Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
SRA fastest in 2nd practice :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you're the slowest car, and two cars are faster and you don't beat them, you kinda shouldn't be in the race IMO

the guys going home this year are the slowest cars from this year, so gently caress em

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
oh I'd also like to join hands and say a prayer for SRA today

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this happened because I cannot purchase GMS merchandise

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Chase just told JoLo to dump him and JoLo blinked.

That kid is gonna win a shitload of races.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that was a race

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Needs More Ditka posted:

I used to watch NASCAR around the late 2000s, and I guess I just kind of fell out of it for some reason, but I'm looking to get back in. I've watched some Youtubes of the Keselowski feuds with Harvick, Hamlin, Gordon, and Kenseth, and I'm wondering if there's a reason to dislike him other than he's a young, hot-head chaos racer? I kind of have a soft spot for chaos racers, and I don't tend to be fond of the veteran "enforcers" of made-up sports standards, and that's kind of the narrative I got from my viewing, but I don't want to be wrong and start rooting for an actual headhunter.

Also Kasey Kahne was my guy way back when, does he still have smoke coming out of his engine once a race?

Kes is 21st Century Darrell Waltrip

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
In news completely from left field, SHR will field Fords starting in 2017.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

anotherblownsave posted:

This struck me as totally odd. Does Ford have an edge over Chevy at this point?

Not at the moment. What they do have is a boatload of cash and a renewed interest in other forms of motorsport now that the GT is out in the wild.

This is Ford pivoting from the Roush heydays, through the last couple of years not caring about anything but the GT, and now what is likely a renewed NASCAR effort with SHR as the anchor team.

It's a good move for SHR, bad for me 'cause I ain't rooting for no Ford.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I wonder if this is related to Haas F1 somehow....

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

half of their car is built by ferrari and they use ferrari's wind tunnel to design it (windshear isn't legal in F1) so it would be quite an enormous undertaking for them to change engine suppliers

well that's good because I don't think Ford has an F1 engine atm

shame Haas signed that lifetime contract with Ferrari, though

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

don't be an rear end, viking, you know fuckall about F1. the entire raison d'etre of the haas team is to build as little as possible in-house and thus advertise the haas brand for as little cost as possible, while still punching above what a team on their budget is normally capable of doing. they don't have any facilities of their own with which to design a car. they don't build any of the car themselves. the body is built by dallara. engine, transmission, suspension, anything that ferrari can legally sell them, they do. to suggest that ford could replace ferrari would be suggesting that haas invests hundreds millions more into effectively building a brand new team. you're suggesting that haas build their own wind tunnel. and you're suggesting that he's scrapped his entire plan before the car has even turned a wheel in anger.

like I said man, shame he signed that lifetime contract with Ferrari and can't plan to join up with Ford at some point in the future

good thing we have F1 experts like yourself to keep us in check

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

why do you insist on being such an twat for literally no reason at all

because Haas partnered with Hendrick for literally the same reasons he partnered with Ferrari and now he's leaving that alliance

it's almost as if sometimes people use smaller plans to achieve a bigger goal

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

it's almost like haas' partnership with ferrari is vastly more involved than his with hendrick and would take years to get out of

it's almost like you know literally nothing about f1 and should stop running your mouth

so they do have a lifetime contract with Ferrari is what you're telling me

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

no i'm tell you to stop talking about a series that you don't follow and know nothing about

yet here you are, in this thread

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ECU_Drummer posted:

Wat in the gently caress is going on here

Smoke selling his stake in SHR, Haas teaming with Boeing and Ford to dominate F1

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also factoring in is Jr driving for HMS and not being allowed to own a team for which he doesn't drive.

There's zero stopping Jr. from leaving Hendrick and joining JRM

gets around both the cap and the current driver issues

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ECU_Drummer posted:

I think that happens in a few years. When his motivation to drive starts to die down I think.

possibly, just saying that JRM joining up next year isn't a major cockblock to anything

Hendrick and Jr. could get it done if that's a move that makes sense to them

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Arnold Layne posted:

Why not wait until the end of the season or at least close to it to announce this? Won't this hurt their chances this year if Chevy and Hendrick decide to be bitter about it and somewhat cut them off of resources?

They most likely have everything they need for the season already.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

Janet Guthrie, the first female to compete in a NASCAR premier series superspeedway race.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR CUP SERIES SUPER SPEEDWAY race. Daytona Beach =/= Daytona International.

#1 that's Cup

#2 Daytona Beach is long enough to qualify as a superspeedway

#3 they ran Darlington in 1950 which took balls no one in this thread have

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well I mean yeah ok you can have a narrow definition for a pioneer but it's kinda odd that they'd select Guthrie for an award when literally a dozen women were in the sport ahead of her

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Guthrie's average finish is probably higher than Danica's at this point, she was a solid top 20 IIRC

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Atlanta is one of those tracks that had a crazy fanbase years ago, but demographics of the region are starting to pass it by.

