Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

AceClown posted:

Also what toppings do you lot like on your crumpets? :canofworms:
maybe i'm missing something because i don't even like crumpets at all anyway, but frankly that just sounds disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

The first one was entertaining for the North Korean well synchronised attack on the White House. But after than just a bad rehash of die hard. This one just looks all poo poo.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tintower's just excited it's not a lib dem this time, and has gone a bit ott.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Any idea what the Mail's angle here is? This has clearly gone way beyond a spot of monstering to keep their guy in line, and I'm not completely sure it's motivated by straight-up moral outrage like what they did with Stephen Lawrence.

i think the Mail's angle is that they were scooped by their rival the Sun, and are playing catch up with whatever they can get.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

e: He probably should go, because you could argue that an MP has that obligation of wellbeing to all of his constituents. However it won't be easy. Being an MP you're strictly self employed right?

No. Are you Malcolm Rifkind?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Is it really an 'an explosion with intent to endanger life' when they only intended to steal cash and didn't care either way about any lives?

They should be charged for what they did, but it should be no more and no less. 'Theft', 'causing an explosion with intent to wreck poo poo' and 'reckless negligence towards life' yes, but I don't see any proof that they intended to endanger life. Unless now we're in a full Tory government money equals life.

That's why we have the jury to decide. They've no incentive to go over the top like prosecutor & police can be.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

You can teach them the value of voting, Pissflaps.

To some extent yes, within certain segments. but non voters as a whole are notoriously stubborn on that

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

lectured me at age ten on the benefits of communism and the dangers of stalinism,
is that a fancy way of saying she told you to share your toys?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Milotic posted:

I also don't think any of the senior cabinet will break for the No campaign.

i'll take that bet

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Milotic posted:

Osborne will side with Cameron, Hammond will. May is the wildcard. She's the one who gets it in the next over immigration. But she won't want to be seen to be the one who sticks the knife in Cameron's back. Ah bugger, are we counting IDS as a senior member? Yeah, he'll break for No.

yeah, i was thinking we'd count DWP as senior. Health too, but I've no idea who's going to be in Hunt's job by the time the referendum comes round after the junior doctors strike

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol get hosed.

sadly we all will be getting hosed by continuing conservative government

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

dispatch_async posted:

Are you prepared to vote and campaign for a Labour party that promises tough immigration controls and an EU exit (the only way of achieving reduced immigration)? Only 15% of voters agree with Labour on immigration. Fifteen percent! Labour won't win another general election until they give up on an immigration policy that only the hardcore far left in the UK support.

I don't accept the premise of your question

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Say what you will about Liz Kendall, but I doubt she'd have had a member of her shadow cabinet resign on live tv. The utter contempt these MP's have for Corbyn is staggering.

Neither has Corbyn had

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Cos it's poo poo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Doughty wasn't a member of the shadow cabinet was my point. Just a junior shadow minister.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

You're right.
Your campaign mug from from an election where Labour ran on a platform of restricting immigration and lost proves that the only way they could win in 2020 / 2025 is to run on a platform of restricting immigration and leaving the EU if that still exists and were in it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Falafel gives me the shits. Apple juice does too actually. I still enjoy both, however.

Whatever turns you on

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This isn't new. Time tabling of this exam schedule has taken into account Ramadan for years now.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

For a man who promised to bow out of politics after losing the last mayoral election, and who doesn't actually hold any office or elected position Livingstone's become pretty vocal recently.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Good suggestions all. But don't think any are within the mayor's power sadly

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jeza posted:

If we're here to hate on pioneering ethnic MPs, I loving hate Keith Vaz and his stupid face.

Are you the one who's bullied Vaz off Twitter?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ofcom have absolutely no remit over the BBC (yet) so don't waste your time complaining to them.

