Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Ok so, both me and my SO have social anxiety issues. We share an apartment and a bed and do all the normal couple things but any serious discussion we will log in to AIM and work it out from separate rooms. We’ve been together for a year or so now and I’m thinking of asking her to marry me.

We don’t really have any fights per se – mostly comes up when there is a disagreement but we are not in reach of our computers, like out at the mall or something. We’ve tried texting each other but that gets super awkward really fast. She is also unemployed and her cell phone plan charges per text message so we can’t get any deep stuff worked out without it costing an arm and a leg.

I’m worried that if I ask in person she will get upset and start crying again. We definitely love each other and want this to last but she doesn’t like to be put on the spot. I’m considering leaving the ring in the fridge, asking her to marry me and then telling her to go check the fridge.

I tried to ask some friends or my parents what they think but it got super awkward so I dropped it. My parents don’t have IM or facebook so it’s hard to talk to them. A couple ppl I play games with said it was a good idea so that’s good I guess.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lmao this cannot be real

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
If it works for you, what the hell does it matter what we, the unwashed masses, who sit here only to judge the hijinx of strangers think?

I expect the following posts will list reasons you should be second-guessing your wish to propose to your girlfriend, most of which will question her unemployment and inability/unwillingness to communicate like a mature adult.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
A year in seems really early to propose.

Especially considering you can't have face to face serious discussions without the ability to self-edit through AIM.

You should probably slow your roll and just continue to enjoy the relationship - there's no need to rush a marriage.

Why do you feel this is the right time to propose?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
It's 2015, the mere act of using AIM is tacky

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Also lol holy poo poo maybe gain the ability to hold a conversation with each other before you try to legally tether yourselves together

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So you're in bed together and a serious discussion comes up. You both leave the bed and go to other rooms and log into computers and chat that way?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dirty Beluga posted:

We’ve tried texting each other but that gets super awkward really fast. She is also unemployed and her cell phone plan charges per text message so we can’t get any deep stuff worked out without it costing an arm and a leg.

This is my favorite part I think?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

I tried to ask some friends or my parents what they think but it got super awkward so I dropped it

What specifically happened here? When it was brought up, what exactly did they say or how did they react?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Write "will you marry me" on a paper airplane then throw it at her and hide in your room

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang
I do.

January
Jul 5, 2009
Good fakepost. Funny to imagine a couple living in the same apt. but unable to communicate because of per-text messaging fees. There's always pen and paper.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Setting aside all the other problems with this trainwreck, maybe a surprise proposal is not the best idea for your girlfriend's crippling pathological anxiety issues??? It turns out that adults can discuss and plan for their shared future without dramatically revealing several thousand dollars worth of ring.

Come to think of it, I don't think I know anyone who's emotionally mature enough for marriage who didn't discuss proposing at length with their SO before proposing, which probably explains why you're considering a surprise proposal to someone you haven't talked about marriage at all to.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I have no idea if aim supports it or not because it's been ten years since anyone used it, but consider sending her an emoji that looks like a wedding ring to gauge her reaction. If she's all "omg yes" them you're set, if her response is something about literally shaking at her desk, you just tell her you sent the wrong thing and send a picture of a cat or something

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

Why do you feel this is the right time to propose?
It just feels right. A few of our friends are getting married now and she’s hinted around that ‘it must be nice’ and stuff like that so def seems like she’s ready. I really love her and am worried that if I wait around she’ll find someone else.

flashy_mcflash posted:

So you're in bed together and a serious discussion comes up. You both leave the bed and go to other rooms and log into computers and chat that way?
No we don’t leave bed, we just… kinda stop talking about whatever was bothering us and pick up the conversation in the morning. I have plenty of time to chat at work and she is on the computer all day anyway filling out resumes.I’ll admit it’s not ideal and I’ve tried to get her to talk more openly about things but it always results in crying / shaking. I love her and don’t want to upset her like that.

flashy_mcflash posted:

What specifically happened here? When it was brought up, what exactly did they say or how did they react?
Nothing out of the ordinary when I asked friends / parents. My dad is the macho i-don’t-talk-about-feelings type and prettymuch said ‘well do whatever feels right son’ and then changed the subject. Friends seemed to be just as passive too with stuff like “you seem happy together, go for it I guess” type answers. Honestly, I was hoping for more enthusiasm and when nobody seemed to care I just stopped bringing it up.

