Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
/?
Creek
Style
What?
No (im het)
View Results

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

mr.capps posted:

I always joked Butter and Randy should get a spinoff where its just them traveling the world for some reason.

gently caress that, make it Butters' dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The george zimmerman episode is funny I'm watching it again now.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Libertarian-Lessons-South-Park-Libertarianism-ebook/dp/B00CJ3FPO2/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

bless the internet

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 25, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wtf is this

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

quote:

I believe that Matt Stone and Trey Parker have influenced, whether it was their intention or not, a generation of young people to be more libertarian with their show South Park. They sum up their political beliefs with the following statement:

“I hate conservatives, but I really f***ing hate liberals.”

If this book works the way I intend, liberals and conservatives who read it will be libertarians when they finish it. I will use certain episodes as a point of departure to discuss certain issues. In some cases, I will use my experience in France to drive the point further. I will cite some prominent libertarians, but in many cases I don’t cite anything. As you read, you will notice that I spend more time trying to convince liberals to be fiscally responsible than I do trying to convince conservatives of being socially intolerant. That is because I believe that fiscal responsibility can be taught more easily than social tolerance. Social intolerance is often motivated by deep religious beliefs, and it is virtually impossible to change one’s religious beliefs.

For example, Rick Santorum is very conservative, and I don’t think anyone can convince him to be socially tolerant. In fact, Santorum recently said that the Republicans are losing elections because they’re not anti-gay enough. I’m more optimistic of influencing those who don’t feel very strongly about the liberal-conservative dichotomy.

My job in France gave me so much time off that I was able to contemplate the role of government in our lives. And I was able to come to many conclusions, which I discuss in this book, without having read anything about libertarianism beforehand. I used to be liberal, but then I realized that I was a libertarian all along. I just didn’t know it.

Each chapter from Chapter Two to Chapter Sixteen is named after an episode from South Park. The chapters begin with a description of the episode, in case you haven’t seen it. If you’re an avid South Park fan, you won’t need to read these of course. Some descriptions are longer or shorter than others. The subsequent subsections contain a libertarian lesson from that episode. The episode is used as a point of departure, and there are a few subsections that don’t pertain directly to the episode, but rather to the lesson in it. You will notice that a few chapters have more lessons than others. For example, Chapter Two contains many lessons discussed that could easily be discussed in other episodes. While many of the libertarian lessons of South Park are often repeated in multiple episodes, each lesson will be discussed only once, but they may be mentioned a few more times.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Thank god, a book to explain the most heavy handed messages in comedy television today

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

who would even read that poo poo other than idiot political science undergrads

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
at the very least 2 posters in this thread probably did

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

A stupid book for stupid people

E:

Norm's gone on David Miller's show a bunch and talked about how he hates big government and taxes, and how anyone in America can make it because bootstraps!

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 25, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yes. glad somebody is finally calling out south park on being a formulaic libertarian mouthpiece often times...

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sir_Charles posted:

who would even read that poo poo other than idiot political science undergrads

Per its sales rank it is being read at the rate of one copy per two weeks or so, and that includes free copies gotten through Amazon Prime.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
Norm can say whatever the gently caress he wants because he's the funniest person on the planet and that gives you certain privileges

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

proof of concept posted:

there's a very strong correlation between how much an episode has of stan's dad in it and how good that episode is, and that's been true for like a decade now

yes

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He's not wrong.

And you are a bigot.

I like how he edits out what people are saying to the asian girl and speaking for them, very credible that he isn't simply projecting onto black people how racist they can be when he's super racist himself

and then the weird trust fund rant?? this guy is a superstar

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He sees through all the lies, man. You can't handle the truth.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ahahahaha that redditor sounds exactly like south park hating goons, who are probably also the goons who write paragraphs about reddit being terrible

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
actually that reddit post is pretty spot on though i still like the show

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like the show always wants to engage in the conversation by shutting down the conversation

and it just kinda leaves me scratching my head cause if they feel that way why not just ignore it and just focus on the comedy

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i like jimy the retard

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

mr.capps posted:

like the show always wants to engage in the conversation by shutting down the conversation

and it just kinda leaves me scratching my head cause if they feel that way why not just ignore it and just focus on the comedy

they're the equivalent of people who when black people are protesting something are like "WHY DONT THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS TO GO TO"

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
anyone who forms their political opinions by what a comedy show tells them is probably dumb as gently caress

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

drat horror queefs posted:

anyone who forms their political opinions by what a comedy show tells them is probably dumb as gently caress

this

south park is a pretty good show that's nice to watch in small bursts, but i :ughh: every time someone tells me "man south park did an episode on it, you know it's important and it's gonna change things"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

mr.capps posted:

actually that reddit post is pretty spot on though i still like the show

exactly

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

Schweinhund posted:

they're the equivalent of people who when black people are protesting something are like "WHY DONT THESE PEOPLE HAVE JOBS TO GO TO"

No, they're the equivalent of people who make fun of people who shut down the conversation if it's going to places they don't like by being butthurt and controlling. So... pretty much those people I guess.

EDIT: Pretty much Goons I guess.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, they're the equivalent of people who make fun of people who shut down the conversation if it's going to places they don't like by being butthurt and controlling. So... pretty much those people I guess. :smug:

EDIT: Pretty much Goons I guess.

christ there goes that word again

its like a self-fulfilling prophecy :stare:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Race Realists posted:

christ there goes that word again

its like a self-fulfilling prophecy :stare:

christ, here goes someone trying to shut down a conversation again

it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The best Randy episode is More Crap and it's not even a loving contest, but Fantastic Easter Special is pretty good too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

christ, here goes someone trying to shut down a conversation again

was going to make an :iceburn: at your incredible lack of reading comprehension, but im legit curious how you came to this conclusion

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Cite three examples pls tia

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

Cite three examples pls tia

i feel the issue of Towelie and towel rights was not adequately addressed

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
jimy the criple is my favorite character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h1SB-A7R7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYpNpnkha5U

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Matt and Trey have always leaned right so I don't know what that Reddit human being is sperging about. just lmao. wahh this cartoon is destroying america because its nihilist

Oprah
Nov 26, 2015
Honestly, I'm very surprised that this cartoon is still going. Most libertarians get arrested in Korea for smoking weed, so these people are pretty drat slippery.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
the south park effect: http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/School-Denounces-South-Park-Inspired-Bullying-353881051.html

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ive bookmarked this link to read on the can

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i missed this weeks ep how was it

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
red heads are subhuman filth tho

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I only enjoy writing that aligns with my political views which is why I only read mein kampf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

hemophilia posted:

The best Randy episode is More Crap and it's not even a loving contest, but Fantastic Easter Special is pretty good too.

I liked the Shining parody where he bought the local Blockbuster.

• Locked thread