Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
http://thepunditpress.com/2015/04/17/black-scientist-push-to-colonize-mars-is-racist/

quote:

Dr. Danielle N. Lee, who writes for the Scientific American blog network and calls herself “the Urban Scientist,” believes that the push to visit Mars and eventually inhabit it is “white colonialism.”

quote:

She is very critical of [Elon] Musk, saying that his language is not inclusive enough to either women and minorities. “Diversity, Inclusion, Access and Ethics should be a critical part of these conversations about space science, discovery, exploration, and yes eventual travel and emigration,” she writes. “And when we look around and see a homogenous [sic] group of individuals discussing these issues – issues that command insane budgets, we should pause.

She's actually got a pretty good point I think. After all the plight that minorities and women have experienced, it seems really short sighted and outmoded to try and settle on a new world- with a fresh start- and not try to be more inclusive of the entire spectrum of people.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
then again, theres a black stormtrooper so maybe she doesn't know poo poo after all

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
this begs the question of what planets would suit our ethnic subgroups best

also last I checked Mars is pretty cold and I hear black people aren't huge fans, c/d

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Wasn't there a Ray Bradbury story about how all the blacks went to Mars?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
lol she sounds hella worried

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
if men are from mars and women are from venus where is psyopmonkey from

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think we should blast all old rich white corporate lawyers right into the sun

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can understand the white part but not the male part. Cause don't you need to send women up there too for a long lasting colony?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

on the other hand, space travel is still in its infancy, and tons of practical issues surrounding interplanetary colonization haven't been solved, and is still hugely wasteful. So what I'm saying is it's extremely, paranoidly retarded to be screaming about inclusiveness at this point. Elon Musk will live and die and a bunch of pasty virginal male physicists can hammer away at problems without worrying about race and gender quotas for another lifetime before it's anything to start whining about.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
This poo poo is so stupid god drat the human race is just loving trash really

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Fetus Tree posted:

mars and no amount of delusional insanity will change that hth

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I shake my fists at the stars above and cry "problematic"

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Amos Moses posted:

mars and no amount of delusional insanity will change that hth

did he chop off his venus?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Fetus Tree posted:

i dont know but ill take a guided tour of Uranus please ;)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
his language is not more inclusive he isnt specifying all the minority groups :qq:

did you know he did not mention female inuits once in any of his talks about landing a rocket right side up
what has science become if it isnt always about politics

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
When you compare a human being to a slithering, tentacle mass of quasi-pseudo fleshly organism from another world whose only intent is conquering Earth and eating us all and stealing our resources, we all look inseparably alike. Let's just declare ourselves the Overlords of the Universe and unite in planetary imperialism and bury the sapient racist hatchet once and for all.

-Carl Sagan no, he didn't really say that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean sure she's right but the reason why all these things are controlled by white males is because of a much deeper cause. Pointing at the top of the problem and saying FIX THIS doesn't help because it doesn't change what caused the issue in the first place.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
That urban scientist sounds like a real dummy.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

the urban scientist may be dumb but lol space colonization is totally gonna be whites and Asians only.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dog buttz posted:

the urban scientist may be dumb but lol space colonization is totally gonna be whites and Asians only.

probably some russians too

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
And India.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why aren't there more minorities in space :qq:

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Zeno-25 posted:

Sounds like a new musical to me!

Minorities: In Space! (On Ice)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

There really should be more minorities in space.

In fact, I propose we develop an Oppressed Minority Space Delivery Vehice, or OMSDV.

Here's a preliminary sketch:

As you can see, this design maximizes the number of POCs that can be lofted into space and sent to populate suitable space areas, such as brown giants and black holes (although these terms are themselves highly problematic - it is my hope that with enhanced studying by these OMSDVs that People of Color can garner new information about these bodies create new, less problematic, more inclusive terminology for us to use).

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol if he thinks black people wont be among the first to die on mars

prison has perfectly acclimated 1 in 6 black men for life in a tiny spaceship/habitat. the solution to mass incarceration in america is to shoot them all to mars. it can be our australia

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
sjws gonna sjw

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

lol she sounds hella worried

yeah

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
"well I mean sure she has a point but"

--dumb assholes in this thread

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

She could have just gone for the low hanging group of space libertarians if she actually wanted to make a point.
Like does she not know that most governments are gonna fall over themselves to get it right this time® if we actually get to that stage.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

dog buttz posted:

The tabletop RPG Eclipse Phase is basically this. The survivors of the human race's AI-driven apocalypse are mostly space colonies settled by first world nations (ie whites) and the chinese; the third world basically got totally wiped out.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

numberoneposter posted:

i think we should blast all old rich white corporate lawyers right into the sun

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

roymorrison posted:

This poo poo is so stupid god drat the human race is just loving trash really

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I bet he is friends with the people who say we shouldn't mine asteroids or colonize the planets because it would ruin ~the space environment~

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raku posted:

"well I mean sure she has a point but"

--dumb assholes in this thread

You can have a point but also be wrong.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They should try to get at least one person to Mars first

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dark they were and golden eyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Arian_Samurai posted:

They should try to get at least one person to Mars first

Yep and you're basically proving her point. No where in any of this rhetoric does it mention any POCs or women.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I am a white male who never built a spaceship, or did anything of any real worth. Where is my golden ticket?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

Yep and you're basically proving her point. No where in any of this rhetoric does it mention any POCs or women.

They should send two people to Mars, and those people are Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte from the movie "48 Hours".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
ship all minorities off to mars to become space mutants because of inadequate radiation shielding in the poor people domes and they are kept in perpetual indebutured servitude to elon musk because they have to pay him for the oxygen they breath

• Locked thread