It's not going to be a surprise, I don't think. We've been to other weddings and she's made comments about 'how nice it must be' etc... so she's def into the idea. As far as the chatting thing, I know it's not ideal and we're working on it. Our therapist said to try writing down stuff that is hard to say and since both of our handwriting is terrible we migrated to AIM. It's just much easier to type for both of us than it is to re-write the same thing over and over again until it's legible.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

JakeP posted:

lmao this cannot be real

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

JakeP posted:

This is my favorite part I think?

That's good but this is my favorite.

Dirty Beluga posted:

My parents don’t have IM or facebook so it’s hard to talk to them.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
If you get married will it be a full on ceremony/reception thing where she has a crippling panic attack at the altar, or will it just be a quick trip down to city hall where she has a crippling panic attack at the registrar

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
please invite the forums to whatever windswept cliff in wow your wedding will be held at tia

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Are you guys planning on having kids? If so, how do you plan on communicating with them before they learn to read?

Serious post: provided this is for real, I can tell you as someone with SA (though nowhere as bad as you guys) that IMing each other when you're in the same apartment is really bad for your SA. You guys need to stop enabling each other and learn to talk to each out loud or your SA is not going to improve.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I hope you two elope and have a wonderful e-lationship

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dirty Beluga posted:

I really love her and am worried that if I wait around she’ll find someone else.

How could that possibly happen. How do people like you two even find each other in the first place? How do people like this exist?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

lambeth posted:

Are you guys planning on having kids? If so, how do you plan on communicating with them before they learn to read?

Serious post: provided this is for real, I can tell you as someone with SomethingAwful (though nowhere as bad as you guys) that IMing each other when you're in the same apartment is really bad for your SomethingAwful. You guys need to stop enabling each other and learn to talk to each out loud or your SomethingAwful is not going to improve.

My brain is off to a bad start, this is how this read to me at first

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
What's her sa username

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JakeP posted:

lmao this cannot be real

agreed

still pretty funny though

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
One of my best friends in high school moved to Arkansas for a girl he met online when he was like 20. They got married and are by all accounts still super happy more than a decade later, but the last time I ever went to hang out with them they were both playing WoW on a shared desk and were chatting to each other in game instead of just talking across the two feet that separated them and it really struck me. To this day I still feel profoundly unsettled by it. Talking with my partner is one of my favorite things in the world. Different strokes I guess, maybe I'm being too judgme- nah.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Follow your heart, OP.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Check the fridge *gives knowing look* you know where it is.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

please invite the forums to whatever windswept cliff in wow your wedding will be held at tia

:drat:

This almost sounds more like you guys are living a long distance relationship. Was there ever any of that in this relationship when it began, or were you two always in the same city? I was married 9 years. Being able to have constructive fights that resolve the issues which inevitably creep into a relationship is extremely important. Enough cannot be said about emotions carried in the nuance of voice and facial expressions. There is nothing more powerful than watching someone you love cry because of what you did and owning it. Written text is the basest form of discussion. If you're serious about starting a long-term relationship with her, have you considered getting you two into joint/group counseling to address this issue first? I think it's a good idea.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Assuming it's all real, if you can't talk about something like this without her freaking out, your relationship has too many underlying problems for you to be getting married. First you need treatment, then you can think about marriage.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Leave her a note.

code:
Do you want to get married?
[  ] Yes           [  ] No

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Real answer. Just loving do whatever. You are both really weird so do whatever weird thing seems acceptable. Just keep in mind, eventually one of you might grow up and it will turn real lovely real fast.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dirty Beluga posted:

It just feels right. A few of our friends are getting married now and she’s hinted around that ‘it must be nice’ and stuff like that so def seems like she’s ready. I really love her and am worried that if I wait around she’ll find someone else.

