Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Just out of curiosity: would you be open to the Death Cleric, from the DMG? It's presented as an Evil option, but nothing in there is really inherently Evil, from what I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lieutenant Celio d'Lyrandar, Khoravar Rogue, Airship Sailor of House Lyrandar

quote:

The journal of the fabulous Celio d'Lyrandar, day whatever it is, I'll write it in later, wouldn't want to look absentminded when scholars are studying my memoirs in a hundred years:

The city of Sharn is astonishing, a hive of interlaced spires towering high into the air. The view is even better from the air, of course, and when Lyran's Breath came in a few days ago I got the chance to stand at the prow and watch as we nosed in toward the House's private mooring tower. The perks of rank. Poor baby, the Breath is so old she's practically decrepit, so she's been reduced to a skeleton crew while we await a few repair parts from Stormhome. Captain Mezzaro's staying aboard, of course; he's the very soul of duty, and Lieutenant Atara and I played dice for the chance to get shore leave. I won, of course, and I didn't even have to cheat this time. I have to remember I promised to pick her up something nice from the markets to make up for it.

Who cares about all of that, though: for the next few weeks, I'm at liberty in Sharn, and from what I've heard, their gambling dens, taverns, and brothels are some of the best in the world. I've got more money than I know what to do with, and more nights to spend it in than I could ever use.

Taking this assignment as Ship's Mate on the Breath was the best thing I could have done. To be honest, Stormhome was getting a little stifling, and at any rate, I've always wanted to see the world. Especially the parts of the world with actual civilization and pretty men and women. I'm almost starting to think following in His Lord Admiral Fathership's footsteps wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't want his stuffy desk job, of course, but I can see the appeal of captaining my own airship. If I keep doing an excellent job for Captain Mezzaro, he's bound to put in a good word for me.

Is that music? It sounds like music. All the taverns in this part of town are starchy and upper-class, but I guess I can start there and work my way down. Wish me luck.

--Celio d'Lyrandar

quote:

Memo:

If that Lyrandar dandy gets brought in for public intoxication one more time, throw him in the cells, and be damned who his family is. I'll deal with the smarmy cloud-peddlers myself.

--the Captain of the Guard

quote:

Son:

I have heard that you have been... enjoying yourself in Sharn. Better there than here, I suppose, and I sincerely hope you get it out of your system now. You have bigger responsibilities, and you had best start to live up to them soon. I will not stand for you ending up a useless ingrate, spending my money to maintain a frivolous lifestyle while contributing nothing to the House.

Incidentally, I am enclosing a report for the administrator of the Sharn chapter of Lyran's Gift. It is quite secret, so I would appreciate if you did not speak openly about it. The research they do is clandestine in nature, involving sentient subjects, and some would find it less than palatable. However, it could be the key to expanding our monopoly over transportation and putting Orien in its place. You will find the facility in the Lower City. I understand the location makes it easier to obtain subjects.

I am dispatching this letter with the first batch of repair supplies for the Lyran's Breath. Please give my regards to Captain Mezzaro.

Yours,
Admiral Fellor d'Lyrandar

Celio was designed by fate to be the family's golden boy: attractive, athletic, destined for success. He has spent most of his life trying desperately, and with some success, to fight this fate.

His younger days were pretty archetypical: demanding father, dull schooling, exciting nights out with the Wrong Sort of Friends, dalliances with the Wrong Sort of Woman, and on more than one occasion, the Wrong Sort of Man. A distinct air of scandal began to grow up around the dashing and undeniably handsome young man, until his father, quite sick of it all, got him assigned as a lieutenant on a complete junk-heap of an airship: the Lyran's Breath, designated as a sort of dumping-ground for Lyrandar's misfits.

Oddly enough, this has proven a good career move for Celio. Shipboard discipline is good for him, and he gets to see the world, especially the excitingly seedy bits of it. He's avoided having sex with ANY of his crewmates, including the lovely but intimidating Lieutenant Atara and the extremely sultry Midshipman Lewes, whom he's quite certain is asking for it. This, given his history, is quite a big step up. As long as he doesn't screw it up in Sharn. Which he probably will.

pre:
Class: Rogue
Level: 2
XP: 550

HP: 17
AC: 15
AP: 4/5
Init: +4
Proficiency: +2 (Expertise +4)

Alignment: Neutral
Background: (Sky) Sailor
Languages: Common, Elven, Thieves' Cant, Dwarven
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

STR:  8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 16 (+3)

Personality:
Traits: I try to make sure I do everything with style. It's just a bonus if it happens to be fun.
Ideals: I work hard and play hard. When I'm on the job, I do it right, but that doesn't stop me from seeing what the world has to offer.
Bonds: My father thinks I'm a disappointment, and despite everything, I can't help wanting to prove him wrong.
Flaws: Just because I'm rich doesn't mean I'm a cocky playboy. I'm a cocky playboy because I want to be, drat it.

