Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: This year's winners can be found on Page 3 :siren:

Hello, and welcome to the first annual Golden Wonderhanger* awards!

Modeled after D&D's Gay Abortions Awards, the Golden Wonderhangers are BFC's opportunity to commemorate the year in Bad With Money. There are 8 categories, including the Worst With Money grand prize :toot:

The Process
Anyone who wishes to submit nominations has until 23:59 Central on December 31 January 3 to post their nominees. For each category, quote a single post from 2015. You don't have to have a nominee for each category. Every poster is allowed one post in which they nominate submissions. If you'd like to add to or change your nominees, please edit that post before 23:59 Central on December 31.

Voting will begin immediately after the submissions are compiled into the post below this one. The votes will be tallied and results will be announced by uhhhhh whenever I get around to it in January. Vote for each category by naming the category and the letter indicating that item (you'll see what I mean when I compile the nominations).

The Judges
Your judges are me and Nail Rat. I'm deputizing Nail Rat even though I didn't ask him (her?) because (s)he is my favorite poster in the BWM thread. If (s)he doesn't want to do it then it's just me :twisted:

The judges may agree to veto any submission, or trim a list if there are too many nominees. Please ask me if you have questions about the Golden Wonderhangers Awards or any part of the nomination and voting processes.

What to do
Please quote or link posts from 2015 for each of the categories you want to nominate in. Remember, you don't have to do every category if you don't have nominations for each one.
Please save discussions, advocacy, etc for until the nomination period is complete.
Nominations must connect to something that occurred on SA in 2015. For example, a blog post from 2013 is fair game if it was discussed on SA in 2015. A crowdfunding plea from November is invalid if it was not discussed anywhere on SA before I posted this thread.

The Categories
  • Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
  • Funniest Redditor
  • Worst mainstream media article
  • Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
  • Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
  • Best derail
  • Most eyerolling humblebrag
  • Worst With Money (overall grand prize)

OK, get to nominating! I probably hosed this OP up since I cribbed heavily from D&D plus I went out and had some drinks tonight, so please tell me if there's anything you don't understand and I'll fix it.

*If you don't know, search "zaurg"

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: Voting for the 2015 Golden Wonderhangers is now active! :siren:

The nominees are as follows:

1. Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
  1. Blue Story First nominated by: Haifisch
  2. Houseboats! First nominated by: Duckman2008
  3. Knyteguy backslides :smith: First nominated by: detectivemonkey
  4. SloMo's last stand on Abortion Hill First nominated by: MrKatharsis

2. Funniest Redditor
  1. Souvenir Checks First nominated by: Horking Delight
  2. Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
  3. Man sells everything to buy $100K call options on AAPL, tastes profit, ends penniless #YOLO First nominated by: Devian666
  4. I sold my Rent a Center furniture to pay legal fees and now RAC wants their stuff back First nominated by: flynt

3. Worst mainstream media article
  1. If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong First nominated by: Not a Children
  2. "My uterus literally aches despite the fact that logic suggests we can't afford it right now" First nominated by: flynt
  3. Here's the budget of a family who feels like they've 'made it' earning $142,000 a year ($2,400/year on wife's hair and nails is just the beginning) First nominated by: Pompous Rhombus

4. Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
  1. $30,000 on Star Citizen First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
  2. Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by: Tyro
  3. Please give me $15,000 to go to Greece to build a portfolio because I'm going to be $60,000 in debt from photography school First nominated by: pig slut lisa

5. Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
  1. Blue Story First nominated by: SiGmA_X
  2. Muerte quits job to hike across America to raise money for mental health issues. Takes an Uber back home after 4 days. First nominated by: flynt (Originally nominated for worst crowdfunding, but moved here because Blue Story didn't have any competition and holy hell is this some competition)
  3. g0lbez makes my goddamn head explode first nominated by: pig slut lisa

6. Best derail
  1. Horse Chat First nominated by: Giant Isopod
  2. Car Chat, oh sweet jesus this bullshit First nominated by: pig slut lisa
  3. Wedding Chat First nominated by: I'm gonna say Nail Rat since I know they hate this nonsense

