Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Mooseykins posted:

So after 4 months of "running" my own business into the ground i'm actually worse off than when i started. Can't get enough work, i can pay all the bills and poo poo but it doesn't actually leave me anything to pay myself. I need to turn over £200-300/day and have turned £240 in the last 2 weeks. (Yet did a clutch on Saturday and got £150 for it.) Gonna fold this poo poo, go work for someone for a year to save up and move to Canada to go back to being a mech, at least until i can stay permanently and then switch back to driving.

Boo hoo Moose, another of my gently caress-ups.

Don't beat yourself up. Small business ownership is loving hard, thankless, and often very difficult to get running. Especially if you do things right, and most people don't, so they can bid cheaper. Good friends of mine had a really rough time - started a bakery, poured their heart and soul into it, and just couldn't do more than tread water. People are cheap, everyones an rear end in a top hat, and its just thankless.

Come to Canada, kick some rear end with us (legit, if you end up moving here, let me know where! If its anywhere close, I'll buy you a few rounds/take you fishing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Wally Joyner posted:

My brother and I are planning on starting our own business within a year, and you guys make it seem so appealing

Edit: Forced pot-luck got ya down? Don't worry, because these sugar-free gummy bears will chase that feeling away!

Don't let it stop you. I have several friends who jumped into the pool and are doing incredibly well. They bust their asses, but its paying off. Just make sure you are prepared - the two year mark is the "make money" one, and for a lot it seems that 10 years is the "turnaround" to go from "jesus christ is this worth it" to "man I'm glad I did this." Its a long, hard battle, but if you succeed, you are awesome, and know that you built something yourself. I'm still debating doing it myself, but I live in a mining/forestry town, so albeit right now I'd probably do well, if the industry goes tits up, I'm doomed.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Bajaha posted:

So that's my Toyota story. '13 Venza for those who want a model to go with the story.

As someone who owns a Venza of that exact vintage, I don't even get how the gently caress that could happen? The base set of floormats clips into the floor and won't move. So they literally put a second set on top of those? What the gently caress?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Old people, dude.

Old people.

My parents are in their mid-late 80's. I had an aunt who drove her own car until 92. None of these people were loving daft enough to ever, ever have a second set of floormats on top of the first.

I just...I don't get it.

Maybe I'm the old person.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, it would be between Ontario (Torono/surrounding areas), Alberta (Calgary/Grand Prarie), Saskatoon (Sask, as there's nothing else there.) and BC. (Vancouver probably.) Quebec is out since my ex lives near Montreal and i don't speak much French. And they don't seem to like English people very much there.

I loving love mountains and trees and that scenery and poo poo. That is 100% my kind of poo poo. Banff or Blackcomb would be like a goddamn dream come true. I went there twice many years ago and absolutely loved it. I've been to Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto more recently though.

I think in a few months if i've got a little bit of money saved i'll go over to Canada for 10 days or so, get a car and drive to all the places i have in mind. Scout out job prospects and stuff, help make a more informed decision before i move 3,500+ miles to live in a place sight-unseen.

I'm in Northern Ontario, in the middle of mining country. Lots of jobs here for the mechanically inclined. Lots of forest, lakes, and...large hills (we have "mountains" but they ain't the rockies). I'm about 6 hours away from Toronto or Ottawa both (take your pick). Legit offer, if you are in the area, we've got a spare bed and the wife and I cook pretty damned well. If you want to know more, just email me at my username at the email service of our googly overlords - this goes for anyone who might want to move to the middle of rust-central :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

14 INCH SLIT posted:

gently caress pizza chat

Double-gently caress you. I wish there was a 5-guys anywhere near me :( Goddamnit I'm hungry all the time lately.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

I said I wasn't going to click on it.

I clicked.

Its not even that bad, y'all are a bunch of ninnies. Or I'm desensitized by my early days on the internet.

Still can't do blood though, anything with blood and I'm done.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's one of the things _they_ don't teach you. Yeah, you can buy a house with 10% down on a 30 year mortgage, but you'll pay forever and take nothing off the principle. Not even counting PMI.

