Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Cool another crafting based sandbox survival early access title. Surely THIS one won't end up an unpolished, unfinished buggy mess that the developer ends up abandoning.

quote:

Question: Could you give a rundown of what is the normal thing to do for the first few hours of the game?

Answer: This is a great question! And to be honest… there’s a lot of potential to what you can do when you first pop in.

First things first, you get in and here’s where you have to make a decision – do you want to stay in this area, potentially inhabited by other survivors or do you want to make for the hills and begin your life on the ARK elsewhere?

If you’ve chosen option one – we advise you take a few moments and look at your surroundings, what is nearby? Who is nearby? Do you see the opportunity to attack anyone? You are equipped only with your hands. These are great tools, not only can you use them to knock out players and potentially steal their gear, but you can also use them as a way of gathering resources. Walking up to trees and punching them will allow you to collect the thatch and wood which is necessary for the first tool you plan to make. If instead you see a person, well you might just be in luck! Consider using the prone or crouch to sneak up on them making minimal noise and SMACK EM, if you have successfully managed to take them out by being sneaky, hopefully you’ll be rewarded with plenty of gear. If you die, well… I mean being sneaky isn’t for everyone and there are other options available to you!

Now back to gathering, after you’ve collect the necessary resources for making a tool. You’ll quickly progress through the early game, you’ll start to gain resources more efficiently and in larger numbers, decide on how you want to stat-up your character and where you want to spend your first engram points. Picking up the first set of engrams is very recommended as you’ll want to at least have the bare necessities before you begin specializing.

Soon you’ll find that you are able to successfully craft better tools, weapons, campfires, and clothing. This begins your journey on the ARK and is the first step of survival. Remember whilst all this is going on you need to ensure that your character is well hydrated and fed. You can do this by picking berries off of bushes, submerging into deep water and or killing Dinosaurs for their meat, as well as collecting their hide to make a waterskin.

Now you’ve done the basics, and you’ll manage this fairly quickly – it’s time to move on and look for a place where you’d like to build. You would want to get a house set up as soon as possible for protection from other survivors, the dinosaurs, and the ARK, which can be very unforgiving for those unprepared.

After you’ve setup your first base, with some storage options and a place to sleep you may want to consider how you plan to specialize. Do you want to be a survivor who wants to hunt and tame beasts, are you someone who prefers building grand villages, do you want to explore and just travel across the ARK? There are plenty of paths you can take on your life and the way you specialize will determine how effective you are in those roles.

You could use this to describe literally the opening hours of a hundred games just like this one on the early access market and that have come before. I would really love to play a sandbox game that does some fundamentally new and different things but this just screams "grab-bag of popular features" with dinosaurs being the X factor. The trailer looked visually stunning but I dunno maybe I'm just totally burnt out on minecraft-likes. Am I missing something or is this basically Rust with dinosaurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

Play my game then, it's a standard game with quests and housing and crafting, but with bitcoin.

you had me completely sold until bitcoin :(

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
gently caress every one of you

gently caress you all. every last little fucker, every loving little bitch alive with your nerd glasses and bacon flavoured suspenders, I'm going to buy this loving poo poo right loving now and it's all your fault you tiny dicked little turds.

im fuckin weak

go gently caress YOURSELVES

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

Well in any case there's Steam's awesome new refund policy, might have to take advantage of that here.

I CAN'T PLAY MY SHITSLINGING DINO ERECTION GAME RELEASED LITERALLY AN HOUR AGO TO MASSIVE UNANTICIPATED HYPE, BETTER BE A loving BITCH TITS GOON AND GET A loving REFUND FOR MY HARD EARNED DOLLARS ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

if you buy an early access game and expect it to work better than just barely you're pretty hilariously naive, more naive than me and the rest of the idiots who just purchased an early access survival sim LMAO

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 3, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

Whoa calm down, just trying to pass some time with good ol' sarcasm.

i guess i'll tone it down with goons

get the gently caress out of here you punk dont EVER talk poo poo to me

Steam is just making GBS threads itself all over the place at the moment, is it really because of this launch?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
i guess dinosaurs are the secret sauce

someone inform microsoft QUICK

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dominoeffect posted:

Whoa calm down, just trying to pass some time with good ol' sarcasm.

i guess i'll tone it down with goons

srs post holy poo poo that new refund policy on steam is the absolute tits

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
This game uses 4GB of RAM.

