Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobnob posted:

The answer, of course, will be autonomous anti-drone drones patrolling your airspace. Firing air-to-air tangle nets, presumably.

I thought electronic/electro-mechanical firing mechanisms for guns were super-duper illegal.

At the moment, no. Otherwise PPC rifles would be illegal as poo poo. The illegal part is using an electric/electronic trigger to simulate full auto. Anything that electronically pulls a mechanical trigger and isn't being used to artificially make it shoot like a machine gun (like that drone) would likely be okay. I wouldn't want that drone to shoot quickly anyway; it was using a Kel-Tec PMR-30, which fires .22 Magnum, and still flew back when it went off. A 9mm or .45 has several times the recoil impulse and the drone would be jumping back a yard or two each time it fired.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I still don't get the whole drone thing to me it's just fancy remote control airplanes with a camera, really don't see the different between them and a RC car.

Regular flying plane-style drones don't get a lot of attention. What do get attention are things like helicopter drones, as they're able to easily carry various loads (from cameras to weapons to dropped items) and are very easy to control, letting them loiter overhead or fit into small spaces easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the most 2015 thing I've ever heard of.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Trump vs. Koch thing had better end in legitimate violence between the two of them. Blood, dammit!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why don't you all make yourselves feel better by calling Donald Trump?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They're insane.

They're all insane.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not really; they're all opportunists, like all politicians. They're playing to different bases.

The only one who is genuine is Trump.

Trump is just the only one who has no filter and didn't prepare a single answer, so he just word vomits everywhere. Meanwhile, Ben Carson says-but-not-out-loud that he'd violate the Geneva Convention.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Following up Walker dodging the racist police question with the Straight Outta Compton trailer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Our Navy is the smallest it's been since 1917!"

Man, we're running low on telegram machines in Washington.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Silver Nitrate posted:

I thought Kasich did alright, what is his deep dark secret?

Mailmen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The BLM movement has successfully brought the racism and police brutality endemic to the United States to mainstream media attention, and we've progressed to the point where legislation is being drafted and passed that is directly related to police abuse because of it. Just because you're not seeing dramatic, sweeping changes within a year doesn't mean that the movement is useless.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Massasoit posted:

If the Oath Keepers shoot anyone in Furgeson... What will happen?

Oath Keepers get shot, probably.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From what I recall of the first Oath Keepers trip, they were actually firmly anti-police and said they would join the protests when they were banned from standing on roofs as armed guards against looting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And with how exponentially fast computing is going, we're at the tip of the world's biggest iceberg with no way of really predicting where we'll be. I honestly would not be surprised at all to see cybernetic augmentations and some form of artificial intelligence before I die. It's possible enough that I've actually given serious thought to how I would classify an AI as a living being because there's a potential that I may have to live with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Armani posted:

Funny thing I heard on these very forums is there are laws being written to compensate for people have full titanium rod inserts in their limbs and how that can affect things like assault charges. I'm actually aware that we drafted laws to that effect for a while (like, centuries) but it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

We already have regulations in sporting (all the way up to the Olympics) determining whether or not artificial limbs are superior in things like running to biological ones. Does it count as being in the future if there are laws and regulations on the books to deal with cyborgs?

Also we have guys like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NOncx2jU0Q

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I will not blow up gravity."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Armani posted:

Am I going to regret asking about this?

Fury Road has a predominately female protagonist cast and literally every woman with lines is strong and defies the villain. It also makes the majority of the plot about Charlize Theron's character, with Max being a drifter who ends up in their group by accident.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress those stilt things in the swamp were christ something about those fuckers just strikes a mortal lizard brain part of me that gets terrified :gonk:

edit: to make this even slightly on topic, has there been any trump as immortan joe pictures yet

It's suggested that they're the people who stayed behind in the Green Place when the soil turned sour.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pohl posted:

I've been saying for awhile that a Republican is probably going to win this election. I don't want that to be true, but this loving country.

Do you have any evidence to back that up at all?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, does putting a lead fishing thing in your mouth make you test positive for lead poisoning?

Lead poisoning is usually diagnosed with a blood test, so any woman who shoved a fishing weight in her kid's mouth for a few hours would just confuse the doctor when she starts suspiciously mentioning lead in every other sentence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Isn't the American Civil War the story of people failing to successfully use the 2nd against the government?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stereotype posted:

Jeb! sounds identical to his brother. He even used the phrase "evildoers."

"Gog and Magog."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stereotype posted:

If you hate political ads, come to Hawaii, national politics essentially doesn't exist in the media here.

Do people in Hawaii and Alaska ever forget that they're actually part of the US?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only good thing about the war turning hot is that we can finally get all the tension over with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In practice, the war going hot would be a massive international crisis and likely responsible for hundreds of thousands or even millions of deaths and the possibility of nuclear weapons being deployed. The human cost would be staggering, likely on a scale not seen in decades. If everything goes well, it won't happen.

But at least it'll get the drat thing over with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Young Freud posted:

The AK in particular is well-known for the "AK-Clack", the sound it makes when it's taken off safety. It's loud enough that U.S. soldiers in Vietnam would be well aware of an ambush when they'd hear the VC taking there guns off safety.

The sound of flipping the safety lever probably wouldn't actually be really audible or recognizable as what it is unless you were in a quiet warzone. But the sound of racking the charging handle is loud as gently caress and quickly rocking and locking a magazine is only a little quieter. It's not surprising at all that an experienced US Marine (especially one with combat experience) would both hear the sound nearby and acknowledge it as a gun being loaded. Most people would pass it off as random mechanical noises and metal slapping together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAKA8WlOLQY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Why do they get so mad about sagging pants of all things?

