Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you're not a hand-wringing bitch who feels sorry for shitheaded publishers like activision and electronic arts, you will basically pay for the cost of computer hardware instantly with your piracy options, if you smartly choose to use them rather than give electronic arts a cent of your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

consoles are types of computers
so are microwaves. in fact... you are surrounded by computers.

there is no escaping it op.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acid Haze posted:

I built a computer 7 years ago that cost me around $1000 spaced out over several months. It still can play anything that comes out for the PC today, and on high settings. All I've upgraded is the video card, the CPU is a liquid cooled 3ghz core-2-duo. I'm playing Attila Total War right now which is a fairly GPU and CPU intensive game but it still runs well.

One benefit consoles have had on PC gaming is because everyone wants to make sure they can release on console, they've effectively cut the tech arms race way the hell back. Nobody's pushing the highest end hardware to it's limit so more and more, you don't need it. As long as you PC is better than the weakest of the two mainstream systems, you'll get ports handicapped by said system.

Last gen the Xbox360 was the handicap, this gen it's the Xbone. The gen before that it was PS/2. Wii is an example of what happens when you go TOO far underspec; you get lovely, lovely "ports" that are actually horrendous farmed out knock-off games that share the same art assets with far lower polygons.

hemophilia posted:

If you're not a hand-wringing bitch who feels sorry for shitheaded publishers like activision and electronic arts, you will basically pay for the cost of computer hardware instantly with your piracy options, if you smartly choose to use them rather than give electronic arts a cent of your money.

Or if you want to fund the developers and not be an rear end in a top hat, give some of your money to Valve instead and just buy poo poo on Steam sale. Unless it's MP centric or a runaway smash like Skyrim, the discounts come fast and they come easy.

I wouldn't blame someone for pirating a ridiculous $70 game, to be honest. It's loving nuts. But when the price is slashed to like $10 or even far less, gently caress, just buy it already.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 19, 2015

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

consoles are types of computers
so are microwaves. in fact... you are surrounded by computers.

there is no escaping it op.

but wait

is my smartphone a computer?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can get a wired xbox controller and use a controller in games on a PC

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I strangely miss the days when some pc games were so bleeding edge the minimum system requirements were basically "we'll tell you once the technology has been released" but I think Crysis 1 was the last game that really did this; since then the dev cost increase requires that it works on consoles and the largest possible number of pc's (which are also increasingly laptops with intel graphics inside).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Matey posted:

but wait

The thing he's not getting is your Microwave probably isn't running on a proper full build of Windows. Not talking Windows CE here.

Xbone is a full version of Windows gimped to only run Xbox software. Literally. I think the PS4 is just running straight up Linux now too, isn't it?

ED: Literally to cross develop a game on Xbone - PC, all you have to do is add support for more video settings, adjust the UI, and add hardware support. It's already pretty much done beyond that.

Matey posted:

is my smartphone a computer?

By the technical definition, absolutely.

It's just not a personal computer. But it is the definition of a computer.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, you don't have to pay for games

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
If we're going to include the cost of a monitor then we should also include the cost of a TV for a console.

I mean I bought my monitor like 10 years ago and it's still perfectly functional. And yes, I was able to build my current PC (minus monitor cost) for around 500 bucks and it runs any new game flawlessly.

Plus you save tons of money just downloading all your games. TRY DOING THAT ON XBOX !

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

One benefit consoles have had on PC gaming is because everyone wants to make sure they can release on console, they've effectively cut the tech arms race way the hell back. Nobody's pushing the highest end hardware to it's limit so more and more, you don't need it. As long as you PC is better than the weakest of the two mainstream systems, you'll get ports handicapped by said system.

Last gen the Xbox360 was the handicap, this gen it's the Xbone. The gen before that it was PS/2. Wii is an example of what happens when you go TOO far underspec; you get lovely, lovely "ports" that are actually horrendous farmed out knock-off games that share the same art assets with far lower polygons.

Or if you want to fund the developers and not be an rear end in a top hat, give some of your money to Valve instead and just buy poo poo on Steam sale. Unless it's MP centric or a runaway smash like Skyrim, the discounts come fast and they come easy.

