Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do they get upset when someone is missing? They will 100% of the time have been kidnapped by a villain who always fails at killing them. Just relax and let the extremely competent batman handle everything. :v:

Wanamingo posted:

Yeah, the drunk commentary was a bit much.

Has this been posted yet? Because I'm posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhAq3F8NCE
It should always be posted, regardless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pjNuvzW2FE

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

kalonZombie posted:

Mandatory sewer level hooraaaaaaaaaay.

Episde 5: A Baseball Bat and a 2X4

At about 5:15, during a cutscene, Batman throws a live fish into the mouth of a decapitated puppet, presumably to get him to stop talking. :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's a possibly slightly magic puppet.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

He's a possibly slightly magic puppet.

Was the fish also magic? Because Batman threw that live, flopping fish like it was a throwing knife or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, that's because he's Batman and that's what he does. Like when he told Robin and Batgirl to kill all the hoodlums he'd tied up on the floor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6j-rwKcsc

I've been playing Bubsy with some friends for the casual thread and it was suggested that I post it here as well. Bubsy is real bad man. It's real real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMnf3PM4mk

Here's a trailer I made that should get you psyched for the rest of the videos. I've got up to part 6 posted in the casual thread right now (I just posted 6) so if you wanna watch the rest of it it's over there.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6j-rwKcsc

I've been playing Bubsy with some friends for the casual thread and it was suggested that I post it here as well. Bubsy is real bad man. It's real real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMnf3PM4mk

Here's a trailer I made that should get you psyched for the rest of the videos. I've got up to part 6 posted in the casual thread right now (I just posted 6) so if you wanna watch the rest of it it's over there.

uh, but Bubsy doesn't belong in this thread. Bubsy is a Good Game.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
All joking aside...I liked Bubsy as a kid. I beat both the SNES games. It's fast and colorful and has some neat ideas under its horribly bland, plastic trappings.

But let's not kid ourselves. These are Bad Games. These are very, very, very bad games. Except for the James Turrell Retrospective art exhibit game, that was good obviously.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760939
I really liked this game for the first hour
Then it became a bad game, because the devs forgot that it's a game
Now the LP is a perpetual rant and I have no idea how I will get through the thing
It is pretty, though

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'll set up a seperate thing in the OP for cross-posting threads, sure. Also, here is more Batman: Dark Tomorrow. We're still in the sewer. We will continue to still be in the sewer for a while.

Episode 6: Mandatory Sewer Level

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

This walkthrough is bad and useless.

Episode 7: Yes, This Episode Is Seriously One Room [FILLER]

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

That boss strategy I found against Black Mask? It works on nearly every boss of the game, but better since sudden camera angle changes don't happen as often.

Episode 8: Killer Croc of poo poo

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

catching up on batman and in ep4 someone posted a gif from this match and it's too adorable to not post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTCJOWpOm80

Japanese wrestling is the best wrestling though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJPZzlOhBmA

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763316
This is a bad game
There is, in fact, pain associated with it

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, this thread is so convenient, not only do I get to see a bunch of bad games in here, but I also get to know about all the bad games across the forum. They're so much more enjoyable to watch than an actual good game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
This took way to long for me to get back around to doing.
Banzai Pecan: Episode 07 - Finale

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Sometimes, you play a game that has a lot going for it, but is flawed in some critical way that makes the game impossible to enjoy, or worse, impossible to play at all. Sometimes, you can see how someone who's spent months or years of their life can be used to those flaws enough to love the game and overlook how people with non-biased expectations might not be willing to accept the end product. Sometimes, the little annoyances just add up in your experience until you hate a game that other people seem to love and you can't understand how they can be having such a good time when you're not.

Sometimes, you encounter a game that leaves you wondering whether the people who made it even bothered to play it before foisting it on the world and trying to see how much money they could rake in before word got around that it was a pile of unplayable bytes.

