Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was reading the Millennial thread in GBS and it made me think about how easy it is as a millennial to outwork your competition. Just by not screwing around on my smartphone every 20 minutes I crush most people at my day job.

I started thinking about fields where you could make a ton of money without technical skills just by working hard. I was going to write up the post below for the thread but it I figured it would be wasted by a bunch of "it must be nice" responses and excuses why they are broke with their sociology degrees or privilege rants or god knows what else besides inward reflection. The post starts below:

This generation's work ethic is so bad anyone who puts in even a token effort can be successful. I bet there are 5 fields I could walk into tomorrow and be killing it within a year.

Any of you guys who complain you can't get a job or make any money here is one way to make 6 figures. Go get a real estate license. 95% of agents don't do a drat thing. Once you get your license, walk though a neighborhood every day and knock on every door and ask if they want to sell their house or know anyone who does. Leave a door hanger on every house no one is home. This is the "hard work" part. I bet you make 6 figures by year 2 if you do this 15 hours a week. I must know 50 agents and only one person has ever walked a neighborhood and knocked doors. He makes more than anyone else I know. Everyone else shares their 1 listing on Facebook then goes to a networking event where they waste their time talking to other agents who don't do anything but post 1 listing on Facebook. There is so much money in that industry but the agents are so goddamn lazy. I bet agents are late to 80% of their appointments too. How can you not be on time to the only thing you have to do all day? I would pay $1,000 retainer fee just to have an agent who is never late.

I actually thought about becoming a real estate agent just because I honestly do not believe there is an easier field to outwork your competition. It is not a field I am interested in (nor does it align to my skillset) but I kind of want to do it to prove to myself I could destroy the competition. If I get bored of my day job I might give it a shot.

Here is how you know there is just piles of money to be made in this industry. 95% of the money is made by 5% of the agents. That top 5% works their asses off but they aren't any smarter than anyone else. I don't think I ever met a real estate agent who could tell you what the Pythagorean theorem is.

I was about to hit post on this and my buddy called. He got laid off 2 years ago and started a lawn care and exterior maintenance company. I was actually his first ever paying client. I hired him to fix a rental property I have and he did it fast and on time, which is just as rare as having a real estate agent show up on time. His first month he made like $800 cutting lawns and bullshit like that. 18 months later and he should be knocking down 5 figures this month. All he does is show up to every job on time, work his rear end off, and clean up when he leaves (which these people never do). This guy isn't Einstein, he never went to college, but he works his rear end off. All of his business is from referrals. His entire advertising cost was 5 shirts with his name and logo + number, 500 business cards, and a sign he puts in the yard while he is working. And he is so busy I can't even get him half the time, and he is one of my best friends!! I also helped him get this started and if anyone has some questions on the initial start up I can tell a good story showing the difference between overthinkers and people who get the drat thang done.

OK that was my post.

What other jobs are there you can make a killing with hard work alone? No degree and no resume required. I have a couple thoughts but I am curious if this forum has any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Can I start a lawn maintenance company and then, once it's making five figures per month, stop working and pay someone else peanuts to run it while I sleep, eat, and play video games 24/7?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Uh, how old are you? Do you think you're the first person who discovered giving a poo poo? Or the first person who has an outsized, unrealistic appraisal of his own work ethic? Why don't you give us an idea of all these job fields you can effortlessly crush by not checking your smartphone every ninety seconds? I'm sure you have the work ethic to figure it out on your own.

Have you considered that your best friend maybe isn't so busy that you can't take your phone calls, and that maybe he just doesn't want to talk to you?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

I was reading the Millennial thread in GBS and it made me think about how easy it is as a millennial to outwork your competition. Just by not screwing around on my smartphone every 20 minutes I crush most people at my day job.

I started thinking about fields where you could make a ton of money without technical skills just by working hard. I was going to write up the post below for the thread but it I figured it would be wasted by a bunch of "it must be nice" responses and excuses why they are broke with their sociology degrees or privilege rants or god knows what else besides inward reflection. The post starts below:

This generation's work ethic is so bad anyone who puts in even a token effort can be successful. I bet there are 5 fields I could walk into tomorrow and be killing it within a year.