7. Most eyerolling humblebrag
  1. KingFisher paid off student loans early, says it's BWM because it's dropping off the credit report :rolleye: First nominated by: Renegret
  2. Switchback complains about the lack of social recognition for a $15,000 pink diamond First nominated by: Weatherman
  3. _areaman tells us about his inexpensive wedding, decides we also need to know he makes $200K+ per year First nominated by: GoGoGadgetChris
  4. "To be honest I'm deeply dissatisfied with my life as a HENRY and wish I was brave enough to quit everything and live as a 3rd world farmer. P.S. Seriously lolling at how poorly traveled everyone in this thread is." First nominated by: pig slut lisa

Please vote by listing the alphanumeric combo for your favorite nominee in each category. Additionally, please put a * next to your vote for the overall grand prize of Worst With Money.

Here is an example of a properly formatted ballot:
1D
2A*
3A
4B
5A
6B
7C

If you want to discuss why you made your picks that's fine, just please have a properly formatted list somewhere in your post.

I will be closing the thread sometime at 10 PM CST on Friday, January 15th to tally votes.

Thanks, and let the voting begin!

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 10, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Biggest BFC trainwreck thread: Blue Story (it still counts since it started in BFC, right?)

e: link added

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 21, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Haifisch posted:

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread: Blue Story (it still counts since it started in BFC, right?)

Blue Story is eligible for both Biggest BFC trainwreck thread and Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA

I'd suggest linking to that thread in your post so that people who aren't familiar with it can check it out themselves

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

EDIT: nevermind, I don't think I've seen it discussed here, sorry! I'll make a different nomination in a bit.

Funniest Redditor: Souvenir Checks

Best Derail: Cheap Eats Chat (with recipes!)

Worst BWM From Elsewhere:

quote:

"Dear, we really need to cut back. Due to routinely cooking food for 80 other people and never charging a dime, we'll need to leverage the house."

Worst Crowdfunding: Doobie's Dog House. Goons funded it in 2013, but it still gets referenced semi-regularly (here's some URLs to SA threads).

http://doobies-doghouse.wikia.com/wiki/Doobie%27s_DogHouse_Wikia

Worst Mainstream Media Article:

quote:

TL;DR: Author spends more than 10 years and his publishing advance researching a book that he does not even begin to write for 5 years, goes completely flat broke doing it including looting retirement accounts

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 4, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This post will be edited several times as I remember things about this year.

Worst Mainstream Media Article:
If You Have Savings in Your 20s, You're Doing Something Wrong

Please nominate someone other than Blue Story for worst thread because that whole spiel seemed fake as hell

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 21, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Worst train wreck: Blue story.

I want to put Houseboats in here somewhere, but I'm not sure what category it would fix in. Can we add a worst idea category?

For reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155&perpage=40

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Funniest Redditor: trying to pay for spring break via insurance fraud, foiled by dash cam. Discovered by canyoneer

link to Reddit post

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 23, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
There doesn't seem to be a most depressing job category, and there should be.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Duckman2008 posted:

Worst train wreck: Blue story.

I want to put Houseboats in here somewhere, but I'm not sure what category it would fix in. Can we add a worst idea category?

For reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155&perpage=40

hahaha, good luck. posted:

I have a long term girlfriend, who is not on board with this idea at all but I'll talk her into it once she sees how cool the boat is.

Oh, BFC, thank you for this wonderful thread.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Blue story has basically no real competition for worst trainwreck.

Horse Equity and the ensuing stories of how horses are stupid and make people crazy for best derail

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

pig slut lisa posted:

[*]Most eyerolling humblebrag

This whole thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think BS should simply be nominated to "Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA" because there are some pretty great BWM BFC threads this year.

I wonder how SloMo is doing... Can a mod demand a update?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slow motion was a ruse right? It had to be. I don't think it counts for much besides most annoying BS thread of the year.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Worst Crowd Funding Anecdote

Link to the posting by Im_drunk in the Star Citizen thread

Meet a fan who has spent $30,000 on Star Citizen ships

quote:

That development money has come from the largest crowdfunding campaign ever, which has been going since 2012, offering packages and individual spaceships that range from 20 bucks to a thousand dollars or more. And if you've ever wondered who would spend a thousand dollars on an unfinished game, here's someone who's spent 30 times that.