I paid for over 10 years on my first house and paid down a ridiculously small amount. Refi'd on another 30 because interest rates were crazy low and I was dumb. Good thing was that I moved shortly thereafter.

Current house I bought with a big % down and another 30, because it pushed our budget at the time. A couple years later and another refi took us to a 20 year that we're making payments + on and it's fantastic to be able to watch the principle actually fall, month after month. The only down side (!?!?) is that you pay less interest, so your taxes aren't as padded, but that's silly to think of as a down side.

tl;dr: Don't get a 30 year mortgage unless you have the ability and will to pay well over the payment, month after month. 15 or 20 year mortgages are the only solution if you don't like giving your money to a bank.

We setup a 30, but got ourselves on a payment plan for a 20, and are paying bi-weekly. We've got a ton of principal off already (plus throwing an extra thousand or two a year onto it as Anniversary payments makes a HUGE difference).
Houses are stupidly pricey though, I hate the payment :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

This is excellent news.

I had pizza for lunch, it was also delicious.

I had pizza for supper.

It was, frankly, incredible.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Could be kitchen aide. That's what most my stuff is now, seems reasonably well put together but I literally tried finding the best built entry model I could find. I'm not planning on staying in my place more then another year or two

GE is the worst. My place was all GE when I moved in and the design of everything was just garbage. I'm still half expecting my dryer to come flying off the wall one of these days because it can't handle doing my bed sheets without being unbalanced as gently caress.

I forget what brand my fridge is but after six months the compressor already started making small noises. Wouldn't expect that thing to last past the 5 year mark.

Anecdotal, but our Samsung stuff has been rockstar solid. Its a large-capacity topload washer and matched drier. We've put a lot of abuse through it in the last 3 years, and its still going strong. 3 friends have bought them off our recommendation, and same experience. It wasn't the most expensive, but it wasn't cheap. I'm just scared if the electronics ever go :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

The Jabberwocky posted:

I stopped by the local mom and pop tire store that I use for small fixes/mounting/alignments and asked about getting a new set of tires. They wanted $50 a tire more than Walmart's site to store service. I really hate giving Walmart money, and I'd sure rather give a local small business my money, but drat, man I can't afford to just give $200 away :smith:

I'll at least take them to the mom and pop place for mount/balance. Just irritates me that Walmart won one.

Walmart's almost always going to win a direct price war. They have such staggering buying power. But that $200 disappears quick if you have issues - the mom and pop are likely to help you out. Walmart will just ask for your money. Its a lot of cash, but I put my money where my mouth is and always buy local. I just straight-up refuse to buy things at Walmart unless I know its a loss-leader and Wally World is losing cash on it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

fjelltorsk posted:

You guys and gals (gal?) ready for some good news?

because i have some good news. I had some ct and MRI scans done yesterday and had a consultation with my oncologist today. All the tumours in my upper torso have encapsulated and are decreasing in size, the ones on my neck are gone and the one in my lumbar region is going in the right direction. I have like...alot less cancer then i did two months ago and my chances of survival have gone from sub 50% to between 85 and 95%. I am beating this poo poo, and this time its for real. The forecast is that i will be ending treatment in october with a last "gently caress you" chemo cycle.

I have celebrated with taking the family out to dinner, taking the boys fishing on the dock and preordering the new Sony A7R v2. (photogeeks will now what i mean)

Then my father during dinner started asking very strange questions about my dimensions. and before desert was on the table he had ordered me a Canyon Aeroad Slx 8.0 Di2. I dont know if i deserve it, but he firmly believes that the reason i am (probably) getting trough this is because i have ridden my bike all the way trough treatment, and wanted me to know that he cared. i guess my family is kinda awsome.

I know that there might be setbacks and nasty surprises, but this is the first time i have been truly optimistic about getting rid of this poo poo. I can see the finish line guys.

Sorry for the E/N, i just felt like sharing

loving awesome man. Seriously loving awesome. Huge, huge congrats on that!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Agreed, but I believe the idea is to put the process in less stable countries to help agriculture without feeding insurgency.