Any of you guys who complain you can't get a job or make any money here is one way to make 6 figures. Go get a real estate license. 95% of agents don't do a drat thing. Once you get your license, walk though a neighborhood every day and knock on every door and ask if they want to sell their house or know anyone who does. Leave a door hanger on every house no one is home. This is the "hard work" part. I bet you make 6 figures by year 2 if you do this 15 hours a week. I must know 50 agents and only one person has ever walked a neighborhood and knocked doors. He makes more than anyone else I know. Everyone else shares their 1 listing on Facebook then goes to a networking event where they waste their time talking to other agents who don't do anything but post 1 listing on Facebook. There is so much money in that industry but the agents are so goddamn lazy. I bet agents are late to 80% of their appointments too. How can you not be on time to the only thing you have to do all day? I would pay $1,000 retainer fee just to have an agent who is never late.

I actually thought about becoming a real estate agent just because I honestly do not believe there is an easier field to outwork your competition. It is not a field I am interested in (nor does it align to my skillset) but I kind of want to do it to prove to myself I could destroy the competition. If I get bored of my day job I might give it a shot.

Here is how you know there is just piles of money to be made in this industry. 95% of the money is made by 5% of the agents. That top 5% works their asses off but they aren't any smarter than anyone else. I don't think I ever met a real estate agent who could tell you what the Pythagorean theorem is.

I was about to hit post on this and my buddy called. He got laid off 2 years ago and started a lawn care and exterior maintenance company. I was actually his first ever paying client. I hired him to fix a rental property I have and he did it fast and on time, which is just as rare as having a real estate agent show up on time. His first month he made like $800 cutting lawns and bullshit like that. 18 months later and he should be knocking down 5 figures this month. All he does is show up to every job on time, work his rear end off, and clean up when he leaves (which these people never do). This guy isn't Einstein, he never went to college, but he works his rear end off. All of his business is from referrals. His entire advertising cost was 5 shirts with his name and logo + number, 500 business cards, and a sign he puts in the yard while he is working. And he is so busy I can't even get him half the time, and he is one of my best friends!! I also helped him get this started and if anyone has some questions on the initial start up I can tell a good story showing the difference between overthinkers and people who get the drat thang done.

OK that was my post.

What other jobs are there you can make a killing with hard work alone? No degree and no resume required. I have a couple thoughts but I am curious if this forum has any suggestions.
Learn this one simple trick, real estate agents hate him!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

Have you considered a career in sounding like a serious dipshit with a holier-than-thou complex?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sundae posted:

Have you considered a career in sounding like a serious dipshit with a holier-than-thou complex?

Motivational speaker!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Learn this one simple trick, real estate agents hate him!
I'm the next Carlton Sheets!

I should have done a different original post, but I thought this would be an interesting thread. I had actually been thinking about starting one like it for a while. Maybe it should have been about non-salary based jobs or something....I don't know, guess I blew it. I think I read too many pages in a row of people complaining about their lives right before writing the first post. It was my mistake, bad tone, sorry to come off like a huge jerkoff, which I am not in real life. Seriously, I am not. I think I translate poorly to text hah

I thought it was interesting to talk to the guy who just walked around neighborhoods and knocked doors and made a ton of money, but I wrote it condescending (which the guy I know is not) and probably ruined what could have been a interesting thread with my tone. Before meeting this person I would have never though of an agent doing that and it blew my mind something so simple worked so well. No one has ever knocked on my door to see if anyone in the neighborhood was trying to sell a house.

As for my friend, I'm just happy for his success and though I'd share how what is perceived as a low income job can work out well with dedication. And yes, we hang out all the time prussian advisor.

I have a regular job but also a side business that allows me to meet small business owners and when I meet someone who does really well at something most people struggle to get by doing I always find it interesting. I guess I was hoping someone in this thread could share similar stories of what they did to turn what is considered a menial job into a nice income, but maybe this is the wrong site for it.

