Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
I hate how often I look at my phone, searching for literally the most trivial, moronic distractions, especially when I know I should be paying attention to why I'm even compelled to do this.

For thousands of years, human beings did ok without a little piece of glass that flashed pictures and words at them when they got anxious or bored.

I think we could go back to that and see what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

People who get mad at phone lookers aren't so much mad at the specific person looking at their phone, but simply lamenting the age we live in and cultural changes that prefer constant streams of mindless entertainment like Infinite Jest while lacking the basic fundamental level of mindful appreciation of living

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Toadstrieb posted:

I hate how often I look at my phone, searching for literally the most trivial, moronic distractions, especially when I know I should be paying attention to why I'm even compelled to do this.

For thousands of years, human beings did ok without a little piece of glass that flashed pictures and words at them when they got anxious or bored.

I think we could go back to that and see what it's like.

This guy gets it

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
If you look every 5 minutes, you should learn to stop it, especially if you're speaking/discussing with people.

If you look every hour or so, no problems doing so in my opinion

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
every now and then i try to sit down on a bench somewhere and just enjoy the sounds of nature but after like 2 minutes im like "this is loving gay as poo poo" and i put my headphones back on.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rond posted:

If you look every 5 minutes, you should learn to stop it, especially if you're speaking/discussing with people.

If you look every hour or so, no problems doing so in my opinion

What if I only look once a day but don't at any point stop looking

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Commie NedFlanders posted:

This guy gets it

thank you :hfive:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

The technology and convenience is wonderful but often times we can become spoiled by our privilege.

I bet if people would experiment with not using phones or devices for a week they would find it difficult at first and then pleasant and easy.

We try too hard to fill every moment of our time with pointless minutiae, we forget how to appreciate the silence and emptiness behind it all. We experience it as anxiety and rush to fill the void with stuff but I think confronting it allows one to enjoy "extra dimensions and higher resolutions" of our experience (pardon my techno-analogy, it seems appropriate here)

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, people used to pull out their books and newspapers all the time while driving or sitting with their friends at a bar or in movie theaters

Let's just keep saying that dumb poo poo over and over until it doesn't seem retarded anymore

Edit also people got along for millions of years without phones so let's all run out into the woods and get infested with guinea worm parasites and eat poo poo and berries it would be somehow helpful I'm sure faaarrrrt

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

every now and then i try to sit down on a bench somewhere and just enjoy the sounds of nature but after like 2 minutes im like "this is loving gay as poo poo" and i put my headphones back on.

I think mindfulness is a lot like exercise. It's aight at first but quickly becomes boring or just plain unpleasant. it can feel dreadfully boring or just plain painful but if you push through it you start to feel like

It's good that you easily find it enjoyable at first, you should try to push it and see where it takes you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

O.M.G. :swoon:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Tujague posted:

Yeah, people used to pull out their books and newspapers all the time while driving or sitting with their friends at a bar or in movie theaters

Let's just keep saying that dumb poo poo over and over until it doesn't seem retarded anymore

Edit also people got along for millions of years without phones so let's all run out into the woods and get infested with guinea worm parasites and eat poo poo and berries it would be somehow helpful I'm sure faaarrrrt

When the first cold front came this year I sat in my front yard and just enjoyed the breeze and the trees for a lil bit and yeah mang I got this huge assworm and dysentery it was so savage I felt like a real nativr American

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ahundredbux posted:

why parents are the type of people who sit around looking at their phone or ipad or wahtever all the time it cracks me up when i hear stories about how its ruining todays kids

i constantly hear professors talking about how it's ruining the youth then they check their phone (not even an android what a fuckin noob) while we are taking tests

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
I like to look at my phone in public so no one thinks I'm a weirdo.

Gotta fit in the crowd, you know?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

extra stout posted:

i constantly hear professors talking about how it's ruining the youth then they check their phone (not even an android what a fuckin noob) while we are taking tests

I don't think kids should drink alcohol but I enjoy a good drink :shrug:

Aug 4, 2010

nice nonconsenting kiss, please nsw rape content if you're gonna post it

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Mokbek posted:

I like to look at my phone in public so no one thinks I'm a weirdo.

Gotta fit in the crowd, you know?

Lol you think a crowd of people staring at their phones cares about you?

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Tujague posted:

Edit also people got along for millions of years without phones so let's all run out into the woods and get infested with guinea worm parasites and eat poo poo and berries

I wish most people would do this tbh.

