Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Hannah Asagiri

"Don't worry! We'll make it through!"

Hannah & The World

Hannah is best known for her role as the foremost defender of the NERV Second Branch in Nevada, possessing the highest success rate against Angel incursions in North America. Her EVA unit was featured on a special edition of LIFE, the first printed since the Second Impact. Although the newsreel footage of her battles lend credit to her abilities and determined nature, the way she herself has been portrayed is not exactly true. In all but her most recent victory against the Angels that she had experienced at the Nevada installation, Hannah has actually been killed in action every time. Video of the Hannah most recently captured outside of her Evangelion is actually that of the fourth such individual.

Nevertheless, in spite of her costly and questionable successes, Hannah appears to possess a decidedly cheerful and optimistic demeanor by nature. Although media reports portray her as fiercely strong and capable, in person Hannah is unabashedly kind, irritatingly humble, and surprisingly deferential. Already research has begun on her successor at NERV-1st, eager to build upon the landmark success of actually both winning -and- surviving battle with an Angel. With the defense systems of NERV-2nd having been significantly bolstered by scores of amazing new weapons that the Boston MAGI trio had 66.6% faith in, coupled with a new EVA coming online there shortly, and (most importantly) to satisfy conditions set down in the Dead Sea Scrolls, this "successful" Hannah has been recalled to Boston, to be closer to the Heart of Paradigm, where she might be more purely improved upon.

As the gravity of events shift toward Boston and draw the attention of the Angels there, in a battle where any cost is acceptable when survival is on the line, having an extra pilot present, an experienced pilot no less, is not such a bad thing.

Hannah Herself

Always looking towards the future, Hannah has never spent much time dwelling on the past. When asked questions about her youth, her answers have tended to vary between vague and evasive. Detailed records always reinforce her stories, but it has been noted (and then quietly subdued) that there is a lack of corroborating evidence to further lend credit to Hannah's claims. With the most honest of smiles, Hannah encourages people not to worry about the past, citing that there are more important things both today and in the future that require everyone's attention.

Hannah appears share some measure of Japanese heritage, but she has had an unabashedly American upbringing. If pressed, she would tell you that her mother was a Japanese national who died in the Second Impact, and that she was raised by her father in Wyoming. Brief interactions with staff from NERV in Tokyo-3, who have made assumptions based purely on her appearance, have resulted in more than one comical misunderstanding. Hannah can't speak a lick of Japanese.

Those who have been around her long enough have picked up on the fact that she's surprisingly clumsy when it comes to interacting with other people. Raised in a controlled, strict, and decidedly sterile environment, this wider world that she's been introduced to is exciting and new to her, and she just as she is encouraging and optimistic, so too does she trust in the notion that those around her think in a similar fashion.

When locked deep inside an entry plug, Hannah is utterly given over entirely to the cause of humanity's defense. This is where the image of her being a hero for all humanity gains its shred of truth. She is good, and she is strong, and she is fierce. She never backs down, no matter how dire the situation might be and always seems to pull through in the end. (Even if she might be killed in the process.) But, above all else, Hannah unquestioningly follows the orders issued to her by her commanding officer. In a fight for humanity's survival, gone is the cheerful girl and in her place emerges the dedicated young woman.

Physical Stress: OOO
Mental Stress: OOOO

Concept Aspect: Experimental Clone Pilot
Sample Invoke: Her presence is ignored by NERV command because she is not considered a security risk.
Sample Compel: "It is time for more... experiments."

(+3) EVA Pilot: Little Miss Perfect*

Hannah is designed to be better at the things NERV needs her to be better at. Everything else is a secondary concern, or of absolutely no concern at all. She's an impressive technical achievement, really. But at the same time, to those in the military there's something eerie about her competence and determination, and to those on the outside the way she does things can be frustrating, off-putting, and sometimes seem even outright weird.
Sample Invoke: To create an opening or opportunity for her allies to exploit.
Sample Compel: Order Hannah do something other deployed pilots won't do.
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Tactics, Vehicles, Will (9 Points)

(+2) Operant Conditioning: If I Could Actually Be Me, I Would

Cheerful, outgoing, and optimistic could all be used to sum up Hannah. She wants to be helpful and supportive of those around her, and by all accounts and actions she is genuine and means well. But at the same time, the advice she would happily counsel isn't advice she herself would follow. She's quick to be interested, engaged, and share in the lives of others but never actually shares anything about her own life in return. If pressed on the subject, she has little choice but to tell lies. Even to those she's friends with.
Sample Invoke: Make people forget she's an eerie death-machine pilot for a while.
Sample Compel: Be called to account for damage/casualties she's either directly or indirectly responsible for.
Skills: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Will (8 Points)