LOL it needs some serious, serious optimization.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The devs are on the case and hopefully will unfuck the server software soon.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Punching a bronto in the rear end to give it a sore rear end

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

That is what "Professional" streamers are.

The Requirements to go pro are:

- Be bad at all video games
- Be stupid bad at video games
- Act like a child
- Talk about topics you have no loving clue about

Can anyone vouch that this is online and we are playing here?

Yeah, that's where we're on until we get our own private server.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

Goons on mumble says they're on official server 40.

this

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

queeb posted:

Gonna start up on this server I think then. Had some fun on official 4 but its been full constant since release.

This one fills up too but slots open up fairly quickly.

Hoping some official servers pop up closer to australia at some point, sucks to play with 300 ping.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

We pulled this off once to transfer to the private server we settled on a day ago and then the dick didn't update the server and took it offline so now the characters are either wiped or locked away from us. This is the problem with the whole system. If you are fleeing to a new server because then old one went down or never updated then you are probably gonna need to make a new character because your guy died with the server.

Hopefully the system will work by uploading a copy of your character to a centralised database and then data download enabled servers can pull the data from it. It is definitely a limiting factor.

People on reddit are losing their poo poo and trying like mad to find the magic bullet that'll make their lovely Intel HD4000 run more than a single frame per second, or posting AHA I FOUND IT accusations of why the performance is so bad. Meanwhile I sit here laughing like a jackal while idiots with no idea what they're talking about screaming about how they clipped through a rock and could see under the game world and they could see A PLANE OF WATER and OH MY GOD THAT'S WHY THE PERFORMANCE SUCKS THERE'S NO OCCLUSION CULLING like they have the slightest idea what the gently caress occlusion culling is. I don't know how anyone posts on reddit when there's such a high concentration of dumb idiot babbies.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I appreciate all the optimization they are doing. This is on Cry3, right?
Using 4 GB memory mode when I have 8 GB to make my game load almost instantly is sicknasty >:)

UE4 actually. It's funny how similar both engines look when at full detail settings. The underwater color refraction looks almost identical to cryengines implementation.

It's a custom renderer which explains why there's a lot of optimisation to be done that would otherwise already be included in the basic UE4 renderers.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sillybones posted:

It's interesting that it is UE4 considering they are doing some funky screen space reflections that by default UE4 does better. They really don't seem to be leveraging the assets of UE. In other news youse' have forced me to try this game. I hope I can find some low ping server for Australian.

I play on the official US servers from Brisbane and while it's a little janky at times you can do just fine. They're going to open up some Oceanic servers soon if you wanted to play local then I'd look at the officials since you can character transfer.

Yeah if you turn down the settings low enough you see your wielded weapon reflected in any body of water you're facing, no matter how far away.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

The fact that they are rendering water under all terrain could be the cause of the lag.

A tessellated flat plane with a shader applied to it is not the source of the performance drops. Please don't repost idiot poo poo from reddit. A million games do the exact same thing.

The devs literally said it's totally and utterly unoptomised and that even beastly computers will struggle with it. Textures were 4k for christ's sake. But that doesn't stop a bunch of armchair graphics experts from clipping into a rock and suddenly knowing the entire renderer pipeline. I'm not at all apologising for how bad the game runs, but these uninformed people posting misinformation gets old really quickly. Gamers are loving experts in software development apparently.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sillybones posted:

Please report back in four hours where it drowns a few minutes after taming.

t-rexs are loving baddass, we tried to get one killed by luring it to brontos, trikes and raptors.

he hosed them all up and kept going

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

what happened to your old avatar? this one isn't doing it for me

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
i5 3550 @ 3.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 and a 7850 2GB old rear end videocard, i get 30-50fps with everyone on medium except high textures and low shadows, all the SSAO stuff turned off at 1440x900. Turned the sky quality and ground clutter all the way down. Still looks decent and runs well though it bogs down around jurassic ark when there's a tonne of people around. It needs SERIOUS optimisation but quite frankly I'd rather have an EA game with a lot of already implemented gameplay and poo poo performance than vice versa. Optimising is easier than desperately trying to implement your pie in the sky game design fantasies into your 17kb ultra-tuned engine.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think it's that crazy. People saw the trailer that said actual gameplay and they expected the game to look and run like that. As far as I can tell there's no combination of settings or hardware that will make it look like it does in the trailer, which is what is most disappointing for me personally.

