Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as mecha experience goes they... don't really have that great of a portfolio

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

The last fat guys that were major characters in Gundam were Ryu and Hayato, who were killed.

The captain from G-reco

Edit: I think there have been quite a few fat guys then the characters that came from the very first gundam show, now that I think about it.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 30, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

the big plot twist is that THIS is the gundam that will lead into turn a

That would be really dumb.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i also like the plastic aspects, but kinda wish they didn't push it to the detriment of the shows. G-Reco maybe could've used less fights and more time for other things, regardless of Tomino's great fight direction. also it's really lame that a toy show doesn't make toys of all the robots they spend half a year+ making look cool.

MG G-self loving when Bandai

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Well yeah, we already know it's gonna be megamanning parts from defeated opponents.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The waist really looks like it's designed to put more armor on at least.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I hope the princess gets to be cool, and do cool things.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

The dialogue in which they said their full rank, followed by full name made me laugh. That was so hammy.

I've seen that done in a bunch of shows and it's always silly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

The main villain is voiced by Takahiro Sakurai (The Medicine Seller in Mononoke, Polar Bear in Polar Bear Cafe) so I already have a crush on him. I hope he is really evil.

Who do you mean? I don't expect the main villain to have shown up yet.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

What the gently caress did I just read

A bad post

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Condiv posted:

well, even though they took him down with the gundam, they did it through a sneak attack on the guy, so still some strategy employed. this also helps hide the gundam's strength from us. we have no idea if the gundam in this series is actually supposed to be powerful or if it's a mass produced scrap heap. they were using it as a generator for their base after all.

We know a bit from information released before the show started. If i remember correctly the gundam was used in the great war 300 years ago, so while it's not a mass-produced scrap heap it might be outdated.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

I liked that a lot actually. My biggest disappointment is that i was hoping for more women in the cast; that might have been a mistaken expectation brought on by the productions team's past works and by the fact that the only other Gundam show i've watched is Turn A.

Yeah that would've been cool. They might introduce more later though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

or she could secretly be a ninja like Code Geass

I feel like this would be a tonal clash with everything else we've seen so far.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's not true at all, though. Honorifics are not that different from saying Sir or Mister or Dude.

That's not really true though. For example, it's perfectly normal to call your classmate lastname-san in Japan, but it would be really weird to call your classmate mr/ms lastname in america/england.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

those back things are gross.

You spelled cool wrong

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The sniping section reminded me of Metal Gear Solid V so much that I was half expecting a "CP, this is Delta 6" radio message after the first guy ate it

No one flew up with a balloon strapped to their back though?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Really enjoyed this, haven't been this excited for Gundam in a fair while.

A few comments on the art style and design:

Mika has really weirdly drawn eyes that the rest of the cast doesn't have? What's up with that?

Also, for some reason, I really enjoy that Biscuit is fat and ugly, but it has nothing to do with his personality, which is kind of awesome. So often anime really on character design as a crutch to reinforce salient aspects of personality, so it's refreshing this isn't the case for once.

I think it's an intentional thing. From what little we've seen it seems like the upper classes has a different color scheme and artstyle from the lower classes. Gjallarhorn is all white and primary colors, The orphans are beige and brown.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It is interesting to see a Gundam show going 'viva la space revolucion' for once, though. Usually, Gundam protagonists want to either reform or preserve the powers that be, not outright give 'em the middle finger. Even the League Militaire was beating back an invading force with covert assistance from their government.

WIng and 00

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

What does the thread title mean?

The opening song has a line that goes "waiting for direction", but a lot of people misheard it as "waiting for erection"

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

For the unknown, Bang Zoom has done shows such as:
-Rick and Morty
-Eureka 7
-Durarara!!
-Haruhi
-Fate/Series
-IGPX
-Samurai Champloo
-Gurren Lagann

I doubt they dubbed rick and morty

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, due to past experience with anime. If she turns out to be not-terrible I'll eat my words.

