Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Hey guys. I decided to do an LP of a romhack I made of FE8, which I made a topic about :
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749611

As the title implies, it reverses the recruitment order of your units. So Eirika and Lyon switch, Seth and Fado switch, Ephraim and Cormag switch, Innes and Marisa switch, etc.

Anyway, let's get started.

Prologue: The Fall of Renais

As you can see, I haven't edited the story cutscenes at all. As such, I'm skipping most of them.

SethFado gave Lyon a Rapier he can't use. You'll also notice I gave the Rapier infinite uses, something I've also done with Reginleif, Myrhh's Dragonstone, and th Sacred Treasures, because I feel unique weapons like those should have infinite durability. Lyon's got a pretty decent starting inventory. That Physic is useful. and will likely be used a bit as Lyon is your only healer for the first 8 chapters and you can't buy heal staves until chapter 5. Having a Hammerne right off the bat is nice too, for when your rare weapons get low on uses. Naglfar is a great weapon, though it's incredibly heavy. Lyon's current AS is zero because of it, not that it matters much because Lyon OHKO's almost every early enemy with it anyway.

Here's Lyon's starting stats. Lyon is probably the best character in this hack, and is more of a Seth than Fado is. I don't even think any enemies can actually damage him until around midgame. His growths have all been doubled because unlike the character he replaces, Eirika, he doesn't promote. Note that because Necromancer is a "promoted" class, he gains EXP very slowly early on. You may want to feed him boss kills to level him up faster.

Lyon's growths: HP 170 Mag 100 Skl 110 Spd 110 Lck 60 Def 90 Res 110

Here's your new Seth, who's nowhere near as useful. I have no idea how good he is because I've barely used him. Fun fact, since he replaces Seth and Lyon replaces Eirika, they can totally A support and get and ending. Have fun getting those homoerotic Lyon/Fado images out of your head now. His starting items are the same as Seth's so I didn't bother screenshoting them.

Fado's growths: HP 85 Str 55 Skl 40 Spd 30 Lck 25 Def 45 Res 25

Lyon gets first blood. Just look at that damage. :getin:

Here's Lyon pulverizing the poor sap. :allears:

Fado chugs a vulnerary to heal off the damage Seth took in the opening cutscene.

The other Fighter suicides on Lyon. Zero damage ftw.

This is both to show how OP Lyon is and how much Naglfar weighs him down.

And Lyon kills the boss to end the Chapter. I really like Naglfar's animation. Fun fact: in Norse mythology, Naglfar is a ship made of the finger and toenails of the dead.

And that wraps up the prologue. Let me know what you guys think as well as any suggestions for the future of this LP.

Matthewtheman fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It'll be awesome to see where it goes from here, OP. I was excited to see the news about your FE8 Reverse Recruitment hack before, but this just makes you a hero in my eyes. Here's hoping we see Seth come up and be a game changer here.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Wormskull posted:

It'll be awesome to see where it goes from here, OP. I was excited to see the news about your FE8 Reverse Recruitment hack before, but this just makes you a hero in my eyes. Here's hoping we see Seth come up and be a game changer here.

We won't be seeing Seth until waaaaaaaaaaay into Creature Campaign.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh hell yes. Awesome stuff OP... good luck with your lets play. Give em hell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Having the screenshots in an actually readable size would be a nice start.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

anilEhilated posted:

Having the screenshots in an actually readable size would be a nice start.

I thought they were quite readable myself, especially considering my eyesight is shite, but I can include bigger screenshots next update if you want.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Matthewtheman posted:

I thought they were quite readable myself, especially considering my eyesight is shite, but I can include bigger screenshots next update if you want.

Thank you.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
All right, I doubled the size of the screenshots in the OP. I'll get to work on chapter 1 after I get out of classes today.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

game on matthew

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
All right, here's the next part.

Chapter 1: Escape!

Lyon once again gets first blood. I'm mainly using him over Fado because Lyon will actually be a permanent part of my team, whereas Fado'll probably get benched eventually.

