Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I tried this game and I didn't find it very compelling.

It was probably because normals don't cancel into each other, they link like it's 1970.

Plus the whole "you have three one-button specials and that's it" too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's some codes as well

PB7Y2-9LGZD-HANAG-OU4L3-QMAEN
BFXUT-8DGY6-PM6PY-YDSZW-JZ4AH

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Seriously tho why did they put links into a super simple accessible fighter

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Skullgirls is real good, actually

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Synonamess Botch posted:

I don't think Chel has any useful links, everything starts from f+H which is way too slow to be useful. She has like no way of opening people up once she gets in. Maybe I'm just playing her wrong. I mean I win most of the time, but she feels really lovely.

I'm trying really hard to like this game but the more I play it the more I dislike it. Not having specials on deck whenever I need them is frustrating. It's really slow, the footsies game feels bad, idk besides the f2p moba aspects i'm not sure what this game is supposed to bring to the table mechanically.

Pretty much this, there's basically zero depth.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Probably the easiest edge combo to mash out is (Optional jump-in)-S.M-S.H-S.H into S3.h for the bounce into S1/S2/Super on the rebound.

His S.L/crouching attacks seem to combo into basically nothing, but I'm bad at fightmans.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 4, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Trying to do the universal crossup on a stick is super annoying. If you do a down-left or a down-right then you just get a normal heavy. You need to do a perfect down input, which is really easy on keyboard because it's just a single button. On pad and stick I often get a diagonal.

Yeah this is pretty annoying.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Why links in a fighter designed to be accessible?

Why?

E: I honestly don't understand the thought process there

Syenite fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 5, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Let me clarify

I'm real bad at fightgames unlike you guys and they're unnecessarily annoying in a game where the most complex input is down heavy

Dias posted:

Every fighter has links, and these are ultra-lenient, you can literally mash as fast as possible between buttons and get them.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong then

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I shall report back re: mashing

Jmcrofts posted:

Can you explain your preferred alternative? All normals chain into all other normals? No comboing a normal into a normal?

I'm personally partial to L-M-H chaining like in marvel type games, but this is way more of a SF type fighter so that probably wouldn't work

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 6, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
OK so mashing insanely hard works reliably, but it's a lot dumber than just letting you buffer an input or something.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

5 frame window

Shukaro posted:

real bad at fightgames

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

The target audience for the game isn't going to know what buffering an input is. They'll just mash.

If you have to mash out every normal combo hard enough to wear out your buttons then why not just let you chain normals is what I'm saying. It's supposed to be easy and accessible apparently or is that just a weird thing they said.

Trykt posted:

The only actual problem is your attitude, you can totally do it if you think you can. You think you can't, so you can't. Unless you are a person that literally never plays videogames except for this one time or you have no arms or something you are 100% capable of doing all links in this game with 5 minutes of practice at the outside. Please see this post as 50% encouraging motivational pep-talk and 50% calling you out on the same "execution barrier" non-excuse we get to read in literally every fighting game thread since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar.

it literally is a weird execution barrier for no reason though, is the thing

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Mortal Kombat lets you dial your entire kombo as fast as you want and then does it. It's a way better system for a fighting game that wants to be accessible, because it means you can tell a player "this combo goes: X Y Z" and then all he has to do is hit those buttons and only those buttons as fast as he can, no further timing needed.

Exactly, here you have you either have spot-on timing or mash super hard which is not exactly "accessible" (the point of this game?) compared to just dialing them in or letting normals chain.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Chains are great and I don't see why this game doesn't have a basic one or two for every character, but asking for the complete removal, or even significant reduction, of all links seems silly and sorta implies you don't actually know how startup works on moves.