Instead of treating anime like some huge monolithic thing, perhaps look at the writer and director of this show? Are they prone to this archetype? Is the gundam franchise?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You may already know this, but I've made a new gundam megathread. If you like this and want more from the franchise i encourage you to check it out.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Usually. This one apparently isn't, and I doubt we'll get too much info on what an "Ahab reactor" is, but it ran out of propellant, which is separate from its fuel source...again, apparently

This was true of UC gundams too. They were powered by an internal reactor, but their thrusters were powered by a chemical propellant (until the V2 at least).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

All rockets require reaction mass. If you're in an atmosphere you can use air, but in space you have to bring your own whether you're using a chemical rocket, MHD, or whatever else.

While this is true, I'm not sure how meaningful it is to bring real science into even the most realistic of gundam.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

What does this even mean.

"I like it but I decided it's bad because Tomino isn't involved with it"

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm surprised nobody's pegged Ein as a potential Char/rival. In the first episode, they showed several reaction cuts from him, even though he wasn't being directly addressed, and now he's already lost one squadmate/commander and is about to lose an older mentor figure because he was too injured to go along with him on this next sortie.

It's possible but he seems too naïve and nervous to fit the role.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

does every gundam have the exact same character types or something

No, but certain broad character archetypes are recurring, almost like a tradition. One of the biggest flaws of the gundam franchise in general is that it overrelies on tradition imo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

We're only two episodes in, had Schwarz Bruder or Harry Ord even shown up this early in their respective series?

I think Harry had. I remember him and some other moonrace people having a meeting with Guin early on.

Also this show's going to be half as long as turn a or g.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ManSedan posted:

I'm expecting Mika to dramatically force himself to undergo a fourth whisker surgery about halfway through the show.

I think it would be more satisfying if he learned to pilot without them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, Gunpla's a part of any Gundam series, and a little idle chat's not bad to fill the week between episodes. Plus there's always going to be the occasional question of if a specific kit exists, or if its any good, from the curious anyway.

Luckily we already have a thread specifically for answering those questions http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Barbatos' mace is also a piledriver! I love piledrivers this owns!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not going to say the show is super sexist or anything, but it's still weird how the armies of the future are apparently back to being only dudes.

While I think it would be kinda lame if there were no women combatants later on, this show is clearly appealing to the fujoshi crowd. It's hardly surprising most of the cast is male.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

What's this referring to? :catstare:

A guy got super weird in the G-reco thread.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Above Our Own posted:

It's not an acceptable order, no squad of marines would willingly leave their comrades behind even if ordered to by the president.

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect, and if it's true they're pretty bad soldiers.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 21, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also the episode where they used the Turn A as a washing machine

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It makes sense for her as a character but man will I be glad when Kudelia stops finding new things to self-flagellate herself over.

Hey man, don't kinkshame

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I also think it was neat how there wasn't a robot fight this week. I guess i'm a hypocrite though because i'm real excited for the blonde- and purple-haired guys' robots next week.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

I think Kudelia was just guessing. When's the last time you think she had to pay for food?

It's also possible that earth-grown corn for eating is priced differently from mars-grown fuel corn.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

well I guess you're right, if only slightly so, GENESIS is also pretty hosed up, since it seems to take just long enough to kill someone for them to actually feel and notice it's effects(especially taking into account all the screaming that occurs in that scene), really when you get down to it, it's a needlessly cruel weapon even by Gundam standards

Something that makes people mentally degrade to the point they can't feed themselves and then has them starve to death is more hosed up than something which kills people in a matter of minutes, no matter how unpleasant that death is, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

:tviv:

That was all kinds of amazing, I don't know where to begin.

BTW, which Gundam is a good crash course on the history of the world? I get the idea of a massive war changing both the political and, to an extent, physical landscape, and that Gundam frames are somehow special compared to other mobile suits, but I get the feeling that the impact of some of the more technical details of the show are dependent on a clearer understanding of the lore of the world. At the same time, the show feels independent enough that even an newbie like me has no trouble following and enjoying the story.

This show is completely standalone, it does not take place in the same world as any other gundam show.

• Locked thread