Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

spamman posted:

Afl tables publishes that data too.

Edit: For example

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2016/091020160328.html#prog

Awesome find, thanks.
I normally get all my stats from there but didn't even think to look at it this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

monolithburger posted:

Unfortunately you need the radio to be the least delayed thing at its source, streaming radio would delay it beyond that of broadcast TV (iirc).

Also, due to AFL/Telstra bullshit you can't actually stream radio without going through the AFL website/app, there were direct links to those a couple of years back but :hurr: Telstra am webdev.

Actually the links are still there, they just changed the numbers.
I used the ones in this post last year.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2114433

I used to open the link in that thread and then pause my IQ box (or PVR) and get it synced up that way.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

AFL 2017 - When you stir chocolate sauce into a bowl of turds, does it suddenly make it edible?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Humes predict-o-tron 2000 looks decent for round 2 on most results if not margins. Only two I'm having second thoughts over are West Coast vs Hawthorn and Freo vs Gold Coast. Probably leaning West Coast unless the Hawks magic up some big ins, especially with Hodge now gone. Freo and Gold Coast is hard because there's a real lack of round 1 barometer for either of them. Gold Coast played a nab cup game, and Freo didn't bother turning up for the season start. Think I'll have to go with Freo at Subi but wouldn't expect it to be a 40 point win for them.

Wait, you actually think Richmond will beat Collingwood?
I hope you're right, but....

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Memento posted:

Justin Clarke has retired from the game at the ripe old age of 22. Sounds like it was the freakest of freak accidents that gave him the concussion and PCS - falling out of a marking contest forehead-first onto a team-mate's knee.

He's got a solid career plan, which will definitely be longer and might actually earn him more money than playing AFL - he put aside plans to study aeronautical engineering to play football.

Just read about this, it's scary as hell.

The Age posted:

Justin Clarke left home to drive to university. He got halfway and stopped. He had driven the road hundreds of times but suddenly he had no idea which way to go.

He knew that he knew the way but his mind was blank. He had a choice of two roads but he sat there with the car idling and traffic banking behind him, looking at the way ahead, not knowing where the roads led or which way to go. So he chose one, the wrong one, and was late for university.

The most positive thing they said was my memory function will return to normal eventually but they also said no more contact sport for life.

"That rattled me a fair bit because I couldn't work it out. I knew I should know this and I didn't know what was going on," said Clarke.

Lions v Kangaroos
Justin Clarke keeps tabs on Jarrad Waite last year. Photo: Getty Images
"I always had a good sense of direction and this was a route I took all the time but suddenly I had no idea how to get there. It was pretty confronting. That really rattled me."

Clarke was living in a fog. Weeks earlier, in mid January, he had been at training with the Brisbane Lions when he flew into a marking contest and was pushed in the back as he jumped. As he tumbled forward to the ground his forehead cracked into the knee of a player running past.

He was taken to hospital fearing spinal damage and concussion. X-rays cleared him of spinal trouble and head fractures but the concussion was severe. After a week the symptoms were still strong. Eight weeks later they had barely abated: the dizziness, the headaches, the memory loss was just as severe.

"The immediate three weeks after the injury I have no memory at all," he said.

"I was just at home but I have no memory of anything in that time. I was sleeping a lot, then I couldn't sleep. I had shocking headaches.

"I couldn't watch sport on TV because it moved too fast so I was watching bad sitcoms that didn't have much movement - and not much storyline either. The days passed really quickly."

The blow to the head has now ended Clarke's career. On Thursday morning, he was due to tell his teammates he was retiring from football. At 22 and after 56 games, as rival clubs formulated big offers to lure the key defender away - offers he would likely have rejected in favour of the Lions - his career is now over.

It was not a choice to retire; the doctors made that decision for him. Not only was he told not to play AFL football again, he was told he can't play any form of contact sport for the rest of his life.

Clarke is a highly intelligent man. He is studying aeronautical engineering and got his pilot's licence while still at high school. He finished in the elite of his VCE year in South Australia and hopes to do his PhD in supersonic research. He hopes to work on fighter jets – "wings are where it is at" – working out ways to reduce the sonic boom.

His education, intelligence and career hopes, though, were irrelevant to the doctor's advice. Whether he wanted to be a plumber, farmer or aeronautical engineer, the advice would have been the same: his brain could not sustain more knocks.

That said, the immediate aftermath of the concussion left him anxious about the impact on his study and future.

His visual memory was badly damaged. He had always quickly absorbed what he read when he studied but now had to read things five times for it to sink in. He fretted that the damage would be permanent.

