Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

kaxman posted:

I'm really torn on this effect. Staring directly at the sun does produce a similar effect, but in reality I squint and raise a hand to block it out.

There are a host of other situations where the bloom seems to be overdone as well.

Often times the stars will have god rays, there are a few graphical effects they need menu settings to tone down or turn off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's not the only graphical issue though. Water turns into golden yellow rivers of piss right around sunrise even if the sun isn't actually past the horizon yet. Trees that are supposed to be swaying in the breeze instead do the loving limbo.

Its Early Access though, I can imagine these things all getting sorted out over time and kinda being low priority right now versus major gameplay features.

Also big trees give you like barely any wood while tiny vines give you tons. :iiam:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I did raid a supply crate in the night and I have to say seeing the lighting effects against the jungle is awesome.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Also big trees give you like barely any wood while tiny vines give you tons. :iiam:

This is the one thing that I have an inappropriately hard time dealing with.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Dr. Poz posted:

This is the one thing that I have an inappropriately hard time dealing with.

That the same rocks give you flint and regular stone depending on how you harvest it deeply offends my archaeologist sensibilities.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
He-Man and Battle-Cat came out of the woods while I was camping out to warn me about a supposed Killer Chinese Clan that targets people with mounts. If you are on a mount and are not Chinese please stay safe.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Sh4 posted:

Your resolution scaling must be way off, it averages 30 FPS on a 970 and like 35 on 980's

These are my current settings. I get very little fps drop other than when loading into gooncave.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TwatHammer posted:

These are my current settings. I get very little fps drop other than when loading into gooncave.

Yeah I've got my settings pretty much the same as yours except Anti-Aliasing and General Shadows are both on Medium.

As such I get 60fps. :getin:

Bunch of people probably have SSAO and Tessellation on :cheeky:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
You need to crank the resolution scale slider otherwise you're downsampling and even maxing AA will still make it look bad

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Putty posted:

He-Man and Battle-Cat came out of the woods while I was camping out to warn me about a supposed Killer Chinese Clan that targets people with mounts. If you are on a mount and are not Chinese please stay safe.

GOTY

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

kaxman posted:

I'm really torn on this effect. Staring directly at the sun does produce a similar effect, but in reality I squint and raise a hand to block it out.

There are a host of other situations where the bloom seems to be overdone as well.

"r.bloomquality 0" in the in-game console gets rid of most of that.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I've got my settings pretty much the same as yours except Anti-Aliasing and General Shadows are both on Medium.

As such I get 60fps. :getin:

Bunch of people probably have SSAO and Tessellation on :cheeky:

This stuff definitely makes it all way better.

Just wish there wasn't screen tearing even with Nvidia adaptive vsync on :(

Wait, poo poo, wasn't there some stuff before that you had to adjust in some INI files to make it run better or has that been patched?

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
The first few days after release, I couldn't get it playable with the ingame settings no matter what, despite a system that slides in a bit under the recommended minimums. Whatever they've tuned up since then has changed it enough that I can get it playable just fiddling in the menu.

Changing that stuff, along with forcing DX10, will improve performance but it will destroy pretty much all the visuals. It's not worth it unless you really can't get it playable otherwise.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Apparently it can harvest fibers!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Throwing people must be their stand-in mechanic for climbing walls, like you might expect from King Kong.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They managed to put a human catapult siege weapon into this game using an extinct giant gorilla and it totally fits into the lore.
:perfect:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Found it like this. Think he realized he only existed in a simulation.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've been having dead stegos decide to go back to their home planet all day.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

I've been having dead stegos decide to go back to their home planet all day.

Having to chase down the dead bronto I killed is always entertaining as it's tail and neck begin to flap majestically and it takes to the skies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My old base got rekt so I spent the day hiding a bunch of tiny little respawn shacks around, with any luck even if one gets found and destroyed I'll still have a few around.

