Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845233

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

add this to OP

done

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Mad Max looks legit good but I won't be playing it till next year after I'm done with TPP.

croutonZA posted:

Absolutely no horse poop in the OP, which is a feature of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN. Please rectify this ASAP ta.

fixed

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

beedeebee posted:

Why didn't you use the Metal Gear thread tag?

There isn't one in the post options. Maybe it's mod only or something.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MCV interviewed a Konami exec. Choice quotes:

MCV posted:

“The PC version is stunning,” Edwards says. “We are so pleased to be able to release it alongside the console games, and that Kojima Productions has worked so hard to make it such a strong version. Like Ground Zeroes, the graphics are stunning in the new 4K mode, while the scale and online elements within the game are a perfect fit for the format. Metal Gear Solid V is such an entertaining game, we always wanted it to play the strengths of its host format, and the PC edition certainly does that. It is a stunning conversion.”

MCV posted:

Some doubts linger over what comes next for Metal Gear. Creator Kojima says this game will close the loop on the 27-year ‘Solid’ franchise, and it’s unclear whether he’ll work on another game. “Metal Gear Solid is a key Konami franchise,” Edwards says. “The company has already committed to future iterations, which we look forward to.”

MCV posted:

Metal Gear Solid V features microtransactions, which will be good news to retailers looking to sell digital currency. But in the past, consumers have been vocal about their dislike for microtransactions appearing in premium games.
“They are a minimal part of the game, and merely a short cut,” Konami marketing exec Jon Edwards says.
“The player recruits R&D people to create weaponry and expand their base. While the entire game can be played without using them, microtransactions are available to speed up the development process. They also come into play with the FOB (Forward Operating Bases) element, when players set up additional Mother Base outposts.
Players can insure their base against attack in the multiplayer mode. Kojima Productions has merely added them as shortcuts, but have always stressed that the game can be completed without any cost to the player.”

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

A single save-file confirmed, what you unlock are harder versions of missions.

So the difficulty modifiers are preset for each mission?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPn6b_Bswi4

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Where can I read details about the online components of Phantom Pain?

There's very few details when it comes to MGO. One thing is that it's 8v8 on current-gen and 6v6 on 360/PS3. There's also this trailer with commentary detailing some mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTNESMVZD-U

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was looking for details about Phantom Pain's online stuff specifically. Like I guess there's the whole FOB PvP thing but I was hoping there was an in depth preview somewhere. Also I'm wondering if there's anything else you can do online.

Watch this from 14:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGuvRIIx8c

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MGS Facebook page posted:

Notice to all customers purchasing the PS4 Collector's Edition of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain:
Please be aware, the PS4 Collector's Edition of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain code for DLC was not included within the physical package during manufacturing. This issue does not affect the Day One Edition product or any other platforms. All customers who purchase the PS4 Collector's Edition through the following retailers will automatically receive the DLC codes at the time of purchase on receipt or via email: Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, EB Games, Game Planet.
For all other customers, voucher codes may be obtained by contacting KONAMI customer support (for North and South America) at https://konami.parature.com/ics/support/ticketnewwizard.asp with proof of purchase.
For Europe support, contact: https://www.games.konami-europe.com/
For Asia (outside Japan) support, contact: http://www.konami-asia.com/support/contactus.php?lang=en

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

IBTimes posted:

Kojima doesn't seem to have grasped the nuance of anything he's ever seen or read, just the characters' names and a few of the cool action bits. So when Snake and Otacon go back and forth on the question of individuality versus conformity, or discuss society's susceptibility to received information, it's all shoehorned in, cribbed from some book and dropped wholesale into a monologue. It's obvious. It's bland. It's brute force philosophising over sophomoric questions. And it comes from a guy who posts on Twitter about how his eggs benedict look like boobies.

And he compares Kojima to Wiseau.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Also it turns out there's no NZ time for PC download after all:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

JonTerp posted:

It's so obvious Konami is just burning down and can barely keep it together to launch this game.

Yeah, I really doubt there will ever be another MGS game after TPP. They even teased MGR2 last year and then said they were only celebrating the second anniversary of the first game. The rot must've setting in for quite some time.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

JonTerp posted:

Another fun fact, there are like 15 people playing it on Steam now :V

There have been for like a month or so. Either they're testing it or the PC reviewers are preparing their articles.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Deakul posted:

Can anyone with the game already confirm or deny whether or not there's interiors at all?

One interior is shown like 5 minutes into that MB gameplay trailer.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

redreader posted:

Please update the OP to have that image of 'stuff that carries over from GZ' because I can't find it and it's not in the OP. Doing my final 'make sure you've done everything' GZ run now and I know I have some prisoners to extract in some missions but not really sure who/what.

5 second gis search:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

HnK416 posted:

Naked camo is a step closer but it still has pants. For this to be optimal there needs to not be pants.

Don't judge me :gay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr98JXNalwI

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Good, non-clickbait article on MGS3. I'm digging these eurogamer MGS pieces, Stanton seems to know his poo poo.

Rich Stanton posted:

But sheer quality is only one part of why Snake Eater is special. Its theme is oft-written as the godawful 'scene,' for no other reason than that it rhymes with gene (the first Metal Gear Solid) and meme (Sons of Liberty). This is a pity because it obscures that in Snake Eater Kojima finally found a human angle for his big ideas. We can all understand genes, and the theory of memes, but it's not so easy to relate to these concepts. But the idea of circumstances forcing your hand, which is what Snake Eater boils down to, is something everyone understands.