The usual excuse is that it looks "sloppy" or they bring up the myth that it started in prison as a way to invite buttsex (I think it actually did start in prison, but due to poorly fitting prison clothing rather). The thing is, sagging pants and such are the only things that get outright banned or made illegal to wear. It's semi-transparent structural racism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, it's gotten to the point that whenever I see a sign saying "dress code strictly enforced" I take it to mean "no black people".

I went to a court not far from Atlanta for corporate legal proceedings (long story) and they had signs describing what was banned. Do-rags and sagging pants were the most noticeable, along with t-shirts with any graphics on them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The aforementioned judge at the Georgia courthouse turned out to have been a Florida boy. As soon as the proceedings were done he took off his robe to reveal an Aloha Shirt and khaki shorts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pohl posted:

I did a rotation in small claims court as a mediator.
gently caress what people are wearing, they are petty angry assholes.
You would not believe some of the poo poo I saw.

They don't care about justice, they want loving revenge.
Once the whole story comes out, they are usually wrong, too. But they are mad and someone is gonna pay.
It is ridiculous.

Edit: as a mediator I'm not supposed to take sides, but gently caress.

Enough time has passed, I should probably start a thread about that.

It wasn't small claims court, but the corporate thing I was in Georgia for involved a mediator as well. It was a very Christian small town and we actually got the court clerks and mediator on our side by playing up how we were "just good Christian folks" who didn't understand why a former employee would hurt us so. It helped that said former employee who was filing the suit is a complete nutcase with few redeeming qualities and spent most of the proceedings incredibly rude. I don't think it's possible to ever get a truly unbiased mediator unless both sides are totally equal (usually being equally bad).

In the end, it got tossed out within minutes because she filed pretty much all the paperwork wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

I know this is from far back but I support execution by guillotine for anyone who unironically uses the word "wrongthink."

In general Ken White comes off in the comments below as an incredible prick.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Sounds like it's up to you to disrupt the blogosphere with some new dank memes

Give Ken White a bad review on Yelp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only thing more annoying than claims that a shooting are false flags or blaming it on "libtards" are the people whose knee-jerk response to every murder is to copy and paste the same passive-aggressive "NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO TALK ABOUT GUNS" stuff until they flood the first page of the incident with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Is there an actual argument for why Hand Guns shouldn't be banned? Because they don't really exist for any useful purpose outside of killing other people.

It's actually very common for handguns to be used for hunting, target shooting, and fast-paced shooting competitions like IPSC.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Well, since those things are way more valuable than human lives, I see the strength of the argument.

"Give me one good reason why you should have this thing."

*gives multiple legitimate, non-lethal uses for this thing*

"ARE YOU SAYING HUMAN LIVES ARE WORTHLESS? :stonk:"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

I'm saying handguns should be banned. And all guns too and the Second Amendment should be repealed as well.

Exactly how many countries have legislation banning civilian ownership of all firearms?

I know the answer. I want to see if you know it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spun Dog posted:

Christ, nobody is going to have their guns taken away. We couldn't even get smaller magazines after Sandy Hook.

That's because people realized "Wait, you can reload."

The reason I hate trying to argue gun control is that people who actually have knowledge on the subject of firearms are immediately branded as psychopathic narcissists and ignored whenever they try to explain misconceptions or debunk knee-jerk and emotional arguments. It's the only subject I've seen where it's actually considered normal to decry people for being educated on the technology involved as a bunch of crazy rednecks whose opinions don't count.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

It's because people misunderstand (willfully or not) the actual topic of the debate. Gun control has nothing to do with guns, just like traffic laws have nothing to do with cars. You can be a world renowned expert on traffic patterns and planning and have no idea at all how a car actually works. You can be an expert on gun violence and gun legislation without ever having fired or even seen a gun.

If a traffic engineer started repeatedly using incorrect terminology or politically charged terms that are functionally meaningless (see: assault weapon) in regards to something he was demanding legislation for and basing his planned legislation on misinterpretations of how the technology worked (because he has no interest in said technology and may in fact be scared of it), you'd be questioning whether or not he was sufficiently educated on the subject and probably say that he shouldn't be put in charge of such a thing.

Again, firearms is the only subject I've ever encountered where having experience with the subject at hand is considered a disqualification for being allowed to talk about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mirthless posted:

We didn't have any mass killings with assault weapons when the Brady ban was in place. We have since it was allowed to sunset. By all accounts, increasing proliferation had the same impact on organized crime that decreasing it did, but shootings with legal firearms, by accident and on purpose, have massively increased as our few checks and balances on gun ownership have expired.

You are being willfully, intellectually dishonest if you are seriously suggesting crimes like today couldn't be prevented or diminished through increased gun control legislation. Gun crimes with stolen guns by people who "don't follow the rules" are the rarity these days, compared to accidental shootings, crimes of passion and spree killings. Legally obtained firearms are the problem now. This isn't 1996.

You want to argue second amendment bullshit be my guest, but put the statistics down before your loving hurt yourself. They're not on your side anymore and haven't been for a long time.

The homicide rate in the US has been decreasing consistently since 1993, before the Assault Weapons Ban was put in place. The temporary stop in the decrease was before the ban had its sunset.

If you're going to talk about a subject, it's best to actually have the barest information on what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

If traffic's primary purpose was to kill, sure.

There were over 30,000 fatal vehicle crashes in the US in 2010. By comparison there were 11,000 homicides by gun. Even accounting for suicides, accidents, and police killings doesn't match how many people have been dying in car crashes.

If the goal was to actually reduce deaths, car crashes would take up most of the efforts at legislation. Gun control just gets more popularity because guns scare people and get emotional reactions.

• Locked thread