Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

Do i get extra AI points for chopping of the roof of a PT cruiser today?

Was fun being on the training grounds working on MVA drills again. bonus points for making our probies sitt in the vehicle while we extract them and roll the roof.

Why would you try to save anyone in a PT Cruiser? It's called triage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Guys the Mad Max video game was released today.

It's good so far. I lost track of time and forgot to go to work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I didn't realize Metal Gear Solid was coming out this week, so I'll get to it when I'm done Mad Max.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

New Mad Max game confirmed awesome as gently caress. Really don't see why there were 4 other options you could pick when choosing a body for your car because this one is :perfect:

Game also has a built in capture mode that pauses the action, removes the HUD, and gives you free cam with lots of options. More games need this feature :h:

You picked the wrong body style but that's okay too. I just picked up the body style and haven't gotten a chance to play past there. I am pretty excited about survivin'.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Does the game lend itself to a wheel or is it heavier on story than driving?

It's basically Grand Theft Auto with really weird on-foot controls. I don't think a wheel will be useful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Sometimes I want a Honda Element.

This is frequently my problem.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Do it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

What the gently caress are fully dressed chips? Do they have little tuxedos on them?

In Canada, we have special chip flavours such as all-dressed and ketchup.

Mr. Crag has presumably accidentally wandered across the border or into one of our sleeper cells.

http://whatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com/post/103153965644/all-dressed-chips

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

freelop posted:

I'm still on the sideline for the Mad Max game having shelled out for MGS V and I doubt I'll be playing anything else anytime soon (I'll never get tired of extracting things via the balloon) but I've been told it's being sold cheap here as part of a paypal deal

I put Mad Max aside for now because holy poo poo Fultoning things will never get old.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

Don't feel bad, I once ordered the wrong engine for a warranty replacement and management was none to happy with me :v:

We eat our mistakes here, monsieur leica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTygajaWaR0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

I'd eat an LSx or maybe a K series, no way in hell I'm eating a Renesis :colbert:

It's already in convenient Dorito form.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Tell me more about this Dr. Colorchip. Is it easy to use? And how expensive is it? Her car has acquired quite a few scratches.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

There are also some chains that specialize in small paint repair, such as Micropaint.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Most of the places I've come across are eerily quiet now. You know what I'd love? Canadian seat belts. Especially since the drivers one gets stuck halfway on the track.

poo poo, I wish you had told me last weekend. There was a nice BF 323 in the local yard that we walked by while pulling seatbelts for a different car.

After 50% off day it will probably be picked clean even though it's about to get snowed on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've noticed AI tends to not like Nissan 350z/370z's. Why is that?

I think they're neat :ohdear:

They are not really good-looking, they are not really durable, and much faster cars exist for the same or less money.

Also a lot of people who drive them suck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

My most AI experience lately was being given a free petrol mower. My first foray into small IC engines, a 500 series briggs and stratton that surges like crazy.

Even after all these years, I still love tearing into a small engine. They just make me so happy in a way that I can't possibly imagine a passenger car engine making me.

Too bad it's a four-stroke or you could get really crazy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I like Collateral, I've seen it four or five times now including twice in the theater when it first came out. It absolutely has its moments, but its greatest strength is that it's not too ambitious for its characters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's why it's Disaster Recovery, not Everything's Fine Do Nothing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

keykey posted:

That reminds me, apparently buying whole villages in Spain on the cheap is now a thing since 300+ have been abandoned.

Italy too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like the Mad Max game was originally designed as a survival game and gradually transitioned to a vehicular combat game over what must have been a brutal series of publisher interventions.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Our combined coolant/oil leaks have synced up? HOORAY!

My coolant and oil leaks take place in the combustion chamber. :smug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Ya know, when I was in high school "chode" referred to a dick that was at least as wide as it was long. Now it's AKA the taint? What has the world come to?

As far as I know, chode has always referred to the taintal area, and I've been out of high school a really long time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Can't drive in a pool.

Also, 2300 square feet. Ouch.

That's just 2" of base. Came out to 35 tons. It's getting 1.5" of top in the spring.

When is the inaugural burnout mark?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Too soft. That'd be an inaugural trench.

Can we come by and spraypaint our logos on the finished driveway like at the Nurburgring?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow guys, I live in Canada. :canada:

We don't have enough doctors because our licensing is really strict so there are a bunch of guys who come from India and are like "well let me work on people" but we don't, at least not until they update their credentials. You have to wait a long time to get a family doctor (what the Brits call a "GP") and once they retire or die you have to wait again.

Emergency room lines are very long sometimes. I have waited a few hours to be seen for non-life-threatening emergencies while constantly being bumped to the back of the line while people with life threatening emergencies come in and are seen immediately. This irritates some people, especially parents of small children, who assume that a kid who feels bad and is sick is a life-threatening emergency. Occasionally this fucks up sometimes and the person handling triage doesn't process a person thoroughly enough to determine that something is life-threatening; people have died because they complained about a stomach ache that was actually substantial internal bleeding. I assume this happens everywhere and won't get fixed until we get handheld Tricorders, which we should immediately start work on.

Throughout my childhood, youth and early adulthood, right wingers were constantly trying to either demolish/defund the public system or go to a two-tiered system where private health care firms would poach all the best doctors away from the public system. There's been an odd pause on this rhetoric for awhile, possibly because we watch a lot of American media and the Obamacare transition has made Canadians aware of what alternatives look like.

In my province we used to have a flat tax health care contribution levy ($528/yr individuals, $1056/yr families), but we got rid of it in 2009 because employers had grandfathered HR policies forcing them to cover it, and we always do what is best for our employers.