Rich Stanton posted:

Every Metal Gear character is being manipulated by bigger forces, but Snake Eater's backdrop is somehow the most inhuman of all. The Boss is a hero of WWII, when the Americans and Russians fought together, and now she is crushed between them in the Cold War to save face for Khrushchev. She sacrificed everything for America, and America sacrificed her anyway.

And Snake? Now we know he's Big Boss, and why he's called that, and why he hates it. Don't be fooled by the period setting or the spy trappings. No matter how much the player hesitates, eventually that final shot will hit home. The greater good wins out, the Boss dies, and a terrorist is born. Boom.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Guys what's your earliest Metal Gear Solid memory?

I was 13 in 1998. Still had Amiga 500 back then, was few months from getting my first PC. Saw MGS1 at friends place. It was an experience: cutscenes with full voice acting, intense but cold synth soundtrack. I really dug the spy film vibe, dark visuals, twists in the plot. I remember getting stuck at the first Sniper Wolf fight because people in the codec are like "save Meryl" and I wasn't able to hit Wolf with any of my weapons. My friend said there was a sniper rifle in the storage area and I was like "but this game doesn't expect me to go all the way back there, right?". It surely did.

Then played (and beat) MGS2 on PC. It was really fun, Raiden was a dork, but the ending sucked big time. Like the game stopped and one point and there were just cutscenes with a brief pause for the Solidus boss fight. Never had a PS2 so I played Snake Eater only few years ago when I bought a cheap PS3. Got it just for the MGS remasters and Red Dead Redemption.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Antti posted:

People have talked about killing people lowering your Heroism rating. What does Heroism rating do in the game?

IIRC higher heroism in PW meant more and better volunteers wanting to join you.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Machinegunboyo posted:

Does anyone know what version of the man who sold the world is in the game? I really like it but can't seem to find it

This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLoytewvn0gc

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Updated the OP with the GZ transfer thing. We're like 24 hours from playing this, people.

Or 45 if the Steam counter is to be believed :negative:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Non-spoiler impressions are cool and people who already got this game should post them here. It would hopefully save this thread from more lovely derails.

It shows 1 day and 21 hours for me. Hope it's wrong.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 30, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Play Mad Max because it looks fun, and unlocks on Steam at Midnight 31st. That's my plan, anyway. Alternatively; watch a couple of really good and dumb movies. Like all the Marvel films.

Watched Fury Road today, What A Movie. Kojima said in an interview that Snake is rarely speaking in 5 because he wanted a protagonist like Max Rockatansky.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

iGestalt posted:

That rules. Fury Road is one of my all time favourite movies - it was utterly superb. Glad to see Kojima is taking neat stuff from movies.

Taking neat stuff from movies is basically his whole MO.

Steve2911 posted:

And it's cheaper.

Snake basically repeated phrases in the previous games so I don't mind that much.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

One thing you can listen to (or read subtitles) while waiting for TPP is the audio drama which for some reason appeared only in the Japanese version of GZ. It details the first meeting between BB and Miller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3aoc9n3F6g

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Should be a note in the OP since it's not in everyone's heads but nobody reads the OPs or listen to the game when it warns you to:
- Remember to not quit the game or turn off the PS4 while a save is being written, corrupt saves have already been confirmed happening this way

Added.

Funky Valentine posted:

Do we have a full list of all the distilled 80s songs we can collect?

Not the full list but songs confirmed so far:
A-ha "Take On Me"
Asia "Only Time Will Tell"
Midge Ure "The Man Who Sold the World"
Europe "The Final Countdown"
Hall & Oates "Maneater"
Joy Division "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
Kim Wilde "Kids in America"
Spandau Ballet "True"

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Slate Action posted:

Can't wait until we can import our own custom playlists. It isn't truly Tactical Espionage Action in the 80s until I can wear my sunglasses at night

Here's a better version

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Amazing Member posted:

So can we not use a VPN service to get this a little bit early or is the Release worldwide set to 12am 9/1 EST?

no need:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Nvidia is putting up a video tweaking guide for TPP tomorrow. I'll update the OP when it's out.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Konami just put up the game manual. It explains stuff like the little icons on the idroid map and all the controls, even has a bit on MGO.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 31, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Is Countory the name of a new boss or something?

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's where transfarring comes from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxF-frPaxs

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Blister posted:

Remember when gamespot posted that weeks ago and got called names by this thread for it, fun times

tbf the gamespot article said that the online is locked behind a paywall, this isn't exactly true.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The manual explained music import

"" posted:

Various music recordings that can also be set as your helicopter's arrival music.
It is also possible to use MP3 files placed in the "CustomSoundtrack" folder withing the game's installation directory.
* Files must be located less than 2 directories deep under the "CustomSoundtrack" directory.
* The maximum is 100 songs.
* Please do not delete or move songs while playing the game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lovely Wizard posted:

Literally all your posts in this thread are you getting mad about people getting mad about microtransactions or bitching about people not wanting to get spoiled. Either you're a troll, a shill, or a retard. Or all three.

Eonwe is a cool person who trolls Space Citizen constantly.

obligatory page snipe vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlRErLFIOhQ

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I can't wait to play this good and fun video game

Same. Only 11 hours to go.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

stupid spoiler poo poo

Yes it's a big one but why are you posting spoilers in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

a7m2 posted:

I beat MGS3 and watched Portable Ops and Peace Walker videos in preparation for this game. I'm playing Ground Zero this evening. Is that fine to play MGS5 or should I play/watch MGS1, 2 and 4?

As mentioned in the OP, you're good. Enjoy TPP and watch the rest later.

• Locked thread