Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

With regards to this discussion in the last thread; I think the main issue with a lot of the plot threads in season 5 was that the pacing was all over the place. It was a very slow season which then wrapped everything up in 2 episodes and it really suffered from it. I think Brienne's choice worked well enough in the show in that moment but like it's been said there was a lack of consequences. Maybe if they'd postponed the wedding and Sansa had seen what was in store for her, so that the rape and beatings followed immediately after Brienne left her post to pursue Stannis it would have more weight.

One of my friends summed it up by saying the pacing was like a Tolkein book. 10 pages of bullshit about a meal followed by a paragraph about an epic 4 day battle.

We got boring dinner conversations and whispers about the north remembering and a 30 second fight in which Stannis' army was crushed. At least we got the amazing episode where Jon killed a white walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dolash posted:

In the books, Alliser is sent on a ranging after Slynt's execution and Alliser angrily believes Jon's just getting rid of him (since he could execute Alliser if he refuses), then says he'll be coming back for Jon one way or another. It's entirely fitting for his character in the book that if he weren't sent on a suicide mission he'd have joined the conspiracy.

People were fond of the idea of Alliser not joining the conspirators in the show because since he's been painted as an rear end in a top hat and Jon's Night Watch rival, having him join the attack makes both them and him seem like plain old villains. If he doesn't join in, though, then the audience is more inclined to think about the conspirators' motivations since they don't just line up with being an rear end in a top hat. That job was mostly done in the show by Ollie, since he's meant to be sympathetic, but a lot of fans (on Something Awful, at least) can't get past him being a show-only character and that quote about Hill so it's not a popular move.

The dumb thing though is that in the show Alliser was a better character than in the books. in the books he's just a fuckhead, in the show he at least had some more depth, like on the wall where he's asking Jon Snow what he thinks about him as a leader and pretty much gives him a bit of a heavy is the head that wears the crown speech, then he goes and fights like a bad rear end to do his duty. Better characterisation for him and more fitting with his arc would have been for him to be held back by someone while Jon is stabbed, or not in the scene at all. Having him thrust the knife just takes away all the development for the worse.

His character is a cool idea in concept, a knight who defended the city but got sent to the wall simply because his side lost and then ends up training the bastard of one of the guys who's idea it was to send him there and later ends up having to answer to him.

I dunno why but how they took his character in the show and built him into someone who should have been a supporter even if begrudgingly of Jon's to one of his assailants was kind of dumb.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

computer parts posted:

Because it explicitly Does Not Happen in the books (it uses different characters in the same role) and there's very little way logistically to get Sansa from touring the Vale to the Wall or wherever she's going to be in Season 6.

The only scenario I can think of is that the show has Brienne find Sansa & Theon and decide that the safest place for her is back with Littlefinger. But that doesn't make sense, because he's the guy that wed her to the rapist in the first place.

In the books Baelish is planning to marry Sansa to harry the heir and kill off robin/robert so he controls the north and the east. In the books he'll have more than enough men to do so. In the show it's just as easy to have Sansa and theon run into jon snow as he marches south to winterfell for justice or whatever, throw the boltons out on their rear end and install Sansa as lady until Rickon gets brought back. She won't need to marry Harry the heir in the show at all because she'll have just had a force throw the biggest threat out on their rear end and you would think the inclusion of the umbers and I would assume some houses loyal to targs we've seen banners for could leave enough numbers there to garrison winterfell.

It's a roundabout way but it sounds like the plot to Marry Sansa to Harry the heir from the books is still a fair way off happening as there's only been one leaked chapter where she flirts a little bit with him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Thats not how name days work

It actually is in some cultures. In some parts of Samoa children aren't issues birth certificates until they're baptised. I knew a dude from highschool who's birth certificate said he was 17 but was actually 20. I think it's less common now days, and the discussion is kind of pointless because of the above with the rebellion dates but it's not unheard of.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tin can made man posted:

So glad to see the Histories and Lore already on the ol' tube. Art quality has dipped in a lot of segments (barristan, yikes), but there's a 22 minute section on the Dance of the Dragons and it's excellent. They dig deep and have Michelle Fairley, Mark Addy, Pedro Pascal, and Harry Lloyd do narration, which is a really strange mix for the subject matter but they choose excellent vignettes and tones for each; Viserys petulantly whinging about the simultaneous glory and incompetence of Targaryens past, Oberyn basically VAing for Daemon, Catelyn narrating the Blood and Cheese affair which, in all the macabre, I had completely neglected that it was essentially a story of two mothers' grief, rage, and madness.