This is Pandora: Purge of Pride, a decent tech demo with the words "tech demo" scratched out in red crayon and "game" written next to it in white to disguise the fact that they forgot to finish making the demo. The following picture is pretty much the best part of the entire game:

The idea is fine and actually sounds kind of fun, which is why I pledged to the Kickstarter: A young woman cleverly named Pandora lives in a Victorian mansion and opens a jar that happens to contain the spirits of the Seven Deadly Sins, which wreak havoc on the house and the billions of colored blocks within. She has to make her way through the mansion, capturing the spirits as she goes so that she can use their powers to progress. That, unfortunately, is as good as it gets. The "exploration" is a linear path where completing each room moves you on, and "capturing the spirits" simply means solving the puzzle in each room, none of which have anything to do with the spirits of the Seven Deadly Sins. Half of the powers are next to useless, half of the rest are completely useless, and all of them are clearly challenges that the physics engine employed here was never meant to cope with. Let me be clear: The game just plain doesn't work properly sometimes. I'd say most of the time, but to be fair, about half of the puzzles actually appear to work the way they were intended to work, at least as far as I can tell. The rest of the time, the game will break in ways that don't always make it clear that it's not working, and you might bang your head against a particular puzzle for hours because you're doing the right thing and the game just doesn't recognize it. Or you may end up outside the geography of the level with no way to get back inside. Or a vital component of a puzzle might disappear and the only way to bring it back is to reset the level, which doesn't always bring you to the point you'd expect. The puzzles that work are tedious and the ones that don't are challenging for obviously unintended reasons. I've come to understand that there's a version 1.1 patch that may fix some portion of these issues, but since I got the game on a USB drive from the Kickstarter and don't own it on any of the online distribution platforms, I have no idea how I would go about getting the patch without having to pay for it, and I've paid much more than I think I should have had to. It also wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that the version I have is already the 1.1 version. If anyone out there has even heard of this game, it would surprise me, but I'd love to know whether the patch would have made this any less atrocious to play. I'll let the game say the rest for me, along with co-commentators Warmal and his fiancée, who definitely helped me plumb some of the mysteries of the game.

Part 1: Polsy Youtube
Part 2: Polsy Youtube
Part 3: Polsy Youtube

A video of the full playthrough, including the parts I edited out of these videos, will follow in the Low Effort thread once I've uploaded it.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 21, 2016

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Doseku posted:

Good job actually managing to slog through that and condolences for any money spent on it. If someone told me that footage was from an early 2000s newgrounds flash game I would have fully believed it.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Doseku posted:

This game was really bad. My face hurts from wincing.

Thanks for showing it off / warning us about it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Doseku posted:

Everything about this was moderately retarded. Thank you.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Nidoking posted:

This is Pandora: Purge of Pride, a decent tech demo with the words "tech demo" scratched out in red crayon and "game" written next to it in white to disguise the fact that they forgot to finish making the demo. The following picture is pretty much the best part of the entire game:

Part 1: Polsy Youtube
Part 2: Polsy Youtube
Part 3: Polsy Youtube

That's a pretty good description of a very bad game.
What in the kickstarter marketing made you think it sounded like a good idea?

I don't really think "tried to make puzzles without knowing what makes games fun" covers it all. I think they also tried to make puzzles without knowing what puzzles are.

Games like Portal and The Talos Principle are how you do first person puzzle games using physics. There are several ways you can achieve your goal, but you're never in doubt what your goal is or what your set pieces do. You even feel like you achieved something at the end of each puzzle for figuring out how to use your knowledge of the game world and physics in combination with logic and reasoning.

This game just gives you a room with completely new set pieces every time and you have to figure out which arbitrary thing you have to do to which objects.

