Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first episode the other day. It was pretty good. I look forward to seeing where this is going.

Also, I guess the theme for the names of the Gundams is demons from the Lesser Key of Solomon in the Ars Goetia, which is kinda neat; it also synchs up nicely with there being only 72 known to have existed.

Barbatos, Gusion, Kimaris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Didn't someone also post an excerpt of setting fluff from the model kit instructions that mention that successive AV surgeries drastically increase the odds of the recipient dying, which is one of the reasons Mika's amazing, since he's managed to survive it three times?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

muike posted:

If it weren't for the fact that it makes you bleed, the vajajay naan implants and BDI stuff would feel right out of a heinlein novel or something

Fitting, given that supposedly one of the inspirations for the original Mobile Suit Gundam was the powered armor suits from Starship Troopers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised nobody's pegged Ein as a potential Char/rival. In the first episode, they showed several reaction cuts from him, even though he wasn't being directly addressed, and now he's already lost one squadmate/commander and is about to lose an older mentor figure because he was too injured to go along with him on this next sortie.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Echoing the "God drat Mika is a stone cold little motherfucker" sentiment. Also kinda surprised they actually showed him executing that first guy; the way they set that up was amazing, with the camera panning up as he's approaching to a close up on Orga, you think they're going to do a discretion cut. And then the camera cuts back to an overhead shot of Mikazuki right as he pulls the trigger.

I also liked the scene with him in the mess hall. "Big pieces are better. I feel like I'm really eating." Kind of hosed up but not really surprising to learn that the guys in charge before Orga took over weren't exactly keeping the Third Group well fed.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 19, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I think only Setsuna tops Mika at this, but I don't think Mika would be willing to gun down his own family in cold blood, even if Orga told him to.

How do we know that's not the reason he's an orphan to begin with? :tinfoil:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Just rewatched a bit of the first and third episodes to confirm something. The other CGS guy they executed, the one who tried to rush Orga when he made his "work for us or :frogout:" offer despite still being restrained was the same guy from the first episode who smacked that one kid across the face with a baton during the land mine drill before yelling at Todo (anime Mars Hitler) that he wasn't being strict enough in disciplining the kids. I get the feeling him and the other guy they executed, the one who was too stupid to realize he was no longer in a position where he could bully the kids, were likely the ones responsible for most of the abuse the orphans have suffered while working for CGS.

Also, another nice bit of characterization for Atra; when Eugene and Norba come to collect Biscuit and the drugged food for the adults, she gets a worried/apprehensive look on her face when she looks at the pots containing the drugged food. I don't think they would have let her in on their plan, but she definitely seemed to realize something was off there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I still think one of my favorite setting details is that the Gundams from the Calamity War era are all named after the 72 demons from the Lesser Key of Solomon in the Ars Goetia.

Because even if we never actually get to see it on screen at any point, it means this setting has a Gundam Caim. :getin:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That was an interesting episode and it's cool they don't have to have a fight every week to keep up momentum but drat there was some badly drawn stuff going on, outside of the already mentioned Atra :) face, Mika's back was like a squiggle and three dots most of the time. I hope the cracks aren't showing already.

Yeah, I thought some of the characters looked a bit off model during the scene in the Tekkadan office where they were discussing how they were planning on getting to Earth, too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Davincie posted:

hitler is just teaching them an ironic lesson

Yeah, "you can't trust adults because they'll screw you over at every opportunity."

That said, I'm pretty sure that this is a lesson where Todo is gonna be the one getting schooled when all is said and done.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i can see why people bring up Chars, because masked characters are a thing in Gundam, but Jerid really doesn't seem on that level. like i'm not sure what purpose comparing [IBO character] to [similar one-off Gundam character] serves.

It's because the human brain is wired in such a way to look for familiar patterns to help us understand something that is new and unfamiliar.

And if there's one thing Gundam excels at, it's sticking to familiar patterns.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think my favorite bit of that scene with Kudelia looking over the students' work was when she paused to note the covers of the AV devices on the backs of such young kids and you could tell how horrible she felt about the thought of it.

Mostly because I'd just had that exact same reaction a few minutes earlier when those kids ran into Orga in the hallway and I noticed the AV covers.