Sulf-N 26 is the product, if you want to read the business-speak about it.

Man, between you and Kastein, I feel like I'm wasting my life hahah.

I had so much drive coming out of high school. Went into college, was going to blaze an awesome trail. Then had poo poo job after poo poo job, and it just killed my will to do.
Ah well, only 35, still time to do something. But the wife's work is in remote areas, so its a damned if you do damned if you don't.

That's really cool stuff though Adiabatic, really damned cool.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Y'all that don't have dogs don't appreciate the finer things in life.

Chilling with me in the old house:

Lounging with the cat that annoys her to no end:

Said evil cat harassing the other, good, cat:

Critters are great (most days).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

We have our bill normalized to average year-round, and before it was normalized at over $200/month, but now it's down to $105/month. I know 105 sounds expensive to some people and cheap to others depending on location, and I know that a fancier programmable thermostat would have probably done almost as good of a job, but I really like the features.

I am so full of hate at your cheap hydro :( If we get under $200 a month here, that's a month where neither heat nor A/C had to run, we BBQ'd every night, and didn't do any laundry.

loving Ontario Hydro.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I went from a 10/10 good mood happy to catering into the ground in the space of a single sentence. I'm seeing my doctor. I'm taking my meds. I'm trying to move on but how the gently caress do I battle something that literally can take me down like a sniper before I even knew it was there?

E: it's a huuuuuuge reason I've stopped going out and hanging out and spend my time alone because I'm not saying everyone does it, but a lot of people are getting burnt out on this still affecting me. And it pissed me off if a girl says she's got trauma from living in hell every day for a year people don't bat an eye and as soon as a guy is like no seriously I'm struggling people just get tired and tell me to get over it. How the gently caress can I? I want to. I really loving want to.

I don't have any good advice, I spent years getting over some poo poo from my youth :( All I can say is you've got a bunch of awesome people here who have your back. Maybe a change of venue? Move somewhere? You've got a room and a bed up here in Canuckistan if you ever want to crash somewhere full of rocks, trees, lakes and rust.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I sure hope we can find a better way to collect nat gas.

It seems like everything we do to generate power has some sort of protest group associated with it, aside from renewables. I fully relate to the concern, but it's a slow process when your power is generated as centrally as it currently is.

From what I personally understand, there's not enough availability at current efficiency levels to make a die-hard push towards it with actual money. If we were to move solely, today, to renewables I'd imagine we'd have brown-outs constantly. No renewable aside from natural hydro (non-pumped) can be a viable baseline at current tech/efficiency levels, from what I understand. I absolutely hope this changes with technology and I know it will eventually, but when you talk about something of this magnitude it's a slow process. Again, this is what I personally understand and it may be off-base as my information is collected from various power company engineers with their own personal opinions.

Not one for a coal-fired boiler that I've encountered thus far. The emissions equipment in place lowers CO, but not to a level that competes with viable alternative sources.

From what I get (and this is just a layperson's viewpoint with basic uni levels of chem/physics and an interest in this poo poo, aka armchair quarterback), a huge obstacle is peak power usage. If we can get battery technology/storage technology to the point where we can store the vast quantities of excess power that we can generate at certain points, and use it when the load spikes, we could help with converting to more renewable resources. Hydroelectric (lots up here in Canuckistan) has this, in a way, given that reservoirs act as a storage facility for potential energy - so provided the reservoirs remain full, needs can be met just by raising and lowering what's going through the turbines. But its incredibly environmentally damaging (basically wipeout the landscape in an area the size of a lake), exceedingly expensive, and then running transmission lines is not cheap either.

I'm 100% on the side of go nuclear, but the anti-nuke side is almost as fervent, and stupid, as the anti-vaxx movement. I really hope we (as society) can work to start reversing this and getting people to understand the benefits.