My guess is they never actually had a tech demo.
If I can make an assumption, I guess they started in the wrong end. They probably came up with the story first, after remembering the story of Pandora from somewhere. Then they came up with the idea that it should be set in victorian times with the great explorers and such, and that the evils in pandoras jar could be the 7 cardinal sins. THEN they were so satisfied with themselves for coming up with this simple story idea that they would shoehorn everything else into it. The idea that you get skills inspired by the sins, what type of skill each sin would give, which room each sin would fit into in a victorian mansion, and the art style that is supposed to look like 1800's drawings with crosshatching and stuff. THEN they started building puzzles and game mechanics.

Thing is, good physics puzzle games start with the physics.
Portal was just a tech demo, a freeware game showing an innovative concept with physics that impressed Valve enough to hire the entire team and build a game around it. From the concept of the portal gun they built puzzles where the gun would have to be used in more and more creative ways combined with the game physics. Then they wrote a story around it.

Doseku posted:

A terrible ending for a terrible game. The Star Wars reference wasn't unexpected considering how many lovely references were in the early game, but god why? Did anyone of them really think it would be funny or interesting in anyway to just copy a dialogue verbatim from a movie? That's really not how you do referencial humor in a good way (the only good way is of course "not at all").

I still think the sprite animations look a lot better and than the cutscenes. Pecan's limbs have pretty much the same dimensions from frame to frame and I refuse to believe that someone who drew those blocky animes in the cutscenes could animate a smooth walking cycle. I'm certain they're traced from somewhere.

I feel really bad for you for having suffered through that game just for this thread.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nidoking posted:

Sometimes, you encounter a game that leaves you wondering whether the people who made it even bothered to play it before foisting it on the world and trying to see how much money they could rake in before word got around that it was a pile of unplayable bytes.

The Kerbal Space Program music really sets the mood.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Good God Almighty, that Kickstarter donation :stare: No offence, but that was caused me to cringe and laugh the most, sorry! Like kjetting said, what convinced you to donate so much? I mean, I'm no stranger to huge KS donations ($313 to Pillars of Eternity, 3 days to probation once the KS finished), but that was only because I knew Obsidian would be behind it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SelenicMartian posted:

The Kerbal Space Program music really sets the mood.

I've never played it - are you talking about the music in the actual game or the tune I used for the subtitle frames (which is from Undertale)? An interesting note about the game's music - it actually does get louder and louder as you go. I halved the volume for the Pride level because it was drowning out my co-commentators, when it was barely audible early on, and that's after I doubled the volume for the first bit.

CommissarMega posted:

Like kjetting said, what convinced you to donate so much? I mean, I'm no stranger to huge KS donations ($313 to Pillars of Eternity, 3 days to probation once the KS finished), but that was only because I knew Obsidian would be behind it.

It was early days of Kickstarter for me and I was a lot more generous then, and a lot more enamored of the unique rewards. Over time, I realized that they tended to be crap more often than not, and of course, they'd have to be since they were cutting into the funding for the actual games. But like I said in the video, I thought the idea would become a good game, and it's a lot smaller than my donations to some other projects. I think I'm an honorary member of the Infamous Quests team. Nowadays, I keep my donations pretty small unless I really trust the people making the game and the rewards are super great. I pretty much just go for the physical copies of games and maybe a neat figurine or art book.

kjetting posted:

This game just gives you a room with completely new set pieces every time and you have to figure out which arbitrary thing you have to do to which objects.

I do want to address this specifically, because some of the puzzles weren't actually that difficult to understand. The level that introduced Gluttony actually required me to use that power every step of the way, and the only difficult part was that I eliminated the blocks I needed before fully understanding how the power worked the first few times. The levels after that, though, all had at least one puzzle where the new power wasn't used at all, as far as I can tell, and the Lust power in particular isn't properly introduced until you have to use it right at the end. Maybe that was the solution to the room with the green pits that I just skipped, since there were blocks moving around in that room, but it's the only possible place where "sticking two blocks together makes a single big block" might have been introduced, and if that somehow solves the puzzle, it's REALLY out there. There were also voice clips that we talked over liberally that did give a good indication of what the goal was, but rarely how one might set about achieving it. No subtitle option, though, so I guess deaf players are just totally out of luck.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nidoking posted:

I've never played it - are you talking about the music in the actual game or the tune I used for the subtitle frames (which is from Undertale)?
A couple of tracks also used in KSP played in the first and at the beginning of the second video in-game. One was from assembling your rocket and one from orbital view.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The thing about Pandora that got me the most throughout the game, was that there was a simultaneous feeling that Nidoking was doing everything right and at the same time not doing what you were supposed to. It was definitely most apparent at the clock for sure, but watching it being done live just gave me a weird feeling that none of the game was at all right. I think the main issue is that it doesn't feel finished and is inherently just not a good puzzle game. It's so bad at accomplishing it's goal, that you can either instantly see the solution the moment you look at the puzzle, not do the puzzle, or have literally no idea what it wants you to do. At the end of the day, it was just an all around terrible game, and I was happy to be a part of all of that.

That said, I was initially intrigued by "using the seven deadly sins to solve puzzles," and I'll stick by that. I think it could make an interesting puzzle game. And if not that, at least a nice interactive story. At the very very least.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kjetting posted:

A terrible ending for a terrible game. The Star Wars reference wasn't unexpected considering how many lovely references were in the early game, but god why? Did anyone of them really think it would be funny or interesting in anyway to just copy a dialogue verbatim from a movie? That's really not how you do referencial humor in a good way (the only good way is of course "not at all").
Don't forget copying lines from (purposely?) terrible fanfiction too.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/doom-repercussions-of-evil

quote:

The radio said "No, John. You are the demons."
And then John was a zombie.
Are you sure this wasn't just an upsized Flash game?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

kjetting posted:

I still think the sprite animations look a lot better and than the cutscenes. Pecan's limbs have pretty much the same dimensions from frame to frame and I refuse to believe that someone who drew those blocky animes in the cutscenes could animate a smooth walking cycle. I'm certain they're traced from somewhere..

The sad part is that four out of the eight people who worked on this did graphics and it still looks bad. (Two of those four are on the main team and that's all they do.)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Here's some more loving awful Batman game. It's mostly me totally misunderstanding what to do so I end up wasting all but like the first few minutes of episode. Dark Tomorrow!

Episode 9 - Backtracking [MOSTLY FILLER]

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

This is the end of the first recording session and gently caress this loving game it was a goddamn miracle I came back to it.

Episode 10: Uncle

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

We went looking for the bottom and we found it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

There are no ice puns for this boss fight. Only stupidity. Also this begins the second (and final) streaming session and I'm sorry that Heave and Julia are so quiet. I forgot to turn mumble back up and nobody told me in the stream chat.

Episode 11: That isn't Schwarzenegger at all!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Remember how awesome it was to glide around in Arkham City and Arkham Knight? Yeah, you're not getting any of that here.

Episode 12: Bat Glider

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Penultimate update. I work towards the good ending, which means I'm willfully playing more game.

Episode 13: I Want The Good Ending, For Some Reason

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
You poor thing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

You get half the endings here. If you want the other half, too bad, gently caress off. I'm never touching this game again.

Episode 14: I Never Have To Play This Again! Hooray!

By the way, I was serious when I said I was going to mail it to Lesbiathan, and she seriously framed it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

kalonZombie posted:

You get half the endings here. If you want the other half, too bad, gently caress off. I'm never touching this game again.

Episode 14: I Never Have To Play This Again! Hooray!

By the way, I was serious when I said I was going to mail it to Lesbiathan, and she seriously framed it.

Kemco? Really? As far as I know all they do is make the mediocrest of mediocre RPGs for mobiles these days.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Oh wait I was playing another lovely game, wasn't I?

Episode 8: Teleport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ah yeah! I've been waiting for more Star Trek bullshit.

• Locked thread