Virtual boat equity!

quote:

Some people buy real boats; I buy pixel boats. I haven’t financed anything or put anything on credit cards. Everything is clear in the up, disposable income. I wasn’t stupid in that regard, you know. Putting things on credit cards, that’d be dumb.

I want to believe.

quote:

This is real. It’s not vaporware. And I believe in it.

I think the danger is they would understand perfectly well.

quote:

I choose who I tell it to. Like, I haven’t told hardly anybody outside of my wife and kids, and my immediate family. My parents don’t know. They wouldn’t understand it. They would think it’s a crazy, stupid thing.

Merry Christmas!

quote:

My Javelin was a $2,500 pledge from Christmas last year.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 23, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Just a reminder for everyone:

pig slut lisa posted:

What to do
Please quote or link posts from 2015 for each of the categories you want to nominate in. Remember, you don't have to do every category if you don't have nominations for each one.
Nominations must connect to something that occurred on SA in 2015. For example, a blog post from 2013 is fair game if it was discussed on SA in 2015. A crowdfunding plea from November is invalid if it was not discussed anywhere on SA before I posted this thread.

Really enjoying seeing the nominations so far!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Hey! Big meanie

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It was somewhat tongue in cheek. I posted there too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

Just a reminder for everyone:

Really enjoying seeing the nominations so far!

Gotcha, I edited my posts to include links to SA discussing the subject in 2015.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Just wanted to second the nomination for Blue Story's thread as Biggest BFC Trainwreck Thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Biggest BFC trainwreck thread - Blue Story
Worst With Money (overall grand prize) - Blue Story
Most eyerolling humblebrag - Financial Goals 2015 thread on BFC
Worst mainstream media article - "If you have savings in your 20s, you're doing something wrong" http://elitedaily.com/life/savings-20s-something-wrong/1214445/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I personally think the humblebrag should need to go to a post/series of posts, not an entire thread from different people (some of which are humblebrags, some of which aren't).

While that may be a little helldumpish, otherwise it's a pointless category because of course the financial goals thread will win. That's kind of the whole point of that thread.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 29, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

I personally think the humblebrag should need to go to a post/series of posts, not an entire thread from different people (some of which are humblebrags, some of which aren't).

While that may be a little helldumpish, otherwise it's a pointless category because of course the financial goals thread will win. That's kind of the whole point of that thread.

I agree with this.

Also we need more nominations. I've been traveling the past several days so I'm behind on the main BWM thread but I'll go obnoxiously shill in there a couple times.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'll add some nominations of my own tomorrow as well, just to try to pad out the field.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I mostly posted that category as a joke, I don't think it's actually a very good idea for an award. Best derail can stay though. :D

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Worst Crowdfunding / Worst With Money: The guy with the naked short on KBIO that blew up in his face and then went begging for money.

Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56

First mentioned in the stock trading megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=563&perpage=40#post452923045

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

pig slut lisa posted:

Blue Story is eligible for both Biggest BFC trainwreck thread and Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA

I'd suggest linking to that thread in your post so that people who aren't familiar with it can check it out themselves

Wow, so I just spent a few hours getting up to page 30, should I continue? So entertaining... I have not been in BFC for a few years but I'm glad I came back :) What ever happend to Cornholeo and Zeuag (not sure of the spelling on the last one) I'm still not sure if Blue Story is real or not. Also, fill me in on the Wonderhanger thing?

EDIT: I guess it's related to zaurg.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here are the nominations as of the evening of 12/30. Nominate more things! I'm extending the nomination period through Sunday, January 3

pig slut lisa posted:

Nominations as of 12/30

Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
Blue Story First nominated by: Haifisch
Houseboats! First nominated by: Duckman2008

Funniest Redditor
Souvenir Checks First nominated by: Horking Delight
Insurance Fraud Foiled by Dashcam First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood

Worst mainstream media article
If You Have Savings In Your 20s, You’re Doing Something Wrong First nominated by: Not a Children

Worst social media/crowdfunding/personal anecdote
$30,000 on Star Citizen First nominated by: Mojo Threepwood
Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56! First nominated by: Tyro

Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
Blue Story First nominated by: SiGmA_X

Best derail
Horse Chat First nominated by: Giant Isopod

Most eyerolling humblebrag

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Houseboats!