(+1) Manufactured Being: This Is What I Was Born To Do

Hannah knows what she is, and actually seems to be quite at peace with it. She even seems happy about her role, believing that through her actions she's making the world a better place. It doesn't make her reckless in battle, but she is selfless. Her true origin is something she might actually be ashamed of. It's something she actually feels she needs to keep hidden from those who don't already know. Even if she hadn't been ordered to do so, it's a truth she'd rather not burden anyone with.
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Stealth, Vehicles, Will (10 Points)
Sample Invoke: Forcing a companion out of the path of mortal danger, putting herself at risk instead.
Sample Compel: Hannah misses out on something interesting/fun on account of mysterious clone duties.

Omega: Anyway You Splice It, You Can't Take The Human Out Of The Clone

Skills:
+5: Notice, Will
+4: Athletics, Combat, Vehicles,
+3: Physique, Tactics
+2: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport
+1: Stealth

(3 Points left. Skills conquered, I think.)

Stunts:
Signature Aspect: *Little Miss Perfect
Field Savant: +2 to create an advantage using Combat against an opponent who's AT Field has already mitigated at least one attack.
Cold Logic: Once per session, Hanna may use Will in place of Provoke.

Mega-Stunt:
Spear of Unknown Origin (3 benefits)
Function: This gargantuan weapon was recently transferred to NERV-1st from Golgotha Base. It is supposedly a weapon of unparalleled power.
Flaw: Hannah is forbidden to use it without the consent of her Operational Commander or other higher-ranking NERV superiors.
Trumpet of the Jubile: Weapon:4, or Weapon:6 but at a cost
Covenant: Attacks with this weapon that succeed are instead considered to have succeeded with style.
(I went with this keeping in line with Gorbash's question about supplementing an EVA with character Stunts. If this is in any way problematic, I can drop it in a heartbeat.)

Six benefits total! So one point into the GM pool!

EVA Megastunt Choice:
Option 2. Hannah didn't select her EVA Unit. It was selected for her based on criteria she wasn't privy to and probably wouldn't have understood anyhow! But she has faith that it wouldn't have been chosen for her if she weren't suited for it in the first place.

Hannah Holds This Truth To Be Self-Evident:
I was originally born in Boston, but I don't really remember anything of it from then. I've mostly served in Nevada, and I was briefly in Tokyo-3 for some testing, and one other NERV base where I wasn't really sure where I was, but none of them were as diverse, exciting, and lively as Boston. Not that it didn't suffer because of the Second Impact, but compared to all the other places on the east coast, it maybe got a little lucky? Boston is like the hub for the whole continent now, I think. Doesn't matter if it's coming or going, everything imaginable passes through here.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Sweet. Thanks for having me! Let's see now..

Hannah's Quarters

Freedom indeed! Hannah had absolutely no say in where she was to be quartered after her arrival at NERV-1st. By order of Deputy Director Miller, Hannah was assigned an apartment on sub-basement 18 (B19 on the map) of the MIT Annex of the Primary NERV-1st Complex. It is situated amongst a number of other similar apartments which are typically used as overflow or temporary quarters for scientists and engineers in the MIT Annex who are working on time-sensitive projects who can't afford the added strain of an extended daily commute to and from the residential districts out beyond the Old I-95. This puts her quarters within several minutes of the EVA pens via the V9 Line, just over quarter hour from either the Schaller Testbed or the Paradigm Gate, and means she has roughly an hour and a half commute on school days. (An involved process requiring a trip via ferry to the mainland.)

The state of her apartment varies in between slight disarray and completely messy at any given time. It isn't uncommon for it to feature clothes strewn about or feature a variety of seemingly randomly placed drink cans. Clutter aside, it's a lively seeming place in terms of decoration, featuring a number of souvenirs from other places she's been and people she's met. She has a substantial collection of video games and associated paraphernalia.

Hannah's Awareness

By and large, most of what Hannah knows is only related to herself. Her status as a clone, that she is the fourth one, and that she will probably be replaced by a better version of herself somewhere down the line. Outside of this scope, her understanding and information can get a little spotty. She has been subject to experiments whose ends she aren't certain of. She also knows that many different layers of secrecy exist within NERV; that no other pilot she has served alongside has had to undergo the same sort of tests and trials she has. Either because, like her, they've been ordered not to discuss what goes on with them, or because they are not like her at all. Based on the conversations of her superiors that she's been around to hear, she suspects it's more the latter. Similarly, she's observed that even the highest-ranking NERV commanders she's encountered seem to answer to an even higher power, which she simply presumes is some aspect of the UN. Although she knows that EVA units are comprised in part of living matter, she is ignorant of the true extent to which this goes or the systems by which they operate.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 18, 2015

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Keen, gnoll. Most keen.

