Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would you come into a thread about competitive-level Scrabble and complain that having a wide skill gap between the players makes casual play unfun? That's true for literally every game except actual roll-and-move board games or the card game War.
I think there is a pretty clear divide between games where there is a large skill divide, but a poor player understands what's happening, and where a poor player doesn't. For instance, I'm pretty terrible at chess, but there's no strategy so advanced that I wouldn't think it's legal. Then there's games like Magic where the rules are very complicated and advanced players routinely do things I think are illegal, or tell me what I'm doing is wrong. Scrabble is almost entirely about knowing what's legal better than other people (and rack management and board placement). An advanced Scrabble player is free to player gibberish against me, and I'm basically coin flipping on whether I should challenge or not.

That said obviously this thread is specifically about competitive play anyways, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hey, speaking of chess, are there any mind games that go on during your opponent's turn? Shenanigans like wandering away from the table, singing idly, staring at the little clock (is there even a little clock?), clacking your remaining tiles around on your rack, that sort of thing?

What's with the gigantic ugly blue tiles that look like the numbers on my grandmother's phone?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

twodot posted:

I think there is a pretty clear divide between games where there is a large skill divide, but a poor player understands what's happening, and where a poor player doesn't. For instance, I'm pretty terrible at chess, but there's no strategy so advanced that I wouldn't think it's legal. Then there's games like Magic where the rules are very complicated and advanced players routinely do things I think are illegal, or tell me what I'm doing is wrong. Scrabble is almost entirely about knowing what's legal better than other people (and rack management and board placement). An advanced Scrabble player is free to player gibberish against me, and I'm basically coin flipping on whether I should challenge or not.

That said obviously this thread is specifically about competitive play anyways, so whatever.

If you were playing someone like me I would give you free challenges

flakeloaf posted:

Hey, speaking of chess, are there any mind games that go on during your opponent's turn? Shenanigans like wandering away from the table, singing idly, staring at the little clock (is there even a little clock?), clacking your remaining tiles around on your rack, that sort of thing?

What's with the gigantic ugly blue tiles that look like the numbers on my grandmother's phone?

http://protiles.net/

The wooden tiles don't work because you can feel which letter is on each. Also you need a tile that is different on front and back so people can't put one on the board upside down.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 19, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would you come into a thread about competitive-level Scrabble and complain that having a wide skill gap between the players makes casual play unfun? That's true for literally every game except actual roll-and-move board games or the card game War.

It wouldn't feel like Something Awful if there weren't bloviating dumbasses accusing anyone who enjoys anything they don't of being autistic. There's quotas per thread and stuff

twodot posted:

That's funny because as someone who's also terrible at chess that is one game specifically where I have jack poo poo idea what's going on beyond the basic movement rules if I play someone better than me, and I will just get stomped as I have basically no idea what to do or what any of the strategy is. The people mad about Scrabble just seem mad that there are lots of obscure words in the Merriam Webster dictionary

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
qi is a bullshit word. its a loving chinese name, why is this poo poo legal

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bitter Mushroom posted:

This isn't a "justify words for me" thread. Please contact Merriam-Webster.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Jeza posted:

Why doesn't it surprise me that the greatest players of Scrabble are mathmeticians and ESL people. I've always found it irrationally irritating that people pervert a simple vocabulary game for kids into some hyper-competitive game where most of the words played aren't just not in common parlance but complete loving gobbledygook.

I think it's a hangover from when I had a roommate who played Scrabble semi-competitively and forced everybody in the house to play one time. Everybody was having a good time playing regular words like dick and doublebutt while he was just throwing down qqrqwr arfsaf fsjetsd bullshit words and just referring us to his Scrabble dictionary, while having no idea what the words meant. He was a physics major too.