No we don’t leave bed, we just… kinda stop talking about whatever was bothering us and pick up the conversation in the morning. I have plenty of time to chat at work and she is on the computer all day anyway filling out resumes.I’ll admit it’s not ideal and I’ve tried to get her to talk more openly about things but it always results in crying / shaking. I love her and don’t want to upset her like that.

Nothing out of the ordinary when I asked friends / parents. My dad is the macho i-don’t-talk-about-feelings type and prettymuch said ‘well do whatever feels right son’ and then changed the subject. Friends seemed to be just as passive too with stuff like “you seem happy together, go for it I guess” type answers. Honestly, I was hoping for more enthusiasm and when nobody seemed to care I just stopped bringing it up.

It's not going to be a surprise, I don't think. We've been to other weddings and she's made comments about 'how nice it must be' etc... so she's def into the idea. As far as the chatting thing, I know it's not ideal and we're working on it. Our therapist said to try writing down stuff that is hard to say and since both of our handwriting is terrible we migrated to AIM. It's just much easier to type for both of us than it is to re-write the same thing over and over again until it's legible.

Why haven't you aim chatted about marriage? You should know if she's ready. My gf of almost two years is not ready, and will likely never be ready, and would rather co-habitate without marriage because she feels marriage leads to people taking the other for granted. I know about this because we have had numerous discussions about our plans for the future. Most of these take place on long car rides driving between each other's places, which is where we have most of our "deep" conversations.

It sounds like your plans for locking her down are kind of what my gf fears to be honest - wouldn't it be better to propose knowing that this person wants you in their life forever, and vice versa, rather than feeling you need to lock them down so they can't get away?

It sounds like you guys have found a method to communicate which is good but you might want to use the communication method to figure out what her real feelings are about marriage. If she's not ready to talk about it, even through your serious-discussion-channel of AIM, then she might not be ready for marriage but she might feel obligated / scared into it, which is not going to build a healthy future for you two.

You don't have to be married to be committed to each other and in love with each other and supportive. You can go another year or two or five without being married and if the marriage was meant to be it won't be jeopardized by waiting.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
wait a second are there really people stupid enough to believe this post is real?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

How about while you are sitting next to each other on your computers..you change your fb status to "married" and then stare at her meaningfully until she notices. Then tell her to look in the fridge.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirty Beluga posted:

Ok so, both me and my SO have social anxiety issues. We share an apartment and a bed and do all the normal couple things but any serious discussion we will log in to AIM and work it out from separate rooms. We’ve been together for a year or so now and I’m thinking of asking her to marry me.

We don’t really have any fights per se – mostly comes up when there is a disagreement but we are not in reach of our computers, like out at the mall or something. We’ve tried texting each other but that gets super awkward really fast. She is also unemployed and her cell phone plan charges per text message so we can’t get any deep stuff worked out without it costing an arm and a leg.

I’m worried that if I ask in person she will get upset and start crying again. We definitely love each other and want this to last but she doesn’t like to be put on the spot. I’m considering leaving the ring in the fridge, asking her to marry me and then telling her to go check the fridge.

I tried to ask some friends or my parents what they think but it got super awkward so I dropped it. My parents don’t have IM or facebook so it’s hard to talk to them. A couple ppl I play games with said it was a good idea so that’s good I guess.

don't discuss serious issues soley on the computer what the heck
don't loving ask her to marry you over aim! are you 14.

if you can't even discuss serious issues in person you are nowhere near being ready to be married

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

down with slavery posted:

wait a second are there really people stupid enough to believe this post is real?

Everything is real.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I hope your girlfriend is like most of the girls from my high school (back when people used AIM, more than a decade ago) and her heartfelt response looks something like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
C- Obviously fake, but reading still made me chuckle imagining it was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

don't be ridiculous.

they pull out their phones and txt eachother.

• Locked thread