It figures Adams would have glasses. People who wear glasses find hating things easy. As a person who wears glasses, I should know!

Jagr looks dangerously trustworthy and wise. I blame it on his nose.

Fourth Angel more or less as I envisioned.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I'm a team player. If you'd like to give it a go, Gnoll, then I'm all for trying.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I'm really comfortable with FATE-based games, but I'm also not afraid to try new systems. I've never really looked at Battle Century G before, but I'm confident in my ability to get things sorted out if that's the way we go.

I would also just as soon keep going. I quite like making Hannah posts and look forward to what the others do. But at the same time I wouldn't want to keep drawing things out if other folks would really rather not.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

So how many of them there charactery/experiency points are we looking at starting with?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I had this done a couple days ago, I'd just been holding out on posting it because I hadn't gotten her EVA done yet. Her EVA will be up later this afternoon. That said, here's Hannah, I think:

Hanna Asagiri posted:

Tier 2 Pilot

Genre Reason: Be (more) human.
Genre Typecast: The weird girl who seems good at everything.
Genre Bane: Orders are orders.

7 - Fitness
5 - Intellect
2 - Charm
7 - Awareness
8 - Willpower
1 - Resources

Defense: 12
Plot Armor (3 Layers): 8

Skills: Athletics, Combat, Finesse

Traits: Danger Sense, Jack of All Trades

Deathblows: True Strike

Genre Powers: Signature Weapon (Lance of Unknown Origin), You Are Going Down

Evangelion Unit-06 posted:

7 - Might
6 - Guard
5 - Threshold
5 - Energy
3 - Systems
5 - Speed

Threshold (4 Layers): 5

Upgrades:
Slippery Chassis (Internal, Core)
Duelist Model (Internal, Core)
Custom Defense, Beam (External, Head)
Regenerative (External, Torso)
Overbooster (External, Legs)

Weaponry:
Lance of Unknown Origin, Zweihander (External, Arms)
Progressive Knife, Dueling Blade (External, Arms)
Pallet Rifle, Assault Rifle (External, Arms)

I think I got this figured, maybe!

bahamut fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 23, 2015

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Just to make absolutely certain, initiative aside, the pilots are waiting on bosslady Jenny for their location deployment specifics? She is the boss, after all. Also, women's intuition.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hmm.. okay, I'm tripped up by something kind of.

I originally thought that with the 14 initiative Hannah got, she'd get to where she was going pretty early. I kind of missed the bit about Jenny's N2 blast radius thingy because I was a dumb-head. When I looked this morning, I felt bad for messing with Jenny's attack plan. I rewrote a variation of the post from the perspective of Jenny's attack going off first, but looking back again, she has an initiative of 6. So, presumably, Hannah does actually get to where she's going before the bombs start doing her thing?

In which case, Zachol, do you want Jenny to shoot the spot you originally declared and I'll have Hannah stop one tile short, or do you want to move the blast and still have Hannah on the hill?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Just as a heads up, a Hannapost is coming, but it won't get to actually happen until tomorrow evening. Sorry about that!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Not that I am a paragon of quick posting, but lack of EVA activity makes me sad. :/

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannah being Hannah, if left to her own devices she's not much for celebrations at all. Best case for her is to be dragged out by her peers, otherwise her idea of celebration is pretty much just going back to her room. She has video games and music there, you see.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

ARB has more or less beaten me to the punch on the big finishing move attack thing, but I'd had concerns before unleashing it: since the Angel is in a duel with Rabah, is there some sort of might test shenanigans that need to happen to determine which of the two Pax & Noah hit, or does that only apply to ranged attacks and not melee?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

That's pretty cunning, yeah!

As things stand, will it be enough to off the Angel outright, gnoll? If not, I'll come up with something for Hannah to do that hopefully won't hurt Rabah a lot.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Please don't take any of this to heart.

On BCG combat:

Initiative: This is mostly a pbp concern in general, not actually a problem unique to BCG. Initiative in pbp seems to bog things down, and in other games (mostly DnD ones) can hamper thread activity and threaten the life of the game. People check in, see it's not their turn, and wait for the person whose turn it is, and check in later, or maybe check in later, or forget, because they've got lots going on. It's not anyone's fault, but I think that being able to check the thread and immediately post is a definite plus that aids in game sustainability.

