Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Hope I live long enough to see Mad Max made real.

Null Profusion posted:

Knowing that we are going to end up going extinct by our own hand and it's too late to stop it, we need to get the 2-5 remaining generations working on setting up the sort of eternal monuments we'd like our civilization to be remembered for when life eventually rediscovers us.

Do we want immense chrome anvils that consume the last of our fossil fuels to belch mile-high flames into the atmosphere like a beacon? Why not, we're all dying! How about labyrinthine dungeons filled with devious traps, clever riddles and images depicting unfathomable wealth. We could hide an H-bomb in the center disguised as treasure, set to detonate when disturbed. If we don't have a hope of feeding, clothing or preventing disease in the masses, we may as well be putting our manpower toward creating towering, eternal edifices of stone and steel that loom over the landscape for no other purpose than to proclaim our ownership. The pyramids at Giza have stood for almost 5000 years. With modern materials and hubris I'm sure we could create something far more lasting for future life-forms to find. Something to proclaim the legacy and accomplishment of every man and woman who ever lived, died, loved, hated, hosed, killed or created anything on this mote of dust in space. Something that encapsulates the paradoxical resourcefulness of a species that realizes the greatest gifts of nature and harnesses the fundamental forces of reality in a mad quest for self annihilation.

An eternally raised middle finger, pointed at the whole of the cosmos proclaiming "this is what curiosity gets you."

cool. like the opposite of nuclear waste storage symbolism

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
is this like htat mayan calender thing

or in the 70s when they said we were out of oil

or y2k

or global warming(lol climate change)

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Ramsus posted:

is this like htat mayan calender thing

or in the 70s when they said we were out of oil

or y2k

or global warming(lol climate change)

This is like Gamergate aka no laughing matter thankyou.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
With our toxic legacy we can be rest assured that when future intelligent species or visiting aliens prise open nuclear waste containers in an archaeological dig that humans once again can be blamed for unnecessary deaths.
Way to go human race, still killing species even after thousands of years since going extinct.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 25, 2015

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's gonna be awesome, it will be like in the movies when they open the sarcophagus inside the tomb at the bottom of the pyramid and unwittingly unleash a deadly disease upon the world!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why should we feel sorry? What have these animals done for us lately? Good riddance, loving leeches.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this species was pretty gay anyway to tell the truth

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
earth is gay as hell most scientists agree

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Humans will survive another mass extinction.

We survived the last one after all the megafauna was blown to bits when Canada's icesheet got it's poo poo pushed in. Intelligent life adapts that's what separates it from other life.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

error1 posted:

It's gonna be awesome, it will be like in the movies when they open the sarcophagus inside the tomb at the bottom of the pyramid and unwittingly unleash a deadly disease upon the world!

its us, we are the disease

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Seriously sofar every single loving armageddon scenario has sofar been proven wrong because people eventually figure out how to have your cake and eat it too.

That's the entire beauty of the human race, we can progress without sacrificing anything of value. But people don't think that's as a romantic of an image, and like the idea of being punished by the earth.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
It would probably be difficult to post in this thread had any of those previous armageddon scenarios come true

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Frankenstyle posted:

Sure it's bad, but will it impact my monthly cable bill?

This except gas prices

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
"This study echos a study that was published last year"

But it doesn't mention there's roughly a dozen other studies from reputable sources from the same time frame saying "Yeah human existence really isn't hosed and we'll solider on"

You fell for a journalistic trick. They only post the doomsday poo poo because it gets people to read and click on ads. There's dozens upon dozens of hundreds of people already working on these issues.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Intelligent life adapts that's what separates it from other life.
adapting is exactly the thing we arent doing right now
were just going about our routine like a dull eye calf

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

gary oldmans diary posted:

adapting is exactly the thing we arent doing right now
were just going about our routine like a dull eye calf

there's a difference between adapting and planning ahead

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Germstore posted:

there's a difference between adapting and planning ahead
the difference is intelligence

fools have to learn by experience
like animals

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

gary oldmans diary posted:

the difference is intelligence

fools have to learn by experience
like animals

idiot

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im liking that new sig

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I found a correlated study:

New Apex Predator Discovered

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

for about 13 seconds I thought this was a real article. either I'm very stupid (probably) or I'm used to seeing stupid things in news articles (probably)

solo humping pro
Jun 4, 2015
the cycle begins anew

my only regret is not being able to see the cool animals that will rise from our dead gay ashes

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I thought it was known we were in a new man-made extinction phase for years now. There was a whole exhibit at the Chicago Field Museum about it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
earth dying, so what

we'll just find another planet, gobble it up and then move on. Kinda like teh aliens from Independence day

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
things have already got bad lol, we live in brick boxes and work to make some smug fuckers rich, whereas we should be roaming the plain hunting noble beasts & exterminating neanderthals

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

We are not so much killing the planet as making it unfit for human habitation. The planet and most life on it will survive. We will probably not.

You are a retard

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
I'd really like some kind of government that treats the environment as a priority but that would mean changing things and that's not gonna happen without some other poo poo collapsing first so I guess I'll just keep posting

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

Humans will survive another mass extinction.

We survived the last one after all the megafauna was blown to bits when Canada's icesheet got it's poo poo pushed in. Intelligent life adapts that's what separates it from other life.

I'm hoping your not amongst the survivors.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 25, 2015

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
My favorite part of climate change is how nobody focuses on the positive change: very dry climates are receiving more rainfall and growing again, opening the way for them to be used for crops and pastures, eg North Africa

solo humping pro
Jun 4, 2015
im calling ti right now in 15 years california will become just like arizona and oregon and washington will ebcome the new places for hip young sex-fiends to live

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

solo humping pro posted:

im calling ti right now in 15 years california will become just like arizona and oregon and washington will ebcome the new places for hip young sex-fiends to live

Arizona is actually awesome so this is a good thing

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
drill baby drill

we can live in caves right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

See this is why I don't want to have children

YOU HEAR THAT MOM

• Locked thread