Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

OctoberBlues posted:

I remember as recently as 6 or 7 years ago you could dick around on ebay and find all kinds of cool stuff for cheap because people had extra crap and wanted to get rid of it at a fair price.

Now, everything is vintage and rare. This person is selling a coffee can for $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-RAR...cUAAOSwNphWaORu

This person is selling a t-shirt that would have been $5 back in 2007 but is now vintage and $45. I would have bought and worn this ironically for $5. $45? Not so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-198...DEAAOSw7FRWXlhM

Here is a chipmunk thing that is broken and they want $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Interiors-Chipmunk-/161926222197?hash=item25b38e1175:g:dyIAAOSwd4tULM57

Why do people waste their time when this poo poo will never sell? Why not put a reasonable price on things? Where can I get a good deal on ironic poo poo these days?!?!?

Because everyone's trying to make a quick buck quick. some even add in the price of relisting their item multiple times over because no one wants to pay the bullshit price.
At least the postage price dickheads* aren't as rampant as they used to be

*The stupid fuckers that price their poo poo low and then charge the difference they discounted in shipping. So while you might find something at a good price for like 15 bucks, the shipping would be marked up to 60 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Most everything I've bought on ebay went through just fine. Though most are cheap poo poo from China or surplus stuff from the old soviet block.

I've had two though that were recalled by the sellers.

Was looking for a tent at one point and happened on one for 30 bucks, big 5 person tent and poo poo and thought that the price was odd. Did some looking around and the same tent normally retailed for 300. I figured for 30 I'd take a shot at it. Got a message later that night that the items were being pulled because the price listing was a fuckup. I tried to fight for it because I feel even if it was a fuckup it's your fuckup and you should have to honor that if people buy the items from you. Ebay just refunded my account and considered the action closed

The other I figured I'd snatch up one of those Indian made pickelhaubens since the auction started at 5 bucks. I was the only bidder and shipping was 20 bucks. a day after the auction ended the listing was pulled and the excuse was the item was damaged/missing. gently caress them

Aside from those, never really had a problem with ebay. Even bought live fish through it

WescottF1 posted:

Back at the end of the Beanie Babies craze, there was a "WE BUY BEANIES!" ad in the paper. My wife had some that she got for the standard price before their values got way inflated. We took them over and sold them. Got some decent coin for a couple of them - $30/40 range. Sold the rest for about what she paid for them.

There was a family in line behind us that were absolutely incensed that some of theirs that they had paid hundreds for each, were at that point worth around $10 a piece tops.

That craze still amazes me. I worked at McDonald's when they launched the teeny beanies and goddamn, before we even opened at 5am people were lined up down the streets. Counter was mobbed all day long, even had the local cops directing traffic because the cars lined up down the road through intersections, solid, bumper to bumper to prevent anyone from getting in front of them. At one point I had to grab one of the fryer lids and stand in the opening between the counter and the wall to keep people from trying to come back and rifle through the boxes.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 2, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nonsense posted:

all the private services basically use usps to exist and are a drain on the postal system itself considering congress shits on them since ups and fedex ARE MORE EFFICIENT. bigger racket than internet providers.

Yeah, I can't really complain using the USPS, everything's tracked well and deliveries are normally quick and on time with the estimation, except when they need to close another sorting center because Congress stuffed another stick up their rear end about them.
UPS always makes me wait extra time or I have to drive to their store to get my stuff because I'm not home at 8 or 9pm when they decide to deliver, and Fedex either dumps my poo poo on the USPS to deliver or throws the poo poo on my doorstep and leaves without even a knock.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

weird rules like "you can't sit down at all" and "you aren't allowed to work with anyone or talk at all while you work".

On a few of my shifts I stood in one place for hours and stacked washcloths as they came out of a dryer. I did nothing but stand there for hours. I got a stool and sat on it while I worked. The other workers just looked at me in awe when I got the stool. A few pointed at me but didn't say anything. It was a surreal experience. I figured the boss would enjoy having someone that was able to exercise critical thinking, but instead he flipped out and started screaming at me.

This is lots of jobs. Sitting or talking is slacking and thinking is a means to trouble. When I started working my current job I worked on the automated welders a lot. Standing in one spot for ten hours is a loving pain, so I got a stool and used it for a while till the owners saw me sitting and flipped their poo poo. About a year later they got stools for all of the welders and now they make almost double the parts now because they aren't spending time popping pain killers or wandering off to the bathrooms to stretch or relax.

my previous job stressed team work and smart thinking, but you couldn't talk or be around anyone and anything you did to make the process easier wasn't in line with the "current standards".

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 2, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Justin Tyme posted:

I never loving understood why jobs that don't have you actively interacting with the public have such byzantine requirements to the point where they are actively handicapping their own productivity. Even as a gate guard for a military installation we could sit on a stool and talk to each other when traffic was low.

I really don't know either. After the welders I got assigned to a machine that crimped oil intake screens together for the automotive industry. There's a rail that the lids slide down along to feed into the machine and if the lids are even slightly out of the lower range spec, they jam up because the rails that guide them are adjusted to the lowest setting. I started adjusting that myself to get them to feed depending on what specs they were stamped at along with a few other tweaks like bits of rubber to stop the lower cup portions from flipping out of their rail before the robot could grab them or hanging one over the table so as it turned it would bump any mis-dropped screens back in place. there were nights where I could run 6000+ (usually ended up in the high 5000's) parts compared to the standard 3-4000. You'd think I shot the president when the bosses saw that stuff and reset the machine to its hosed up settings.
course now those rubber strips and rail adjustments are standard operating because the machine was falling behind on a daily basis to the point we were half a million parts behind.
I operate the hilo there now. Despite running more parts and being busier at night they won't hire a second operator like they have on days.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
One of the bosses that threw the biggest fit is the guy in charge of the area that "fixes" that machine. I use the term "fix" rather loosely though as it's more like they jerry rig the thing to keep running while expending as little effort/money on it as they can.
Any time I ever suggested anything I got the run around about how I don't understand it and how my idea can't work because the machine shouldn't be running the way it is actually running. figure that one out

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 3, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

First and last time I sold something on eBay was like 6 skateboard DVDs. They only allowed $4 for shipping despite it was multiple DVDs. They sold for like $8 total with shipping. Shipping ended up being around $9 and fees were like $5 between eBay and PayPal.