This is a really, really good show.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Another thing to keep in mind when thinking about those two kids arguing about getting the surgery done again - during the first episode, one of the teens mentions that the adults in CGS beat the poo poo out of him for having the audacity to not cry out in pain while getting the surgery. Orga responded that if he had cried out in pain, the adults would've just beat the poo poo out of him for being a crybaby.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zero_Tactility posted:

I also liked how they reinforced the fact that the Whiskers are awful and inhumane with how disgusted Naze looks when they're mentioned. There hasn't been a lack of that so far, but it helps really sell it when even the mob seems to think that is a bridge too far.

That was probably my favorite moment in an episode full of good moments. Seriously, when even the goddamn space mafia looks down on you for forcing that poo poo on kids, you know you've gone too far.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That said I wanted Kudelia to put on the helmet because I wanted to know how the gently caress her hair would fit.

Kanos posted:

This part was made even better by them lovingly animating her gigantic mane of hair flowing around in zero G.

I have a feeling that Kudelia's hair is going to get cut short at some point, and I really hope I'm wrong because that massive ponytail is ridiculous in zero G and I love it. :allears: :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Red Bones posted:

Is Man on a Mission that rock band where they all got turned into werewolves by a scientist? I didn't realise it was those guys (dogs?) until now.

Man With a Mission, and yeah.

Wikipedia posted:

Before becoming popular, the band invented a back-story for why they wear wolf masks, which involves them being created as the "Ultimate Life Form" by Jimi Hendrix, who is described by the band as being the doctor of the guitar and master wolf biologist.[3] They were then frozen in Antarctica for years, before escaping and emerging on the Japanese music scene.[4]

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

There's layers of betrayal. Todo conspired with Orcus to sell Tekkadan out to Gjallarhorn and split any reward Gjallarhorn had to offer/whatever the value of selling Tekkadan's stuff would be. Orcus then decided "You know what, I'll just sell them out on my own and gently caress Todo over and keep everything for myself", which is why Todo began making GBS threads himself when Gjallarhorn showed up early before he was safe.

I also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Coral had been planning on backstabbing the Orcus guys once Kudelia was taken care of. They're probably lucky that Mika ended up taking him out.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think one of the things I liked about the reveal of the Turbines' family situation in this past Sunday's episode is that it adds a new context to Naze's reaction to learning about the Whiskers at the end of the previous episode. So far the usual reaction to Tekkadan's AV system from outsiders (mostly Gjallerhorn) has been a generic, "Oh God, that's horrible/barbaric!" But Naze actually has kids himself; the thought of Maruba forcing a procedure that could cripple or even kill on all the Tekkadan orphans must seem abhorrent to him on an entirely different level.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I love how the response to the question, "So are they the space mafia or space yakuza?" is apparently "Yes."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

On the one hand, that train of thought from Atra - :3:

On the other hand, holy poo poo her and Akihiro's backstories - :stare:

Also, my heart nearly stopped when the ED kicked in and it looked like Akihiro and/or Takaki were about to bite it. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Traveller posted:

Almiria is cute but for some reason I feel apprehensive about her ultimate fate.

We know that Gjallerhorn is getting a Gundam. We also know that Gundams were designed with the AV system in mind. We also know the AV operation can only be performed on young children. Both the chocolate man and the man next to the chocolate man keep making a point of how young Almiria is... :tinfoil:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's mostly that she already had a big epiphany about it before and resolved to start doing what she could rather than deciding to mope about what she couldn't(which is what led to her teaching the kids to read), and I was hoping that resolution would stick and we'd see her being more assertive.

Well, the main difference between this instance and her past instances of moping over being useless is that in the past she just kind of stood around and did nothing. Here, she was actually attempting to be useful for once and was shoved aside as someone with more expertise took over. It's a bit of a blow to the old self esteem when you resolve to make yourself useful in some capacity and are immediately upstaged by someone better at it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I don't really like the new woman on board, but maybe she'll develop into someone more interesting.

The only thing about her I don't like is that her character design reminds me of Nina Purpleton and it keeps triggering me.

Other than that, I don't have any problems with her so far.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of 0080, remember when Mao's voice actress from Build Fighters confirmed that the Build Fighters universe is basically Gundam Valhalla, where all the characters from all the series get to live and have long, meaningful lives without the horrors of war? :unsmith:

I'm really, really glad that's a thing after this latest episode IBO, because God drat I'd be depressed as gently caress otherwise. :smith:

Witness Masahiro Altland, all shiny and chrome.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Yeah. So what I'm curious about is either that was either a data pad speaking to Turbine or just one on their ship. Really don't want Naze to be a traitor.