I don't remember saying that, just that it's all weird (in the context of an "accessible" fighting game) that to combo any normal save like 2 you NEED to link, that there is no chaining.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Seth Killian drinking himself to death after realizing its impossible to dumb down fighting games enough where people won't complain about having to exert some level of effort into playing them well.

yes, this is exactly what is being posted

Buhbuhj posted:

I don't have to put any effort into splatting nubs in Splatoon. Why should I have to learn how to press buttons in sequence.

this too

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Honestly, Shukaro, if you spent the time it took you to make your 16 posts in this thread in training practicing your character(s) important link(s), you'd probably have several of them down at a solid success rate already.

Or I could just not care about this kinda lovely alpha fighting game instead. Y'know since I was just wondering why "accessible fighter" needed you to mash out/time normal combos instead of having an "accessible" normal combo setup like you would expect.

Spermgod posted:

I know saying a 5 frame window is incredibly easy to hit sounds like myopic fighting game nerds with no sense of perspective talking but it really is incredibly easy. It sounds small but it really is not.

1/12th of a second is in fact small. It really is fighting game nerds.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Let's get this out of the way first: links exist in fighting games as a consequence of moves being designed in parts - startup, active, and recovery frames, plus the number of frames of hitstun they cause. The only ways to remove links from the equation are to make all moves too slow to combo after your fastest recovery move, make all moves recover too slow for your fastest startup move to combo, make hitstun low to nonexistant (this is a common complaint with SSB brawl), or specifically code the game to not allow normals to link when your character returns to a neutral state (NRS does this in MK and Injustice).

The question you really should be asking is why they made links important to optimal combos and/or BnBs in this game. The answer probably is just that they made most/all of the links wide enough (or added a buffer to help hit smaller frame windows of links) that they felt it was justified. It does not take much practice at all to muscle memory a three frame link in a game like SF4, and Rising Thunder apparently has a buffer to provide you an even wider margin of error, so if that is still not enough for you, maybe the genre is just not for you.

If chains are all you have the stomach for in fighters, there are options. You can get by on chains alone in games like MK, Injustice, and even some anime fighters like UNIEL and Skullgirls, but in all cases you will also still have timing windows to hit after the chains (for connecting juggles, for instance).

Read back through the thread at someone's suggestion and this guy did actually answer my question, even though I think it's a really dumb design decision for a game advertized like this one is.

Thanks guy!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

It's not a design choice to have links

the design choice in this case was to make the links really really really easy

actually the design choice was to omit simple normal chaining or some other similar mechanic

e: or maybe they just didn't know they could put something like that in or something I dunno

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

it's not really a design choice to not put something in a game man dude person dog buddy

ya it is, unless they're really stupid or have only ever played street fighter I guess

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Spermgod posted:

ur really loving stupid

nah

AndyElusive posted:

Please consider reading this post by SN64 again.

also nah

NecroMonster posted:

I for one am glad the developers made the design choice to not put resource mining, character advancement, and capture the flag into this fighting game

me too, that would have been even more weird than what they did

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The only way a true fighter can suffer, is by not fighting!
I see a strong will to fight in your eyes! Don't give up yet!"

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

but people that complain about poo poo like not being able to do a combo will just complain about something else once combos are handed to them. these are bads, and they are called bads for a reason. they will always find something to excuse their poor performance. catering to trash tier bads brings poo poo players to the table that wont stick around or ever be worth poo poo.

lol

Zand posted:

it doesn't really matter what they do, anyway, because RT is just a lovely alpha/tech demo of ggpo3 they threw together so they can attract an angel investor, cash out and be done with it.

correct

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want one frame links

one frame links into unblockable option select resets

also those insane anime game inputs

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
http://risingthunder.com/2015/08/11/patch-notes-build-1263/

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Talos' new S1 is insanely good

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Good reasons to keep combos, no good reason to keep them with links instead of dialed in. They set out to make a game where reads and strategy matters more than execution, then removed the execution on most things but kept it on the combos. It's inconsistent and bad.

Yeah this

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also some patch between now and the last time I played completely hosed my framerate. Also my load times.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress this performance is unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I liked the punching robot's voice actor

• Locked thread