Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I loving hate chess. I don't get it, why does anyone play a game where have to memorize a ton of different openings to get to the part of the game where you are actually allowed to innovate and be creative?

Why would you play Chess when you can play Resistance Avalon? Chess is only for 2 players, but guess what? Resistance Avalon can be played with 10. Also you get to lie in Resistance Avalon. Its way more fun than chess. Chess loving sucks. In Resitance Avalon you can be Merlin, who is a Wizard. Wizards are cool. You get to know the bad guys if you are Merlin, but you have to be careful because the bad guys can assassinate you. Its more way more crazy in depth than chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
try tic-tac-toe, OP. chess is something that you have to kind of build up to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dad gay. so what posted:

try tic-tac-toe, OP. chess is something that you have to kind of build up to.

I don't want to build up to chess, I already said Resistance Avalon is better than Chess. Can you prove Chess is better than Resistance Avalon? No.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mr.capps posted:

I don't want to build up to chess, I already said Resistance Avalon is better than Chess. Can you prove Chess is better than Resistance Avalon? No.

i think thats a subjective opinion kind of like what i was saying in the other post. that you are too dumb for chess so you should try a childrens game instead because your intelligence is that of a child.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dad gay. so what posted:

i think thats a subjective opinion kind of like what i was saying in the other post. that you are too dumb for chess so you should try a childrens game instead because your intelligence is that of a child.

It takes a lot of intelligence to play a good game of Resistance Avalon, because you need intelligence to make deductions about how amoung your fellow players are the secret traitors who are sabotaging your missions. I think intelligence is about thinking creatively, which Resistance Avalon is all about, while in chess you barely get to that part until you memorize a bunch of stuff!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mr.capps posted:

It takes a lot of intelligence to play a good game of Resistance Avalon, because you need intelligence to make deductions about how amoung your fellow players are the secret traitors who are sabotaging your missions. I think intelligence is about thinking creatively, which Resistance Avalon is all about, while in chess you barely get to that part until you memorize a bunch of stuff!

i know how to read because i memorized the letters in the alphabet and the sounds they make. do you like to read, OP?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dad gay. so what posted:

i know how to read because i memorized the letters in the alphabet and the sounds they make. do you like to read, OP?

you know what, you can go ahead and keep calling me a child, because we know the truth is that you are the one playing with bobby fisher-price toys

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dad gay and mr capps facing off for one final, glorious battle. i can't believe i'm here to witness this

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I played a guy pretty regularly in chess in high school. Usually at the end of the day, where the teachers basically said do whatever until the last bell rang. This kid was the top of his grade and pretty damned smart, so 90% of the games involved me putting together a strategy, him sniffing it out in about five-six moves, and me running for my life until the last bell sounded. One day I played chess without really paying attention, since I was playing THE NEW POKEMON AT THE TIME, and since I didn't have a discernible strategy I was able to take advantage of a few of his mistakes and put him on the defensive. The bell saved his rear end that day, and he wasn't happy about it.

That's my chess story thanks good luck in your chess club

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i play chess because resistance avalon or whatever the gently caress sounds cool but lol if you think I have 9 other friends ready and willing to play some super nerd board game

Shinjobi posted:

I played a guy pretty regularly in chess in high school. Usually at the end of the day, where the teachers basically said do whatever until the last bell rang. This kid was the top of his grade and pretty damned smart, so 90% of the games involved me putting together a strategy, him sniffing it out in about five-six moves, and me running for my life until the last bell sounded. One day I played chess without really paying attention, since I was playing THE NEW POKEMON AT THE TIME, and since I didn't have a discernible strategy I was able to take advantage of a few of his mistakes and put him on the defensive. The bell saved his rear end that day, and he wasn't happy about it.

That's my chess story thanks good luck in your chess club

in middle school I did the 6-7 move checkmate thing on some kid like 4 times in a row. he saw it coming and just didn't know how to counter it (loving lol) and it was hilarious because he was getting mad after the 3rd time

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Chinese checkers is good. So is Go.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

play Go op, I mean I dont know anything about it but there was a thread and it seems to involve less strategy and subtle nuance and more beating guys to death with wooden boards

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

knight to bishop 3

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Nobody uses that notation anymore grandpa.

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
Chess Boxing is where its at. Nothing beats a battle of the mind and body.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
52 card pick up is the funnest game. You go to a sibling or cousin, say "hey, want to play 52 card pickup?" Then throw the deck everywhere and say "well, better pick all the cards up", then a parent yells at you and says that you need to pick it up and things get really awkward. Its pretty sweet IMO.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Chess is for smart people. It's very aggressive!

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
We used to play a lot of Axis and Allies. That's a fun game if you can only get 1-4 more mouth breathing nerds to join in instead of 10 for whatever that game is in OP.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

mr.capps posted:

you know what, you can go ahead and keep calling me a child, because we know the truth is that you are the one playing with bobby fisher-price toys

And now we know why this fag started the thread. How long you been waiting to use that line OP?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
have you ever played "pick up sticks", OP? that might be a little more your speed

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
mr. capps

are you a bad guy?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

OP you don't have to memorize opening boards if you are playing friends; unless your friends are all chess nerds who regularly play neither of you will have an advantage from that. You only have to memorize opening boards if you are trying to play competitively where yes, chess's opening space has been examined to death because it's small enough to do that. You could also insist on playing one of the chess variants like Shogi, Alice Chess, or Traitor Chess which seems more up your alley if your friends turn out to be chess prodigies who have the books in their head for normal chess.

Bonus variant if you absolutely must have more than one other person: Bughouse Chess. Only takes 4 and not 10 but you could try expanding it to 8 if you have that many people willing to go insane like that.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 10, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
diplomacy is actually the best game. it goes beyond simple "nuh-uh, stacy's the snitch" lies and into advanced treachery and double-crossing. henry kissinger's favorite game.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
chutes and ladders is good too

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Connect 4 is vertical therefore another dimension of challenging.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
king me bitch

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Connect 4 is vertical therefore another dimension of challenging.

I find connect 1 extremely difficult.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I never have any real plan so I mostly just move pieces until I feel threatened.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Bitches, get on my level. I play underwater Monopoly

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

king's knight to my butthole

checkmate

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
You can destroy any casuals you ever encounter in chess by simply playing a hyper modern opening. Watch them struggle in the middle game and lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Moridin920 posted:

i play chess because resistance avalon or whatever the gently caress sounds cool but lol if you think I have 9 other friends ready and willing to play some super nerd board game

Ya can play it with five doofus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also you can play resistance with all your goon friends online
http://www.theresistanceonline.com/

Unlike chess, which is so old fashion they never made an online mode

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Chess is kind of a lovely game imo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mr.capps posted:

Also you can play resistance with all your goon friends online
http://www.theresistanceonline.com/

Unlike chess, which is so old fashion they never made an online mode

False. Battle Chess let you play over modem and that was back in 1988, OP.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I will fight any of you at chess (and lose)

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
nice post ! :waycool:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
are the people with a chip on their shoulder about how much better known chess is than go here yet

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
trad games trip report: went looking for a chess thread. only found megathreads for dozens of variants of 40k and star wars. I guess the key to getting those posters interested in chess is turning the pieces into overpriced miniatures which they can sperg about painting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

trad games trip report: went looking for a chess thread. only found megathreads for dozens of variants of 40k and star wars. I guess the key to getting those posters interested in chess is turning the pieces into overpriced miniatures which they can sperg about painting

Don't go to trad james

• Locked thread