Goddamn it Adiabatic, I think I would love to have some beers and shoot the poo poo with you hahah.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I love love love the idea of reservoir hydro. Pump water up into the reservoir at 2am when no ones using the power in that nuclear plant you can't turn off, then run the pumps backwards to generate power at 6pm when you really need it. I get that it destroys things, but after you designate a portion of land to the two reservoirs there's zero pollution otherwise. It's a sustainable method of supplying peak power, and combined with a nuclear baseline it could satisfy 100% of our power gen needs with 0 emissions.

The real problem with renewables is that by their very nature they aren't reliable. What happens to solar when night comes around, or wind turbines when there's no breeze? If we relied 100% on them, brownouts. Energy storage still has a long way to go to efficiently store vast amounts of power, cost-effectively, and for a long time. We WILL get there. It will take a while. In the meantime, the requirement for a baseline supply of constant 24/365 power is required to keep society rollin.

Meanwhile, we've got nuclear sitting here waiting to solve our problems but helicopter mom doesn't want her kid playing next to Fukushima Daiichi. Never mind that per MWh, nuclear is safer than wind power. Never mind that under normal operating conditions, coal power plants put out more than 300 times the amount of radiation compared to nuclear, because of the tiny unregulated uranium deposits naturally occurring in anthracite.

:rolleyes:

Come on over bud. Got plenty of beer.

Hah. I think you're about 30 hours of driving away :) Maybe when that winning lottery ticket comes rolling in.

Reservoir hydroelectric is actually an incredibly solid option that I think more places need to look into. Nuclear is just so goddamn clean, and if you build it somewhere smart (aka a place without major natural disasters ala earthquakes and whatnot) is so amazingly safe. Partner them together, make magic happen. Even regular hydroelectric is so effing good/efficient, once you get the infrastructure in place. I think solar has a great option as a supplemental, especially if we go urban-solar development (car parks, buildings, etc with solar panels on the roof) - help offset the energy cost of air conditioners by having massive amounts of solar available on those hot, sunny days.

Wind, eh, I'm iffy. Too much research indicating how badly turbines can massacre birds, and especially bats. Or just fix that problem, but, yeah. Tidal generators seem pretty slick as well, but I'm not sure where that is at currently.

And yes, storage is a long ways away. Once that door is opened, though, it should make a huge difference. I know people are laughing at Tesla's home battery thing, but give that idea 5-10 years? Awesome. If your house can be networked into your city, and everybody's power usage can be monitored, and your system can be told to stop running off grid for an hour to make "Rolling brownouts" that aren't noticed? drat. That poo poo would be cool.

Albeit with the hydro I use for all my electronics, people will think I'm growing pot. I wish. I'd make money then :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

88h88 posted:

A study was done on the effects of turbines on birds over here and it turned out that in terms of birds murdered by those huge loving blades it still paled into comparison to the amounts massacred by house cats.

That and there are bladeless turbines been designed which would effectively halt the slicing of our avian friends. I like wind power, there's something cool about driving past a field full of them and then realising just how loving huge they are. The dumbest thing is that the UK is an island surrounded by seas, some reasonably harsh ones. Why the gently caress isn't there more wave power being utilised?

Cats are (awesome and fuzzy and adorable) assholes. I'm sorely out of date on this research topic (like 5 years or so), so it might not be as bad as the studies I'd read suggested. And they are epic as hell.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

We have made progress globally. However, it turns out that successfully containing a ball of plasma as hot as the sun is a tiny bit difficult.

Pffft. Just needs more duct tape. I mean, really.

But in all seriousness, its crazy, and I hope we can find a way to harness it :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

My fiance's friend found a 2 week old puppy in a dumpster last night sitting in a pile of its dead siblings :( gently caress people so hard.

It's been to the vet and had fluids, a checkup, and was sexed (it's a girl.)

We're huge suckers for animals and have agreed to take it in for the time being. It's going to be need to be bottle fed. No idea what the breed is.

Here's some puppy pics.

Ah gods the little potato. Puppies are awesome. Looks like maybe some terrier in there, but at that age its a complete crapshoot.
Good on you for taking the little lady in! Make sure she gets some exposure to known safe and vaccinated dogs so she can learn some social skills, otherwise she may end up completely clueless around other dogs.
Also, more pictures :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

lol whoops

Its okay man, we all touch the poop sometimes.