I guess what I'm saying OP, is never play Scrabble with normal people. Keep your perversion isolated.

my house rule is that if you cant explain what the word means, it aint legal. Additionally, I played monopoly with some mega nerds once who had all kinds of extra deals that basically turned it into a 3 hour corporation game where they bought up other players debt. Not played monopoly since

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

No one cares, please stop making GBS threads up my little thread thanks

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

I think you'll find no one cares about competitive scrabble, but they do care about house rules for boardgames

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I know lots of words but I find that I'm average at best among casual scrabble players. Next time I play I am going to take your advice about leaving a good rack after a play because I literally never thought about that before.

Every played boggle? Is there competitive boggle too? A lot of similar pattern recognition going on, but way less contribution of luck, I think, because both players work from the same letters.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

I know lots of words but I find that I'm average at best among casual scrabble players. Next time I play I am going to take your advice about leaving a good rack after a play because I literally never thought about that before.

Every played boggle? Is there competitive boggle too? A lot of similar pattern recognition going on, but way less contribution of luck, I think, because both players work from the same letters.

Yeah it's really important and I never thought about it either when I played as a kid. Once in a blue moon I'd get a bingo; now I average a bit over two a game over the long term.

I'm not really into boggle, but yes I know some people that are insanely good at it. I don't know if there are tournaments or anything, but there are groups where people get together to play. I would agree that there would be less luck, though there doesn't seem to be any strategy.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Are there any other boards for scrabble? Like have you ever tried playing on like a rectangle board or one with the double/triple letter scores in different spots (and do things like this even exist?)

Also are you better or worse at words with friends than at scrabble?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

turbomoose posted:

Are there any other boards for scrabble? Like have you ever tried playing on like a rectangle board or one with the double/triple letter scores in different spots (and do things like this even exist?)

Also are you better or worse at words with friends than at scrabble?

No, and those boards do exist, words with friends uses that. And speaking of, I don't play that because of said board orientation. The orientation of the board affects strategy.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

No, and those boards do exist, words with friends uses that. And speaking of, I don't play that because of said board orientation. The orientation of the board affects strategy.

Sure it affects strategy, but why don't you like that? I'd think it'd be an interesting change of pace/chance to try and adapt your strategy. Or is the thinking more "this wouldn't help me get better at scrabble as played in competitions, so I don't care"?

Edit: speaking of strategy, is there any meta-strategy at tournaments? E.g., I will try and win this game by at least x but fewer than y points, so that my next round will be against Bob instead of Alice, because I can do better against Bob.

Backing that up a step - how much does playing against different players change the game, and your strategy? Are there more defensive vs. offensive players? Are there broad archetypes?

junidog fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 21, 2015

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

junidog posted:

Sure it affects strategy, but why don't you like that? I'd think it'd be an interesting change of pace/chance to try and adapt your strategy. Or is the thinking more "this wouldn't help me get better at scrabble as played in competitions, so I don't care"?

Edit: speaking of strategy, is there any meta-strategy at tournaments? E.g., I will try and win this game by at least x but fewer than y points, so that my next round will be against Bob instead of Alice, because I can do better against Bob.

Backing that up a step - how much does playing against different players change the game, and your strategy? Are there more defensive vs. offensive players? Are there broad archetypes?

This is the most interesting thing to me as well. I used to play competitive Magic: the Gathering (if there's any place where it's okay to let that slip it's surely in a competitive Scrabble thread) and I watched Word Wars and honestly the similarities to competitive Magic was uncanny. Especially when the guy with the dreadlocks was complaining to his friend about how his opponent drew both blanks when he drew none and if it had gone any other way he would have won - I must have heard people tell me similar things in exactly the same tone of voice hundreds of times. Do you play any other games at a similar level to Scrabble or know anyone who plays another game at a similar level, and have you ever found similarities in strange places?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

junidog posted:

I mean, the only people I play are other tournament players, and they don't really use it either because there are apps where you can play the game on the actual board. Also the lexicon is different to some degree, though I have no idea why.

You can't really plan your tournament strategy like that with out some sort of collusion, which is expressly prohibited.