ARK is running a bug bounty program, pretty drat cool. Get $100!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594821545181831108/

Everything about this game is way more professional than anything minecraft, dayZ, h1z1 or rust ever did.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
So, does anyone know when putting your dinos on aggressive while you have an unconscious dinosaur being tamed - Will your dinos eat your unconscious dino? Or be good boys and girls and eat everything else?

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

ARK is running a bug bounty program, pretty drat cool. Get $100!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594821545181831108/

I think it's less for bugs and more for finding exploits/hacks that would break the game like the duping one did.

But still, it's a nice incentive and looks good from both a exploit fixing and PR standpoint.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Bear in the Woods posted:

I think it's less for bugs and more for finding exploits/hacks that would break the game like the duping one did.

But still, it's a nice incentive and looks good from both a exploit fixing and PR standpoint.

I dunno, the explicit "do not report aimbots, etc. (because we don't care?)" is kind of obnoxious. It's not like they're targeting hacks, per se, so much as they are bugs in their programming that can be exploited to induce instability.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I dunno, the explicit "do not report aimbots, etc. (because we don't care?)" is kind of obnoxious. It's not like they're targeting hacks, per se, so much as they are bugs in their programming that can be exploited to induce instability.

If they run through VAC, it's really not their job to hunt down hacks - and major stability issues are more important at this point anyway. And even if they don't run through VAC, the builds are probably changing too often for any serious hacks to get off the ground.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Darwinism posted:

If they run through VAC, it's really not their job to hunt down hacks - and major stability issues are more important at this point anyway. And even if they don't run through VAC, the builds are probably changing too often for any serious hacks to get off the ground.

Yeah. Apparently at least one of the devs regularly checks the cheat forums, too, to try to keep an eye on the situation, so they're not being negligent. It just seems weird to put out a bounty for "all hacks," and then not be interested in the things most people think of when they hear "hacks."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp, this is like the fourth or fifth day in a row now I've logged in to find myself either naked or dead with all my work from the last day done.

There was just a server reset but people are already running around with t-rexes and C4 happy to wreck other people's poo poo.

I really like most of this game but the fact that your character just lays there undefended if you log out for even a few hours is probably going to kill this game for me pretty quick. I have a job and even if I didn't I don't want to play the same game 24/7.

Problem is if I join the goon clan its not going to feel like I'm making as much progress, I'll just be another cog in the machine. But if I play on a private server then it'll just be me and my few friends, nobody to fight with.

They really need something in between, like PvP-light server rules, where you can log out and be safe and keep your inventory, but where otherwise things work the same as they do now.
Having to scrounge up the materials to make a torch when you've been stripped naked is just not any kind of fun. I don't mind people knocking down my bases so much but taking literally all of my hard-earned items, my blueprints, poo poo like that.... its just killing my drive to pay this game. Anything I do will just be gone the next day, except for experience.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Update regarding the aimbot question:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/523890046867909905/

Basically, they run vac already. So they are looking for things that affect official servers only. Hacked characters and such don't count because they are single player only. Or private servers with upload on and an inattentive admin.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Welp, this is like the fourth or fifth day in a row now I've logged in to find myself either naked or dead with all my work from the last day done.

There was just a server reset but people are already running around with t-rexes and C4 happy to wreck other people's poo poo.

I really like most of this game but the fact that your character just lays there undefended if you log out for even a few hours is probably going to kill this game for me pretty quick. I have a job and even if I didn't I don't want to play the same game 24/7.

Problem is if I join the goon clan its not going to feel like I'm making as much progress, I'll just be another cog in the machine. But if I play on a private server then it'll just be me and my few friends, nobody to fight with.

They really need something in between, like PvP-light server rules, where you can log out and be safe and keep your inventory, but where otherwise things work the same as they do now.
Having to scrounge up the materials to make a torch when you've been stripped naked is just not any kind of fun. I don't mind people knocking down my bases so much but taking literally all of my hard-earned items, my blueprints, poo poo like that.... its just killing my drive to pay this game. Anything I do will just be gone the next day, except for experience.

