Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is singapore as cool as i think it is or not
yes super cool, nearly perfect
no there is a serf underclass
no bcause it is bad for the environment
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

baw posted:

i cant see the smiley you used, please describe it to me in precise detail

are you somehow using the old stylesheet???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SweetKarma posted:

Nobody books a ticket for another country just for the food. Unless you're rich and feel like tasting food in another country makes you "cultured".

there are places where countries are close together, especially for literal city-states like singapore

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beef Turret posted:

Probably because Scandinavian style social democracy is superior to gook authoritarianism OP

it'd be interesting to look at their relative prosperity with metrics (life satisfaction, infant mortality rate, poo poo like that) instead of just ranking by ideological purity - both places are obviously quite prosperous but I don't believe you have a good reason to believe that one is better in practice than the other besides that you want it to be true

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nah happiness in aggregate matters more, if you could torture one guy indefinitely and somehow it solves world hunger and prevents malaria worldwide, you should do it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yep exactly what I was thinking of - cool story

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sekenr posted:

It makes me incredibly pleased that it's not possible

The point is to craft an example where it's obviously the right thing to do, in order to make it clear that there are situations where one should compromise the happiness of the worst off person for the greater good. It, in essence, proves that there needs to be a discussion in order to figure out when one is in that situation, rather than blithely stating "it's never okay" and feeling satisfied.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

etalian posted:

Let's feel good about a regime that keeps the trains running on time while having intense censorship, bans gays from jobs, social engineering on every level and is basically a one party capitalist dictatorship.

It's what you get by combining the Hive and Capitalist factions from alpha centauri.

maybe we should judge a country and it's leadership by its citizens self-reported levels of satisfaction and other objective metrics rather than ideological purity

(spoilers: they're good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The UN had it as 30th worldwide in 2013(in its world happiness report), and the highest in all of Asia.

I know you deleted this post but it actually was pretty much what I meant so I'm curious what the source of the discrepancy was. I guess my point is really that it's hard to criticize a system of government if the people there are quite happy, but maybe that's not actually the case? I have a somewhat hard time believing that the average citizen in Singapore is less happy than the average citizen of Afghanistan, I'd be interested in reading more about that poll.

It's funny because "happiness" is the most subjective metric I'd really want to look at but also probably the most important. Singapore has a really good infant mortality rate and GDP/person (obviously an imperfect statistic because it doesn't reflect inequality, so it probably is not really correlated with happiness).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2015

• Locked thread