After the injury he was assessed by a neuropsychologist and his memory readings were out of kilter. His cognitive function was in the top fifth percentile of the population - thus he could still drive - but his memory was in the bottom 25th percentile – so he could not remember where he was going. The testing also detected the problem with his visual memory.

"The visual memory was the most confronting thing for me. It was one third of what it was expected to be," he said.

Then there was the physical pain and impairment.

"My speech was slurred and I would trail off in conversation and forget what I was going to say halfway through saying something. Shocking headaches and dizziness, I couldn't get out of bed," he said.

A week ago he went with his manager Matt Bain to the AFL Players Association in Melbourne. Clarke could not climb the short flight of stairs to the door.

"He had to stop halfway," Bain said. "He was dizzy and faint, he was complaining of headaches and this is 10 weeks after the injury.

"He is 22 and should be approaching the prime of his career but that his AFL career is irrelevant to his well-being now."

Clarke had already resolved that he needed to retire but while in Melbourne he went for a third opinion. He attended the Florey Institute offices of Associate Professor Paul McCrory, neurologist and sports physician, and his colleague Dr Michael Makdissi.

Among their conclusions was that Clarke's concussion was not the result of cumulative head knocks but of one severe head trauma.

"The most positive thing they said was my memory function will return to normal eventually but they also said no more contact sport for life," Clarke said.

"And that is probably the hardest part of it. Obviously I love playing in the AFL but this means never going home and playing at my local club, never playing basketball, cricket is a grey area but I doubt I will do that."

The symptoms persist but he is told they will slowly abate. He is unable to fly for 12 months because of the symptoms that altitude brings on.

"It's very much a heart rate related thing. As soon as my heart rate gets up to 100-110 beats a minute I get dizzy and faint and get a big headache and my body says I want to sleep," he said.

Living in a two-storey Queenslander in Brisbane meant whenever he returned home and climbed the stairs to the upstairs living area he would be wiped out and need to rest.

"They said if I were to play sport I would be more likely now to receive concussion from lower impact knocks and the recovery time would be longer and the symptoms more severe. It's untenable I play and not be healthy," he said.

The battle to deal with what has happened has not been his alone. There is the impact on his girlfriend, her family, his teammates, his housemate Tom Cutler, and on his parents at home on the farm north of Adelaide.

His dad broke his back in a car accident years ago – he made a full recovery – but the initial phone call home about the injury informed the Clarkes that their son had suffered possible spinal damage.

"That upset Mum quite a bit because it brought back a lot of stuff about Dad's accident. Dad really struggled with hearing me on the phone stutter along and lose track of everything. It was not particularly pleasant for them," he said.

"I have no regrets about playing AFL and pursuing an AFL career.

"It upsets me that I will never be able to go back out on the field with my mates in Brisbane or back home. That aspect of life has been taken away from me."

The upside of having his football dream ended for him is that now he can concentrate on the studies he had to shelve while he chased a football. Not all footballers are so unlucky as to lose their career so quickly, but few are so lucky as to have another career they so eagerly want to commence.

He will now return to university as a 22-year-old and still part of his own generation of students rather than be the 30-to-35-year-old ex-footballer starting out on a PhD.

"If there is a silver lining it is that now I am able to go back to uni and pursue that passion that had ground to a stop because of footy."

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Brickhands is still one of my favourite nicknames of all time.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Some guy called up SEN when I was listening during the week and was super angry about the drugs stuff saying they shouldn't be allowed to take drugs, holiday or not. One of the hosts then asked if he was drug tested while he was working or while he was on holiday. There was a small bit of silence and the caller goes "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN, THESE BLOKES ARE ROLE MODELS"

I wish I'd had my bingo card handy.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Cheers to the Dees for out Richmonding Richmond this round.

Should we start an AFL related Wrestlemania thread tomorrow?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hawthorn is John cena. Older fans are sick to death of him but can't not respect his work, and he shifts a fuckton of kids merch.

People used to hate them but then they embraced the hate and people kinda came around to them?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

thepokey posted:

Basil Zempalis is Michael Hayes

YES!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I took today off work to watch Wrestlemania and went and bought a whole bunch of beer to drink and then I worked out the show starts at 9am.

There could be a whole bunch of midday drunk posting.
Whoops.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

There is some oval office in the lightning Port Adelaide jumper sitting in the loving front row of Wrestlemania behind the announcers.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Chris Hemsworth on the other hand....