Got a link?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJVVwWN2zNY

Channel has all the other blu-ray stuff to boot.

cheers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lifts cats over head posted:

I thought there were some suggestive statements indicating Tywin was consulting a maester about some health concerns? The thing I like about the theory is it helps make some of Oberyn's choices make sense. If you assume he came to King's Landing to kill Tywin and the Mountain, killing one and then demanding trial by combat to face the other makes sense.

There's a whole lot of evidence someone with more time than me wrote out:

quote:

“Where will I find my lord father?”
“In the solar with Lord Tyrell and Prince Oberyn.”

Mace Tyrell and the Red Viper breaking bread together? Strange and stranger.
—Jaime and Ser Meryn Trant, upon Jaime’s return to King’s Landing

“Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.”
—Grand Maester Pycelle, during Tyrion’s trial

“To be sure, I have much to thank your sister for. If not for her accusation at the feast, it might well be you judging me instead of me judging you.” The prince’s eyes were dark with amusement. “Who knows more of poison than the Red Viper of Dorne, after all?”
[…]
“Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”
Something about the way he said it made the hairs on the back of Tyrion’s neck bristle. Suddenly he was mindful of Elia again, and all that Oberyn had said as they crossed the field of ashes.
He wants the head that spoke the words, not just the hand that swung the sword
. “It is not wise to speak such treasons in the Red Keep, my prince. The little birds are listening.”
“Let them. Is it treason to say a man is mortal?
Valar morghulis
was how they said it in Valyria of old.
All men must die
. And the Doom came and proved it true.”
—Prince Oberyn Martell and Tyrion, in Tyrion’s cell

He found his father where he knew he’d find him, seated in the dimness of the privy tower, bedrobe hiked up around his hips.
[…]
For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosened in the moment of death.
Well, he was in the right place for it
, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, poo poo gold.
—from Tyrion’s assassination of Tywin during his escape from the black cells

The King’s Hand was rotting visibly. His face had taken on a greenish tinge, and his eyes were deeply sunken, two black pits. Fissures had opened in his cheeks, and a foul white fluid was seeping through the joints of his splendid gold-and-crimson armor to pool beneath his body.
[…]
Red-eyed and pale, Cersei climbed the steps to kneel above their father, drawing Tommen down beside her. The boy recoiled at the sight, but his mother seized his wrist before he could pull away.“Pray,” she whispered, and Tommen tried. But he was only eight and Lord Tywin was a horror. One desperate breath of air, then the king began to sob.“Stop that!” Cersei said. Tommen turned his head and doubled over, retching. His crown fell off and rolled across the marble floor. His mother pulled back in disgust, and all at once the king was running for the doors, as fast as his eight-year-old legs could carry him.
“Ser Osmund, relieve me,” Jaime said sharply, as Kettleblack turned to chase the crown. He handed the man the golden sword and went after his king. In the Hall of Lamps he caught him, beneath the eyes of two dozen startled septas. “I’m sorry,” Tommen wept. “I will do better on the morrow. Mother says a king must show the way, but the smell made me sick.”
This will not do. Too many eager ears and watching eyes.“Best we go outside, Your Grace.” Jaime led the boy out to where the air was as fresh and clean as King’s Landing ever got. Twoscore gold cloaks had been posted around the plaza to guard the horses and the litters. He took the king off to the side, well away from everyone, and sat him down upon the marble steps. “I wasn’t scared,” the boy insisted. “The smell made me sick. Didn’t it make you sick? How could you bear it, Uncle, ser?”
—Jaime, Cersei, and Tommen, during Tywin’s funeral.

I’m just saying: means, motive, opportunity.

Either way it doesn't matter much whether or not he was poisoned in the scheme of things either he wrote it that way deliberately and it's a cool little nod to Oberyn being a bad rear end, or its coincidence, who cares.

Gettin' hype for the season.

lifts cats over head posted:

True but the fight was for Tyrion and he would have had no way of knowing that that the trial would come about unless he knew someone of note would die. Or he just seized the opportunity when it arose which is also possible.

When Oberyn came to take his seat at the council he had already made his intentions known of wanting both Elia's killer and whomever gave the order. The assumption was that Oberyn would have been given the mountain at some point, likely Tywin was going to drag out giving him the Mountain for as long as humanly possible and secure his families hold the kingdom by whatever means he could i.e. The only thing that matters was the perception of Tywin as innocent. Oberyn saw his opportunity to get revenge with his own hands when Tyrion demanded trial by combat and took it. His efforts to get The Mountain to name Tywin was to drive a wedge between the Dorne and Lannister alliance.