It does make you wonder what hardware they had it running on.

Or more likely it was a canned sequence that wasn't recorded in realtime to eliminate any possible jerkiness.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Even with the resolution that low I'm still getting 10-20 fps with a much more updated rig than yours. I'm not gonna lose my mind at these guys, but it's really frustrating because I want to play dinosaurs.

Yeah it's really erratic and if I had to say one thing was the worst aspect of the game so far is just how pooly it runs and how rubberband-y it feels playing online. They said it's going to be a year before it hits release, so waiting a bit for performance to improve would be the better idea for people on the fence about jumping in right now. I spent over an hour trying to get my game to want to connect to any server today after it hard-locked my PC.

If you can tolerate bad performance and netcode, it's great fun. But the technical issues really interfere with playing to the point it's crippling at times.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
for those not in the know, pressing ~ and typing gamma 4 will make your need for torches suddenly vanish!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Reason posted:

Yikes, recent patches have reduced performance quite a bit.

yeah they put the wrong settings in asome ini files, they've patched it as of now

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I have 124% movespeed and 180 stamina and even post-patch I have no issues at all kiting dinos with my bow. About the only ones that give me a real hassle are raptors because of their speed, aside from that nothing can get close enough to me to hit me. Argentavis used to be scary as poo poo to me, now they're big flying loot bags.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah seriously posting all this poo poo in the thread is about the dumbest poo poo you guys could do. Take it to PGS, and put a password on mumble.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Rebuilding, with the new patch we've enacted some....shenanigans to reduce our profile for now.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The caves are loving massive, labyrinthine and sprawling. A bunch of us did some exploration and they just go on and on an on. A lot of sections are flooded and filled with Piranha which makes deep exploration extremely tricky.

The devs made reference to a "Hidden Valley" and I'm certain it's at the bottom of one of these deep caves.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I tried it through the ATI control panel and couldn't get it to apply the changes to the game.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I went on a deep cave exploration trip in a flooded sinkhole I found at the bottom of a huge cave system. I managed to find a small tunnel at the bottom of the sinkhole that lead into a snaking network of underwater tunnels punctuated by a few small pockets of air. I spent about 15 minutes exploring before I died to schools of piranha fish, but it looks like there might be some really good poo poo down there. Goddamn it is freaky swimming through the dark tunnels though.

edit: I learned two things today: One, that you have to place IEDs on structures, they can't just be placed wherever you want on the ground. So I built a fence foundation and wired up two IEDs to make a tripwire just inside our gate. The second thing I learned is that IED's don't care if you're friendly or enemy, they blow the gently caress up either way if you accidentally trip it.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 10, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
magic doublepost

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 10, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Today, we helped our neighbors clean out their cabinets :3:

I only just now saw myself in the top corner there. Such a hottie.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Finding these underwater cave entrances is a real pain in the arse with so many megalodons tailing me constantly. They really, REALLY don't want people getting to them easily.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

DrSeRRoD posted:

I'm guessing there will be wipes at some points as they implement some big leveling changes, and especially at the end before launch. I'd be up for rerolling, but server 40 was full. I want to test the viability of a character with tons of health, movement, and melee damage that just uses fists/spears to punch/stab things to death.

I can vouch for movespeed being a good investment, I have mine at 132% and I can escape from almost everything easily. Makes travelling much less dangerous since I can just sprint away from the carno/rex, and I can run down anyone on foot which is a big advantage in PvP. You need to increase stamina though otherwise you end up draining it too quickly.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Tribe of TwatHammer Khaos LiferaNICOTINE tamed another new friend today:

And then getting the bastard inside our new cave:

But then, finally:

Meet tumblr hottie:

hi qt <3

She enjoys deep diving in megalodon infested waters:

Who also happens to have superman lungs and found an underwater cave!

