Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Im ready im so gonna do this and not give up filled with apathy this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Who is your favourite NPC? Mine is that rear end in a top hat wizard in Crescent who laughs in your face when your boat sinks and you're trapped there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is naming Ghido cheating? Because I don't care, it's still Ghido.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yes, Bartz. They're weapons, they're legendary, there's even twelve of them.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

You'd need multiple twitter accounts - you can't have more than one run active at a time on a given account - but that would be hilarious to watch, like those "one input, two/three/four games completed" TASes of megaman games.

Oookay...I guess I need to read up on the whole thing cos I don't know how the twitter stuff works just yet.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oookay...I guess I need to read up on the whole thing cos I don't know how the twitter stuff works just yet.

It's real easy, you just tweet Gilgabot to get your job chosen. The actual format is on the site, but you can use a throwaway twitter account (I have one just for FJF) and it takes like five minutes.

It just won't let you start a new run while you already have one running.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

It's not too tricky. You tweet #reg to it and it basically assigns your twitter handle a FJF run. You tweet it #water, #fire, and #earth when you get those crystal jobs to see what your later-crystal job assignments are. When you finish the game, you tweet #victory at it along with a screenshot of the win.

There are other hashtags you can use to sign up for specific gametypes, but the above will get you started on a normal run.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kyrosiris posted:

Is naming Ghido cheating? Because I don't care, it's still Ghido.

Well, obviously Ghido's the best. Do you think he sat around for seven centuries munching on pizza?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, obviously Ghido's the best. Do you think he sat around for seven centuries munching on pizza?

Too bad he'll find no such delights in the afterlife.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Oh yes. My body is ready. Bring on the :black101:s

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I always do my FJF runs over netplay with a friend of mine (the SNES versions of 5 and 6 have co-op), which makes it a lot more fun but also makes speed fuckery not really an option. It also sorta sucks when you just get one Berserker since that person is effectively only controlling one character from then on, but otherwise it's great and I encourage everyone else to give it a whirl.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
:toot:

No real comment, but I am excited.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I am so ready for whatever Chaos mode may be. Maybe this year I won't need to wait for Omniscient's MP to run out again. :shepicide:

Xad fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 18, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Gotta get my emotional state ready for horrible Syldra gurgles.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Gotta get my emotional state ready for horrible Syldra gurgles.

Really if you think about it FFV is a game about killing as many dragons as possible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Xad posted:

I am so ready for whatever Chaos mode may be. Maybe this year I won't need to wait for Omniscient's MP to run out again. :shepicide:

Speaking of which, it's already updated on the help page:

quote:

Chaos (#RegChaos)

Players will be assigned jobs.

Which leads even more credence to the idea that it's true random. Hell yes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I want to do at least three runs this year. I guess I'll have to try Chaos.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how much time I'll have this summer for multiple runs, so definitely doing chaos berserkerrisk and we'll see what we get!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Speaking of which, it's already updated on the help page:

Which leads even more credence to the idea that it's true random. Hell yes.

I keep thinking this is reroll, full random, each crystal. It's all I can think of that wouldn't leave you with 4 freelancers for a crystal or 3.

E: i guess it is pretty statistically unlikely to happen since the jobs are pretty front-loaded. Could just be full random and the outside chance of samurai/dancer/dragoon/chemist is just a risk worth taking.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 18, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

guessing it probably also combines with the other game modes, so if you go random you can get multiples, no750/750 the class pool's limited, classic everyone's limited to the job they get from their crystal, etc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bob, god of chaos

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ugato posted:

I keep thinking this is reroll, full random, each crystal. It's all I can think of that wouldn't leave you with 4 freelancers for a crystal or 3.

Natural and Classic can leave you with some number of Freelancers, so I don't see why Chaos potentially doing so is a problem.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Natural and Classic can leave you with some number of Freelancers, so I don't see why Chaos potentially doing so is a problem.

True. The difference is that if its true random you can literally have no jobs for up to 3 crystals. As I edited in above - unlikely, but possible. Just seems an odd concept but I'm going to run it regardless unless it looks anything like a natural run.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
I saw the speed bump in my dreams last night. I knew it was time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Got bored at work so this happened.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
My body is ready for 1 Monk 3 Berserkers.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So if what I'm assuming is correct, chaos berserker risk could give you FOUR berserkers :getin:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Joined in for the first time last year only to get sidetracked by something or other.

Back for round two.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My body(and phone) are so ready for this! Probably gonna try the new regchaos for my first run. Usually do at least 2 runs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Xad posted:

So if what I'm assuming is correct, chaos berserker risk could give you FOUR berserkers :getin:

Fuuuuuuuuck I hope so.

Also I remade that old mix chart and included real details! :toot:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Last year's thread if you want to include a link in the OP.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gonna hop in here early, since I'll be doing this for the first time this year. Was always too lazy to bother making a Twitter account before. Never beaten FFV, but I've started it like a million times now and gotten to various points. This'll give me some incentive to finally get through it.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I asked about this a long while back in a different IRC, but is it possible to pull a FJF with Bravely Default? 'Cause I wanted to do a new run of that game, and I figured doing an FJF would be a Cool Idea. ... Except I'm not sure how to go about it. :shobon:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

I asked about this a long while back in a different IRC, but is it possible to pull a FJF with Bravely Default? 'Cause I wanted to do a new run of that game, and I figured doing an FJF would be a Cool Idea. ... Except I'm not sure how to go about it. :shobon:

i guess the only way you could do it would be to randomly choose a single job from each chapter and then go unlock it ASAP once you hit that chapter. the problem's that the game's way longer than ff5 and that you wouldn't be able to use your full team comp until you get to the last four chapters, which is so far through the game that you wouldn't be able to use your final comp for super long unless you do the optional fights/dungeon. the other thing's that BD's more about experimenting with job combos and that each job's not as self-contained as ff5. the reason 5 works so well is because you get all the jobs except mime pretty early and it's short

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I forget if I did a playthrough last year but I'll remedy that this time. Maybe a true random run via chaos will be the way to go this year.

alcharagia posted:

Hello, everyone. My name is Alcharagia, and I have an ultimatum. On this runthrough, I will not fall into the Speed Trap once.

This just means you're going to fall in to it multiple times :smuggo:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Evil Fluffy posted:

This just means you're going to fall in to it multiple times :smuggo:

You'll see! You'll all see!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What, dare I ask, is the 'speed trap'?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

YggiDee posted:

Pits you can fall in to. They are the bane of the fast forwarding sprinting player's existence.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

YggiDee posted:

Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap is an open pit in the Ronka Ruins that most players will fall in once and go "Whoops" and then get past it. Donations are often placed regarding people falling into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, and I fell in it a total of 106 times over my 9 playthroughs last year.

• Locked thread