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gently caress the names, bring back woolen lace up jumpers!
I want to see fingers getting ripped off at the knuckle!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Which one is you TG?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

redweird posted:

I think a compromise would be to only add names to jumpers when the player has recieved a nickname. This is pretty drat australian and also would satisfy the apparent need to alienate people new to the sport.

Like Lance Franklin's would just say "Buddy", Ballantyne's would just be grawlix, Hodgey's would say "Good Bloke" etc etc

Wrasslin promoter Vince McMahon already did it.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

Man I had to take a double take at Jake King on the Marngrook Footy Show, it's certainly an interesting look he's got going on now

Isn't he massively jaKKKKKed now?

It's amazing that with all the access to sports doctors and the supplements he would have had at RFC that he didn't get huge.
Maybe since he has left footy he has met some NEW doctors who have even NEWER supplements.

Edit : Just saw a pic of him from the show - he looks like Skrillex.
Apparently he is enormous nowadays though.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I have been thinking about taking a holiday OS in September for the last 6 weeks or so but it would have meant missing week 2 and the prelim finals and before the season started I was thinking "man but what if Richmond actually get their poo poo together and win a final? What if they finish top 4, win and have a prelim at home!"

So anyway, I think I'm going to book my flights today.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

With Mitchell he's always going to get a ton of the ball and it will always be in close. It's just nigh impossible to stop a player like Mitchell

But if you can tag him and make it more difficult for him to dispose of the ball where he ordinarily would, isn't that a win.
Coaches so often laud players that can halve a contest, wouldn't that be a goal for tagging Sam?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Shmoses posted:

Vince has been offered a game

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

This might be as bad a jumper clash as I can recall.

https://twitter.com/TheHolyBoot/status/719692541616992257

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Since when have contracts ever got in the way of sacking coaches?

Isn't there a cap on how much the footy dept can spend these days and if it's over you're basically paying a luxury tax into the equalization fund?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

So Essendon players were found guilty but Dank insists he didn't give them anything illegal (but won't swear to it) and Bock is found not guilty and Dank insists he did give him something illegal.

What an enormous oval office that bloke is.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

At least he's lost every defamation case he's gone after

Re-watch his interview with Mike Sheehan if you ever forget how much of an absolute knob he is

It really speaks to the desire to win in these clubs that someone who is so obviously a shitheel from the outside is welcomed into clubs because there is a chance he might get them a flag.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

How are they going to play a game in China and not give up a home game for it?!

They're going to pay a poor club to give up one of theirs.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Kochy is on 360 at the moment and Gerard is pressing him on what ground they'll be playing on in China and he is skirting the answer terribly.

Basically, they have signed an agreement to play another team, for that team to have to give up a home game and they don't have a loving ground to play on.

pkid fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 14, 2016

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Koshy pls.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Richmond's overuse of the handball is reminiscent of the Terry Wallace era hospital handball Tigers.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

These Tigers are loving horrible.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Don't let Cotchin near the ball.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Delist Taylor Hunt tonight.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Also Shaun Hampson.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

This legit has to be the worst game of footy I've ever seen Trent Cotchin play.

Where can I find live clanger stats?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Cotchin 4 clangers, 56% disposal efficiency.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

watching 360.

In their decision to send May direct to tribunal, the MRP coded the incident as per usual.

They graded the incident as careless rather than intentional.

loving ludicrous.

360 made a good point that there used to be a category called Reckless, which no longer applies. It would probably have fit in that category had it still been available.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Going to be pretty funny if they play Deledio with no match prep and he redoes his quad.

He doesn't really have a quad. He has been able to run with no problem but hasn't been able to kick without pain.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Hi thread. Footy sucks, especially Richmond.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

For Richmond to be competitive quickly they would basically need to trade some top tier players for draft picks and try and get something like 3 picks in the top 10 (assuming they'll finish low this year).

The biggest problem is there isn't much talent to trade that would garner the sort of picks they need. Deledio is too old and injury prone to trade, I think Jack is untouchable which really only leaves Rance, who you'd also think is untouchable, and Cotchin.

Has a captain ever been traded? I think Leigh Colbert was traded as Geelong captain but I think that was per his request.
I'd trade Cotch if you could get a top 10 pick for him.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sack the board

Why? Dimma was always going to be the coach this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

thepokey posted:

Was having this exact conversation with my Richmond supporting friend on Saturday. Pre-game he was absolutely convinced that they would feast on the carcass of a weakened Port and this was going to get their season back on track and start a winning streak.

You mate is an idiot.

I met up with a mate of mine at the VFL. We watched them get hosed and then begrudgingly walked to the G knowing we were going to have our pants pulled down.

• Locked thread