Most of those people with rexes and C4 are part of a team, while you studiously avoid joining one. Enjoy getting wrecked I guess? Also if you can't get yourself back off the ground with basic kit before even leaving the beach you are playing this game drastically different than the way I do.

If I respawn at a beach, less than 15 minutes later I'll have a few spears, a pick, an axe, a bow a dozen arrows a torch and probably a pocket full of berries.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zaphod42 posted:

Use the tribe as a safe haven, otherwise hermit it up?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Most of those people with rexes and C4 are part of a team, while you studiously avoid joining one. Enjoy getting wrecked I guess? Also if you can't get yourself back off the ground with basic kit before even leaving the beach you are playing this game drastically different than the way I do.

If I respawn at a beach, less than 15 minutes later I'll have a few spears, a pick, an axe, a bow a dozen arrows a torch and probably a pocket full of berries.

I have a tribe, thanks. That's not enough. Unless you're a giant team that has players in all time zones on 24 loving 7, you're going to get wrecked while you sleep.

:downs:

Jackard posted:

Use the tribe as a safe haven, otherwise hermit it up?

Yeah that might be the best option. Get on goon server in goon tribe but then build my own poo poo somewhere else.

Even then though I wouldn't have people defending me while I sleep unless I run over to the goon base and sleep there every time.

Its just kinda a wonky game mechanic. If nothing else while you're logged out, if your character isn't unconscious they should like, fight back. If you have a spear, they should poke whoever tries to take their inventory.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do not have to use goon resources or anything, just hide behind our walls and put your poo poo into a pin locked safe. A lot of people do that, and then help out when someone needs it :)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Patch is up, 807MB.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I seem to have destroyed my own private server by raiding my neighbors. Thirteen people managed to convince twenty other people to leave.

WELP

Guess its time to check out official servers. If I join the goon server and tame a bronto, how fast will I lose it?

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Does anyone have screenshots of the goon stronghold? I'm not even going to call it a base, because I'm sure you assholes have some major area covered and a small city built.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Ironsolid posted:

Does anyone have screenshots of the goon stronghold? I'm not even going to call it a base, because I'm sure you assholes have some major area covered and a small city built.

Nice try spy.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It's because they've acknowledged that hacks like ESP/Autoaim are impossible to stop server-side because the client must have positional information about loaded entities. They've already seen a bunch of them and there's nothing more to be learned about that one avenue of hacking.

What they actually want is hacks that are able to circumvent server-side protections designed specifically to restrict such behaviour. Plus money is involved so I'm sure they recieve 50,000 emails daily about the same ESP/autoaim hack that it becomes a real pain in the arse picking out the emails that actually have information on new hacks.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Welp, after the third time having our base trashed and our dinos whacked by some dude with a T-rex named "Aids" we're probably going to leave server 148. A two man team is just not enough. Would moving to the goon server let us participate in mutual self defence as part of the goon tribe whilst still allowing us to participate in PVP?

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof

Zaphod42 posted:

Feel free to join us on Landofthelost server, our base hasn't been raided in about a week and am currently slowly converting some rooms to metal. Its mostly been just me on this week so no worry of feeling like a cog in a larger machine.

That goes to anyone that fancies a smaller tribe experience, really could use some more hands. Building metal structures solo is a horrendous grind.

Please no super trolls though, that stuff is much more fun on a server with hordes of goons. I think part of the reason we are still standing is that we've kept a relatively low profile.

Edit: Moved steam id to pgs thread

Sprocket fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 26, 2015

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Apparition posted:

Nice try spy.

Because I registered on these forums some odd years ago, knowing this game was to be released JUST so I could spy on goons.

Nice one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Ironsolid posted:

Because I registered on these forums some odd years ago, knowing this game was to be released JUST so I could spy on goons.

Nice one!

Exactly what a spy would say, SPY.