Also, as we all know, everyone is evil, there are no good CEO's, and the world is ripe for the loving.

Well, okay, that's somewhat true, but there are a lot of visionaries who want to change things.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Ugh. I'm so poo poo at math, my wife is trying to re-teach me algebra so I can pass this stupid qualification exam and it's so loving confusing and frustrating that I want to put my fist through the wall.

gently caress this poo poo. I can do anything with relative ease except loving math. It loving haunts me.

Preach brother. Anything up TO calculus I'm ace at. Trig, geometry, basic physics, etc.

Calculus? hosed. The best I managed in 3 runs at it in University was a 14% on the first test. Something between my brain and calc goes ~fwoop~.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just ate an entire box of Snackwells Devil's food cookies. 720 calories in like 4 minutes.

Had a "cheat night" from our low carb eating and had a massive greasy death burger and onion rings from a local joint.
Goddamn I love greasy burgers.
Think Five-guys, but made by a mom-and-pop joint with local beef. So loving good.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

kastein posted:

You guys are amateurs, I've had 2lb of vanilla yogurt and a 20oz sack of M&Ms (3500 calories) for breakfast before :v:

My metabolism has never been great, but I think my record breakfast was likely close to 5k calories. Several varieties of meat, on friend potatos, with several types of cheese melted/baked in. About 2-3 pounds of that, several beers, and a lot of coffee with sugar and cream. It was a good weekend. There's a reason I'm a lardass and trying to lose now :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

What are they so mad for

They finally caught up to us Canadian's and realized that just loving let people get married who cares if its a pair of dongs, 2 clams, or a clammydong mix. Everyone deserves it.

Also, congrats US of A for being cool.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Apartment complex work put me in when I moved here didn't allow working on vehicles, vehicles that leaked or more than one vehicle per person. I was driving the 1980 VW Caddy diesel, it didn't drip but instead sprayed because the seal in the fuel pump was on it's way out. Always parked it over cardboard and they never cared. Did plenty of oil changes but did them early in the morning and didn't make a mess, again they didn't care. When I bought a motorcycle I parked it in the back of the truck after they complained about me parking it in the same parking spot of the truck. Glad I got out of that place.

Spent around 12 hours yesterday helping a friend move, I hurt everywhere. Worst part it this was a temporary move while she looks for a house so we'll be doing it again in a month or so. Arms are covered in bruises and scratches, the joys of bruising easily. Hit one arm on something so I have a 1"x3" area raised about a half inch but no discoloration? About half the people that said they would be there showed and most of them only lasted a couple hours. I think for the next move I'm going to talk her into renting a u-haul van or something to save a few trips. Today is going to be a long loving day.

If they have enough to fit it, yes yes yes. A U-haul Van or a trailer or something. 2 huge trips is way more efficient than 25 small ones. I've moved so many people that I know that pain. And I can fit a surprising amount into a 4x8 trailer that's about 3 feet high on the rails (tarps, paracord and ratchet straps, get stuff 8 feet or higher and it doesn't move)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

We did three trips with my golf packed and 5x7 trailer very loaded down and her pickup overflowing. Had a van there for one trip, it was also completely full. There were still two couches but she wasn't sure if she was keeping them or not. We filled a 10x15 storage unit to the roof for the back half and about eye level for the rest.

Son of a bitch...when looking to see what she's paying for storage noticed there's a u-haul place one block over. We're doing that next time even if I have to rent it myself.

Forgot to mention this was of course a second floor apartment, I was assigned pack mule duties and made way too many trips up and down those stairs. I told her to look at one level houses.

Ah, one of ~those~ moves. Fair hahah. I'm so glad that when we moved East, the wifes new company paid for a moving co. So everything in my old, tiny house took up about 25 feet of a moving van (full-sized semi trailer). Yeah, we apparently had too much poo poo. Didn't cost me anything, though, so I don't care :)

• Locked thread