My wife and I like to walk around a local flea market every Sunday. We been doing this for years now and poo poo is getting so much more expensive over the years. Like nobody is wanting to let go of their poo poo for a good price and always see people asking retail prices for their 5 year old appliances. I think it's shows like American pickers and antique shows making everyone think that all their stuff is worth way more then what it is. And you see a lot of the same people with the same poo poo year after year without changing the prices.

This pass summer my wife use to buy beanie babies from this older lady. She had them priced at 3 for $2 and had hundreds of them. I don't think she rarely sells any at all but she is their every week. My wife felt bad about this and decides to start picking up 3 each week from her just kinda buying the random ones that weren't bears and making small talk with the lady for a few minutes. No interest in them really and she would just put them in a basket when she got home. Anyway after about 4-5 weeks of this the lady jacks up the price to like $8 each. We were like what the hell and just walked away. The old lady said What? No beanie babies this week? I'm not sure if thought we would just start giving her $24 for three or what

She still has them at $8 and I don't think she sold a single one since

Pity purchases just drove her greed up. I dunno, every spring my town has a dedicated weekend in the spring to have garage sales. I used to like walking through them, but over time the quality has gone way down and the prices went up. Even before the pickers/swappers/pawners became a thing.
Every now and then there's a jewel in there though that I'd like. One year there was an old phonograph at one, no needle and the winding spring was broke. The owner wanted 300 for it and wouldn't budge. Got an antique gingerbread clock from one though for 25 bucks and was one of the best finds I ever had.
Some guy bought the reloader I saw at one. He reloads .22 ammo now and sells it at the local hardware store for 7 bucks for a bag of 50.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Which kinda raises a question from me. What's the point of a reserve auction? Just put what you will accept as the lowest so people won't waste their time trying to hit the magic number

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xaris posted:

So if you only get a couple low-ball bids you are't going to have to sell it for dirt cheap way below what you actually want for it. Now you can ask why not just make the base-bid higher, but that's because you want a lot of people to see the super low selling price first so hopefully they bookmark it/watch it and get into a bidding war potentially going a lot higher, whereas if you had it as the base bid people will just go "zzz" and possibly ignore it since it's not a SUPER GREAT DEAL "price" initially.

I dunno, for me when i see "reserve" it just turns me off taking any part. I suppose i'm not savvy enough to get it. I mean, I'd understand it if the reserve was viewable, but keeping it hidden really doesn't do anything on a site where there's no pressure to bid in the first place.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

King Vidiot posted:

From what I'm seeing there, I wouldn't be surprised if "cartridge only" is literal and there's not even a circuit board inside what's left of the cart.

Given the detailed info copied right off the box but no info about the actual item, yeah...seems totally legit to me

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I use ebay enough because I collect poo poo like geigers and dosimeters and poo poo like that. I can find pretty nice soviet stuff selling for under a hundred bucks with shipping. The downside is actual US CD geigers, despite the thousands upon thousands out there, are being sold as "vintage" and "rare" to the point the going rate is $150 just for the damned geiger. Every now and then a full kit pops up that lists for the same, but most of the time it's the kit minus the geiger because they could sell that alone and double the payout.

Ebay's great for finding odd poo poo, but you gotta wade through a lot of the sellers that want a huge payout because there's still a get rich quick stigma.

I've won a few auctions that got pulled though. Won a reproduction pickelhaube for 29 bucks. The auction was pulled because the item was "damaged".
Bought a huge tent that lists for 300 bucks for 75. The listing got pulled after the seller realized the mistake.
Won an auction for a vaseline oil lamp for 50 bucks with a buyitnow at 300. The item got pulled because it was supposedly sold in his physical store.

Professor Shark posted:

I started just filming myself packing and sending my poo poo, the offer (warning) to send it to buyers/ Paypal seems enough

I wondered why that guy I bought a geiger from in the Ukraine was so insistent that I see pictures of the whole inspection and boxing and video of him handing it over to the post. Makes a lot more sense now

Tenzarin posted:

I make 100000 annually selling haunted items on ebay. Please do not destroy my business.

I would believe this is honestly legit. People are loving stupid when it comes to haunted/alien/mystical poo poo.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 25, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Professor Shark posted:

The idiots that are on there pretending they have a business instead of an online yard sale are terrible.

The dumbest thing I've seen recently was someone buying full-priced items from J Crew then selling them for an additional 20% or so. Those guys always get really angry when you make low/reasonable offers as well.

Hell, I used to have a coworker when I worked for Vlasic that would go to the company store, buy shittons of pickles for a buck a jar, then sell them on ebay for 8 bucks a pop because they were "factory fresh" when in all reality they were likely a month or so old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sheep-Goats posted:

In 2000 or so I emailed a guy an offer on a laptop and he sent back a screed about "THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!" and a bunch of poo poo like that. So I went into the IRC channel that I got my mp3s from at the time and asked them to go to their site and email in lowball offers on a laptop or two and the next day there was red text all over the site about THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!

This owns

• Locked thread