I wouldn't blame someone for pirating a ridiculous $70 game, to be honest. It's loving nuts. But when the price is slashed to like $10 or even far less, gently caress, just buy it already.

eat poo poo retard

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

PCs will be cool in 20 years when we can emulate Bloodborne

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah the fact most modern engines can spit out compiled games for multiple platforms has also been a boon to PCs.

Literally in some cases if you press "PS4" instead of "Xbox One" or "PC" it'll spit out a fully operational PS4 build, just lacking in the proper nomenclature or hardware optimization. But that is literally 90% of the work in the past, in one click.

hemophilia posted:

eat poo poo retard

Supports a system that pays the developers and doesn't rip off the customer? Retarded!

"Please release more PC ports so we can pirate them" is how the PC nearly went to extinction in the first place.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A guy at my work spent 3 grand building a gaming pc and when he listed the specs he said that it should last 10 years running stuff on ultra but I'm pretty sure pound for pound its like 20% better than the 800$ PC i built and then its only really the graphics card.

shameful

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

mlyp

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A guy at my work spent 3 grand building a gaming pc and when he listed the specs he said that it should last 10 years running stuff on ultra but I'm pretty sure pound for pound its like 20% better than the 800$ PC i built and then its only really the graphics card.

shameful

My PC is old as poo poo (An i5 750) and upgrading the graphics card has allowed me to run everything I want maxed out without issue.

Maybe I'll have to turn the settings down in Star Citizen but the alpha runs pretty smooth so..

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

yeah processors aren't the bottleneck anymore and haven't been for like the last 2 gens so buying a $350 processor is just dumb and pointless. at the same time you need an i3 or something, every game now requires a quad core basically (even the ones that don't)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I spent 500$ on what I have now in 2012 expressly to play Skyrim. With a new videocard, I could probably play Fallout 4.

but loving lol at fallout 4 nigga how retarded would you be to preorder that lmao

Anyway SHSC has solid advice - I built this to their spec and the only parts that have given me any issues whatsoever are the parts I went full retard on and didn't get according to their advice.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
If you get a PC just for gaming kill yourself

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Your Rain posted:

If you get a PC just for gaming kill yourself

same, but especially any console

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
Notice how every time they say games are cheaper they mention a 5+ year old game.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

NakedWithCandy posted:

Notice how every time they say games are cheaper they mention a 5+ year old game.

"hello, I'm a loving simpleton who has to play a game right after it's released. I'm also going to bitch in QCS about GBS spoiling game of thrones. please loving ban me immediately"

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lmao at this nerd thinking hes cool w/ last years mid-range cpu. You sure showed us, forum poster "THE DOG HOUSE".

edit: holy poo poo theres even more benchmarking stuff on your desktop..... what do you even use your computer for? Getting mediocre results on synthetic benchmarks instead of actually using your pc? I overclock just fine using aida64 and Real Actual Video Games to test stability.

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 19, 2015

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
you guys are goddamn nerds lol, suck my smelly balls

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

a bone to pick posted:

you guys are goddamn nerds lol, suck my smelly balls

I loving love being a nerd, it is loving great, I don't even give a gently caress

unlike all the loving poseurs in this dieing comedy forum who every day take great pains to try and illustrate how they aren't a nerd and aren't fooling loving anyone

be honest with yourselves you stupid fake pieces of poo poo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
time to play some motherfucking Cities: Skylines, later bitchtits

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's pretty simple, really. A console costs about 500$ or so and that last you a solid 10-15 years of video gaming bliss. A top of the line Alienware PC, for example, is about 3000k. That is pretty much the bare minimum for PC gaming. You will probably also want to upgrade your videocard every 8-10 months too, so that's anywhere from 700-1200$. One thing that PC has over consoles is you get a lot of indy titles for 5$ that have about 3 hours of repetitive gameplay and the graphics look like they were created in 1995.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Poetic Justice posted:

