Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That was fun and I liked it a lot. :) The cast is still settling in and has some work to do to shed some of the wooden-ness, but c'mon. This is the Superman family. It's supposed to be the glowing, optimistic, somewhat awkward and dorky end of the DC universe. Diving right into WHEEEEE I'M FLYING just seems right.

Plus watching Kara blow up a truck loving owned :getin:

e: "I CAN DO A CAR CHASE! *fwump*" was probably the best moment of the show. I get the feeling the backstory cram was mandated by NBC to get people interested and the MY COUSIN thing is probably DC being lovely about embargoes again. I'm willing to give them a few episodes to get into the swing of things before I judge.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

X-O posted:

I mean, this is just really unfortunate: http://i.imgur.com/QescvUO.jpg

That can't be a real person in a real thing. That's a knockoff Chinese Red Tornado toy.

You can't fool me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gawain The Blind posted:

I'm not big on DC character lore, but she doesn't become "super" until she gets to earth and our magic sun makes her that way, right? I mean, I guess she could have hit her head when her pod thing was flying around bumping into poo poo for years?

Alternatively there are certain high power alien weapons/events that can actually harm her as evidenced by the fact she immediately healed when the fragment was taken out.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

greatn posted:

What's weird is this got really good reviews and people on social media like Patton Oswalt really like it. I have no idea why.

Because it was fun and not everyone hates fun. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stanfield posted:

This show had Supergirl catching a plane while triumphant music played which is really all I want out of a Supergirl series. Having said that, if the next episode has her punch a bad guy into the sun while triumphant music plays I would immediately consider it the greatest tv show of all time.

We got pretty close to that when she punched a truck so hard the bad guy flew out of it and it exploded. Even if we don't get the sun thing imma give it a solid 7/10

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

I've been trying to watch the pilot for three days now, and I can't stand it for more than 10 minutes. The writing is all over the place and the dialogue is just way too corny. The lead actress is awesome, but that's the only thing the show has going for it right now.

I'm hopeful though. Both Agents of Shield and The Arrow started out terrible and became good. Maybe the same thing will happen here.

Pretend it's Golden Age Supergirl! Then the cheesiness is a feature instead of a bug and you're free to enjoy some legit fantastic moments in between the eye rolling melodrama.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

Preview from the next ep. Pretty great effects.

"Your cousin" jar: $1 so far.

Lookin' good! Dialog's snappier too, although that was like a 30 second clip, so probably not indicative. Still, one can hope.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

I know this is totally :spergin: but one thing that annoyed me about the pilot is when the Department of Extra-Normal Operations or whatever shot Kara with kryptonite needles when she was flying, the fall should have killed her, since by all accounts kryptonite makes both her and Superman mortal.

It is also not clear to me why the bad guy would run away from a helicopter, when he is clearly at least as strong as Kara and nothing the humans could throw at him could hurt him.

Oh well. Lazy writing I guess.

:eng101: They actually addressed this! It wasn't solid kryptonite, it was fancy tech laced with trace amounts. Juuuust enough to get the needle in and make the sedative take effect.

Though I imagine someone's car is now flat as a pancake and yet somehow still blared its car alarm until 5 in the morning.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
:j: I'd ask for a hug.
:geno: I am not programmed to do that.
:j: :smith:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 3, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also yay Hank's already the Incredible Melting Techno Man! Can't wait until it turns out his entire body has been made out of recycled toasters this entire time and no one at the DEO noticed.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

That was my reaction too. Like seriously dude, they're not real, and owned by different companies.

In his defense, a world where Spiderman can conceivably show up and fight Godzilla sounds like a world I want to be a part of.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

greatn posted:

Superman fights more like a big pro wrestler like Kevin Nash or something. Batman fights like Rey Mysterio.

I bet you can do a wicked jack knife powerbomb off the top rope when you can literally fly

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AnonSpore posted:

Tombstone a mans so hard he literally is planted headfirst in the ground and is dead

Tombstone him so hard he becomes his own tombstone

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

greatn posted:

And Kara is eye loving him every scene, such I think is a Kryptonian power.

I know this is not what was intended but I would like to start a petition for renaming "heat vision" to "eye loving" now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

Some serious sperging going on in here!

Hi, welcome to TVIV! You must be new here. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Superman tapping out a smiley face on his computer is probably the funniest thing I've seen this year. Owns.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Likin' the way they handled Henshaw this episode. Just that little growl and glowing eyes has me on board for the rest of the season based on what I know is coming :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WarLocke posted:

Spoil this for me? I don't know what the reference is and it's been bugging me. :ohdear:

Hank Hensaw is "Cyborg Superman." He was a pastiche of Reed Richards who melted instead of getting powers, but his consciousness can inhabit any electronics and reshape them. He went bonkers because Superman didn't prevent his accident and started claiming he was Superman.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Paging Access to the studio lot. Access, to the studio lot.

Rhyno posted:

This show is just not working for me. It's relegated to background noise.

much like your posting :smug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo I started flipping the gently caress out when Leslie started doing her shock-jock schtick. I seriously thought they were going to slow-burn her transformation but nope, here's loving Livewire right out of the gate. :woop:

Livewire is dope as gently caress and I hope she makes another appearance later. (Fun fact: She's a continuity implant from the DC animated universe, like Harley.) The way she was handled in live action is basically exactly how she was handled in the DCAU and I really hope this episode does gangbusters because it was loving great.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 17, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

In the comics there was LexEVERYTHING, no matter how silly. He even competed with himself by releasing the LexBOX and the LexTendo.