Remember at this point Dorne is simmering a little bit with one half of the kingdom wanting to go to war, the other half wanting peace. Oberyn and Doran are at odds over this with Doran preaching patience - hoping his ploy to marry Danny and whatshisface who gets cooked comes off allowing Dorne and Danny to rally Targ loyalists etc and do what they do later.

Oberyn's ploy trying to get Tywin named is pretty much to throw that alliance into disarry because Doran would have to respond. So Oberyn isn't exactly a mastermind here but he's pretty much trying to force his brother to attack or at least to act with some kind of immediacy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just thinking, wouldn't that scene with Davos etc been so much better if there was pyp, grenn and ed standing with Davos instead of a bunch of people we don't recognise.

It's not that hard a scenario though, homie dies and he's brought inside, Davos goes to "pay his respects" or whatever and the red woman says "hey just wait up before you bbq that bloke" and then allisers like "nah we gotta burn him bros" cue scene.

I would think we probably have to wait till end of ep 2 before he gets rezzed. Ep 1 is too likely to be leaked and I can't remember anything big being done in ep1 ever.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It would've been cool to see three bad rear end knights in white armor with plain white shields but I can live with it being Targ soldiers or whatever instead. It's not really the most important part of the scene.

Also in the battle scene there's a flayed man banner (mis identified as tully) in the imgur link, but to the right of that there's an all red banner with a lighter device on the side which would point to house Umber, in the show they've already shown the flag as that colour red with the black outlined grey broken chains crossing it. Umber is confirmed as cast in this one.

So I would think, Davos rallies the north, raises stark banners and Wildlings with or without Jon Snow and rides to winterfell, the umbers having Rickon in their charge turn their cloaks and that's how the Boltons lose?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

I am a bit conflicted over this. As someone else said, I really like Sansa absorbing the roles of other characters to make her story a little bit more interesting. The problem is...they made quite a mess.

Season 4 ends with Darth Sansa. Then halfway through season 5...SCREW THAT! Victim again! And now she is supposed to go back to Darth Sansa?

Sansa getting raped had to happen since she absorbed the role of Jeyne Poole. However, it could have been handled so, SO much better in order to not undermine her character growth the previous season. Here is what a couple of friends and I came up with more or less:

- Sansa marries Ramsay and he tries to rape her.
- However, Sansa fights back and tells him something of the sort "Touch me again and I will make you regret it".
- Ramsay laughs and asks "What are you going to do? Kill me?"
- Sansa answers "Not you. Me. If I die before I give you a child, you lose the North. How do you suppose your Lord Father would react?"
- Sansa completely cements her status as Darth by completely shutting off Ramsay out of all people
- Later that season Roose finds out that the marriage has not been consumated. He invites Sansa to have supper with her and drugs her. He has Sansa tied to the bed and has Ramsay rape her (cause despite the show trying to divert the audience's hate beams toward Ramsay, Roose is the biggest monster of them all)

That's pretty dumb and not go to far into this side of poo poo, but complaining about someone who's been a victim for years not fighting off a rapist because she's decided to be stronger is pretty spergy victim blaming.

Her trying to be tough and failing is character development, not wiping it away. It might come as a surprise to you but most people when they try to change their personality end up falling back into bad habits really, really quickly. Her resilience at the end of the season with her marching to the tower, placing the candle and jumping from the battlements is her redemption. She's not weak, she's been a puppet. She was cersei's puppet, then she was littlefingers, then the Bolton's her arc isn't about finding her strength of kill or to fight, her arc is about her taking control of her future, that's exactly what was shown. She goes from being reactionary to everything around her to taking charge of her future.

The whole arc isn't that poorly executed. The whole reaction and handwringing over a character in a fictional show being raped in a fairly tame scene was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen on the internet. She made a commitment to whatever was necessary and stumbled. If anything her arc becomes better because of it and she seeks revenge independently of littlefinger or anyone else like she should have been doing all along.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There aren't any Weirdwoods that far south, right? Maybe they're totally dropping the Need Weirwoods for Telepathy thing?

Only place they wouldn't grow is the Iron Islands and most were cut down or burned but not all. It's also pretty feasible there'd be one there since there's a good chance Lyanna and rhaegar wed in front of a weirwood since there's no septon involved and she kept the old gods.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lycus posted:

The amount of book-stuff in this season is being exaggerated, though. It's not gonna be close to half.