Features:
Fey Ancestry
  - Immunity to sleep effects, advantage vs. charm effects
Darkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: +1d6
(Air)Ship's Passage
Expertise: Persuasion, Stealth
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Storm
Position of Privilege
Cunning Action
  - Can Dash, Disengage, or Hide as Bonus Action

Proficiencies:
Simple weapons, hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, shortsword
Light armor
Thieves' tools, Navigator's tools, Airships
Acrobatics (+5), Athletics (+1), Deception (+5), Investigation (+3),  
Perception (+2), Performance (+5), *Persuasion (+7), *Stealth (+7)

Equipment:
Studded leather armor (12+3 AC)
Rapier
Hand Crossbow
3x throwing dagger
Outfit of fine noble clothing
Diplomat's pack
Spyglass
Shoalsense Earring
  - Wrought by the artificers of Lyran's Eye, this earring tingles to alert the wearer of danger
  he is only subconsciously aware of, augmenting his reaction time. +1 Initiative.

Spells:
Fog Cloud (1/day): Create a sphere of fog that grants concealment
Feather Fall (1/day): Fall slowly.
Note that I've swapped out Shocking Grasp for Feather Fall in the Mark of Storms, keeping within the air-lightning-cloud theme of the Mark. (But since Shocking Grasp is a cantrip and Feather Fall is level 1, this version of Feather Fall applies only to the caster, making it a one-shot magic parachute for the upper-class snobs of the world.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 20, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Celio looks good too; being chock full of smarm (if not charm) will likely serve him well. The Shoalsense Earring is perfectly suited for him, and is exactly the sort of minor magical doohickey I had in mind. However, +2 to Initiative is just a bit too powerful; please make it +1 instead.
A couple further requests: can you also add Personality Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw details? They may be dead obvious from what you've written, but having them listed on the character sheet makes it easier for me. Also, check your ability scores: if I'm doing my math right, 15,14,13,12,10,8 for a half-elf should go to something like 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8.

Sure thing, I only used +2 because that was the effect listed in the Minor Effects Table in the DMG, but +1 is perfectly acceptable. Personality traits are on the linked PDF sheet (which is my original) but I'll copy 'em over to the post, too. And you're right, I must've misjudged one of my +1s; fixed.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Incidentally, have you read OKShark's Eberron fanfiction? I'm working my way through it right now, and I quite like it -- the swashbuckler seems like it could provide some inspiration for you, even if he's not the main character.

I hadn't before, but I have now! That's pretty much what I was thinking, right down to the job-- sort of a cross between assistant helmsman and head of security, when security is necessary on a rustbucket like Lyran's Breath.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 13, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

As mentioned in the last post, there is currently no front-line damage-sponge in the party, so those who are still looking to submit a character may want to take this into consideration.

Also, some other bookkeeping: Quorum, I think Celio has 1 HP too many (base 8 + 2 for Con, yes?); Quadratic_Wizard, I think Cain has 1 HP too few (base 6 + 2 for Con + 1 for Draconic Heritage, yes?). Speaking of Cain, which flavor of Dragon is he descended from? Based on his current fire-focused spell selection, I'm assuming it's either Brass, Gold, or Red?

D'oh. I used to have Charisma and Constitution swapped, but neglected to adjust HP when I switched them to their current arrangement.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Waador posted:

It will likely be wise to have some sort of IRC channel to coordinate the complexities of a 10-man party.

Seconded, I know one of the problems I often have with PBP is the lack of a metachannel to discuss fine details, small questions, and generally communicate amongst ourselves without clogging up the actual play thread.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

This works. Thanks for setting it up! But what I want to know is: which one of you is Leeroy Jenkins?

Given our characters... probably me. :negative:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

djw175 posted:

Eastern USA (Currently UTC-4 but UTC-5 when the winter comes)

Eastern time is best time.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

djw175 posted:

So I think what we've learned is that Elven is not the language to speak when you're trying to hide information from this party.

Oh, Celio has no idea what languages everyone speaks! Elven is just the language he and Bastion use when they're just talking to each other.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Athletics is STR, Acrobatics is DEX, but they're often somewhat interchangeable depending on the DM.

It's like... Athletics is pushups and pullups, Acrobatics is backflips.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Pfffhahaha "mobbed by angry poors." Truly the worst fate. :capitalism:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Perception: 1d20+2 14
Insight: 1d20 10

FYI, if that Perception is a failure I'll probably burn an Action Point on it. It's just too close, darn it!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

It's less "failure" and more "beating higher DCs gets you more information". So it's up to you.

I'll go ahead and use an Action Point on that Perception roll.

Action Point to Perception: 14+1d6 19

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Is the package the changeling stole clearly evident on his person? If not, is it apparent where he put it? And in any case, how much effort would it require to swipe it and run like hell away from the horrible panther monster?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Did away with the pointless attack; instead I'm just using my action to Hide (and moving).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Wisdom: 1d20+1 12. And it fails its save against the newcomer's casting of Tasha's Hideous Laughter as well!
It can't decide whether to laugh or groan at such claw-ful puns, but either way it is incapacitated and prone and its movement is 0, so its Displacement effect is also suppressed for as long as the spell lasts.

Point of order-- if the creature is Prone, then melee-range attacks against it are at Advantage, which does grant Sneak Attack, correct? Incapacitated doesn't need to grant it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

djw175 posted:

So, my posting might get spotty soon considering there's a hurricane on its way to where I live.

Likewise. Fortunately the current predicted track doesn't involve a head-on collision, but at this point, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Which Beast are folks attacking? I assume Elizara is Viciously Mocking the one atop the train carriage to the southeast, unless I misread and she's actually going for one of the ones harassing the poors?

• Locked thread