She also enjoys a good pearl necklace, which these are happy to provide:

And when things get heated, it's nice to have a lot of oil around:

This corner is magical and instantly fills the room with water!

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 11, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

One question I have though is how the gently caress does anyone get the 10 oil required for the fabricator when the loving nodes drop about 2 oil each and they are loving super dangerous to reach. I can guess that everyone is running their poo poo off of supply drops right now because gently caress brawling sharks. You can clear them well enough on the coast but out in the open water you are just hosed.

I solved this problem by speccing to 240 oxygen, looking up the location of the nearest underwater cave to our location (the one at ~90,72) and swimming down there with a thatch foundation and bed. Actually finding the cave entrance was a complete bitch though because the massive rock segments underwater only pop in once you're within ~50 metres of them and the cave entrances are made up of such segments. I set up a bed down there and now I'm ferrying supplies down to it to lock it off to anyone else and get a small base operational. There's oil and pearls in the cave itself, and quite a few nodes and pearls surrounding the mouth of the cave that are safely harvestable. I give no shits about megalodons because I outswim them easily with the boosted swim speed from increasing oxygen.

Even then though, it's still only ~30 oil and ~150 pearls per harvesting run, and I don't think the resource nodes respawn too often.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is Tribe of Tribe seriously the goon tribe? I keep finding your stuff but I've been destroying it. I will stop if thats the case

Now I don't feel bad for capping you in the head and stealing your underwater loot :v:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Prophecy120 posted:

I don't mind blueprints being unlimited use as long as you physically own a copy, since they can be stolen and destroyed. It adds an extra element to raiding/defending when you know how valuable the high level blueprints can be.

Off topic, but how are you guys finding a steady supply of oil? Is it *only* found in underwater caves? If that's the case, is the *only* reliable way to come and go from underwater caves a tamed and buffed up Megaladon? I'm level 60 now with all sorts of advanced tech, but I've yet to find a patch of oil or mine any from underwater rocks. It's a really frustrating bottleneck.

You need a tonne of points into oxygen to have any hope of doing any significant oil mining, even with a mega. It increases swim speed on top of max oxygen, and at 340+ you can dodge megas by swimming up or down on a steep angle. Oil and pearls are found all over the ocean bed, but tend to cluster together. Underwater caves have very high concentrations of oil rocks and pearls but they only yield 0-4 oil per rock, whereas ones outside of them can give up to 12. I don't even bother with a tamed mega at this point because mega packs get ridiculously large, I spent hours swimming around finding the exact location of some of the easier to reach caves and setup beds, cabinets and metal picks in a bunch of them. I spawn down there every few hours to harvest all the rocks inside and around the outside of the cave, then stockpile it until it's worth bringing it up to land. A tribemate with a flyer meets me at each cave and hauls it all back safely.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

ComradeBigT posted:

Realistically the chat is always going to be salty in a game where bases are so easy to level. I'm still surprised that one guy kept going at it for so long before deciding to tell people about his stock trading, opinions on taxes, and other inane poo poo before I think he gave up and left.

I also think I can safely assume it was your raiding party that found my not so secret cliff base, seeing as its pretty visible from the sea side. :saddowns:

Oh that was you!

I hope your experience with Malaysia airlines does not sour your experience of flying :v: You should probably join the goon tribe if you want your stuff left alone, anything that doesn't come up green is fair game at the moment. We're set to personal ownership so your built stuff remains yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I dunno, the explicit "do not report aimbots, etc. (because we don't care?)" is kind of obnoxious. It's not like they're targeting hacks, per se, so much as they are bugs in their programming that can be exploited to induce instability.

It's because they've acknowledged that hacks like ESP/Autoaim are impossible to stop server-side because the client must have positional information about loaded entities. They've already seen a bunch of them and there's nothing more to be learned about that one avenue of hacking.

What they actually want is hacks that are able to circumvent server-side protections designed specifically to restrict such behaviour. Plus money is involved so I'm sure they recieve 50,000 emails daily about the same ESP/autoaim hack that it becomes a real pain in the arse picking out the emails that actually have information on new hacks.