Jamie in riverlands
Davos rallying support
Sansa being stoneheart
arya ganking fools

should all be pretty cool.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Just a spoiler for you guys: Jaime's name is Jaime, not Jamie. Ramsay's name is Ramsay, not Ramsey. Hope this helps in future posts.

Spoiler for you: autocorrect can be fucky.

http://teamcoco.com/video/first-loo...iwiaWQiOjg5MDV9
Sam owns

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone looks like Dinklage next to Turner.

Most of the younger male cast are fairly small dudes, Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson, Alfie Allen dude who played Robb are all pretty small dudes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think HBO has always been different (maybe not?) but didn't it used to work by you'd do a pilot, it would get ordered for 13 eps, then you'd get the back 9 and that would be the full 22 ep run. 5 seasons got you syndication and that was the goal of most big shows and that seemed to be standard.

The writers strike seems to be the catalyst for a lot of shows changing to 13 episode seasons and I can't think of any show that doesn't do a 13 ep (or shorter) run now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Season 5 was awful but Seasons 1-4 were great. So I'm foolishly going to keep watching. Also I have nothing better to do with my life.

Having watched all 5 seasons not that long ago, it's still pretty good. The bad is just super bad. All of dorne, (except Bronn Bronning) just really, really pulled it down badly. Barristan being fat and dying was also pretty lame even if he did go down with a pretty sweet K/D.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In fact HBO should just option a Bronn the sell sword series that ends with him going to grab some dinner at the inn where he meets Tyrion because I'd watch the gently caress out of him riding about sassin' lord and killin' folk for money.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

I don't think many people (or anyone really) think Bran is going to command the Others to kill the human race but he is certainly on a dark path and I've often joked that his is a supervillain origin's story in order to capture how hosed up everything in the far North is. I believe that Bloodraven (Mr. "the ends justify the means") and the Children are not as altruistic and humanitarian as they seem at first glance and that, while they can broadly be categorized as against the Others, they do not have humanity's best interests at heart and/or are not above paying any price for the "greater good". There's just too much body horror, complex moral questions, overt themes of sacrifice, dark magic, and Celtic influence in Bran's storyline for his destiny to be anything but tragic.

Bran will be instrumental in stopping the Others and sealing them away, at the cost of his own freedom/life/soul/something, a la his namesake. The story will end with a Bran POV, that's for sure.

Bloodraven ended up on the wall for basically executing a dude coming to a parley to talk peace and more than once has been established as a dude not to gently caress with. Him becoming a kindly old teacher isn't exactly something I would fully expect. imo, like you said his whole idea of training Bran is to continue his work, which might guarantee the survival of westeros but not individuals he intends to help.

GRRM has also spoken about winds taking the reader further north than we've ever been and the assumption is something to do with the white walkers which I'm guessing we've already seen bits of in the show. Wouldn't surprise me if some of their motivation is shown at some point too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm no expert at Westeros Feudal politics but do they do matrilineal marriages? Because otherwise even if Sansa takes charge of Winterfell her kid wouldn't be a Stark. This also brings up the weird fact how all of the Great Houses of Westeros seemingly only have one or two lines. There should be countless legitimate claimants to the title, even if its some distant cousin, but apparently when one or two main characters die the entire House is dead.

To be the punching bag for the villain of the week.

The north likely wouldn't give a gently caress, they would just be happy not to bend the knee to a southern king.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

This is just a hunch but my idea has always been that ASOIAF specifically highlights the fragility of long-established feudal ruling castes and that most if not all Great Houses are on the way to being wiped out, paving the way for a new world order (though not necessarily a better one). The tv series highlights this even better than the novels. I mean, look at the situation of the Great Houses:

- Baratheon: no legitimate heir currently exists (yeah Gendry could be legitimized I guess, but by whom?)
- Lannister: Tyrion is marked for death and Jaime is barred from producing an heir
- Greyjoy: I suppose Euron could father an heir but that's an extremely thin thread to hang on to
- Stark: Rickon could come of age and have a kid but it's a long shot
- Arryn: As if Robin is going to ever father a child
- Tyrell: Loras is gay and unlikely to ever produce offspring
- Tully: paradoxically in the second-best position since Edmure is still alive and so is the Blackfish
- Targaryen: all hope rests on Dany getting a kid

Even the ascendant Houses (Baelish, Bolton, Frey) have their own dead-ends. For Littlefinger it's the simple fact he hasn't produced an heir of his own, for the Boltons it's Ramsay cannibalizing everyone in his path and for the Freys is quite simply too much internal competition + too many people willing to take them out wholesale.

