Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Remember a few years ago when the Coyotes were in danger of moving? Well, it's happening again.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/09/glendale-schedules-meeting-to-explore-possible-termination-of-coyotes-lease-agreement/

ProHockeyTalk posted:

The City of Glendale has scheduled a meeting for Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. ET to discuss the possibility of terminating its current lease agreement with the Arizona Coyotes.

The Coyotes are not pleased. Nick Wood, of the law firm Snell & Wilmer, has issued the following statement on the behalf of the club:

“This is a blatant attempt to renege on a valid contract that was negotiated fairly and in good faith and in compliance with all laws and procedures. In the event the City Council initiates any action to revoke, repeal or otherwise rescind the agreement, the Coyotes will immediately take all actions available to them under the law against the City of Glendale.”

Coyotes co-owner, president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc added, “This action by the City of Glendale is completely ludicrous, especially in light of the fact that myself and Andrew Barroway visited with the City yesterday and the particulars of this were never raised. In fact, we to this moment have not been advised of this other than the notification on the City website. The City of Glendale is displaying a complete lack of good faith, business acumen or an understanding of a business partnership. We want to reassure our great fans that the Arizona Coyotes are committed to Glendale and playing at Gila River Arena.”

It is worth noting that the subject of the organization’s relationship with the City of Glendale was raised during Tuesday’s state of the union and LeBlanc mentioned the Barroway meeting with Mayor Jerry Weiers, Vice Mayor Ian Hugh, and city attorney Michael Bailey. LeBlanc categorized the meeting as “good” and said that they talked about how the franchise and city could work more closely together.

“The mayor, you know, on August 5th of 2013 when we closed the deal — actually I guess it was in July when we had the vote with the city of 2013, he came up to me afterwards, and he said, look, at the end of the day I wasn’t a supporter of the deal, but I want to do what I need to do to work with the Coyotes and make things work, and I take him as a man of his word, and he reiterated that yesterday,” LeBlanc said during the press conference.

This also comes after a TSN report in May that said senior elected city officials were exploring legal grounds to void the arena management contract. The Coyotes refuted that report.

In response:
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770386

coyotes.nhl.com posted:

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- In response to the posting issued this evening by the City of Glendale of a special meeting of council tomorrow to explore the possibility of canceling the professional management services and arena lease agreement between the City of Glendale and IceArizona, Nick Wood, of the Law Firm Snell & Wilmer, outside counsel for the Arizona Coyotes issued the following statement:

“This is a blatant attempt to renege on a valid contract that was negotiated fairly and in good faith and in compliance with all laws and procedures. In the event the City Council initiates any action to revoke, repeal or otherwise rescind the agreement, the Coyotes will immediately take all actions available to them under the law against the City of Glendale.”

Coyotes Co-owner, President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc added, “This action by the City of Glendale is completely ludicrous, especially in light of the fact that myself and Andrew Barroway visited with the City yesterday and the particulars of this were never raised. In fact, we to this moment have not been advised of this other than the notification on the City website. The City of Glendale is displaying a complete lack of good faith, business acumen or an understanding of a business partnership. We want to reassure our great fans that the Arizona Coyotes are committed to Glendale and playing at Gila River Arena.”

The Glendale city council has called for a special meeting today to decide if the Coyotes have a home in Gila River Arena, or if they'll have to play somewhere else. While it's possible this just means they move back in with the Suns in Phoenix, it could spell the end of a near-two decade era of hockey in the desert. Quebec City has taken over Winnipeg's spot as relocation threat central, but there's a laundry list of cities that desire an NHL team. Las Vegas, Seattle, Houston, Kansas City - they all want a piece of the action. What happens if the Glendale city council revokes the Coyotes' lease could quell at least one city's desire for a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Is there a stream of this meeting like the last one?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
loving move them already, sorry Coyotes fans but this shits been going on like a decade already.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If this ends up with the Coyotes back with the Suns that is probably the best thing that could happen for hockey in Arizona.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Quebec City says hi.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
gently caress quebec

edit: in terms of getting back an nhl team. the province and its people are probably cool i guess

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schlesische posted:

Quebec City says hi.

(the sound of an entire NHL team simultaneously asking for a trade)

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
On one hand I think it's pretty lovely Glendale is trying to renegotiate (unless there actually was some kind of impropriety). On the other hand it's a loving awful deal for Glendale taxpayers so it would be nice for their sakes if it got blown up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Even after 20 years, this team has never been long for Phoenix

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

tofes posted:

On one hand I think it's pretty lovely Glendale is trying to renegotiate (unless there actually was some kind of impropriety). On the other hand it's a loving awful deal for Glendale taxpayers so it would be nice for their sakes if it got blown up.

The current ownership group would use its split corporations between arena/team revenue and arena cost to trigger its exit clause anyway. The council are idiots finally acting in their best interests, instead of being kind of bought and sold. I feel it's in my best interest as a hockey fan if they stay in Arizona and move to where they can be an urban trend, which is how you bring people into a southern expansion franchise.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I'm just curious, what's the cities end game here? They think they are going to force renegotiation or are they perfectly happy to have the arena site empty but available for other development?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wait, there was an arena in the city of Phoenix proper that has hockey being played in it this whole time? Seriously?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Now that I am moving to Seattle, can the Coyotes please relocate to Seattle? Thanks in advance.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Now that I am moving to Seattle, can the Coyotes please relocate to Seattle? Thanks in advance.

I can't wait for the traditional playoff curly moustaches.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

darkwolf220 posted:

Non.

Les Nordiques son retornée.

(I hope that's right, my French is mostly just trying to find close enough words from Spanish/Italian, two languages I actually know.)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hi guys :hawksin:

Did I mention :hawksin:?

