Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I completely ignore them, I don't look at them, don't respond when they ask me questions, act like they are completely invisible.

It makes some of them angry which is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Sometimes I see homeless people with dogs and that makes me sad. I've though about keeping bags of kibble in my car to give to the homeless dogs but I am always afraid the homeless person will eat it instead of giving it the the cute dog.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I give them used Keurig packets

lol this is seriously the best idea.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Beanbox posted:

I'm not a coldhearted rear end in a top hat.

Homeless people are like wild animals, if you give them money or food they will keep coming back and forget how to forage, it's for their own good.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I would donate money to deploy more anti-homeless spikes:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I hope you trip and mangle your face on some homeless spikes.

That's not very nice. :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

wow love a country where we invent spikes and barriers to prevent people from finding places to sleep instead of building these things called homes that are already invented

The spikes are cheaper.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dirt McGuirk posted:

they also provide jobs for the working people

I'm going to start an anti-homeless spike small business.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

genesplicer posted:

Yes I do. I keep a small supply of dollars in my car for this purpose. I figure that anybody willing to ask for a dollar likely needs it more than I do. I also carry bags with assorted supplies (toothbrush/paste, clean socks, band-aids, wipes, etc.). During the winter I carry blankets. Anyone who asks for money, I offer a bag/blanket as well. Most accept it gratefully.

One really cold night, I saw a homeless guy I recognized in the grocery store. He was in the liquor section, looking at the small cheap bottles of booze and counting coins. My wife and I went up to him and asked which bottle he was interested in. He indicated a small bottle of cheap vodka. My wife gave him ten bucks. She then said "Please, just get something hot to eat with the rest. I think you need a warm meal."

We finished up our shopping and saw him in line with a bigger bottle and a hot chicken meal. Made us feel good to know he would sleep a bit more comfortably that night.

If you feed then they won't go away, stop it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

genesplicer posted:

If they don't eat. They die. I'm not a heartless dick.

I don't know if they live or die, that's none of my business as long as I don't have to deal with them. I really think there is fundamentally a branding problem here, people like homes so labeling them as homeless makes them seem sympathetic. Vagrants didn't really stick, maybe we should just call them ferals.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

diabeetz posted:

a guy asked me for a bus ticket and I was all euuuugh, but he offered me money for it so I said okay.

I accepted the $5.

I was on my way to the train station to leave the city anyway.

See I do support this, sometimes there are homeless people asking for train tickets when I am getting off the train and I always give them my ticket because that means they are leaving my neighborhood.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

The city of Dallas and the Dallas Police Department are set to take another swipe at downtown, Deep Ellum and Uptown's panhandling problem.

Over the past decade or so, the city has tried banning panhandling from sunset to sunup, banning it in areas with high pedestrian and tourist traffic and banning it within 25 feet of a gas pump, financial institution or public transit stop. None of it has worked.

Monday, Dallas Police told the City Council's Quality of Life Committee about its new plan to stop the practice: Signs.

The signs, Dallas Assistant Police Chief Mike Genovesi said, will be placed in areas that see a lot of aggressive panhandling. They tell readers to "Keep the Change" and give money they would give to panhandlers to a local charity.

The city's presentation about the plan calls it a "novel approach to reducing panhandling." It isn't. Multiple businesses downtown already have signs expressing basically the same sentiment. Some cities, like Orlando and Denver, have gone so far as to put in parking meters from which all proceeds go to homeless-supporting charities. The sign just accurately reflects what even homeless advocates will tell you about how to best deal with panhandlers.

Council member Adam Medrano, who represents much of Deep Ellum, said he wants the signs as soon as possible. Dwaine Caraway said he wants DPD to put them all over the city.

lol. I live in Uptown.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

genesplicer posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised at the amount of hate that Three Olives is putting out at homeless people (well maybe hate is too strong a word and "callous indifference" might be better.) After all, a large number of kids who are homeless are made so because they are gay and their parents can't accept this. You would think that he might have a bit of insight or understanding. Or maybe a trust fund obliterates the caring for others.

No, I am sympathetic to actual homeless people, the vermin in the street are petty criminals that would prefer to live day to day on change than actually seek help for their addictions or conform to societal norms. I know a guy that runs an assistance program for people living with HIV/AIDS that provides food, medical care, job training and transitional housing for formally homeless and he would be first to agree with me. The program is partially run by the residents who have some control and he says the residents kick more people out of the program than they do because they see first hand how some homeless people who were given a great opportunity to change their life become toxic to those around them that are really making an effort. Like one example is they have a peer support program, attendance is completely optional, if you come to the meetings you get additional housing supplies that you would otherwise have to purchase on your own out of your stipend, he says most of the people that get kicked out refuse to attend. Kicked out not for not attending but it's a really good sign that they don't want to put the effort into bettering their lives and are just looking for a handout.

Don't feed the homeless, you are just enabling them, they won't seek help until they hit rock bottom and many of them are quite content to live on the streets and beg for cash.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 13, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Actually giving money to homeless people is pretty loving selfish when you think about it, It makes you feel better about yourself for very little money or effort while it serves to further the homeless person's addictions and prevent them from seeking meaningful assistance to turn their life around.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 13, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

splifyphus posted:

once you realize all the plastic creature comforts and hilariously fragile electric toys you get in exchange for the stolen hours of your life will never make you happy, why not spend what little time you've got left on your feet under the stars, doing what you evolved to do in the first place?

I have an uneasy suspicion that this was a serious post so no, most of the people I know just don't hate their jobs and the people they work with and find the creature comforts, toys and social experiences that the job affords more than worth the trade of.

Or as I tell my dogs as I leave the house in the morning and they get all whiny, somebody has to pay for the kibble and toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Did you see any homeless people in Turtle Creek last week?

No, did some more drown?

• Locked thread