Some of these Houses could ensue continuation through female heirs (Sansa, Margaery, Asha/Yara), as with House Targaryen, but it would invariably introduce a lot of changes to the political landscape of Westeros that would make the make-up of society quite different. Even Tyrion, who may reclaim his position as the heir to House Lannister, would likely introduce a lot of political changes if he got there.

The TV show kind of hosed this a little bit, by omitting characters and killing some off but the situation isn't fantastic but it's not that dire

Lannister: Kevan's son Martyn is still alive and was delivered to forces at the Golden Tooth, it's presumed he's at Casterly Rock and with Tyrion in exile and kevan not in the picture he's the heir
Baratheon: in the books again Shireen is still alive and Edric is safely spirited away. Likely kind of boned.
Greyjoy: Victarion and Euron could both father children, there's also damphair who feasibly could renounce his vows and Asha.
Stark: Rickon, Arya, Sansa and potentially Jon could be starks and produce heirs
Arryn: hosed, if not by his nature, likely by poisoning with his "medicine" for seizures. Harry the heir all but confirmed
Tyrell: Loras is a kingsguard and a gay, has two older brothers one of whom is already married, the other is the 2nd born and has a lame leg, but would still attract a good match - they're pretty much safe as houses since at least one heir is kicking it in highgarden (Garland and Willas)
Tully: Heir already on the way, though it's assumed he'll be a hostage and more frey than not. Blackfish is also still knockin' about somewhere and could produce
Targaryen: In a bit of strife since Dany is barren and Jon is either not rezzed or could declare himself stark, line of lineage through the baratheons also hosed. Depends on fAegon and Arianne too
Martell: 2 currently living heirs.

Yeah there's a couple of potential issues there and some more precarious than others, but none of them except the Arryns are proper hosed. The show likes killing people they shouldn't.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 21, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

God Hole posted:

The house extinction that most saddens me in this series was that of House Cassel. They were probably the most loyal house we've seen, and were the most trusted house of the Starks. Martyn was part of Ned's personal guard and was killed at the Tower of Joy. His only surviving son ended up following in his father's footsteps, becoming Ned's number one man until he was murdered by Jaime Lannister in the streets of King's Landing. Rodrik Cassel, Martyn's brother, is murdered by Theon, a ward he raised and trained from childhood. His only surviving daughter is a prisoner at the Dreadfort, which as we all know is probably a fate worse than death.

They served the Starks as faithfully and as effectively as could be expected in this world and all they got for it was treachery and death.

House Mallister is my favourite under mentioned house. Bad rear end motherfuckers right there their head of house threw back an ironborn incursion and killed the ironborn heir, then did some bad rear end poo poo for rob and survived the red wedding.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah so, way too many posts for me to catch up with.

I assume the consensus is that other than Liam Cunningham doing his Sean Connery impression this episode was largely garbage?

Just watch it. The show is like an inverse of this thread, 10% stupid poo poo, 90% good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From the looks of it, The Mountain is just a guy in an ill-fitting helmet from now on. Is it even Hafthor under there now? I saw his name in the credits but the close-ups don't look like his eyes at all.

Yeah there were photos of kingslanding sets with him milling around being massive online a while ago.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

"Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) trains with the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow). In King’s Landing, Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) advises Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman). Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) demands good news, but has to make his own. At Castle Black, the Night’s Watch stands behind Thorne (Owen Teale). Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) proposes a plan, and Balon Greyjoy (Patrick Malahide) entertains other proposals."

This episode, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.

So my thoughts are we might get tower of joy as the opening and the fight between aliser and davos as the ending keeping the rez to ep 3.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ep 2: Homeward Bound / Home
Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) trains with the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow) - probably just prep for the tower of joy reveal
In King’s Landing, Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) advises Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman). - I'd bet telling him to confront the sparrow
Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) demands good news, but has to make his own. - who knows with this mess, probably to do with harpies and danny's location
At Castle Black, the Night’s Watch stands behind Thorne (Owen Teale). Apologies for what you're about to see
Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) proposes a plan - 20 good men, storm the castle
Balon Greyjoy (Patrick Malahide) entertains other proposals - takes a long walk off a short bridge

