Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Coaches Poll
code:
1.  Clemson
2.  Alabama
3.  Iowa
4.  Notre Dame
5.  Oklahoma
6.  Michigan State
7.  Baylor
8.  Ohio State
9.  Florida
10. Oklahoma State
11. North Carolina
12. Stanford
13. Michigan
14. Florida State
15. Navy
16. TCU
17. Northwestern
18. Oregon
19. Ole Miss
21. Houston
22. Mississippi State
23. UCLA
24. Temple
25. Utah

Others Receiving Votes
LSU 82; Toledo 69; Wisconsin 58; Texas A&M 54; Pittsburgh 46; Georgia 34; Southern California 27; 
Western Kentucky 12; Arkansas 7; Air Force 6; West Virginia 6; Bowling Green 5; Brigham Young 5; 
San Diego State 3; Appalachian State 2; Arkansas State 1.
I didn't forget 20, there's no 20 listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SEC losses are quality losses, duh!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Highest ranking since the last regular season poll of 2002

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
#3 ranked Iowa

What a time to be alive

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Even ASU's blowouts are nailbiters. It's exhausting, but at least the Sun Devils beat the cats. That's probably the only good to come from this season, but it's important.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At least every loss on the schedule is to a top 25 team.

Although the great and wonderful BOB, run off before his time, managed to, you know, win a couple of games against top 25 teams.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Gameday's visiting Oklahoma-Oklahoma State next week

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The fact that LSU is still considered to be 26th proves how terrible and pointless the coaches' poll is.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm happy to see OU at 5 but will be crushed when we beat OSU and remain at 5 :(

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pook Good Mook posted:

The fact that LSU is still considered to be 26th proves how terrible and pointless the coaches' poll is.

Every poll is terrible, they just have varying degrees of pointlessness.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I still legitimately think that Leornard Fournette is the best runningback in the country.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I hope LSU fire Les Miles and hire some dogshit coach and have 10 years of misery

Derek Dooley for LSU hc

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

A Millen Buckaroo posted:

And who's fault is it that they are one dimensional? No matter who the OC has been the last couple of years it's been the same poo poo. On D they lose Chavis, and while I still think it was time for both sides to move on, they hire a much shitter option.

At this point, LSU is probably trending down with Miles as the coach anyway.

You were responding to an Ole Miss fan. They feed on LSU anguish since they've never won any titles of their own. They're not the most reasoned bunch.

The bottom line is that you (unlike plenty of other posters) have been paying attention. Any of the coordinators under Les have all fielded similar offenses, despite having varying backgrounds. At some point, you've got to realize that Les is exercising some control over the offense. I think a few years back, during the SEC media days, one of the coaches from another team (the quotes are always published anonymously) said that's why they loved playing LSU: there was never a guessing game on defense because they knew what LSU was going to call in the huddle.

And for those LSU fans who say, "Oh yeah? Remember the 90's?" Yes. Yes, I do. I lived through it. I attended many games where the stadium was not filled to capacity. I remember the embarrassing losses.

When Nick Saban came to LSU, he realized something: a big part of LSU's lack of success was that Louisiana was being recruited well by plenty of other schools. LSU wasn't one of them. He turned that around. Pleasantly, Miles has been able to continue that trend. But that's not the problem.

Aside from the offensive issues (QB, anyone?) that continue to plague the team, Miles' teams CONTINUE to display a complete lack of football awareness. I told anyone who'd listen that LSU is prone to delay-of-game penalties coming off of big gains and committing penalties immediately after timeouts. Both happened yesterday as I figured they would. A wealth of untimely penalties have been the signature of this team for a long time. This poo poo has become gospel with the team and it's time for a change. I'll take one of either Jimbo Fisher or Dan Mullen, please.

Oh, and fire Kevin Steele into the loving sun. What a sorry bill-of-goods this guy is. First time in LSU history that they've given up 20+ points in 9 straight games. That's loving phenomenal. The ST coach, Bradley Peveto: I want to see this man commit sepaku. As awful as that would be, I'd sit through it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

LeeMajors posted:

I am dying laughing over the symmetry of Urbans rise/fall at OSU.

Who will be the John Brantley of 16?

UF is awful but ill take 10-1 over 4-8.

Winning ugly is still winning--even if FSU and Bama are going to grind us into fairy dust.

What fall exactly? We have the same record as last year but keep holding on to that hate. Ohio State is going to be just fine.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How messed up would the coaching carousel get if LSU also entered the race, especially if they are willing to float the 15 million to get rid of Miles and staff?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

How messed up would the coaching carousel get if LSU also entered the race, especially if they are willing to float the 15 million to get rid of Miles and staff?