I love the pose Lyon makes in this shot, as if calling upon the might of a wrathful god to unleash his power upon this poor Fighter. God I love you Lyon.:allears:

The next turn Lyon gets an unnecessary crit on this soldier.

Meanwhile some new guys have joined our team. Valter here replaces Franz. Don't be fooled by that low base speed, Valter is a great unit and will quickly gain in speed due to good growth. He's notably rather tanky on the magical side for a Wyvern Rider.

Valter's growths: HP 80 Str 40 Skl 55 Spd 50 Lck 15 Def 20 Res 20

Here are his starting items. That Fili shield in particular will prove useful. We'll try to conserve that Spear.

Here's our other new recruit, Hayden, notably the only Creature Campaign character to not die in the regular game. He's the father of Tana and Innes, if you don't remember. He replaces Gilliam. He's a pretty decent unit, not outstanding, but he gets the job done. Those bases are pretty good at this point in the game.

Hayden's growths: HP 70 Str 40 Skl 45 Spd 45 Lk 40 Def 25 Res 25

Here's his item. We'll probably sell that White Gem next chapter.

Valter goes after this guy. Hot drat, soldiers are slow.

Here's the soldier doing a pitiful 2 damage to Valter before being put out of his misery. Notice the generic palette. He won't be getting a unique one until he gets promoted to Wyvern Knight.

Fado gets to see combat for the first time. With his 9 speed, I'm pretty sure he barely doubles this guy, not that he even needs to.

Here's a pic of Fado in action. I actually rather like his palette.

The other soldier goes after Valter. It doesn't end well for him.

Lyon kills the Fighter in front of the boss.

Meanwhile the rest of the crew goes out to meet the reinforcements about to arrive.

Valter says screw you to the weapon triangle. Spoilers: he misses.

So a very smeary Hayden has to kill this Fighter for him.

Meanwhile Fado kills the soldier.

Valter gets attacked by the remaining enemy on EP and actually manages to hit it this time.

And Lyon decides to kill the boss.

And ends up getting the first level up of the LP. Look at all those stats. I wasn't kidding when I said I doubled his growths. Expect more level ups like this outta him.

Now, before we finish this update...

Let's look at the two new units we got at the end of the chapter. Selena replaces Moulder, and is an excellent unit. Her base Mag is kinda low, but this is offset by her high base Speed, the low weight of Anima tomes, and her decent Magic growth, so if you use her enough, she should still one round things by the time you face enemies with actual resistance. She's definitely getting a slot as a permanent team member.

Selena's growths: HP 85 Mag 40 Skl 55 Spd 40 Lck 25 Def 20 Res 30

Here's her items. I'd avoid Bolting, as we're not at a point in the game where it's too useful, and it'll murder her AS, potentially letting enemies leave her in critical HP. Elfire should prove useful for enemies she doesn't one-round with Fire, though.

Here's Vanessa's replacement, Glen. He and Valter are pretty interchangeable as units tbh. Both are very good though. He starts with more Wyvern Rider-y stats than Valter.

Glen's growths: HP 85 Str 45 Skl 50 Spd 45 Lck 20 Def 35 Res 40

Here's his items. Whoopee another Gem to sell next chapter!

And that's it for this update. Until next time, readers.

Matthewtheman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 7, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It would be badass if you had the characters saying different lines also.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

net cafe scandal posted:

It would be badass if you had the characters saying different lines also.

Maybe in a future version, when I have the time to go through the entire script and edit it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dang and you would have to change everyone's facial expressions too. Not like you can just carry the one... I feel you.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is awesome

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
keep it up Matt

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump, whens the next update

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Tripleposting makes me cry, but I am interested to view the hilarious overkill that will be this run as it goes on.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone buy Matt a sweet av

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Black Baby Goku posted:

someone buy Matt a sweet av

I think it should be based on the lets play, maybe wait a few weeks to let something emerge naturally

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah agreed

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Valter is kicking some serious rear end here Matt.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

bump

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Can't wait to see who gets recruited in the next update.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bump

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

mabels big day posted:

Valter is kicking some serious rear end here Matt.