Ep 3: Oathbreaker
Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) meets her future - probably just her arriving at Vaes Dothrak,
Bran meets the past - Tower of Joy maybe a vision of "young" ned or family
Tommen confronts the High Sparrow (Jonathan Pryce) - probs the scene we've seen the trailers with Mace and Jaime - either that or that response is to Tommen being taken prisoner
Arya (Maisie Williams) trains to be No One chick stick and daredevil no one training with the flip off the ground bullshit
Varys (Conleth Hill) finds an answer to controlling the mereneese jerks - probably/possibly the new red woman we've seen?
Ramsay gets a gift - Umbers come with news they've got Rickon maybe? The use of the term "gift" makes me think he gets killed since it's been used for that more than once in synopsis but that would be a little early

I would think next ep is probably going to be just more of a tease. With everyone setting their plans for the next 8 eps into motion. I would think we'll probably see the fight over Jons body as one of the last scenes. I'd even go so far as to say they're probably about to lose before the wildlings show up (dudes with crossbows shooting at something) and they save the day. Ep 3 opens with the tower of Joy and we see Jon being rez'd around the end once Davos restores a modicom of peace at castle black and mel remembers she's got powers instead of being 400 years old.

We're all predicting ep 9 for the big battle right? or possibly 7? they're the only two eps that have featured full scale battles aren't they?

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 26, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

It's reported to be in episode 5 or 6, based off of when Jack Bender was seen in the area of Spain where it was filmed.

Edit: Bender directed episodes 5 and 6.

I can't remember the casting rumors from earlier in the thread. They obviously had young hodor and ned etc IIRC, so possibly ep 3 is something at winterfell showing Lyanna to be like young arya etc and then the tower of joy after Jon is rezzed? Seems like ep 4 he'd be starting to get a little smelly. In the timeline of the show we're already looking at over a full day dead since she's curling up the night after he was stabbed.

Edit: poo poo, home/homeward bound probably refers to Euron and Sam both as well.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 26, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

InFlames235 posted:

The way Dorne has been ever since they introduced it, I wish they had just never put it in the show to begin with. Coulda focused on fleshing out other storylines or more on the Greyjoys which, IMO, is a better story in the books anyways.

Agreed, the Ironborn putting pressure on the reach is going to come into play the in books in a bigger way imo and the Euron / Victarion story is much better than Dorne's half bullshit story.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The whole Dorne story is stupid and incompetently handled, the latter is much worse.

They could have had the entire story line in without having Bronn and Jaime go to Dorne. There's no reason why they couldn't have just opened with Doran giving Ellaria a warning because of the necklace she sent and gone from there. Doran takes the most placid sand snake as a hostage to keep Ellaria in line. Said hostage decides to Kill Myrcella and Tristane anyway, or kills 'em both and prince doran with poison at dinner or something. It's still a dumb story but at least Jaime and Bronn (as the Ilyn payne stand in) would've been free to go to the riverlands when they should have -which it appears is going to be condensed into this season, I'm assuming after he confronts the faith and more importantly we don't get those woeful fight scenes and actors included and it ends in the same place we're at now. The power in dorne dead and myrcella dead.

I realise the writers plan was to have Jaime out of a position to help Cersei but that could've been achieved by having him go to the Riverlands anyway. God only knows how they're going to shoehorn his leaving the riverlands siege with Brienne under the orders of Lady Stoneheart considering the latter doesn't exist and it doesn't make any sense for Sansa to order Brienne to bring Jaime to her to be executed. It looks like a whole lot of the Frey's hanging etc is going to be done in a different way, but gently caress if I know. Probably in the most retarded way possible. Sansa will hear of Jon's death and become the new stoneheart in the riverland areas and she'll order Brienne to bring her Jaime and she'll do it for no discernible reason.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait, I might be misremembering but I think we do see him fight in DwD. Izdar zo Loraq is ruling over Mereen after Daenerys escapes with Drogon and Barristan gathers his forces and kicks him out or some poo poo, and in the process he has to fight some of Izdar's guardians, which granted are actually pit fighters so they put up a poor fight, but we do get a glimpse of Barristan moping the ground with them.

Most of his badassness we hear about from other sources. He ended an entire rebellion before joining the kingsguard after cutting down a would be usurper and his personal guard, snuck into duskendale and rescued his king and whooped rear end at countless tourneys around the kingdom. You don't get to see it before he wastes the pit fighter but the dudes like a bad motherfucker. He didn't exactly go out like a bitch against the Harpies but it still felt like a wasted scene. It's like they were trying to double down on how dangerous the harpies were. First with Barry gettin' ganked and then with the fighting pits scene.

bobjr posted:

I only remember that because it was pointed out in this thread. I wonder if anyone on the show realized that.

