Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Uhaul is funny - they won't let me choose any package. I guess the mid-90's Ford Explorer's reputation for sitting on all four wheels falling over lives on.

Yet you can choose the mercury equivalent that's mechanically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Pics or it didn't happen.

http://www.waff.com/story/29869389/alea-to-begin-closing-drivers-license-offices-4-to-remain-open

I hope this isn't real.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Computer bitching: I got sick of Windows 10, and chose the "Downgrade back to Windows 8.1" option. Well, it downgraded fine. It boots fine, but Explorer.exe (the desktop) never loads. I even tried launching it from task manager, tried opening a cmd.exe windows and launching it from there, tried safe mode.. nothing. No desktop ever comes up.

Thankfully my desktop runs the same version (8.1 Pro w/Media Center), so I made a USB recovery drive from that. Figured I'd be able to use startup repair, but it didn't do poo poo. And it looks like Windows 10 removed all of the system restore images. :argh: So it looks like I get to play some command prompt shenanigans and see how much more I can break it. At this point, worst case, I reinstall on top of the existing OS and do it as an "upgrade".

Sounds like you're better off doing a clean install if you can.

I get to install Windows 10 at work today. Nothing is tested yet in Windows 10. I expect a lot of things to be broken.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What game is that?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It'll still be a fine phone for another year or two. Google is giving 6.0 to the nexus 4 so you should still get updates for awhile. I MO it's too big. I don't think there are any car mounts that out fits in and I don't think it'll be too comfortable for it to sit in my pocket while sitting.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

jamal posted:

Hey, phone chat. Is there something like the new moto g that will work on verizon? Looking to spend like $200. So far the best I can come up with is a used 2nd gen moto x. Was happy with my 1st gen x until I broke it.

2nd Gen moto g?

You might be able to snag LG g2 or g3 in that price point. I think they're both relatively close to stock Android. If you're comfortable doing it, I think htc m8s are cheap and you can convert it to stock Android. Not exactly for the faint of heart though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Getting used to a phablet takes some time but I don't know if I could go back to a smaller phone. It's really nice.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yesterday my girlfriend was helping someone clean out their car. They put a crate onto the trunk and instead of picking it up, they slid it off. It did the following:

I know the picture is kind of lovely but does anyone have any idea of what that would cost to fix? The scratches are down to the primer. The width of all of the scratches is about half of a foot, maybe a little more.

In other automotive news, I finally replaced the hood rod prop in the Miata. I'm hoping to do spark plugs, spark plug wires, and an oil change tomorrrow. This is the my first time doing any of those so I hope I don't gently caress up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Doesn't seem like it's a good idea to fix a phone that you know you're going to replace.

How long until you think you can get the funds for a N6? It looks like they're clearing stock quickly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

What kind of car? If it's a common car and a common color, just getting a junkyard trunk lid might be cheaper than trying to have it refinished. If it's down to primer there's not much you can do but that.

2014 Toyota Corolla and what seems like the most common color. No idea how many junkyard lids are out there yet.

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, no real repair short of a respray, but the scratches would mostly come out. I'd probably use Dr. Colorchip and it'd be almost unnoticeable after a few applications build up.

Tell me more about this Dr. Colorchip. Is it easy to use? And how expensive is it? Her car has acquired quite a few scratches.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
IIRC there's no standard for 4g so hspa+ and Lte can both be considered 4g.

Theoretically, hpspa+ can be just as fast.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I did my first oil change yesterday.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAR9mBFN4c

I know this video is a few weeks old but holy poo poo this is awesome.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Can't wait for my new phone to show up. This phone did somewhat redeem its shittiness a little though - the battery was only down to 28% when I left work, after using Google Maps all day. Nearly 3 hours of screen-on time, that's pretty impressive (then again, I guess it doesn't take much to power a 3.5" LCD). The N5 would have been recharged at least once and already almost dead again after that much use. I left work an hour and a half ago, and made a few calls since then, and it's only down to 25% now. It has an adorable little 1500 mAh battery in it...