He'll kick even more rear end when he levels up some. Wait'll you see how Glen and Cormag do.

Also guys, don't expect more than one update per day, especially on weekdays. I do have college keeping me busy, plus I like to leave plenty of time for discussion between updates. On weekends 2 or 3 updates per day are a possibility, but don't count on it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hello Matthewtheman. Nice stuff. Quick question: what is everybody's XP gains like? Are they receiving the standard XP from these low level enemies or are they getting super reduced amounts because they're all endgame recruits?

- In Training

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm going to go ahead and guess that they're gaining standard exp as determined by their level; Valter as a level 1 Wyvern rider for example, would be getting probably around the standard 10 for a non-fatal exchange, and around 30-40 for a kill on a mook, but that's just my assumption/guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Hello Matthewtheman. Nice stuff. Quick question: what is everybody's XP gains like? Are they receiving the standard XP from these low level enemies or are they getting super reduced amounts because they're all endgame recruits?

- In Training

EXP gains are determined by class and level, not by character.

- Endorph

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep updating!

-BBG

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

EXP gains are determined by class and level, not by character.

- Endorph

This. You can find the calculations for EXP gain at the bottom of this page. Note that Manakete and Dancer count as unpromoted for the purposes of this formula, while Necromancer counts as promoted. Because of this, Lyon gains EXP really slow before promoted enemies start showing up, hence why I fed him the boss.

Also, hi Endorph. I loved your DDOP LP. I'm not sure if you ever realized this, but BersCorsaer probably came about because Mig64 did a blind Erk->Corsa find/replace. Of course, you probably did, but you never touched upon it in the LP afaik.

Also, expect an update soon guys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is p cool

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
By the way, as far as what classes I chose to demote pre-promotes into(other than ones w/only one class to demote into like Glen), I chose Mercenary for Hayden simply because it's more useful, though in hindsight Archer would probably make more sense, and I chose Mage for Selena because she's got a higher Anima rank than staff rank and only uses staves in CC anyway, exclusively using Anima when faced as a boss.
Chapter 2: The Protected

Let's start by looking at our new recruitable NPCs. Ismaire, Ross's replacement, is incredibly similar to Marisa. Their growths are extremely similar, with the only differences being Ismaire has -20 Luck(30 total) and +5 defense(20 total), and 55 Spd and 60 Skl as opposed to Marisa's 60 Spd and 55 Skl. As far as bases go, Ismaire is 4 levels lower, with -6 HP, +2 Str, -1 Skl, +1 Spd, -1 Lck, -1 Def. and +7 Res. For further comparison, a level 20/1 Swordmaster Ismaire will have =Con, -1 HP, +4 Str, =Skl, -1 Spd, -3 Lck, +1 Def, and +8 Res compared the base Marisa in this game, who starts as a Level 1 Assassin. So Ismaire's pretty much better in a vacuum, though Marisa has the advantage of being slightly dodgier, and an excellent pre-promote from the get-go, whereas getting a 20/1 Ismaire before you get Marisa (at least in "Lyon's route" which I'm taking, and it's completely non-negotiable btw, though I'll probably end up doing "Cormag's route" too) would require tower abuse and could always end up RNG screwed. I'm definitely using Marisa regardless though, because I have a huge bias towards her, but Ismaire might still get used. Not to mention that Ismaire's pitiful base HP severely hampers her early on.

Ismaire's growths: HP 75 Str 30 Skl 60 Spd 55 Lck 30 Def 20 Res 25

Here's her starting items. That Wind Sword is particularly useful, having good durability and 1-2 range. You'll notice the Master Seal now has 3 uses, a change I've made to all promotion items. I did it because I'd seen it done in a couple other hacks, thought it was neat, and wanted to make sure there were enough promotion items for everyone in this hack. Plus, since I didn't change the cost per use, extra promotion items make even better vendor trash than before, with a regular promotion item with full uses selling for 15000.