Eh, Squires prepare your horse, clean your poo poo and help you strap on stuff like gorgets and chest pieces, they're not cleaning your nuts for ya after a days ride. Also he wasn't really his squire, he was helping out on the training ground.

The sansa/stoneheart thing might end up being pretty clunky the whole point of it in the book is part of Brienne's realisation and maturation that the world isn't black and white. imo The whole point of it is that she's bringing Jaime before lady stone heart and I think, eventually will kill lady stoneheart to ensure Jaime doesn't end up at the end of a rope. My guess is D&D have absolutely no loving clue what to do with Jaime after this season, and it's why they slowed his story down by sending him to Dorne.

In the books he's pretty much MIA and I would think if he gets away from stoneheart heading back to a kingdom where the King is still pre-pubescent, the dowager queen is facing a trial against the faith, a good chunk of his kingsguard cannot be trusted... at all, the hand of the king dead, Highgarden and the Lannisters poised to go to war, Iron islanders reaving up and down the westerlands and the reach, the Stormlands taken by an Army that has crossed the narrow sea, the North all but in open rebellion and the Dornish potentially uprising to the south. He'll have few allies, fewer advisors and a swath of unsolvable issues. He's going to be thurst into a leadership roll he can't hope to be successful in.

The other possibilities are he's hanged by the brotherhood, or he's sent off with the mission to secure Arya everyone's heard is in the north, or find Sansa who fled kingslanding.

Good luck unravelling that mess D&D.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 28, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

Sansa won't be Stoneheart. She's being set up as the Queen in the North. It's why they're going through the effort to bring back Rickon: so they can kill him and make Sansa the uncontested heir to Winterfell, because Jon won't accept it and Bran is a tree.

They might make Beric or Thoros to be a Stoneheart-esque figure, or maybe Blackfish (that would be cool), but not Sansa and definitely not Catelyn.

Blackfish vengeance sounds baller as gently caress.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Episode owned, gently caress the haters.

TheRat posted:

Im always baffled when people say this. Book stannis is a raging psycho from the very first time you see him, yet for some reason people in here think the show has turned a good guy into a bad guy.

He is and he isn't. Book Stannis is equal parts his reputation - humorless, unbending and stubborn and the complete opposite. He cracks some good jokes, doesn't execute people he probably should and relents more than once at times. He's more complex in the books than he is in the show and he's not wholly shown to be a psycho in any way shape or form. A little sociopathic probably and certainly a believer in the ends justifying the means - whatever the means, but certainly not a nut.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

You know I always had that very same thought.

I don't know if it's stated otherwise, but from what I recall the Kindly Man says that all payments to the Many Faced God are made in blood and not with money, and the Hall of Black and White does not seem to have a problem with equipment and provisions and there is only so much they can take from dead bodies.

I mean granted, people giving free poo poo to them because they are the loving Dark Brotherhood is a possibility, but I always had the thought that maybe the Iron Bank secretly funds them and that is why they can easily turn the tide of a war to gently caress with those who didn't pay their dues, by either funding the opposite faction (risky) or by sending a Faceless man to gently caress up the top dog.

This idea was further reinforced when I saw Braavos for the first time in the opening. The coins are following the aqueduct and fall into the House of Black and White.

I think its just assumed you pay the temple of black and white who serve the many faced god.

I think its one of those parable type things, where the more you have to give the more you have to give.

Thats why even the poorest can male a sacrafice and hire a faceless man, some of them just have to pay with their lives. If youre mega rich you have to pay mega bux. Like a dragon egg or whatever.

Bravos was formed by former slaves so it makes sense that the bank and facelessmen work symbiotically. Theyre both part of bravos and came from the same place.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Episode owned. gently caress the haters

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dunk and egg would be fine for little two or three episodes here and there or a telemovie.

Roberts rebellion would be a lot harder to do because the show doesnt like doing major battles.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The dunk and egg stories would be better because theyre not as expansive and still have pretty cool settings and occurances. You'd need some good actors to carry it playing duncan and aegon but its slightly lighter tone that make the endings that much more tragic would be fantastic tv imo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Some how I don't think Tyrion and Varys are going to be wholly on board with a 100,000 dothraki sacking Westeros.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume he meant Garlan Tyrell.

Also, in the last episode, Jamie said to mace that the Tyrell had the second largest army in westerns. Who is first? I'd always thought the Reach was the most populous region with the largest levy.