Lexbone :jerkbag:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Flesh Forge posted:

I wouldn't be so sure.

e: although yeah DC did end up cancelling the actual marriage

To this day, squashing Kate and Mags' marriage is the single stupidest thing I've seen DC do.

And I've seen DC do a lot of stupid things, including the '"Draw Harley Committing Sexy Suicide" contest.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Didn't it involve some stupidity like "nonono, we're not saying gay superheroes can't get married, we're saying NO superheroes can get married!" which threw a wrench in some other DC story?

Yeah which was suspiciously released after the outcry.

I mean this is enough of a derail as is but it makes me crossed-eyed angry, I was on board big with the New 52 stuff and then that happened and it all went to poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Drifter posted:

Hank is a Superdude AND a Robot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I hope the Martian Manhunter reveal is tomorrow they already spoiled it in their press releases

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yay! :neckbeard: I like this show a whole whole lot because it does its one job, which is having Supergirl punch increasingly dangerous things. Everything else is tolerable and I got to see a loving amazing live action Livewire, so yay!

Also I'm going to choose to believe they blew the effects budget for fights on Livewire and that's why Red Tornado was made out of spray painted Styrofoam. It helps me stay sane that way:stonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phylodox posted:

This was a pretty terrible episode, but goddamn if Benoist didn't sell that rageface at the end. She looked like she was going to rupture something*.

*Other than the robot.

That is not an expression you want Laser Death Beams coming out of, I'll tell you that. :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hahahahaha they did it. They actually made "Hank Henshaw" into the Martian Manhunter.

This show is trolling the entire thread and I love it. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

The episode hasn't hit here yet (over on the Left Coast), but I'm curious, does Henshaw say *why* he's adamant that Supergirl not find out about him? If anyone's gonna understand what you're going through...

"I got a bet going with Kal. $20 says it'll take her longer than a month to find out."

God drat that was a good episode. The fight scene with Vastra was... holy poo poo. That's how you do Kryptonian fights—big, goofy, overblown, and mysteriously no one gets hurt by the carnage. :allears: Also J'onn just keeps getting better. His gently caress YOU IMMA MARTIAN moment followed by blasting a dude through the chest with kryptonite lasers.

Sorry to the people who said this series would suck. There's still room left on the bandwagon, it's not too late :smug:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 15, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

adhuin posted:

There's a good chance that every series regular will know Henshaws secret before Kara. Including her boss.

I want Cat to know every secret already and reveal it in the sassiest manner possible.

;-* Ooooh, you're from Mars. Please. I eat enough M&Ms I practically own Mars.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Azhais posted:

What if they are hypnotic glasses? Then you just need to worry about nigh invulnerable guys messing things up for you

Dammit Batman now everyone will know Captain Sternn was hiding as Clark Kent

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gaz-L posted:

Flockhart and Harewood I think took some time for the writers to figure out how to use them best. They were a touch too abrasive in the pilot, but the series proper has been much better at giving them room to show more shades. Flockhart's performance in that balcony scene was great. Still with that aloofness/arrogance that Cat always has, but also persistent, pressing, but not aggressive or threatening. Less "Fess up or else!" and more "I know, and it's OK to admit it".

I think Cat's character hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves (:haw:) for warming up as a character on her own. She originally started as a scene-chewing antagonist but has slowly revealed why she's hardassed and come to realize/be reminded of the effect it has on people around her. It's not a coincidence her turning point as a character was her shocked "I didn't know you lost your parents" when she realizes she doesn't know poo poo about the woman who basically does everything for her.

Finding out Kara is Supergirl is kind of the payoff for that curve; she learns the "little guys" are sometimes the real major players.

Gaz-L posted:

Harewood was also pretty great in that little bit about the psychic powers. Just the right level of casualness with a tad of relief that he can actually talk about this with someone not wearing a cape finally.

Missed in all that (and even better) was him casually dropping hanging out with Supes. "Oh, yeah, it doesn't work on Kryptonians. Superman never lets me hear the end of it. :smug:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I assume it was pretty much entirely to get Kara to calm down and listen to her for a minute, because their encounters so far have gone: "Let's talk, I want to explain what I'm doing and why and I think you'll agre- oh come on, will you just stop punching me for one loving second?" Honestly, she's kind of coming across as a misunderstood anti-hero more than a villain.

Sure, as long as you're Kryptonian. Otherwise uh she's less sympathetic.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Senerio posted:

Even better, Dean Cain returns as crazy Cyborg Henshaw.

Oh my God this is amazing. All they'd need is some prosthetics and a smudge of CGI and ta da, Superman only metal.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Half Dean Cain, half Hank Henshaw.

Composite Superman/Superman

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't there another race that's like that too, the one Sodam Yat is a member of. Without the fire thing.

Daximites. They're an offshoot of Kryptonians that the Eradicator messed with to keep them from flourishing outside Krypton. :spergin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

That makes me happy. Best character.

It makes me sad all alone! :neckbeard:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo they finally resolved a "MUST KEEP THIS SECRET FROM YOU" in a sensible manner.

"You could've just told me! I can keep a secret!"
"NO YOU CAN'T"
":mad:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

V-Men posted:

Well, without knowing how much of his powerset will be used in the show, he could just go non-corporeal and then laugh as Non impotently swings his fists.

My favorite part of that was how smug he was being the entire time.

"I can't read his mind!"
"Maybe you're just really bad at it :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

i'm 39, educated, intelligent and i still have no idea what a verb or a noun is.

I have the same problems conjunctions

• Locked thread