Riev replaces Garcia. I chose Monk over Priest for him because he has a higher Light rank when recruited in CC and doesn't even come with any staves. Not to mention at this point you already have Lyon as a staff user, and Riev's your only Light user for a while. Like Selena, he has a poor base magic with a good growth to make up for it, but because Light magic is weaker and heavier than Anima, he can't one-round things from the get-go like Selena. He really needs that Aura tome though, and will probably be using it even after you can buy Lightning tomes for him, or at least until his magic picks up.

Riev's growths: HP 75 Mag 45 Skl 50 Spd 40 Lck 15 Def 20 Res 45

We start the chapter by having Selena visit herself in a village for the lulz and a Red Gem. Between Riev, this village, Hayden, and Glen, you'll have gotten 4 gems by the end of this chapter, and should have a large amount of moneyz after selling them.:homebrew:

Glen rescues Ismaire so we can recruit her next turn.

Meanwhile Lyon gets in position to recruit her and Valter gets and Elixir from the other village.

Here's the army at the end of the turn.

A Brigand goes after Riev on EP, and Riev promptly dodges that poo poo and destroys 16 of his HPs.

He proceeds to finish 'im with Purge on AP.

We begin turn 2 by having Glen drop off Ismaire before heading towards the SW village, while Valter rescues Riev so we can recruit him next turn.

After being recruited by Lyon, Ismaire proceeds to chug a Vulnerary in order to heal off some of the damage she took in the opening cutscene.

Hayden goes ahead and sells his White Gem.

A Brigand foolishly chooses to attack him, whereupon he proceeds to use the good 'ol dodge and double strategy to murderize the heartless thug.

We then begin turn 3 with Valter dumping Riev and heading out to show an Archer why he's one flier they don't want to mess with. (Fili Shield is the answer)

Glen reaches the village, one I admittedly missed during my test run of this, prompting me to make sure I got it this run, even though I'll probably never use this Pure Water.

Ismaire recruits her "dad" Riev.

Selena Popcorns a Brigand. I can't wait to promote her so she'll stop looking like Nino wearing blue and start looking like Selena. Makes me wish that the prepromotes had special palettes for their base class in this game, so I wouldn't have to use the generic ones.

Lyon proceeds to make use of his niche summon ability because Wynaut. In the end, all it was good for was free EXP for Lyon, as when I sent the phantom to attack the Brigand there, both missed, and it proceeded to get killed by the Brigand on EP. The distraction it provided was of little help too, as I'll soon find leaving the Brigand on the mountain longer was a bad idea.

Riev sells his blue gem.

And we end the turn with this formation.

Valter shows this Archer the power of the Fili Shield.:getin:

Selena proceeds to begin our turn with a disappointing double miss. YOU HAD A 59% CHANCE TO HIT! THE ODDS WERE IN YOUR FAVOR!:argh:

Meanwhile, Lyon continues to be Lyon.

Valter proceeds to hit the Archer once and miss the second time because ofc he does. He gets a level out of it that I would be disappointed at had he not just proven to me that Skill is clearly a stat he desperately needs right now.

Riev finishes off the Archer with Purge as a way to vent my frustration.

Using my flawless tactics, I leave the Brigand trapped on the mountain.

The Brigand attacks Selena, who makes a halfhearted attempt at making up for her earlier blunder by proceeding to dodge that nonsense and hit him right back, but only hits him one of the times. But it's cool, she can just kill him on PP, right?

She certainly tries, but misses twice again because gently caress the RNG. :argh:

Glen makes a trip to the armory to sell his gem and then goes and sits on a fort. In hindsight, I probably should've bought him an iron lance while I was at it, but I bought him one after the chapter anyway, so whatevs.

:worship: Meanwhile his OPness Lyon continues to be godlike.

