a monkey" is the hardest I've laughed at a punchline in a while
I knew it was coming and I still laughed. Mike had the best lines. Also Sam Richardson is consistently one of the funniest people on the show.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I still can't believe this show doesn't het much attention here, high quality comedy

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

here's an interim banana

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

"I see splashes of myself in her. I now regret that phrase."

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I love when JLD upbraids the team with that sort of attitude where she cant believe what just happened.

" The thing I just said I should do? Is that what I think I should do? Is that your question Mike?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I still can't believe this show doesn't het much attention here, high quality comedy

its not a childrens cartoon so your average goon isnt interested

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This show is so good but there are just too many great characters to try and squeeze into 30 minute episodes.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Oh God i would kill for Veep to be an hour show while not losing any writing quality. This is without a doubt the best thing on TV at the moment.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bitter Mushroom posted:

its not a childrens cartoon so your average goon isnt interested

Brooklyn 99, a poo poo comedy show, gets 500x the goon attention Veep does.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

#everylittlethingshedoesistragic

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
This show is so loving on point. This season has been fire.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Maybe it does, but most comedies I follow get poo poo for attention here. Veep and LWT are the only things that keep me coming to TVIV right now, not that I don't watch other shows but gently caress me if I'm going to look at those threads.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

B99 is awesome tho?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm just glad this show is getting critical acclaim and hopefully won't be cancelled anytime soon. Bored to Death was a great little comedy that had a way of making you feel good after every episode but it got canned after 3 seasons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

B99 is awesome tho?

It's fun, but Veep (and Silicon Valley) are some next level poo poo. I'm constantly impressed by the jokes, characters, and plot that these shows manage to cram into each episode. Not to mention satire and commentary, which aren't necessarily the focus but make up another enjoyable layer of these shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say Brooklyn 9-9 and Veep have a lot in common, though Veep is more "adult" and also funnier. I do like Brooklyn 9-9 a lot though, it's pretty far from a "poo poo" comedy. :\

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

precision posted:

I would say Brooklyn 9-9 and Veep have a lot in common, though Veep is more "adult" and also funnier. I do like Brooklyn 9-9 a lot though, it's pretty far from a "poo poo" comedy. :\
Yeah, B99 is a good ensemble comedy, I just like Veep's ensemble about a billion times more and the writing has been next-level sharp since the start of season three. The whole show is just firing on all cylinders right now, I just hope they can keep this quality up when Iannucci leaves after this season.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm just glad this show is getting critical acclaim and hopefully won't be cancelled anytime soon. Bored to Death was a great little comedy that had a way of making you feel good after every episode but it got canned after 3 seasons.

Pretty sure it's been picked up for at least 2 more seasons?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Next season's for sure, HBO probably wants to see how the show does without Iannucci too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think that was supposed to be about Bored to Death, which I now discovered is a show that's literally called that, and not a description of one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bored to Death was great and it's a miracle HBO gave it 3 seasons because nobody watched it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I think that was supposed to be about Bored to Death, which I now discovered is a show that's literally called that, and not a description of one.
BTD was cancelled in 2011.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

precision posted:

Bored to Death was great and it's a miracle HBO gave it 3 seasons because nobody watched it.

Do we know the viewer numbers on Veep? Because this thread isn't terribly active and thats how I gauge show popularity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dazerbeams posted:

Do we know the viewer numbers on Veep? Because this thread isn't terribly active and thats how I gauge show popularity.

Pretty sure a lot of people watch it, but I don't think "goons" are the demo it resonates the most with. See also: Rectify, Bates Motel.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

mobby_6kl posted:

It's fun, but Veep (and Silicon Valley) are some next level poo poo. I'm constantly impressed by the jokes, characters, and plot that these shows manage to cram into each episode. Not to mention satire and commentary, which aren't necessarily the focus but make up another enjoyable layer of these shows.

Is Silicon Valley good? My wife and I watched the first few episodes and were just bored to death, but if it gets better maybe I'll give it another shot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like Veep but it doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor. I'd rather have an episode of TTOI than a season of Veep.

Still, this and Silicon Valley are the only comedy shows I watch.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dazerbeams posted:

yeah you might want to reconsider that as a metric

unless you think nobody watches modern family or big bang theory

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cingulate posted:

I like Veep but it doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor. I'd rather have an episode of TTOI than a season of Veep.

Still, this and Silicon Valley are the only comedy shows I watch.

TTOI always seemed more true to reality, or at least what I can understand about the reality of British politics from what people tell me. Not that Veep isn't, but it describes a situation we've only gotten sort of close to in America.