Sundae posted:

Yes but unfortunately it is a lot of effort without much money so It doesn't fit the thread hah

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
Practically anything you do, if you think you can out-effort 95% of your peers, you'll succeed in it and make whatever the top end money is for whatever you're doing. You can be a body builder. You can be a fisherman. You can be a hot dog vendor who lives at his stand 6 days a week. The only things you can't do are things which require physical or mental traits in the top few percentile, like being an astronaut or a basketball player.

But in reality it's not that easy out efforting everybody. And some times it's not about just working really hard. Are you willing to move and leave your friends and family behind? Are you willing to put off starting a family or developing relationships? Are you willing to do douchebag things?

And if you're going to out-effort everybody else, you can't just pick anything. You actually have to love what it is you're doing to be able to sacrifice so much in order to do it to that extent, and figuring out your work passion is something most people never manage to do.

Bicuspid fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 20, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I agree. I out-efforted a bunch of people in self-publishing, but I can't sustain it and I'm starting to feel the drag after just a year of doing it full-time. Two/three more novels and I think I'm done.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

moana posted:

I agree. I out-efforted a bunch of people in self-publishing, but I can't sustain it and I'm starting to feel the drag after just a year of doing it full-time. Two/three more novels and I think I'm done.

well as long as you're rich now!

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Leverage, borrow a lot of money, then use that money to buy leveraged stocks on the margin.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I dunno, that sounds pretty technical to me~

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

moana posted:

That is awesome you are doing well at that. A writer is one of those careers a ton of people want to do but they never actually write anything to draw a dime. I always thought self publishing was an interesting way to make money online. What did you do that helped you succeed? Ddi you pick a niche for your novels? How long have you been doing it? Is it your only income?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

What did you do that helped you succeed? Ddi you pick a niche for your novels? How long have you been doing it? Is it your only income?
You can read up in the self pub thread in CC, Sundae's OP is a great guidebook on what to do right. And yes, branding is key, the tighter your brand the better. I've been doing it for 3 and a half years now, went full time a year ago.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Ribsauce posted:

I should have done a different original post, but I thought this would be an interesting thread. I had actually been thinking about starting one like it for a while.

SA is not the place to talk serious business, you should know that by now.

Get the Quora app and say goodbye to the next 1000 hours of your life, the questions you are asking have been asked and addressed a million times already.

Sales, marketing, and making other people money are the surest ways to hustle yourself rich.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

fruition posted:

Get the Quora app and say goodbye to the next 1000 hours of your life, the questions you are asking have been asked and addressed a million times already.

Wait, exactly what questions are these?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

EB Nulshit posted:

Wait, exactly what questions are these?
How long will a goldfish live in urine?
What is Captain Crunch's backstory?
What is the best way to kick a gorilla in the testicles, facing him or from behind?
etc

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Ribsauce posted:

Take your work ethic and apply it to learning a valuable skill, then turn that skill into money. That's what 90% of the people who are successful on this forum have done. That percentage is so high because that's the best strategy for an optimal outcome.

You're looking for a shortcut, but there aren't any. Hard work isn't what makes people successful, it's all about doing the *right* work. You'd probably be amazed at the number of people earning six-figure incomes that do hardly any work most days. Not to say they sit around doing nothing, but efficient workers can earn more than they're paid in a few hours a day, on most days.

That being said, if you don't want a degree, but want to earn a good living, IT is probably your best bet. You'll have to pick up a book and get your hands dirty, but there will be plenty of long weekends to make you feel like you're earning your paycheck.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why don't you sell cars. Do you look nice in a suit or polo shirt? Do you smell OK? Can you act like a trustworthy person? Are you fine bothering the hell out of people constantly until they block your number? Can you pretend you care? If yes to half of these apply to every dealership in your local area.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I always wondered how the economics of car dealerships work. Every time I go to one it seems like there are 10 salesmen just standing around. Not because they are lazy, just because they always outnumber the customers.