Do you not have a car charger? I like to keep a power bank like this on hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...nker+power+bank

They've saved my rear end a few times before.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
He's talking about Jurassic Bark, an episode of Futurama:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Bark

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

I've just discovered there's an English-speaking courier company in Spain, just about 10 minutes from where my mum and dad have a flat.

I think i'll be making a phonecall tomorrow..

What part of Spain? You might even get away without learning Spanish!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Costa Del Crime Sol, Arroyo De La Miel, Benalmadena. About half way between Malaga and Marbella.

I'm happy to learn Spainish. I just want a change of scenery and to get away from everything here. Also, if this is the same kinda deal as what i have now i could legit move there imminently, as it's EU and i have everything in place already. Just chuck my poo poo in the van, hook up the car and leave.

I forgot to add a :smug: to that. Spanish is a wonderful language. Just remember Spain has four official languages and it gets a bit hairy. I think they speak Castilian (Spanish) there though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks for indulging my sports car chat earlier, but priorities have shifted and it looks like we're spending that money on a travel trailer instead.

The wife has provisionally agreed to getting rid of my forester and getting a newer vehicle. Not new, but newer. Budget is $20-25k. The trailer we looked at actually seems really nice for the price, so if it tows properly on the road tomorrow we're getting it. We'll be getting a mid sized SUV to pull the trailer and also for running around. The trailer is listed at 4100ish pounds. So I'll need something that can pull that. For non-huge SUV's that limits options somewhat. I've been poking around and found that the Pilot and Highlander both rate up to 4500#, but then I saw that the VW Touareg is rated up to 7700#, which is a nice margin. I can also get a 2008ish VW for the $20-25k mark. How have they held up? My personal preference would be a MDX or Highlander but if the VW isn't garbage it would be awesome to have that extra tow capability. My wife's only stipulations are that she wants something "nice" with heated seats and navigation.

For what it's worth, my family has had a 2006 Honda Pilot since new and it has been rock solid. I have not tried to tow anything though. Haven't really had to replace anything besides the normal wear and tear items.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, apparently it's also quite similar to French, which i also don't speak. (Well, a little.)

I'll just do what all English people do, speak English very loudly and slowly with a foreign accent. That's pretty much speaking Spanish. :colbert:

They must speak Catalan there then. It's a blend of Spanish and French.

Speaking English slowly and loudly works better than you expect. If they don't understand, just repeat yourself more slowly and more loud! :smug:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

That's the thing, there's no bypassing, period, unless you've already rooted the phone (or had the Allow OEM Upload checked). Dead stock N6 phone, interrupted during a monthly Android update resulted in an unrecoverable brick.

First thing I loving do with the replacement that should show up today? Rooting the poo poo out of it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/toolkit-wugs-nexus-root-toolkit-v1-9-8-t2947452

In case you don't feel like doing everything manually. I used this toolkit when I still used my Nexus 4.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I bought a case of surge last year. It's not as good as I remember.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

And now you know where VW got the idea for the VR6.

Phone chat:

New N6 showed up, used the Nexus Root Toolkit and it worked great. I'm unlocked, rooted and later will be backed up. Thanks again for the program tip, mariooncrack!

No problem! I'm glad everything worked out for you this time. Doing all of that by hand can be a pain.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Hyundai does some great warranty work, just ask Bajaha.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend got married Chicago last year and the reception was at the art museum. I have no idea how expensive it was though. I don't think I'll go to anything that'll top that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think he tried to sell the car. I'm pretty sure someone find the link to his reddit thread and he stopped posting on it too.