I think part of the reason NASCAR put their race now was to force them off the schedule tbh

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

leica posted:

Lol he completely locks up the rear tire he should know better than that he's a racer!

lol that's how you know he's been on a dirtbike before

most morons lock up the front, with hilarious results

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

So looking up an NPR article which was a summary of 3 good articles of the week and a facebook comment opened the world to me that there is a conspiracy that Dale Earnhardt never died. :wtc:

I see him like 10 times every time I go to the race track, regardless of the track or type of car

hat, glasses, mustache, Goodwrench jacket, he's piss poor at hide and seek just saying

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Needs More Ditka posted:

Take a shot everytime someone says "lower down whateverthefuck package." I don't even know what you ridiculous people are talking about but I do know that I just sat through three hours of a Harvick Johnson borefest so they must not be that great.

this is why we have the chase and caution clocks, everyone

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hey wicka

quote:

“I think it was just a business decision, it brings stability and give us a vision for the future” Haas explains of the switch. “Ford has a long term vision of what they want to do in racing and parallels what we want to do. GM has been great to us over the years and we were not really looking to change but the synergies that Ford brought to the table we just could not pass that up.” With Fords global motorsport programme going through a significant change at present it must be wondered what those synergies are, could Haas for example move into the WEC with the new GTE Ford programme or even bring Ford back into Formula 1? Haas smiles and refuses to be drawn only stating that “I think running at Le Mans would be great, the Indy 500, Le Mans, Daytona and Monaco too. Those are all big races, I like the idea of doing that.”

link

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hit the engines, turn the boat, she's going under the keel!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we live in a simulation, I'm loving convinced of it

like so bad that I might cancel my Rift preorder for fear that if I jack in like that the program will end

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it was at least 29% better than 2015, too

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch posted:

On the one side, I get that. Like, if he'd done this with ANY other candidate I'd just be like yeah cool fine, but Trump. I mean, the dude just also got an endorsement from the Grand Dragon of the goddamn KKK. That is going to disprove the adage that any publicity is good publicity.

in all fairness every election cycle has the "the KKK endorsed WHO?!?!" story and at this point it's fairly tiring

CBJSprague24 posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump's referred to NASCAR as some combination of "dumbass hick sport", "anybody could do it", or "cars going around in circles" in his lifetime, and yet France wants to rub elbows with him. It definitely feels like an attention grab and, much like most everything else, feels like one which could backfire in a major way.

Monte Dutton, about the only current or former NASCAR media member I know of who has the stones to complain, is flabbergasted.

Trump was part of the group trying to build a superspeedway somewhere in NY back in the 90's

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/video/trump-speedway-almost-happened-010516

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 1, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I only do because loving city transplants here voted it down because of "noise concerns" despite it being potentially located in the buffer zone that loving C-5's used daily

one meeting away from having a high banked 2.5 mile superspeedway/road course/drag strip/dirt oval complex 5 miles from my house and they voted it down :negative:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's a NY Times article when the project first started.

I dunno if it would've killed off the Glen, that's 5 hours from here. Would've hurt Pocono possibly, but if it was built prior to 2000 like they wanted you'd likely see it as the last race of the year and as big as the Daytona 500.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

:laffo: to everything you just said.

45 minutes from NYC with direct rail access bro, it was gonna be a crazy facility

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

[looks at all the failed LA tracks, nods]

good reasoning, we better sell the football teams before anyone finds out

e- reminder that within this "non racing fan area" we have dozens of tracks (which LA doesn't). we get 7-10k people for Eastern States, Syracuse would draw 70k. you would've got 70k at that track consistently just from the race fans outside NYC

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 2, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

"Last race of the year" in New York, in November. mhmm mhmm
"as big as Daytona 500" again, in new york, in november. mhmm mhmm
"the huge racing fanbase in New York" [looks at attendance at the Brickyard] mhmm mhmm

This is some subpar trolling by you, my friend.

unlike most of the nation, northeast fans can tolerate the cold, it's 50's and sunny here in mid November

also I don't think Indianapolis is dead center in the Northeast megalopolis where a fifth of the US population lives within 200 miles

e- in November the Hudson Valley receives 3.5 inches of rain/snowfall historically, I bet Florida posts more! lol and the average high temp is in the mid 50's

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean, yeah, it's short track country? But not really because our short tracks are 1/2+

It was going to be more of a Talladega clone, it was wider than Daytona. 300,000 people like they say? Doubtful. If they held a race there this year? 100k easy. Even if I concede the late year date, put that poo poo in May or September and you'll pack the loving place. Remember, New Hampshire is always loving packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Lazer posted:

Don't know if this would be up any of you guy's alley. Some game company is trying to crowd fund a dirt racing game. This is the link to the Reddit post about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comments/48mnz3/new_dirt_track_racing_game_crowd_funded_on/

I've been watching this, but it's the former Ratbag team so I don't have high hopes for realism. Probably still be fun, though.

rFactor remains top dog for dirt sim racing for now.

e- see, this part here

quote:

Dynamic Track Conditions (the track changes as you race on it. The groove you run on eventually darkens and gets slower which means you will have to search around the track for a faster groove)

It's not always necessarily true that a rubbered over groove gets slower. At my local track, for instance, the big block guys sometimes set their car up to utilize it and they drive the track like it's pavement. The sprint car guys do it too, because the type of clay that we use allows this. Not all clay is created equal, and such broad statements like the above don't leave me with any hope that different tracks will be unique, just that the surface will do the exact same thing every race with a background swap. That's not a dynamic track surface, that's a scripted event.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2016

• Locked thread