Meanwhile, Hayden manages to make up for Selena's blunder by letting me catch him in a cool frame of his animation as he kills the stupid loving dodgy Brigand that Selena couldn't. :byewhore:

Meanwhile, Valter tries to attack the boss and only proves that he still needs Skill(and I need to pay attention to the WT).

Fado ends the turn by buying some iron weapons.

The boss goes after Ismaire, who proves she's a myrmidon by dodging like it's nothing and proceeding to get an unnecessary crit on her second attack instead of her first where it would have been useful for more than cool factor.

And that's the end of the chapter. I did sell the red gem and buys a few weapons after, but nothing screenshot worthy. Somebody(can't remember who atm) also got a dropped vulnerary, but I was too slow to cap it, and it wasn't too important anyway.

Until next time, readers!

Matthewtheman fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 7, 2015

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
thank you Matt

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bump

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I went and edited the characters' growth rates into their descriptions. Currently working on Chapter 3.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Two Selenas.... :holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Chapter 3: The Bandits of Borgo

Here's Caellach, Neimi's replacement. He's your only unpromoted axe user for a while, and is excellent at killing soldiers. His Skl and Spd start off kinda low, but his growths in them are pretty good.

Caellach's growths: HP 85 Str 50 Skl 45 Spd 45 Lck 20 Def 30 Res 20

Here's his starting items. Knoll will appreciate that Hoplon Guard when we get him.

Caellach heads up to recruit Syrene next turn.

Selena kills a Brigand and gets a Door Key out of it, which will prove useful.

My formation at the end of the turn.

And Colm's replacement Syrene enters the scene. Not much to say other than she's a Pegasus Knight with Pegasus Knightlike stats, though with a rather high Str growth for a Peg Knight.

Syrene's growths: HP 70 Str 40 Skl 50 Spd 60 Lck 30 Def 20 Res 50

Here's her items. I gave her a door key, and gave Door and Chest keys 5 uses, solely to make up for the lack of a thief in this chapter that you otherwise would've had in the normal game.

Caellach recruits Syrene, who opens the door and flies ahead.

Lyon summons a phantom, which takes a chunk off this Brigand's health before getting killed.

The Brigand attacks Syrene and gets killed in response.

Caellach and Syrene get C support because Wynaut? It takes no effort as they literally can support right off the bat. Caellach/Syrene OTP

I end the turn with this formation.

Syrene opens this door so she can get the Chest key from that Brigand and start looting.

Lyon snipes this Brigand from across the wall, because that totally makes sense.

My disregard for the weapon triangle again bites me in the rear end. Syrene gets knocked down to critical health, though she does return the favor.

An Archer decides his life isn't worth living anymore and suicides on Lyon.

Lyon finally gets to put that Physic staff to use, giving Syrene a much-needed healing.

Syrene proceeds to finish off the Brigand for a Chest Key, while Selena unlocks the door.

Glen hastily Javelins this Thief before Riev finishes it with a Purge, because I don't want it stealing any of my items. During my test run, I had to start this chapter over because the Thief stole Valter's Fili Shield.

Valter once again decides to flip off the Weapon triangle, and it actually works this time!:woop:

Of course, he proceeds to miss when the other Brigand attacks him on EP.

Luckily Ismaire has WTA and the stats of a Myrmidon, as she defeats him with ease, and even gets a level out of it! Were it not for the fact that these are the two stats she needs most right now, I would be disappointed in this level.

Valter decides to use the WT to his advantage for once and kills the Merc by the boss.

Everyone starts heading for the boss, except Glen, who unlike Valter, actually cares about the WT and knows the boss would wreck his poo poo.

Selena Elfires the boss, letting Lyon finish him, who proceeds to get the second worst possible level he could possibly get in this hack(the only way it could be worse is if he failed his 90% defense proc). He seizes next turn.

And to wrap it up, here's the haul for this chapter.

Next time, we get (arguably) the best character in the game, the worst character in the game, and fight the wimpiest enemies in the game.

• Locked thread