Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Sarchasm posted:

I guess it's possible that Bison and Nash's parry work on normals in this build but aren't intended to? That just seems like a really weird thing to lie about, especially with video proof to the contrary.

Where has Nash's thing worked on normals in videos? My understanding was that it could cancel projectiles and it worked as a normal attack so you could hit people with it, but it didn't have any parry property.

From Combofiend (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/11/street-fighter-v-new-battle-system-details/)

Ryu uses his senses to “see” the opponent’s next attack and parries it accordingly. All attacks (high, low, mid) and projectiles can be parried if timed correctly. Multi hitting attacks can also be parried with the correct timing.

Nash reaches out and absorbs any normal projectile coming his way. If close enough to the opponent, Nash can absorb their life force, causing damage.

M.Bison uses his Psycho Power to absorb any normal projectile or attack coming his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Cabbagepots posted:

Hugo was actually quite a strong character in 3rd Strike, for a while recently Japan bumped him up to be the lone occupant of B+ tier (above a sizable portion of the cast).

3rd strike Hugo is awful, being marginally better than true garbage-tier characters like Twelve, Sean, and Q does not make him "quite a strong character". He's almost certainly better in SF4 than he is in 3rd strike.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

bhsman posted:

That's pretty insane, if true. Almost makes me wish such a potentially powerful defensive ability wasn't relegated to a single character. :(

You're overstating the importance of being able to parry supers. Most of the time, supers are only used on hit-confirms or as punishes. Like, if the opponent has the option to parry or block your super, you're already probably making a mistake. Whether parrying supers is even relevant depends a lot on what supers are like, too - if they're safe on block, if they're so fast that they can't be jumped.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Doesn't Birdie have some kind of thing where his whole body turns red? I barely remember anything about the character other than his throw animations were awesome with cool sounds for the chains. Also that he had Balrog moves plus 360's.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I really like fat birdie, his animations are cool.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

swamp waste posted:

The characters' proportions seem bad to me. They did in SF4 too. Bye

IMO they look like action figures.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
That's actually to scale, it's secret capcom promotion for the new Gigamaidens game.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I would actually like to see Dudley in SFV :shobon: I don't play him myself but I love watching other people do well with him and I feel his style would lend well to this game, more so than SFIV anyway. It's probably not gonna happen though so here's hoping the other new characters are fun.

Dudley is a very popular character, there's a decent chance he could be in.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Goodpart posted:

You can't kara cancel crouch normals AFAIK so using a crouch normal

Actually, you can kara cancel crouch normals in SFV, crouching normals work the same as any other normal. For maximum nerd dickwaving: you can do it in SF4 too, Evil Ryu has very good kara throw off his crouching medium kick.

It sounds like this works because you can do a staggered throw tech so slow that you bypass the kara window into the jab's active frames, so slow that you wind up actually doing a rapidfire pair of lights. The problem is that the game accepts this as a valid throw tech input - you could easily fix it simply by changing what the game will accept.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Characters can cancel some (if not all) specials into V-Trigger, and I've also seen characters cancel normals into V-Trigger on both hit and block.

It's character specific. Ryu can't cancel specials into V-Trigger because otherwise he could do DP xx V-Trigger to make it safe, but Ryu can cancel normals into V-Trigger. I have to imagine Cammy is the same way. The default behavior is that V-Trigger is a super cancel.

Also, V-Trigger activation has significant recovery frames, some of them are really punishable in neutral.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 18, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Hey how the heck does Chun Li do neutral jump split roundhouse if they took out diagonal/neutral jump normal distinctions. Is it a special case?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Broken Loose posted:

It goes like this: when you can't die from chip, chip doesn't matter anymore. Like, it matters in a big picture sense before you get low on HP, but in good games chip is literally the most important when you're low on HP (which is what makes the game more exciting since defending is way less desirable of an option). Once you're at a point where chip damage is enough to where it should be a problem, players can literally ignore it.

I feel like your first two sentences are just a truism, and your third sentence doesn't make sense. Chipping someone to where they can die from one overhead or one throw or a tag from a spammed max range jab/short is a big deal. Also plenty of match-ups in lots of street fighter games from the very beginning swing on who can eek out small advantages through chip.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 18, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Chip death is cool and not dying through chip is bad, but it's bad in an interesting way at least. It's also consistent with the rest of the design of the game: High stun that fades fast if you don't get that last hit, chip normals that fade if you don't convert to a solid hit, chip damage that doesn't kill unless you get a hit.

It weirdly makes me want Dhalsim in the game because he's the only long range zoning archetype that would actually work. You'd basically have to give any long range fireball zoning character a full screen mix-up for them to work - reduce health to zero with chip, then do a yoga sniper or ambiguous fireball teleport mix-up to kill. IMO Dhalsim with Super Turbo style mix-ups would fit in this game well and be really fun. Chipping people with far limbs, then making them eat all that damage by getting anti-aired or yoga snipered...

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

LightningKimba posted:

But dying from chip means that you never had a guess in the first place - You would always lose. Does that sound better? :ohdear:

You didn't start the match knocked down and on the floor with 1% health, dude. The "bad guess" is what put you in that situation.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
There's no reason not to if it's your second round. Also a guaranteed round is worth 3 bars too if it's really close and could go either way IMO.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

interrodactyl posted:

iirc combofriend said only throws and critical arts do hard knockdowns

The first isn't true, characters can quickrise throws. I believe it's that characters can't tech roll throws - there are two types of quickrise, a normal one, and one where they do an invincible back roll. So you get guaranteed wake-up pressure, but not enough advantage to set up a jump, for example.

edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAgWJusqevk&t=4m17s bunch of throws in this match by both characters

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 20, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's hard to space your opponent so that your options are good and his are bad when you've got the exact same options.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The KoF Kecak stage is one of the best stage/music combos ever imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvU000rzpLI

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 25, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I really wouldn't draw any conclusions from that promo match of a painfully in-development game where Ryu could get 4-hit normal fireballs in the third round.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Does anyone actually want to play R. Mika? She always seemed like one of those characters people liked the idea of, but no one actually wanted to play as.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Trykt posted:

You might be right but there's just something wrong about not having the holy shoto trinity of ryu/ken/akuma, plus they all rep that archetype in very different and cool ways so I don't think it's out of the question even with their selection requirements. I do agree (even as an unabashed shoto lover) that I hope the number of karate men in this game remains much more limited than SF4.