I wonder if Veep will look even better if/when Hillary wins, and I have to sit through four to eight years of the media pumping out a mixture of mildly sexist, blatantly sexist, and covertly sexist poo poo about the President the same way they've done for Obama with racism.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Cingulate posted:

I'd rather have an episode of TTOI than a season of Veep.
Well yeah, but for me that's mostly because it isn't about Malcolm.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 28, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

TTOI always seemed more true to reality, or at least what I can understand about the reality of British politics from what people tell me. Not that Veep isn't, but it describes a situation we've only gotten sort of close to in America.

TTOI always seemed more true to reality to me too, but that might be because I know less of the culture surrounding British politics than that which surrounds American politics. I also feel like it could be Ianucci's own political biases seeping through (which I felt happened on TTOI too, occasionally.) Specifically with regards to both the Tickel data leak and the data leak shown in this episode. In reality noone gives a gently caress about other people's personal privacy- these would both be non-issues. Same with the stuff that occurred during the climax of season 1 on Veep. Nobody gave a drat about that stuff for one thing and for another there's no way in hell a senator would open up an investigation into his own party's vice president two years out from an election unless there was actual serious criminal wrongdoing going on. And no, Dan lying about which way votes will turn out does not count. But then I also feel this may be HBO's fault, that they are pushing for there to be scandals and high stakes and other HBO poo poo when I always felt that TTOI worked best and was most truthful when it was politicians being forced to interact with the public.

I also feel that it might be a big mistake to have not really introduced any Republican analogues at all (aside from one scene with a couple of stereotypically evil hicks,) sure they might not be favored to win but if they do your entire cast has basically lost their jobs and you are SooL.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

Well yeah, but for me that's mostly because it isn't about Malcolm.

No Malcom analogue is a bit of a downer, but I feel they managed to pepper in plenty of lines that would have gone to him so I'm content with that angle.

Cliff Racer posted:

TTOI always seemed more true to reality to me too, but that might be because I know less of the culture surrounding British politics than that which surrounds American politics. I also feel like it could be Ianucci's own political biases seeping through (which I felt happened on TTOI too, occasionally.) Specifically with regards to both the Tickel data leak and the data leak shown in this episode. In reality noone gives a gently caress about other people's personal privacy- these would both be non-issues. Same with the stuff that occurred during the climax of season 1 on Veep. Nobody gave a drat about that stuff for one thing and for another there's no way in hell a senator would open up an investigation into his own party's vice president two years out from an election unless there was actual serious criminal wrongdoing going on. And no, Dan lying about which way votes will turn out does not count. But then I also feel this may be HBO's fault, that they are pushing for there to be scandals and high stakes and other HBO poo poo when I always felt that TTOI worked best and was most truthful when it was politicians being forced to interact with the public.

I also feel that it might be a big mistake to have not really introduced any Republican analogues at all (aside from one scene with a couple of stereotypically evil hicks,) sure they might not be favored to win but if they do your entire cast has basically lost their jobs and you are SooL.

I don't know how much HBO meddled, they've always seemed content to let shows be themselves for the most part. That said, I think it does focus too much on big scandals and not enough on scandals that the team causes and not politicians loving up themselves. JLD, despite her flaws, usually seems strong and relatively put-together if not for her cadre of total idiots and sociopaths. In TTOI, the politicians are better targets, and while their team get into some Office shenanigans it tends to be that the politicians gently caress themselves over most of all.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

No Malcom analogue is a bit of a downer, but I feel they managed to pepper in plenty of lines that would have gone to him so I'm content with that angle.
No, I'm not talking about an American Malcolm analogue, I'm saying "Veep doesn't have Malcolm Tucker, so for me TTOI is more fun to watch because he's the main character". The rest of both casts and the writing is about equal for me but I recently rewatched the series for the first time and was just marveling at Peter Capaldi in every scene, even when he's just making weird faces at people.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 29, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To me it's also the mockumentary style that really works for it. VEEP feels like Shakespearean theatre compared to TTOI.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

No, I'm not talking about an American Malcolm analogue, I'm saying "Veep doesn't have Malcolm Tucker, so for me TTOI is more fun to watch because he's the main character". The rest of both casts and the writing is about equal for me but I recently rewatched the series for the first time and was just marveling at Peter Capaldi in every scene, even when he's just making weird faces at people.

Yeah, he's really drat good at giving people nasty looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
so what is TTOI

• Locked thread