LSU better have someone already willing to say "yes". Not gonna' be as easy to land a good candidate if they haven't even talked to anyone yet.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Iowa opens -2.5 over Nebraska. Pretty much a pickem according to Vegas. Should be an amazing game. Nebraska is the healthiest it's been since game 1/2 where they were suddenly playing with 8 starters out on defense.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Paul Rhodes has been fired, will still coach next game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rad Valtar posted:

What fall exactly? We have the same record as last year but keep holding on to that hate. Ohio State is going to be just fine.

08-09-10 UF. It appears to be the common Meyer trajectory--rampant success, departure of OC (mastermind!), milquetoast coronation year with disappointing late season kill-shot loss, widespread player dissatisfaction...

You just need a 5 loss '16 and chest pains to make it entirely the same.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rad Valtar posted:

Urbs won a national title in 2006 and by 2008/9 completely lost control of the team, and when he left the team was in shambles. Just because you're winning doesn't mean everything else isn't totally hosed, as was the case with Florida.

At least I think that is what he is referring to.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Meyer could take on Schotty, he might be on the market at the end of the season :v:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I see it overreaction Sunday even on TFF. Jesus Christ.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rad Valtar posted:

I see it overreaction Sunday even on TFF. Jesus Christ.

If you're ignoring the similarities in the trajectory of Urban's tenure at OSU, that's your journey. It may well end differently, but as of now it's pretty hilarious.

I doubt OSU will let him out of his buyout so he can anchor at ESPN for awhile, finding himself or whatever.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I am irrationally salty for the lack of Wazzu in these polls

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Bad Moon posted:

I am irrationally salty for the lack of Wazzu in these polls

I thought it was obvious that they were the #20 mystery team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

If you're ignoring the similarities in the trajectory of Urban's tenure at OSU, that's your journey. It may well end differently, but as of now it's pretty hilarious.

I doubt OSU will let him out of his buyout so he can anchor at ESPN for awhile, finding himself or whatever.

He has lost literally one regular season big ten game ever

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Checked ESPN and you're right! WSU #20! I just assumed it was just us getting dismissed as our lot in life.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

He has lost literally one regular season big ten game ever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

limeincoke posted:

Iowa opens -2.5 over Nebraska. Pretty much a pickem according to Vegas. Should be an amazing game. Nebraska is the healthiest it's been since game 1/2 where they were suddenly playing with 8 starters out on defense.

Well it's at Nebraska so in theory it'd be -4.5 on a neutral field, but yeah seems like pretty much a toss up to me. Nebraska getting a bye week right before while Iowa has a short week is kinda lovely

I don't think they're going to change conferences anytime soon

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

N: roll tide

V: bitch

Alabama beat its top ten opponent so badly that it pulled Derrick Henry after two drives, and all the starters in the second quarter. We even had our punter attempt a FG (he missed)

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Rumor has it that some LSU boosters are putting money up for LSU to buy out Jimbo Fisher

Other rumors for the new LSU coach include Dabo (lol), Gary Patterson, and Jon Gruden (lmao)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I don't think they're going to change conferences anytime soon

My point is that Meyer lost one game in 08-09 (incidentally in a far tougher conference) and still felt gutted and worthless--and the '10 campaign bore that out.

It looks like a similar trajectory at the moment. It's not a huge leap. And it's hilarious.

Also, LSU getting Jimbo would be hilarious and I would love it--but I doubt it'll happen. FSU is a pretty damned good gig.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Spintzel posted:

Rumor has it that some LSU boosters are putting money up for LSU to buy out Jimbo Fisher

Other rumors for the new LSU coach include Dabo (lol), Gary Patterson, and Jon Gruden (lmao)

They should really be looking at Mullen.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

LeeMajors posted:

Tim Beck has revealed himself to be a murderer of sorts, you may be on to something here.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
dont know why osu fans are mad, beck and warinner are really cool and i like them

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Spintzel posted:

Jimbo wouldn't be a good fit at LSU because his QBs aren't garbage*

*in college.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Jimbo wouldn't be a good fit at LSU because his QBs aren't garbage

Umm.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Yeah I know im just salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yeah I know im just salty

I don't think it'll be easy to sway Jimbo from FSU. He's got a great gig there and will be able to constantly be in the mix for the ACC title and an invite into the playoffs.

I'd love to have him, but if not, I'd really like to see LSU push hard for Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson.

• Locked thread