Found his reddit thread :

https://www.reddit.com/r/300zx/comments/2vjr2p/whyyyyy_a_story_of_an_awesome_300zx_crippled_by/

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 15, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

fjelltorsk posted:

My god, i just got great news about our little consultant firm.

ill save you the wall of text, but is going to be real fun. we are hiring 8 more people and have signed a major contract with a contractor that spans for 36 months

2015 has been one crazy year for you hasn't it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

You Am I posted:

Prepared to be disappointed. You know how MS is pushing "night racing and wet racing" in Forza 6? Only 4 tracks have that feature. Friends and I were wanting to race Bathurst in the wet, but you only have a dry option for that track. Not even a night option. Fuckers :(

I'm sure they'll add it later as DLC

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think he's referring to John Hopkins, a famous hospital.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Xy Hapu posted:

What would be a good way to learn how to drive a manual? I was poking around for work at a service department and they said it'd be great if I could learn, I figured I'd just rent something with a stick and drive around but all anyone seems to have are autos. No one I know has a manual car and none of the driving schools around me have manuals either.

Sadly, you're probably going to have to buy one. I think you'll have the basics down in a weekend and it'll probably be about a month until you feel confident about it. I haven't found any rental places in the states that let you rent one and I don't think driving schools have them around either.

fjelltorsk, has your wife thought about Boston? It's a big medical town. I know someone is going to mock me but Cleveland is starting to become a big medical town too or at least that's what everyone makes me think. The suburbs are nice and some of the schools don't suck. One of the biggest draws for it though is the low cost of living. I know someone will probably post these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

at least we're not Detroit

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

nm posted:

Don't you live in Indiana or something?

You're thinking of Rhyno

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

The Winters make that statement untrue (except for NE Ohio, and gently caress that place). Surprisingly, once you get away from the lake(s), it becomes a lot more temperate.

Cleveland isn't all that bad.

At least it's not Detroit :smug:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I left the Akron area for good more than 8 years ago. I wish I had done it sooner. Just a hundred miles South makes a HUGE difference in weather. It's not continually cloudy/gloomy and we get like 1/2 of the snowfall. No downsides.

Where are you living now? I lived in southeast Ohio for awhile and I wasn't a fan.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I was looking around to see if there was a Miata club in Cleveland. I found one but I assumed it was all old people because they have a page on their site for surfing the web safely.

https://northcoast-miata.com/webtips/

Gas chat: Depending on where you go, I saw anywhere from ~$2 to $2.30 here in Cleveland on my way home

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

You guys actually pay attention to gas prices? I just remember the 2-3 places that it's cheapest at and give no fucks what the price is.

I pass a lot of gas stations on my way home.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

This is how I read this initially. Thought you should know

Well... I can't confirm or deny that one.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

leica posted:

House for the price of a VCR.

Oh wait that's Cleveland.

At least we're not Detroit.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

So this is kinda chatty, I guess -

After a 3 year break, I've started driving again. (my old job, managing a bar, was -2 miles from home, so there were two good reasons to not drive right there). I'm 42 years old, and have driven otherwise consistently since I was 15.

I'm loving PETRIFIED OF EVERYTHING. Lane changes, streets, other cars, pedestrians, every squeak, rattle or smell from my own car. I'm constantly freaked out about insane poo poo like my cat overheating and catching fire, wiring faults, etc. I STILL haven't managed to put myself on the freeway.

What the gently caress, guys? When I was a teenager I was of course a fearless maniac. In my 20s and 30s, loved building up cars and taking them to autoX but drove responsibly and safely without much concern. And now... Just the thought of getting into my awesome car and tooling around on a beautiful southern California afternoon fills me with anxiety to the point of avoidance.

"You've gotta force yourself to get out there and just loving do it, man" - Sure. As if. I only *HAVE* to drive about 2x/month, about 3 miles each way. And that's exactly how far I drive. Surface streets, right lane, behind buses, with my hands nailed to the wheel, hyper aware to the point where my ex says I'm a danger to others on the road due to overbraking. And she's probably right.

Thoughts, please?

Try driving when there are less drivers on the road until you build some confidence?

Are you taking anyone with you when you go driving?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So what are those super computers used for? Mastering chess?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
In case you're still confused about gamersgate:

http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Let me show you how wrong that is:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Gamergate

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gamergate

If they want to talk about ethics in game journalism, they need to find a different name to do it under. There is no saving the Gamergate movement.

It's satire. Clickhole is an onion site.

• Locked thread