Then this year, the Tories here threatened to put it back in because had to Get Serious About Bad Oil Prices (along with a series of other new taxes and user fees, some of which have stuck) so we turfed them for the first provincial government change in 44 years.

Our new guys are a populist-centre-left party that is turning up accounting nightmare after accounting nightmare and failed privatization project after failed privatization project while at the same time trying to produce a budget that works in view of the oil prices. Sadly because of the nature of Canadian government almost none of our thief politicians see prison or the rope, and go to rejoin the single-geared right-wing think tanks they were spawned in (regardless of what party they served in).

There are some services that are vastly oversubscribed (the Tories kept promising and cancelling the promise of a new cancer centre when they needed votes, it is now actually going in) and other services that are poorly administered (small town doctors are hard to find so we keep trying to import them from abroad and covering part of the bill to bring them up to Canadian spec, but they just move to a big city as soon as they can).

Overall I think it is an OK system, but I know that the Swedes and probably other Scandinavian countries have much better management of things like mental health, addictions, family counselling, elder care and other "soft" medical things that help make your society more harmonious. Those kind of conversations aren't even on the table in modern Canada because we just look at the price tag instead of fixing our earning potential.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 12, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah you should take the cat to a vet and see if it boops out to be someone else's cat.

If not, I would say if you're paying for vaccines and food and stuff, it's "your" cat, as much as can be said about cats..

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Fulvia V4 is a mind boggler to comprehend, and it managed to do a V4 with only one head casting. How, you ask? It only has two cams. How, you ask? Each cam has a "reach around" to the other bank's intake or exhaust valves with a giant rocker.

Pop some Advil and take a look: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cohort-classic-lancia-fulvia-last-chance-to-try-something-really-new/

GAZE UPON YOUR RUINED WORLD

Aren't there still a lot of V4 bikes out there, or have they pretty much all been replaced by big-titty V-twins and thumpers?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 12, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I bet all those people loooooove Tom Brady.

I heard Tom Brady had a Jetta once but he got rid of it because the TPMS light wouldn't stop coming on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Really, anything having to do with the cost of weddings boggles my drat mind.
:goonsay:

We did ours staggeringly cheap. Keeping the guest list small is the first and most important step.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How over-underengineered was the stock VW setup that fully adjustable heim joints and machined rods is a simplification?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Super kickass news.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I also forgot, we can't take the Taurus to any automatic wash places because the lovely plastic roof rails that hide welding points gets blown off.

I don't think I've ever escaped an automatic wash (even the "touch free" ones) without some damage to my car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

With her dad dying she's not wanting to deal with stress right now. Kind of frustrating because any job is going to be stressful with a dying parent in the mix.

See if she can go on a sabbatical or stress leave.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
#newenglandai is where it's at, IMO.

quote:

14:05 <@NoiseLaptop> power steering went quiet in the bronco
14:05 <@NoiseLaptop> it took two quarts lol
14:05 <@NoiseLaptop> now its back to howling away
14:06 <@ssswitch> yeah i was getting worried for a second there
14:06 <@ssswitch> a ford with a quiet power steering system?
14:06 <@ssswitch> stephen king steps out of the bushes.
14:06 <@ssswitch> "yes indeed," he says, "welcome to new england."
14:06 <@ssswitch> i claw at his face in terror, drawing blood and digging down to the
skull
14:07 <@ssswitch> "BRING ME BACK MY SCREAMING POWER STEERING PUMP," I yell into his
dissolving body

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

How much poo poo would you catch for a car that was completely neutered and absolutely, cheat-free, emissions compliant like the EPA want - but an OBD plugin would give you full power, and while that's totally naughty and not what you should be doing, ok, it was guaranteed that there would be zero warranty shenanigans if anyone chose to use it?

Individuals using it would be prosecuted under federal law, probably individually by the EPA, if it was blatant enough to be widespread.

It would also bring down a heinous, perhaps permanent regime of making engine modifications illegal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

LoseThos

LoseThos is TempleOS now. http://motherboard.vice.com/read/gods-lonely-programmer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

IT chat is politics chat. Here, let me prove it.

VI or EMACS. GO!
vi. People who use emacs are assholes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm going to have a look at and probably buy a 1999 Mazda e2200 LWB van this weekend to convert into a cheap camper that I'm going to live in for a few months while I travel Europe. It's an ugly bastard of a van but at least that way no-one will want to steal it!
I'll probably make some kind of project thread while I'm converting it I guess??

Do exactly that. I love the B2200, it's time to see what its non-American non-union van counterpart is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
CIS-E scum can also die.

And do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 INCH DICK posted:

Tell that poo poo to Kugelfischer :colbert:

And the VW diesel engineering division.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Cray has been doing wierdo furniture/art computers for as long as they've been around. For example, the Cray-1 and XMP was built with a couch attached to the side of each half-tower, the Cray-2 had plexi sides and illumination so you could see the memory boards, the Cray-3 got a plexi, liquid-filled box on the top...the YMP8 got more couches. They had a few "boring" systems, especially during the SG era, but they're their own company again and getting back into the display stuff.

The Connection Machines also had what I would say is a pretty kickass aesthetic sense.

Yeah bitch you get pulled on by an Arduino, don't step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I smell Mk2 GTI thread cooking, where is it?

Haha holy poo poo did they really cite the fyad makes you schizo catchphrase?

I heard that visiting SA for a long period of time can make you open palm slam a Riddick VHS tape as well.

• Locked thread