It's pretty simple, really. A console costs about 500$ or so and that last you a solid 10-15 years of video gaming bliss. A top of the line Alienware PC, for example, is about 3000k. That is pretty much the bare minimum for PC gaming. You will probably also want to upgrade your videocard every 8-10 months too, so that's anywhere from 700-1200$. One thing that PC has over consoles is you get a lot of indy titles for 5$ that have about 3 hours of repetitive gameplay and the graphics look like they were created in 1995.

http://kotaku.com/golden-xbox-one-will-cost-you-just-9778-80-1484266063

holy gently caress look at that xbox it cost 10 grand how can anyone afford console gaiming?!?!?! gently caress

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Who cares about the price. PC's ain't for poors. Maybe that should be the slogan for pc gaming, like EA's "It's In The Game" or Nitendos "We Have No Clue What We Are Doing".

PC GAMING: NOT FOR POORS! *mad-sick guitar riff*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I have a feeling people listing outrageously high prices have never built a PC themselves. My current rig cost me 500 or so, is 4ish years old, and still plays stuff fine. The first computer I built was more like 800 but lasted about 8 years and really only got outdated due to it's ancient cpu and incompatibility with modern direct x. Computers are also nice because when they break it's a modular issue, you can just replace what broke. Similarly, if you have friends you can scavenge old parts from them when they upgrade. The last console I had was a 360 but I sold it to a friend because all the games I wanted to play on it were on the PC too.

Also with steam computer gaming is way cheaper than consoles longrun. Modern trends with dlc make used games suck now but steam will still sell you last year's game at 80% off while gamestop will be mayber 5 bucks cheaper than launch.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 19, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I have a feeling people listing outrageously high prices have never built a PC themselves. My current rig cost me 500 or so, is 4ish years old, and still plays stuff fine. The first computer I built was more like 800 but lasted about 8 years and really only got outdated due to it's ancient cpu and incompatibility with modern direct x. Computers are also nice because when they break it's a modular issue, you can just replace what broke. Similarly, if you have friends you can scavenge old parts from them when they upgrade. The last console I had was a 360 but I sold it to a friend because all the games I wanted to play on it were on the PC too.

I've been building top of the line pc rigz since I was like 13.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
being a nerd is fine as long as you understand it doesn't mean "doesn't work"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Poetic Justice posted:

I've been building top of the line pc rigz since I was like 13.

So you're one of the idiots that pays 5x the price for a 10% better specs? Yeah if you're dumb and buy the newest part for each slot pcs are expensive but you can easily build a great budget system that will last you a while for a fraction of that.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

texaholic posted:

We are talking $350-$400 and this includes the operating system basically everything except the keyboard+mouse and monitor.

No way in hell, you computer gaming dorks are delusional

lol @ paying for an operating system. You can literally uninstall the update that checks to see if your windows copy is legit or not using their own update removal tool.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

You can't play anything on a pc unless it has two GeForce GTX Titans installed.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

PC GAMING: NOT FOR POORS! *mad-sick guitar riff*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I spent $3,000 to play Arkham Knight and Angry Birds.

Suck it PS4ilures. :smug::smug::smug:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i have a semi-decent pc to play my strategy games and a ps4 to play everything else basically i am the smartest person in this thread and ever

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Incomplete Fish posted:

Lmao at this nerd thinking hes cool w/ last years mid-range cpu. You sure showed us, forum poster "THE DOG HOUSE".

edit: holy poo poo theres even more benchmarking stuff on your desktop..... what do you even use your computer for? Getting mediocre results on synthetic benchmarks instead of actually using your pc? I overclock just fine using aida64 and Real Actual Video Games to test stability.

this is all so bad lol

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you cant upgrade the ram in the xbone to the right kind of ram i heard, plus my amd 64 is 64 bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
For the stupid people itt who quote the price of the most expensive and up to date part the trick is to realize that the price per performance curve pretty much flattens out when you get to the very top. If you buy last year's good gpu etc you will be paying an incredibly small fraction of the price for only a minor difference in performance. At the point where you are buying nvidia's latest graphics card you're pretty much lighting money on fire to impress yourself (sad) or other people (sadder).

• Locked thread