Fans posted:

Channel 4's a different matter. It's still poo poo, but Channel 4 isn't state funded and doesn't have to remain impartial.
all TV news in the UK are required to be impartial, not just the the state funded BBC. it's saved us from Sky News becoming in the style of Fox News.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

An articulate and devastating takedown of the recent behaviour of the Blairites from small c conservative Tim Stanley:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12088221/Jeremy-Corbyns-Labour-critics-have-got-more-cheek-than-a-baboons-bottom.html

Fixed your link

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Yeah pretty much, but at least with the public sector you tend to have inquiries and consequences. If Jimmy Saville had been a private company he'd have been given a new contract, or at least had to bow out for while (replaced by Simmy Javille)

Probably not the best example since Saville in fact never faced any consequences

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Kuenssberg has apparently instructed to keep her head down for a few days so this all gets forgotten about.

Probably for the best, since it was the gloating blog post that caused all the fuss last night / today.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

If all this achieves is getting her gurning mug off screen for a few days i'll count it as a victory.

On balance I think it would have been better not to keep the disorganised reshuffle in the news for an extra day, and give this Doughty chap a higher profile than he deserves. But mostly the controversy seems to have been ignored or kept quite a low profile, as most people outside the clique just don't care, so it's probably not done much harm.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"I don't know why Jeremy gave me this job" - our new shadow defence secretary.

Jesus loving Christ, what is wrong with these people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-a6802721.html

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Not a Twat posted:

In context it doesn't sound nearly so bad. To me it sounds like she was avoiding agreeing to the suggestion that Jeremy only appointed her because she opposed Trident.

In which case she should have countered with a positive reason for her to have the job that was more plausible than the (negative) that's she's only their to agree with Corbyn one one issue.
Not giving an alternative just implies that the suggested reason really is correct, but she doesn't want to admit it. Or hasn't a clue.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jabby posted:

Do you mean 'these people' the press or 'these people' Labour MPs?

Because all she did was reply "I don't know" in response to the question "Were you picked so Jeremy can get rid of Trident?", followed by explaining her background and relevant experience. It's a bit of a dumb answer because obviously her first sentence can be jumped on by the press as some kind of admission of incompetence rather than an admission she doesn't know the mind of our glorious JC, but there you go.

Not expecting her to read JC's mind, but you would expect it to have come up in conversation between the two of them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously. Someone should loving hang for this,
i think you're overreacting don't you?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm drunk, horny and alone all the time and I've never propositioned a 17 year old.
sorry about your boring adolescence

it would've been ok to proposition 17 year olds still when you started drinking at 18

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Another member of the Shadow Cabinet resigns, this time the Shadow Attorney General Catherine McKinnel

"Another" is an odd way to spell "first".
Worrying if this marks an escalation in that regard.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

To be fair to the BBC, they did publish afterwards they were trying to clarify with the government if that figure included the emergency care people.

I'd decline to publish figures prior to actually knowing what they're supposed to mean. But I guess that's why I'm not a journalist.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

(apart from the fact they exist at all - I think they're illegal in Scotland now, aren't they?)

Yeah since the 80s

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Exactly the same response everyone else got.
Fair enough if everyone's sent in variations on the same complaint.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Sucks to be whoever doesn't get their flood defences till the 2030s

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

The report of the transgender equality inquiry is now out.

The Good
[list]
[*]"X" markers on passports for non-binary people must be introduced.

Can't really be bothered reading the report myself. Did it give a reason for choosing that over removing gender from all passports? Since MPs have been bringing it up recently it'd be an odd omission.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm surprised those posts weren't filled up in the initial formation of the Shadow Cabinet. They seem pretty standard.

I'll try to do some research on this little lot like I did with the last crop of additions.

Perhaps because Corbyn was struggling to find people willing to accept posts under him.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Make it legal to advertise jobs for non-tories only.

Think it already is if you can show it's a relevant requirement. Roles in the Labour Party for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

Here's a map of signatures on the petition "Allow trans people to self-define their own gender" in England.

Ten hottest constituencies: Cambridge (291), Brighton Pavillion (252), York Central (229), Bristol West (215), Oxford East (203), Lewisham Deptford (176), Edinburgh East (153), Sheffield Central (146), Leeds Central (135), Hove (133).

I wonder what links those ten places.

Although that isn't LGBTory research, it's research by the (LGBTory committee member) Zoe Kirk-Robinson. She's not bad for a Tory, mind you.

An easy mistake to make, but Edinburgh East isn't in England.

• Locked thread