Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
I enlisted Skippy Granola to help me commentate on a lovely game I found in a bargain bin a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2M554XBwq4

Before Paradox Interactive split with Paradox Entertainment we got this little gem called Valhalla Chronicles. It's wants to be an ARPG but fails horribly at it, having not only janky animations, but bad design overall. The left mouse button is always attack, no matter what the context. To talk to an NPC you need to right click and choose from a menu. I think I forgot about that every time I tried recording it because of how unintuitive I found it. The story is pretty much a joke, and if you want to risk a hospital visit you can take a shot every time you see something misspelled.

To get you excited for the "Myth, Magic and Mayhem in the World of the Vikings", here's the story as presented on the back of the box:

quote:

Odin acquired his skills in magic and runes by hanging by his neck in Yggdrasil, impaled by spears. He hung like this for a whole week and when he returned to Valhalla, he was the mightiest among the gods. Eight of the runes in the Futhark were so powerful that Odin hid them from the world. Now Odin's vile bloodbrother Loke seeks the runes to initiate Ragnarlk, the end of the world. You must find the runes before Loke and prevent the apocalypse. Play in ancient Scandinavia as one of four heroes, each with unique abilites. Meet dwarves, giants and trolls on your quest for the runes.

Figures that my first real video would be a contribution to the Bad Games Megathread. Apologies for not being good at commentating (lots of pauses and "uh"s and "eh"s). Or editing. I don't think this game deserves much better though.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIkgBXyu4o

OldManMarsh fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

BioEnchanted posted:

Video is private

Should be fixed. Youtube decided to change the settings while I authenticated, and I didn't notice it.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

Sloober posted:

The astonishing thing about this game is it came out in 2003 and looks far worse than Diablo, which came out in 1996.

I think part of that might be my fault for being new with recording, but it sure as hell doesn't look good. The game also forces fullscreen, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant for a 16:9 resolution. I tried several ways to force windowed, but the game resisted every single one of them, even becoming a crashfest when I tried to use DXWnd.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

corn in the bible posted:

What do you use to record?

I'm using OBS at the moment. I had to use monitor capture to be able to capture any video at all for this game. Naturally I forgot to switch from the settings you usually use for streaming, because I'm an idiot. Doesn't seem like that part mattered too much with this game though.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

mateo360 posted:

So... this is a thing. I regret everything already.

For this first episode, I have Combat Lobster, Senior Scarybagels, and Loco.

Overture - Decadent Moon

This game seems like it's ridiculously bad. I don't think I've ever seen anything in this genre with combat that slow and uninteresting before.

Cowman posted:

Let's Play Eternity's Child Episode 3 - I DON'T KNOW

I'm getting desperate to keep this game interesting as you can tell in this video. I think I'm just gonna stick to goofy music from now on. I also left out a level by mistake and that's gonna be in the next video. I just skipped over it I guess, it's the one level that's pretty unique in terms of art and everything.

So is that the extent of the tile set changes? Because this looks almost exactly the same as before. It's also amazing to me how it seems like there's barely been any work at all put into the how the jumping feels in a platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
Here's another Valhalla Chronicles video. It covers some extra things in the first area, as well as area 2 and 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIkgBXyu4o

Skippy joins me once again. Unfortunately, the game is not getting better.

At first I was planning on leaving the first video as a one-off. Then I decided for some weird reason to torture myself by recording more of this. I ended up spending 2 hours figuring out why the game refused to start. Turns out the answer to was that an update to Windows was the culprit. By then I had already tried several other things, and lost my earlier save files, so enjoy some extras from the first area before we jump into the next 2.

Edit: Had to reupload due to an audio balance fuckup. Hopefully this is better.

OldManMarsh fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 28, 2015

• Locked thread