The entire concept of dealerships is insane in 2015. I feel like dealerships should be a big rear end maintenance garage for warranty work and maybe 2 models of each car, one base, one fully loaded. You go, check them out, then build the exact car you want online and it comes on a train or truck 2 weeks later. And the price should just be the drat price. In 2015 I don't have to haggle over the price of a pair of jeans at Wal Mart, why is a brand new car not just a fixed price? It is ridiculous.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

And the price should just be the drat price.
I don't think there is a lot of haggling anymore (on a new car). You basically just pay what the dealership paid plus a few hundred bucks. Smartphones have made negotiating extremely one sided.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ribsauce posted:

The entire concept of dealerships is insane in 2015.
Dealerships are dumb and the sooner Tesla kills them off the better.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cicero posted:

Dealerships are dumb and the sooner Tesla kills them off the better.

There was talk of Texas getting rid of the dealership oligopoly this past legislative session (libertarian broken clock) but dealerships and Red McCombs in particular are powerful because of their market position.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

adorai posted:

I don't think there is a lot of haggling anymore (on a new car). You basically just pay what the dealership paid plus a few hundred bucks. Smartphones have made negotiating extremely one sided.
There is still some though. I was looking at a Volt the other week and got it down at least 2,500 from his "bottom line" without even trying. Of course, I doubt there are 3 car models in existence where the buyer has more leverage than a Volt sitting on the lot right now.

Aliquid posted:

There was talk of Texas getting rid of the dealership oligopoly this past legislative session (libertarian broken clock) but dealerships and Red McCombs in particular are powerful because of their market position.
Oh yea, the laws protect dealerships more than just about any other business in existence. I forgot about that part.

Tellara
May 2, 2003

Quality Custom Glassware Since 1923

Ribsauce posted:

Oh yea, the laws protect dealerships more than just about any other business in existence. I forgot about that part.

I've actually reported you to the mods for questioning the dealership system. In my state, that's not legal and SA could be held responsible for hosting this kind of content.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ribsauce posted:

"just about any other" must exclude realtors, because WHOO! There's a protected industry of rent seekers.

The wealthiest people I know own their business. Many of them inherited either the business or all the capital they needed to start it. Most of them are very skilled in what they do.
I also know plenty of people who are hitting it hard in real estate but haven't really hit it big.

And the whole "millennials are lazy and tech obsessed!" is a stereotype that exists mostly in the minds of Readers' Digest and Time writers. The better assertion is that 18-25 year olds since the beginning of time have looked pretty inept compared to their more experienced and established coworkers.
That's true of every generation. There are hand wringers who wrote articles 100 years ago about how cheap and widely available newspapers were ruining "the art of conversation" for commuters, as people were buried in their broadsheets instead of chatting with strangers. People said that cheap postage was killing off properly composed letters, because it's as easy and cheap to send a page or two instead.

If your idea of standing out in the market is to be better than a self-obsessed millennial, you are grossly underestimating the competition. I went to undergrad with some very bright, talented and hardworking people. I also graduated with some idiot rich kids who were dumb as bags of hammers (marketing and management majors, mostly).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
mother
loving
sewer
inspection

read it and weep motherfucker

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
How about, "You can make a lot, but you need a strong stomach," or, "-- need to tolerate isolation well."

I have a strong stomach and the social needs of a lighthouse keeper. I'm also super god damned lazy. There's got to be somewhere this can balance out.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I hear strippers make good money, both male and female.

Male strippers need more technical skills due to a glut of supply though.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Accretionist posted:

How about, "You can make a lot, but you need a strong stomach," or, "-- need to tolerate isolation well."

I have a strong stomach and the social needs of a lighthouse keeper. I'm also super god damned lazy. There's got to be somewhere this can balance out.

You were handbuilt to be an elementary school janitor. Live it

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Ribsauce posted:

I always wondered how the economics of car dealerships work. Every time I go to one it seems like there are 10 salesmen just standing around. Not because they are lazy, just because they always outnumber the customers.