I would think at this point in the show the force sizes would be something like

Dorne
The reach
The lannisters
The east
The north
The riverlands
The storm lands
Crownlands/dragonstone

In the show you would have to assume that the alliance of highgarden, casterly rock, the freys and whats left of the crownloands and stormlands loyal to tommen could overcome anyone as a single force.

I would think the books have a better set up to why that numerical advantage wont mean much.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tazjin posted:

The speech was the usual, what annoys me is that there's nothing else they've ended an episode on as often as the "Dany does a thing to impress the desert savages to epic music" trope.

Emelia Clarke is poo poo at everything to do with acting except looking gorgeous and giving loud speeches to crowds. Might as well have her do the only thing she can.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this; but that's because we are an omnipotent viewer of the situation. The general public would (likely) not have any idea of the political intrigue taking place between the Crown and the High Sparrow; so therefore they would see this in a much more positive light.

Also, sometimes it's important to know when you're beat. By aligning with the High Sparrow, the Crown can potentially buy itself some time and breathing room. Politically speaking they are between a rock and a hard place, there are no great or easy decisions to make. The authority of the crown is in serious jeopardy and governing is becoming increasingly impossible due to instability. Aligning with the High Sparrow may allow for some peace to be restored to Kings Landing, and therefore the Kingdom, which will free up resources (money and attention) that can be devoted to other issues. If some of the other pressing issues can be fixed, it may be possible to undercut the factors that are influencing the High Sparrow's popularity. Undermining the structural issues that are feeding his popularity will make it easier to challenge him later. But, as it currently stands, he is untouchable and the smart move is to understand that and change your strategy.

IMO we're not seeing Tommen do poo poo, we're seeing Margery becoming the puppeteer. There's no way in hell (well... with these writers there is I guess) she went from 100% committed to playing out the septon's game to being a devotee. She would have to know she could twist Tommen around to her way of thinking and once safely back in the castle with her protection manipulate him to do what she wanted from there. Whether or not Tommen wakes up to that fact and stays loyal to the faith or he conitues to be manipulated is something else entirely I guess.

Margery is smart enough to know that bringing the king into the fold so to speak gets her out of trouble, gives her opportunity to get her brother back and gets her back to safety where she can allow her husband to position everything to her advantage. She's taken Cersei's place as puppetmaster. I think I quick 2 minute scene with Olenna will show whether or not I read this wrong or the writers really are that bad.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

If Arya was meant to be dead now, they'd actually show it. She's far too popular and "important" for them to do a Stannis.

A really good episode. The lack of Ramsay is a major plus.

No way she dies this season IMO.

hemophilia posted:

I hate the pacing of this loving show.

Some cool stuff happened. I was entertained. I still hate that this is a show where characters are introduced in a cold open and are dead by the time credits roll. That's loving lame. The rate at which people are introduced to die is loving lame. The unwillingness to slow the god drat plot down because D&D want to be done with the show is loving lame! This episode was entertaining, and would have been better if most of the things that happened, took place over an episode or two more. God drat.

The books needed speeding up. By the end of the books there's no real solution in site it's just more convoluted. Everyone had theories but by the end of the books Sansa is stuck in the vale, Arya is in Bravos, Dorne are still farting around, Jon's dead. Bran is still a tree, theon is only just getting his balls back, Dany is making GBS threads in a desert and Jaime's wandering off in the jungle, there's a new player on the scene just landing in Westeros and the majority of characters we see a POV of, while they've grown a lot are no closer to a conclusion and while that's fine for an epic book series, the show has to have an end point. Even if they do two more full seasons that's going to be 8 years. Longer than most shows, let alone HBO shows run.

At least at this rate but the end of the season you would think we have the final stage set for the battle for the iron throne and a set up for the battle with the white walkers that we've been waiting for forever that should have a conclusion after that. They're setting up the final two seasons really well for a change. It's almost as if following the pacing of the books was a detriment. It kind of explains why last season sucked so much. There's was too much they had to touch on to make the story make sense. They are better off doing what they're doing. The hound reveal was a good one and the way his character was still angry, still seething and still the same guy albeit a bit quieter at this point was a good move.

Yeah seeing Ian McShane introduced and dead in the same episode kind of sucked, but what, you wanted a 5 episode arc where the Hound cries a little bit, seethes a little bit and we end up in the same place? GRRM jerks everyone around too much. Throwing the source material away and getting the pieces in place as well as they can has worked out pretty well. This is the best season since season 3 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like that dany didnt even take a quick pass at the skirts of the ships to try and burn a couple. Nah just land me on the balcony mate, she'll be right.

• Locked thread