There are definitely players that are more offensive than defensive. I wouldn't say I change how I play much personally vs. them. In the larger word source that I use it's harder to "shut down" a board since there are so many hooks you can make.

Karmoderm posted:

This is the most interesting thing to me as well. I used to play competitive Magic: the Gathering (if there's any place where it's okay to let that slip it's surely in a competitive Scrabble thread) and I watched Word Wars and honestly the similarities to competitive Magic was uncanny. Especially when the guy with the dreadlocks was complaining to his friend about how his opponent drew both blanks when he drew none and if it had gone any other way he would have won - I must have heard people tell me similar things in exactly the same tone of voice hundreds of times. Do you play any other games at a similar level to Scrabble or know anyone who plays another game at a similar level, and have you ever found similarities in strange places?

lol that guy in the dredlocks is named Marlon Hill. He bitches about everything.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Bitter Mushroom posted:

my house rule is that if you cant explain what the word means, it aint legal. Additionally, I played monopoly with some mega nerds once who had all kinds of extra deals that basically turned it into a 3 hour corporation game where they bought up other players debt. Not played monopoly since

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I think you'll find no one cares about competitive scrabble, but they do care about house rules for boardgames
Calm down, take a deep breath, maybe meditate a little and focus your qi

Scrabble is a fun game. I'm not great at it, but my friends and I had more fun once we picked up QI, XI, XU, JO and QAT (being stuck with those letters forever is not fun). I don't know a whole lot of the other two-letters, aside from the obvious ones people use day-to-day.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 21, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

quote:

Official Scrabble book adds lotsa ridic new words

It is the book Scrabble players turn to when disputes arise over whether particular words are allowed, whether enjoying a sociable – or not so sociable – evening with friends or taking part in the world championships.

Now a new version of Collins Official Scrabble Words has been published, adding 6,500 new words to the popular board game’s approved list – which already runs to 250,000 – including modern slang, technological terms and “onomatopoeic interjections”.

So now if your bezzy is beating you, you can utilise lotsa new words in order to stay dench (excellent, the grime artist Lethal Bizzle’s phrase of choice). If you got those three in, you would earn 18, 5 and 11 points respectively.

As well as slang (obvs, ridic, lolz, and the US rap inspired shizzle), there are new words from recent society and culture. You can now play words like devo (as in devolution/devo max), twerking (“a type of dance involving rapid hip movement”), onesie, vape (inhaling from an electronic cigarette) and podiumed, the past participle used frequently in the Olympic Games.

Technology’s deepening involvement with our lives is reflected with words like hashtag, facetime (the Apple video calling feature), tweep (one who tweets) and sexting. Hacktivist (someone who hacks computer systems for political reasons) is also a new addition, referring to groups like Anonymous. Also included are so-called onomatopoeic interjections, with augh, blech, grr, waah and yeesh lending their situational help to Scrabblers.

“Dictionaries have always included formal and informal English,” says the head of language content at Collins, Helen Newstead. “But it used to be hard to find printed evidence of the use of slang words.

“Now people use slang in social media posts, tweets, blogs, comments, text messages – you name it – so there’s a host of evidence for informal varieties of English that simply didn’t exist before.”

Slang has always been part of the game of Scrabble; so have rude and swear words. The groups of words included tend to depend on the venue and competition.

Not all words are modern additions. Foreign words like cinq, coqui (a tree-dwelling frog) and paczki (a round, filled doughnut) have also been added. Some of the most high scoring words include schvitz (meaning to sweat, worth 24 points) and checkbox (worth 28 points).