Cause darkwolf nailed it :hawksin:

Quebec can suck it; they had their chance already :hawksin:

By the way does anyone have a link to the stream of the council meeting tonight? :hawksin:

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

loving move them already, sorry Coyotes fans but this shits been going on like a decade already.

Yep. I don't know why the hell this gongshow keeps on going.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can't wait for the traditional playoff curly moustaches.

That's only if the Coyotes end up moving to the south of us and become The Portland Penny-Farthings.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

Wait, there was an arena in the city of Phoenix proper that has hockey being played in it this whole time? Seriously?
It's the Suns arena, and when the Coyotes played there originally, they had a really lovely and expensive lease with such stipulations that all 100% of all concession revenue would go to the Suns and the arena owners. Plus it wasn't built for hockey in mind, think Barclay's Center in Brooklyn.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Following Coyotes drama isn't as entertaining as it used to be now that the Glendale city manager is no longer a guy named Horatio Skeete.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Emetic Hustler posted:

Yep. I don't know why the hell this gongshow keeps on going.

Bettman's southern strategy

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevyn posted:

Following Coyotes drama isn't as entertaining as it used to be now that the Glendale city manager is no longer a guy named Horatio Skeete.

Is it the same old ancient fossil of a mayor from the last contract voting who basically couldn't make up his mind until the very last vote and second and went with :corsair: "ehhh, I dunno... sure? yes? Ugh. [BANGS GAVEL]"

ed: I think it is.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Duke Chin posted:

Is it the same old ancient fossil of a mayor from the last contract voting who basically couldn't make up his mind until the very last vote and second and went with :corsair: "ehhh, I dunno... sure? yes? Ugh. [BANGS GAVEL]"

Pretty sure the last mayor to vote on it was a woman, I forget her name, but it was not him. Also I think she had just lost re-election and was lame-duck at the time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

darkwolf220 posted:

Pretty sure the last mayor to vote on it was a woman, I forget her name, but it was not him. Also I think she had just lost re-election and was lame-duck at the time.

Okay then I'm misremember something here. Do they have a head of city council? I just remember that the last person to vote was loving ancient and was the tie breaker and just sounded sooooooo goddamn clueless.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

shyduck posted:

It's the Suns arena, and when the Coyotes played there originally, they had a really lovely and expensive lease with such stipulations that all 100% of all concession revenue would go to the Suns and the arena owners. Plus it wasn't built for hockey in mind, think Barclay's Center in Brooklyn.

I mean, Barclay's is happening despite Nassau being built for hockey so I don't see that as an impediment. It is interesting that apparently no hockey owner has ever managed a not-lovely lease agreement in the state of Arizona.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is this a stream for the festivities?
http://www.glendaleaz.com/video/

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Is this a stream for the festivities?
http://www.glendaleaz.com/video/

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss thank you

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You guys are missing out it's got that same sassy mayor as last time.
This dude just clearly hates his job and life and bureaucracy so it's very interesting to watch him not even pretend to care.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ugh.... lawyer goatees are the worst goatees.

Almost on par: baseball player goatees.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean, Barclay's is happening despite Nassau being built for hockey so I don't see that as an impediment. It is interesting that apparently no hockey owner has ever managed a not-lovely lease agreement in the state of Arizona.
Barclay's was more of a desperation/middle finger to Nassau County move though. I can't see them being there for more than 10-15 years.

The Coliseum is a dump, they needed to get out of there. They tried for years to get an arena deal and even had one approved, but fuckery from local politicians, namely Kate Murray, pretty much killed the plan. Isles had enough and bounced.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Ugh.... lawyer goatees are the worst goatees.

Almost on par: baseball player goatees.

He looks like that guy from the first Iron Man who inspires Tony Stark to escape the cave

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jokes on you, Duke, they're moving to Vegas.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone please tell me the Glendale mayor is really just as crotchety and disillusioned as he seems in a likeable way and that he doesn't have some secret/public history of horrible things.
I mean how much can you really do as mayor, though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

yellowcar posted:

no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goddamnit nooooooooooooooooooooooo I promise to feed and water and pet the team and take them on long walks to their favorite places I SWEAR!

:negative:

(you're probably right)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

yellowcar posted:

....though I could ALMOST see this playing as:

Seattle gets the yotes: pays a "smaller" relocation fee
Vegas gets fresh team: pays huge :homebrew: expansion fee
(hahahah yeah right)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The sad thing is the Coyotes are due for a jersey refresh next season too. Those things are gonna be some short-lived jerseys. I hope they're not actually good or that'll be upsetting.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

The sad thing is the Coyotes are due for a jersey refresh next season too. Those things are gonna be some short-lived jerseys. I hope they're not actually good or that'll be upsetting.

Recycled 2013 Islanders Thirds

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

^^^^^ :barf:

shyduck posted:

Barclay's was more of a desperation/middle finger to Nassau County move though. I can't see them being there for more than 10-15 years.

The Coliseum is a dump, they needed to get out of there. They tried for years to get an arena deal and even had one approved, but fuckery from local politicians, namely Kate Murray, pretty much killed the plan. Isles had enough and bounced.

The Lighthouse Project would've been so awesome and so not publicly funded.

:smith:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Lighthouse Project would've been so awesome and so not publicly funded.

:smith:

Wasn't it basically one single, lone battleaxe on your council that torpedo'd that thing? I remember reading the details a while ago but have retained none of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Duke Chin posted:

Wasn't it basically one single, lone battleaxe on your council that torpedo'd that thing? I remember reading the details a while ago but have retained none of it.

Kate Murray said no because "traffic"

I'm still so pissed thinking about it.

• Locked thread