The entire concept of dealerships is insane in 2015. I feel like dealerships should be a big rear end maintenance garage for warranty work and maybe 2 models of each car, one base, one fully loaded. You go, check them out, then build the exact car you want online and it comes on a train or truck 2 weeks later. And the price should just be the drat price. In 2015 I don't have to haggle over the price of a pair of jeans at Wal Mart, why is a brand new car not just a fixed price? It is ridiculous.

all the new cars are there to tell you that this dealership is For Real and to help them pretend that they make their money selling new cars. In reality DEALERSHIPS make most money with repairs (warranty & otherwise) by running good certified garages that do recalls & maintenance. Also selling used cars makes them guaranteed money: check kelly blue book value for anything and there's three prices: dealer trade-in (what credit you'd get selling your used car to a dealer; lowest of the three prices) dealer price (what a dealer would sell this car for; highest of the prices) and personal sale (what you'd buy/sell this car if you listed it in classifieds, which is right smack in the middle).

car salesmen seem to make money only if they hustle & lie a lot. finance managers make a lot more as their job is to finagle the bank to provide a loan, massage the buyers credit history so they'll get a loan they often can't afford. financers don't have to get the leads so they don't have to hit the pavement; they just work hard making loan deals which in TYOOL 2015 comes down to knowing the right order to do things in and sometimes personal relationships.

:words:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Commercial real estate appraiser.

All you need is a college degree and willingness to make peanuts ($30k to $40k) for ~3 years.

A licensed commercial real estate appraiser makes about $130,000 per year, and all you really do is write the same term paper over and over.

Also a great way to learn about the region you live in!

I love my job, and it was an opportunity open to me even thought I hosed around in college and got an unmarketable degree with a low GPA.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vomik posted:

You were handbuilt to be an elementary school janitor. Live it

Serious post here: An elementary school janitor makes more $$$ in Long Island school districts than being a medical research technologist at at least one research hospital in the area. We had a tech at NSMRC quit to go be a janitor because of the better pay and benefits back in the mid 2000s when I worked there.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A licensed commercial real estate appraiser makes about $130,000 per year,

Anywhere or just in expensive cities where $130k doesn't go far because a studio costs $2800/mo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
"What job can I make money in through hard work?"

The answer to that question generally is sales in whatever field you are interested in. The longer answer is it still isn't as easy as just "hustling," plus like others said, you have to love what you do/sell (not every aspect, but at least the general basis) or you'll burn out.

Also, in my experience for every legit, solid paying commission job, there are 5 scam "work hard and earn financial freedom" jobs. I learned the hard way going door to door for less than minimum wage (thankfully I quit after one day), but it's really hard to know on certain jobs what your expected income will be until you're actually selling for a few months.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Everyone else is bad, how can I find a job that will make me tons of money just by not being bad, but without no specialized skills?"

lol OP maybe you're only exposed to idiot coworkers because you work idiot jobs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EB Nulshit posted:

Anywhere or just in expensive cities where $130k doesn't go far because a studio costs $2800/mo?

Anywhere, for better or for worse. Banks pay the appraisal fees and they aren't willing to pay a premium for an appraisal in NYC compared to Louisville. Our company has offices across the country. The Portland Oregon appraisers are rich, the San Francisco appraisers are poor, and they both make about the same amount.

Jolly Green Giant
Dec 13, 2004
Jolly Man
HAHA op works for his money. The real question you should be asking is where can I make a lot of money and do nothing? (own a business that does 95% better than everyone else or at least make it appear it does better than 95% of peers or just hire a PR firm)

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

You should practice penmanship and become one of those people that paint marketing signs on the windows of restaurants and car dealerships.

Actually, I think I'll do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
West Coast Longshoreman -- ie, the guys who move shipping containers from boats to trucks. Pay is 100 to 200k. You need to "know somebody" to get in on the union gig though.

• Locked thread