:siren: New words allowed in Scrabble :siren:

Slang words and modern society

Bezzy - best friend (18 points)
Cakeages - charges in a restaurant for serving cake brought in from outside (15 points)
Cakehole - mouth (17 points)
Dench - excellent (11 points)
Devo - short for devolution (8 points)
Geocache - search for hidden containers using GPS as a recreational activity (16 points)
Lolz - laughs at someone else’s or one’s own expense (13 points)
Lotsa - lots of (5 points)
Newb - newbie (9 points)
Obvs - obviously (9 points)
Onesie - one-piece garment combining a top with trousers (6 points)
Podiumed - past tense of to podium, to finish in the top three places in a sporting competition (14 points)
Ridic - ridiculous (8 points)
Shizzle - a form of US rap slang (18 points)
Shootie - type of shoe that covers the ankle (10 points)
Thanx - thank you (15 points)
Tuneage - music (8 points)
Twerking - type of dance involving rapid hip movement (16 points)
Vape - to inhale nicotine vapour (from an electronic cigarette) (9 points)
Wuz - non-standard spelling of was (15 points)

Technology and electronic communications

Facetime - talk with (someone) via the FaceTime application (15 points)
Hacktivist - person who hacks computer systems for political reasons (22 points)
Hashtag - a word or phrase preceded by a hashmark on Twitter, used to denote the topic of a post (14 points)
Sexting - practice of sending sexually explicit text messages (15 points)
Showrooming - practice of looking at an item in a shop, using a smartphone to compare its price elsewhere, then buying it online (20 points)
Tweep - person who uses Twitter (10 points)
Warbot - any robot or unmanned vehicle or device designed for and used in warfare (11 points)

Highest scoring and useful words

Cazh - casual (18 points)
Checkbox - small clickable box on a computer screen (28 points)
Cinq - number five (15 points)
Coqui - type of tree-dwelling frog (16 points)
Emoji - digital icon used in electronic communication (14 points)
Oxazole - type of liquid chemical compound (23 points)
Paczki - round, filled doughnut (23 points)
Quinzhee - shelter made from hollowed-out snow (29 points)
Schvitz - to sweat (24 points)

Onomatopoeic interjections

Augh - interjection expressing frustration (8 points)
Blech - interjection expressing disgust (12 points)
Eew - exclamation of disgust (6 points)
Grr - interjection expressing anger or annoyance (4 points)
Waah - interjection used to express wailing (10 points)
Yeesh - interjection used to express frustration (11 points)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/21/official-scrabble-book-adds-lotsa-ridic-new-words

lol, s33med approps :munch:

they should prob add numbers so you cn rite betta 4realz

:suicide:

edit: Though at least these new "words" are actually, you know, used by English-speakers. As opposed to "QAJAQ" or "ZA" or "TE" or whatever-the-gently caress.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 21, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaal posted:

edit: Though at least these new "words" are actually, you know, used by English-speakers. As opposed to "QAJAQ" or "ZA" or "TE" or whatever-the-gently caress.

I've definitely heard people say "a slice of za"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

actionjackson posted:

I've definitely heard people say "a slice of za"

They sound today like the people who say "hashtag" out loud will sound in ten years.

Do they ever remove words from that dictionary?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

They sound today like the people who say "hashtag" out loud will sound in ten years.

Do they ever remove words from that dictionary?

Yeah definitely. I know PH used to be good in the international word source. VIN (wine) used to be good in the American word source.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What's the deal with swearing in Scrabble then?

Any sweet games you've clinched by crushing them with a tripleword score "FUCKWIT"? Any players with a particular predisposition to rudeness?

In your position I'd be mounting psychological word warfare by using insults that obviously pertain to my opponent.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actionjackson, you talked about prison Scrabble having special balance rules. Are there any commonly-known balance problems with Scrabble? Most games played at a competitive level have identified balance issues.

Yeah that was me, I have no idea why they took out the letter or why it would make a difference since either side could use said letter. It was a universal thing though for every group that played it even semi-regularly.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Jeza posted:

What's the deal with swearing in Scrabble then?

Any sweet games you've clinched by crushing them with a tripleword score "FUCKWIT"? Any players with a particular predisposition to rudeness?

In your position I'd be mounting psychological word warfare by using insults that obviously pertain to my opponent.

Double points for swears is always a good house rule. 50 point bonus for oval office mandatory.