Funniest Redditor

My best friend inherited control of a trust fund for her minor nephew. She invested 95% of the money in RadioShack stock, paying between $3 and $4 a share. She sold it for a fraction of that after that company announced bankruptcy. Could she get sued over this? In NY

Dumping a trust fund 95% into Radioshack in TYOOL 2015 takes a special, dare I say Olympian kind of BWM.

Here's the budget of a family who feels like they've 'made it' earning $142,000 a year
(That "no savings in your 20s" article seemed like deliberate flame/clickbait.)

Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56!

??? Not Blue Story though.

Best derail
Horse Chat (not even close guys, c'mon)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i didnt read much of the bwm thread but http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2qu211/oh_police_took_my_life_savings_without_charging/ amused me

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Here's a loving Humblebrag nomination for a post by Switchback: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=426&perpage=40#post451500472
Sorry for the formatting but I'm phone posting. I nominate this one because it's a derailing humblebrag followed by an example of "now let's end this derail (now that I've said my piece)".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Weatherman posted:

Here's a loving Humblebrag nomination for a post by Switchback: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=426&perpage=40#post451500472
Sorry for the formatting but I'm phone posting. I nominate this one because it's a derailing humblebrag followed by an example of "now let's end this derail (now that I've said my piece)".

Heh, from the top of that page is my current favorite humblebrag

_areaman posted:

I make $200k a year. I'm going to propose to my girlfriend in a few months. I'm not buying her an engagement ring, the rings we do eventually get will be under $1k each, and I refuse to spend more than $10k on the wedding. Ceremony in a college chapel, and party later with booze bought myself and bartenders hired independently. My money is better spent on property, experiences, investments, etc. Weddings are about love, not appearances, and I would never marry someone who disagreed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Add a vote on these two for me, I don't think I voted on either category get.

Holy hell I forgot about Souvenir check and how hysterically awful an idea that was.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Houseboats!

Funniest Redditor

My best friend inherited control of a trust fund for her minor nephew. She invested 95% of the money in RadioShack stock, paying between $3 and $4 a share. She sold it for a fraction of that after that company announced bankruptcy. Could she get sued over this? In NY

Dumping a trust fund 95% into Radioshack in TYOOL 2015 takes a special, dare I say Olympian kind of BWM.

Here's the budget of a family who feels like they've 'made it' earning $142,000 a year
(That "no savings in your 20s" article seemed like deliberate flame/clickbait.)

Help! My short position got crushed, and now I owe E-Trade $106,445.56!

??? Not Blue Story though.

Best derail
Horse Chat (not even close guys, c'mon)

Links?

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
Worst Crowdfunding:
Muerte's thread where he quit his job and raised around 3000$ on a crowdfunding site to hike across America and "raise awareness" about mental health issues. The cart he was using to carry his supplies broke after 6 miles, he only ate raisins, passed out on day 4, and had to get an Uber back to the start. Then someone reported him on the fundraising site and he had to return all the money.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Duckman2008 posted:

Add a vote on these two for me, I don't think I voted on either category get.

Holy hell I forgot about Souvenir check and how hysterically awful an idea that was.

Not voting yet, still nominating.

Also nobody needs to say "Blue Story" again since that's been nominated a billion times already. Don't worry, you'll get your chance to vote on it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why can't I nominate the 2015 financial goals thread for worst humblebrag? I know that's the point of the thread, but the thread is boring, pointless, and humble braggy. And totally non-interactive.

I nominate the piece of poo poo 2015 financial goals thread for fulfilling its goal of being awful

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I thought Nail Rat's explanation was pretty good. An additional reason is that the Financial Goals thread is primarily populated outright and undisguised brags, not humblebrags.

That said, I bet there are some excellent individual humblebrags buried inside that thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The financial thread is the sanctioned bragging thread.

The BFC Bad With Money thread is the one full of humblebrags.

• Locked thread