For real though, smoking cigarettes is a relatively modern novelty, and I bet you wouldn't want to go back to 1950s era "you can chain smoke in the cabin of a plane" levels of secondhand cancer. There are better and worse conditions.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

If that had been a farting rear end instead of a Korea man it would have been preferable to me even tho the Korea Nan is pretty close already to the thing I said lololol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toadstrieb posted:

I wish most people would do this tbh.

For real though, smoking cigarettes is a relatively modern novelty, and I bet you wouldn't want to go back to 1950s era "you can chain smoke in the cabin of a plane" levels of secondhand cancer. There are better and worse conditions.

Are you saying that smartphones fight second hand smoke

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
People can't even sit through a movie without checking their phone.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I think phones are cool but I don't like it when people start looking at their phones as an excuse to walk away and stop listening to my hilarious comedy jokes and stories.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

if someone's not actually in a situation that requires their attention right that second, who cares where they direct it? it's not like continuing that into rudeness is genuinely new either - the older gent who keeps staring at his paper while having a conversation with his wife at the dinner table isn't any more respectable than a kid talking while staring at their phone. sure, the phone is more portable and generally useful than a newspaper which is why younger people will pull them out even where in the past nobody would whip out a book or w/e but you bet your rear end if that old guy had grown up with phones instead of papers he'd be using them everywhere too.

basically, it's a social awareness problem, not a tech problem; the tech just enables what was already there to flourish rather than be quashed by the daily struggle to not starve and the relative paucity of information to sift through. teach your kids that it's important to be aware enough to recognize quickly that it's time to put down the phone and when not focus on it in the first place and 99% of the time they'll be fine

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

like I don't usually even care if someone's texting at a movie since they usually hold their phones down near their lap where you can't see it unless you're really trying to steal a good look at their groin area

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

eric posted:

People can't even sit through a movie without checking their phone.

i remember being in the theater watching the two towers for the third time and thinking 'this still FUCKIN OWNS' because i didn't even own a cell phone because i didn't need one and my life was wonderful

i rarely go to movies now because they're bad and im cheap and the one good one that comes out every season i go and sit down and it's a half dozen teens glowing in the dark making references to 'drake' when smaug was clearly a dragon

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I occasionally have dinner with my whole family, within minutes of being seated every one of us is either on an iPad or smart phone; I don't need to talk to those people so I think this is a good thing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kuato posted:

I occasionally have dinner with my whole family, within minutes of being seated every one of us is either on an iPad or smart phone; I don't need to talk to those people so I think this is a good thing.

Beats the gently caress out of having a knock down loving argument with your parents over Thanksgiving dinner.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Are you saying that smartphones fight second hand smoke

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

extra stout posted:

i remember being in the theater watching the two towers for the third time and thinking 'this still FUCKIN OWNS' because i didn't even own a cell phone because i didn't need one and my life was wonderful

i rarely go to movies now because they're bad and im cheap and the one good one that comes out every season i go and sit down and it's a half dozen teens glowing in the dark making references to 'drake' when smaug was clearly a dragon

*Maple and sagely nod*

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Beats the gently caress out of having a knock down loving argument with your parents over Thanksgiving dinner.

Honor thy mother and father :ramsay:

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker

Lol you think a crowd of people staring at their phones cares about you?

They don't because I'm also staring at my phone. See where I'm going with this?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Mokbek posted:

They don't because I'm also staring at my phone. See where I'm going with this?

They don't care either way unless you block their view of their Facebook feed

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker

They don't care either way unless you block their view of their Facebook feed

Exactly! I'm too busy looking at my phone!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
if it's like a book and i can read a story all about me how the gently caress could i not put it down??

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm looking at my weener it's big and nice and good, the OP's mom told me so lol

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Tujague posted:

this guy gets it

for maximum passive agressive goonage, carry around a newspaper and read it whenever the other person is doing their snapchat or whatever

they wont notice but you can post a thread about it i guess

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nooner posted:

I'm looking at my weener it's big and nice and good, the OP's mom told me so lol

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Millenials are so terrified of being bored that they forget that the majesty of creation is right in front of them beckoning them to embrace their freedom and becoming.

Instead of soaking in the truth of something divine and simple like a meadow at dusk, they drive themselves into a nihilistic spiritual oblivion by withdrawing from the world and seeking validation from Facebook likes and minion memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpdPSpzdGg

Huh huh yeah right ya know? Like get out there and play with some sticks, play kick the can, roll a hoop with a stick down a dusty road. Basically reenact the script from Stand By Me.

• Locked thread