Always Moving First: Straight up, it seems like a silly restriction. Presumably there are underlying mechanical reasons as to why you can't attack and then move, but in our brief experience I never really saw why.

On the encounter:

Range and movement: It was our first go, so there's a learning curve for all of us, but it seemed as though range was pretty meaningless here. (Maybe tinier tiles?) There was no point on the map where any of us couldn't have reached in a single turn, I don't think. The Angel probably could have reached the base without any of it's opposition able to do anything about it, if you'd so chosen.

Going forward:

Sorry about resilience! I signed on knowing that there was a very real possibility that our poor cast members would be horribly broken by the experience. I won't be offput if this doesn't happen, or does happen. Either way, I'm fine. This is the sole game I'm involved with on the forums currently, I'm enjoying it so far, and I'm having fun making Hannahposts. You've been patient and have been doing a great job, gnoll!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I'm totally okay with whatever shenanigans unfold, but after tonight's post, I'm not sure I'll be able to sneak one in before late Saturday/ early Sunday or not. I'll try, though. My main concern is my post rate. I don't want to hold up the show.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Keen. I'm spending the 10 points I've got to buy Expert Support (Mecha upgrade, General) for Unit-06.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Whoopsie. Yep, I am great at reading things from the wrong part of the book! On the upside, I get another genre point! Unfortunately, I'm maimed again. Poor head, taking another maim for the team.

Aside from my screw up there though, I'm still not clear on Regeneration, and if using it will only top up the current layer, or if it will restore the first layer with a few threshold points also.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Alrighty then! I guess I'll basically keep it on the second layer, but with the threshold higher from the regeneration then. It was also kind of a thematic question, having watched EVAs regenerate arms, but also conjure up arms out of AT-field, or affix other matter to themselves and reshape it into an arm. I didn't quite know if there was a 'right' way to be mechanically representing this.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Whoops. That was a bit of an oversight on my part. It comes from the 'technique' ability provided by the zweihander melee weapon type, which doubles the tension bonus the first time you use it in a fight. (It also gains no bonus from tension thereafter. )

Sorry about that!

bahamut fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 19, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Given that most games I join are dead in a month or two, I think it's great!

Very much this! It has been such a pleasure to experience a long-term game.

The Deleter posted:

So this fight doesn't seem very balanced. If the enemy can disengage without using an action then we have no real way of locking them down other than engaging them over and over. And my poo poo rolls don't help.

In hindsight, it might have been best to have started all in relatively close proximity and focused down single targets. This still might be the best bet, but I admit it's looking pretty dire. Ah well, time to be the pawns of a new and different shadowy paramilitary organization!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I might not be able to do anything now, but I am thrilled at the flurry of thread activity that our dire situation has wrought!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Foremost, in BCG I'm spending 10CP from Exp to buy the cloning resurrection thing all legit like.

That said, any of my system woes have largely been my fault. As, in the 11th hour, as KPrime pointed out, using a genre power to mitigate a lot of that crazy damage earlier in the fight might have been a pretty good plan. Should have thought of it, didn't, sucks to be me. It's not the system's fault, it's mine.

I share The Deleter's resentment of really swingy dice, but this might also be impacted by my own design bias. It's also not a problem unique to BCG.

The system isn't without it's own fault, mind. ARB's brilliant use of (I think it was) a Crippling keyword to avoid potential negative consequences in an earlier fight was great, but probably also an option because of a small a design oversight. If it wasn't, then it and a couple other combat-relevant game aspects are definitely more valuable when selecting compared to others.

The complication of an unfortunately scarce Zachol is probably also a balance/mechanical factor.

Gnoll, having felt all the previous challenges thus far hadn't satisfactorily created the sort of tense uncertain battle-environment so desired, has certainly created one this time. Mechanics being neither here or there, I find it easy to draw potential parallels between our current situation and similar events from Evangelion itself: a flash-forward to unexpected victory, with questions left as to how it was pulled off? Or a sound thrashing, except with an opportunity to regroup, and having learned from the observations of the first showdown, have another (ideally more successful) go at things?

I haven't even looked at the basics BCZ yet, and my time for myself recently and for the immediate future is decidedly short, else I'd like to, that I could have an opinion there. I'd yield to someone more in the know, and I'm certainly not opposed to making the effort if we wanted to move to it.