I'm fairly certain if anyone is a traitor, it's most likely Fumitan; when the guy was speaking about setting the stage for Kudelia's death, it cuts to Fumitan, who still hasn't put on that pendant she received as a gift yet.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

... and to be honest did anyone get a really weird vibe from Macky this episode? Not like "pedo" vibe but "seriously manipulating that poor girl" vibe. There was something in his tone and his smirking which made me want him to get far the gently caress away from her.

Nah, I picked up on that, too. I think the way the shot was framed with regard to the lighting was also a contributing factor to how creepy it seemed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

I had a giant smile this whole episode, are we all in agreement this is a good Gundam show?

I think it could be argued that this just might be the best Gundam show.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Atra is one of the best characters on the show.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I remember when Atra was called the worst character in the show because she couldn't show character development in the first 10 minutes

Yeah, I remember that, too. I was skimming the start of the thread earlier to see if I could find those posts to laugh at them, but then decided it would be a more constructive use of my time to gush about how awesome Atra is instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

junopsis posted:

but fumitan's still here ;_;

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Also, congratulations to Ein for successfully managing to sortie without his commanding officer dying on him again! :toot:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like that Mika is meant to be scary.

The running gag of him not being able to remember Gaelio's name swung from "amusingly silly" to "chilling and creepy" so fast I almost got whiplash.

"Oh, you're the guy with the chocolate guy-"
"My name is Gaelio Bauduin!"
"Gali gali?"
"Are you making fun of me?!"
"It doesn't matter what your name was because I'm about to kill you."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The Sandman posted:

Once her speech started broadcasting to the entirety of the Earth Sphere, Gjallarhorn lost its chance to simply disappear Kudelia or have her killed in the confusion of battle. Killing her now would just prove her right about whatever she says in her speech.

It also doesn't help Gjallarhorn that McGillis can probably sabotage their normal information control attempts regarding her, or that Nobliss has decided that she's currently more useful alive than dead and is thus putting his figurative and literal weight behind keeping her that way.

On that note, I'm legitimately curious as to what she said in her communication to Nobliss there. I realize in the grand scheme of things it's not really important what she said, which is why they didn't bother taking the time to show it... but it's still got me curious, especially seeing as how he went from complaining about how she wasn't as big a deal as McMurdo seemed to think she was, and then when he cut back to him, he's laughing to himself and marveling at her audacity to try using him when he'd already written her off as an unimportant pawn.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure she basically just went "do what I say or I expose you" which he wasn't expecting because she's Kudelia.

And people are going to take her word over his because

Not to mention that, as shown by the fact that her broadcast got through, he can apparently suppress or allow whatever the hell he wants, when he wants. Who's she going to tell? Gjallerhorn? The corrupt as gently caress guys who just set up a riot among the lower class so they could justify massacring them without looking bad to the public?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I liked that we finally have an explanation of why Ein is so devoted to avenging Crank.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I really enjoyed this week's episode, and yeah, I don't think Ein's quite down for the count, either. IBO has never been shy about being explicit when it comes to showing people dying, and Ein's fate there at the end seemed too ambiguous to just write it off as, "Okay, you've served your purpose, now get off the stage you unimportant side character." And on that note, I also disagree with the general sentiment that Ein's ultimately unimportant to the plot; he's been around since the beginning of the series and generally whenever we've had a cut to Gjallerhorn's point of view, it's either been McGillis or Ein; even in the current dynamic of him being Gaileo's subordinate, he feels like the one the show is taking more of an effort to focus on in regards to the "opposing Tekkadan for personal reasons that go beyond it being their job."

Also, crazy kabuki lady amuses me, and I hope we get to see more of her. Was the guy who Mika body surfed into Earth's atmosphere the same guy she chided for coming in too late on their little synchronized speech thing?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So looks like Ein's gonna be getting his wish for an AV system after all.

I find it interesting that apparently the wide-standing prejudice against cybernetics, even if only as a medical prosthetic, is ultimately the result of Gjallerhorn propaganda, to try and curtail the possibility of it being used against them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Orphans... to space...

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well. poo poo.

I know Biscuit was dead from the moment Merritbit told Orga that they'd have time to talk later but it still sucks.

I knew from the opening shot on Mars when Cookie and Cracker were talking about him. I spent the entire episode begging for it not to happen.

• Locked thread