The Scrabble app on my phone doesn't accept any swears which is some bullshit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If a blank tile is played and is ambiguous (two or more letters would form a valid word), how do you keep track of what it actually is? Does this ever come up as a problem?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PT6A posted:

If a blank tile is played and is ambiguous (two or more letters would form a valid word), how do you keep track of what it actually is? Does this ever come up as a problem?

In tournaments it's written or circled on a slip of paper.

As to player personalities there is a wide range, from really nice people to overcompetitive assholes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kaal posted:

A lot of these slang words would never be used in high-level play and most of the rest would come up so rarely that having them added to the dictionary doesn't make a whole lot of difference. No tournament player is going to be throwing down "bezzy" or "obvs" any time soon, and something like "cakehole" or "twerking" will only get played if the right rack combines with the right hook, which is exceptionally unlikely.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Have you ever seen Countdown OP? Why don't you go on that and become an octochamp and meet the lovely Rachel Riley instead of a load of fat smelly scrabble men.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
gently caress, I wish America had Countdown. I'd try out for that show SO loving HARD.

P.S. Yeah, I'm another tournament scrabble player, but my rating is poo poo (high 1400s) and I almost never get to play anymore so whatever.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Is ISC the place to play online? The client looks sketch as all hell.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Startyde posted:

It does look sketchy, but pretty much every expert who plays at all online is on that server.

I personally interact quite a bit with people like Conrad Bassett-Bouchard, current reigning national champion, on there.

I've also known CBB since, like, 2004, after we talked about the band Soilwork on the ISC

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 15, 2015

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
How do you deal with a Z J or Q that you can't immediately score big with? Do you dump a Q to play QI for 11 points rather than keep it around hoping for a better rack? I've never noticed an advantage either way but I'm a casual player.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Keith Atherton posted:

How do you deal with a Z J or Q that you can't immediately score big with? Do you dump a Q to play QI for 11 points rather than keep it around hoping for a better rack? I've never noticed an advantage either way but I'm a casual player.

I say get rid of the Q as soon as humanly possible. It's absolutely clunky most of the time!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Ditch it ASAP. The big points are coming from bingos and you're many times less likely to get one if you've got a Q on your rack.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Startyde posted:

Yeah it's pretty hideous though. I don't use it. I play in a club each week though. I also play against a computer program called Quackle.

Keith Atherton posted:

The Q is the worst individual tile so you should get rid of it asap, unless you have a very specific situation, like there is a favorable imbalance of U's remaining in the pool. The J is somewhat good, the Z is amazing, especially in the international dictionary.

*takes a chomp*
Sep 4, 2006
Do you often see multiple words on your rack, but you decide to choose a word that's less points but more stylish against your opponent. Like "loser" or "terrible" how often does that happen?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*takes a chomp* posted:

Do you often see multiple words on your rack, but you decide to choose a word that's less points but more stylish against your opponent. Like "loser" or "terrible" how often does that happen?

No not really. If I play something that's less points than the alternatives it's for rack balance and sometimes defensive purposes.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

actionjackson posted:

Yeah it's pretty hideous though. I don't use it. I play in a club each week though. I also play against a computer program called Quackle.

The Q is the worst individual tile so you should get rid of it asap, unless you have a very specific situation, like there is a favorable imbalance of U's remaining in the pool. The J is somewhat good, the Z is amazing, especially in the international dictionary.

I always saw the V as the worst individual tile, since it's not in any 2-letter words so you can't dump it easily. On the other hand, the X is amazing since it's in AX, EX, XI, OX and XU. (These are all with the US dictionary)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

C is my worst letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hadaka Apron posted:

I always saw the V as the worst individual tile, since it's not in any 2-letter words so you can't dump it easily. On the other hand, the X is amazing since it's in AX, EX, XI, OX and XU. (These are all with the US dictionary)

C suffers from the same problem as V, but at least it's a little more common so it's easier to get rid of.

• Locked thread