Probably because I am less adept at getting into games, I still look upon FATE with fondness and haven't suffered/enjoyed the burnout, but I definitely wouldn't want to subject anyone to an undesired system. I'd love to homebrew something suitable up; but the aforementioned time factor, even my own personal projects are taking ages to plug away at.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I feel kind of doofy for not having Hannah go after Rabah all exciting-like, but she's just trying to keep people safe. If Noah goes, Hannah has wise reasoning about not, and also concern for his well being.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Ominous. I hope things turn out okay, gnoll. Be safe, and well.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Please never forget the sweet Eva game. I still feel bad about Hannah going down the Rabah pursuit route, and I apologize to everyone.

I've never Roll20ed before and I've not applied to games because of expected Roll20 use. That said, it's not because I have anything against it, but more that I was terrified at the prospect of fumbling around with it in a spectacularly awful fashion in comparison to everyone else involved, who are obviously already Roll20 veterans.

But, similar to when we moved from FATE to BCG, I'm not adverse to making the effort if it's something you'd like to give a whirl.

However, I have pressing concerns! Do we all have to show up at one time to do the combatting in a swift fashion? How do the mechanical Roll20 actions get reconciled with here-thread description? In the case of Roll20 fighting, is there even any combat-related posting? (Mostly concerns because a) my schedule can be pretty erratic. b) I can get tripped up in deciding how to word things.)

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If it's used like the Strike! game, it's mostly just used for its mapping and rolling functions, so you can log on, move your eva and roll your dice, and log out, we don't have to be on at the same time. Then you just put your post here along with your actions and the rolls as usual.

Pressing concerns pretty much allayed! Thanks, ARB!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I don't have a character icon yet made. I haven't quite figured out how big one needs to be. Also, I would happily make map icons for everyone, if folks' like!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

In the case of Hannah, I didn't take too much from Battle Century Z besides straight-up buying Master Technician and Defensive Technician traits. Her other changes largely involved axing her one movement ability, her awful regeneration, and an ineffectual defensive trait in favor of Expert Support (because I will never live down the friendly fire thing :) ) and Absolute Barrier, a more generalized defensive trait which is also a good thing for Hannah to spend energy on.

Tallying Hannah up, she'd be at 177XP as she is. Which is either right, or erring on the side of caution. Probably.

The Design Flaws really swing from abysmal to amazing. Walking Coffin isn't all that bad compared to the awful Unarmed, though Precious Snowflake seems like an even better deal.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aww.. I'm sorry to see you go, Waffle. :/

That said, not even dying can stop me from keep me from seeing this through to the end!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Hannahpog:

Twinpog:

If anyone is so inclined, here's the *.psd file for pogs of this type. Or if you'd prefer to post an image like ARB did, I can pogify it quickly and painlessly.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 27, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Both are now an option, just in case!

Right-facing Rabah:

Left-facing Rabah:

Edit: I think they were all about 5 pixels too wide in the event the grid has a snap-to feature which would make the original-sized ones work not-well, in which case here are slightly smaller versions:

bahamut fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 27, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Pre-emptive 74x86 resize of Deleter's pog, just in case of snap-to issues.

Edit: Also, I can't control my pog thingy. If something's supposed to be selectable or right-clickable, it isn't. There's a little green circle next to it, though.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 28, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

So before I commit this unexpectedly wordy post, Cripple only lasts for one turn unless it's reapplied? Is it straight up permanent until the end of a fight? Sadly, I can't find anything about durations anywhere, but because it's a persistent effect on some weaponry I'm assuming that's because its meant to persist via reapplication through a weapon (or effect)? Or am I completely wrong about this? Or am I just incredibly blind and it's stated somewhere super-obvious? (Or some other option wherein I am in error.)

bahamut fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 11, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Fantastic. Thanks, ARB! I am a dunce!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I'm okay either way!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

It's looking like ARB is good, and I'm good now if you were wanting to be moving on, Gnoll. :)

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I probably won't be able to sneak in my post until Saturday, but it will definitely be a post!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I have a silly question, Gnoll! How many un-blowed up NERV bases remain? All the ones from the show have been exploded and then some! I don't want to take liberties and have them mess with any sort of master plan.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I always liked the Angel confrontation in the show that this is based off of, and so I am totally okay with continued minigameness. That said, I also do understand the gameplay dilemma, and would not be upset if you wanted to resolve it in a different fashion. Over the course of the past few days, my ability to post being slowed up by crappy life stuff also hasn't exactly helped to speed things along, for which I'm very sorry.

• Locked thread