I genuinely hope Ken is in the game, the Ryu/Ken split is really interesting in a lot of games like ST or USF4, and given the way they're designing the characters' normals and the super character-specific V-systems, Ken could turn out really cool. [v-skill as his SF alpha roll?]

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 1, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
-Nude place-
10:00

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Doggboat posted:

I think she doesn't belong to Capcom, but the licensing thing being a problem was just assumed. They know how to do the paperwork.

I wonder if Siliconera's source is the same screenshot from neogaf we have seen a billion times. Right now it's their article against Ken Bogard's "every list with R.Mika on it is bullshit."
Maybe we will find out tomorrow.

"every list with R.Mika on it is bullshit" seems innately trustworthy.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Maybe it's a Maori guy sick with whatever Birdie had.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Oh sweet, Ken's V-skill is a command run.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/09/street-fighter-v-ken-is-back/ posted:

V-Skill
Ken runs towards the opponent, closing the distance in an instant. Ken can also choose to step kick or input another attack closer to the end of his run!

V-Trigger
Ken channels flames through his entire body for a short period of time, which powers up his special attacks by increasing their number of hits and improving their trajectory, allowing him to perform even more damaging combos.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
If you watch the trailer at half speed you can see the command run, it looks like he can cancel some of his moves into run, and a lot of the juggle combos involve runs or run cancels.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

teagone posted:

Hmm, you can continue to combo after the V-trigger is activated with Ryu? I don't remember seeing that happen at E3.

[edit] I know where was Valle SFV footage posted online, I'll scrub thru it to see if I can find that happening.

Every character can cancel normals into V-Trigger, every character except Ryu and Cammy can cancel specials into V-Trigger. iirc. Valle's combo was if you cancel a heavy punch into V-Trigger you have enough frame advantage to link into something after.

No characters could cancel into V-Skill.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Ken's V-Trigger activation functions like an FADC, the character dashes forward as part of the animation. You can do DP canceled into V-Trigger, but it's punishable on block.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Bison's hair turned white so he would fit in better with all these loving blondes.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's Japanese video-game music, of course it's gonna be over-produced and orchestrated in a really cheeseball way. We're lucky we didn't get some American ex-pat voice actor singing lyrics over half of them.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Pomp posted:

"Lucky"

Because what we really want is a Japanese native singing those lyrics phonetically.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Junk posted:

Cody loving rules, but sadly since he's already appeared on a big poster in the background of the London stage he's probably not going to show up. Such is the way of stage cameos.

You know who I wanna see? Damnd. His V-Skill can be he can whistle and call in some thugs as strikers.

The next characters will be Urien, Damnd, Karin, and Cody, and then the new bleached blond redesigns of Chun and Ryu shall be revealed.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Mutant Charlie and Mutant Blanka are going to be the new Shadoloo minions in a callback to the Street Fighter movie.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Evil Canadian posted:

I remember Skarner. That is a bad case to be sure, but say for MKX, Kitana is a prime example of why it works. She basically was fundamentally broken, and she got her first mountain of buffs, and she was still trash. If that was on the more traditional SF schedule you would just have to groove on that for about a year. Instead about a month and a half later she got some more buffs to round her out and now she is a fun, and viable character.

Counterpoint: non-NRS players abandoning their games in droves when they ruin them by overpatching, for literally the 3rd game in a row. But hey, if you're a moron that habitually picks bad characters, then the game caters to you, and if you're a smart player that picks a popular, good character and then has their strategies and combos destroyed on a week-by-week basis with no warning, sometimes literally days before a major tournament, maybe you should pick a different game.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I hope they release gameplay footage soon, it's impossible to tell how he plays or what he's supposed to be from the trailer. I really hope they learned their lesson from SF4 and he isn't another "bad at traditional Street Fighter, but look at this crazy poo poo he can do!" type guy. I hope he's more Oni than Abel.

I like when his hair becomes a sea anemone.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/19/a-new-challenger-joins-street-fighter-v-introducing-necalli/

V-skill is the ground pound.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
There is no way that list is complete, he has to have more moves. In the trailer they showed the command grab and the slash, but they also showed a walking stomp move, and we know it's not a command normal because he does the EX version at one point.

Also I see people saying that the DP and the berserker barrage might be the same move, but I don't think so because he does an EX version of the horizontal berserker barrage, but he also does an EX version of the upwards DP.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 21, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Sade posted:

re: Necalli, it seems weird and unlike capcom to reveal a partial special move list for a brand-new character. I feel like the DP-type move has gotta be a variation on his regular discus thing.

That still doesn't explain the EX foot stomp, though.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Are blockstrings into fireball as unsafe as they look, because they look hella unsafe - no pushback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Al Borland posted:

Being a PC poverty player I am excited to watch twitch tomorrow :D I'm hoping it'll have like extra characters to surprise us with.

The opposite, probably. They said they weren't launching with Ken initially, and they were going to add him in as a test of their DLC-character functionality, or something like that.

• Locked thread