Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

550 Linear meters (1800ft for those in the 3rd world) of Blackbutt timber decking.

Dis is gonna look awesome :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ferremit posted:

550 Linear meters (1800ft for those in the 3rd world) of Blackbutt timber decking.

Dis is gonna look awesome :D

So we started with this...

Went and got load #1 of timber...

Few hours later got this...

Threw on some plywood so you didnt break your loving ankles going in and out of that door...

Nearly loving died of heat exhaustion getting to this, and was seriously considering sacrificing a cat to whatever pagan god would deliver me a breeze...

And all my loving batteries for the Milwaukee gear went flat here, im about 3-4 boards short of finishing

Thats deck 1 of three, and the smallest of the three at that- this is 5.5m x 1.5m, the next one is 6.0m x 1.5m and then the last ones 7m x 4m!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

literally a fish posted:

I drove 850km (530ish miles) today in the Fiesta

oh please bring the sweet embrace of death

That seems to be a ford thing- I drove 650km in a ford ranger a few weeks ago and felt like i wanted to die by the end of it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ah Adelaide, where you use the arse end of a tropical cyclone to lower the bushfire risk for a few weeks...

Nearly had the entire months average rainfall in an hr this morning. Shits hosed!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

wallaka posted:

That, Elijah Craig, and Bulliet is good stuff for $25.

Oh gently caress off...

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_383121/buffalo-trace-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-700ml
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_385066/elijah-craig-12-year-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon-750ml
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_140812/bulleit-frontier-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whisky-700ml

jamal posted:

I keep meaning to get a bottle of eagle rare, which is made at buffalo trace but is the next step up. I recently had someone suggest basil hayden's but that is more like 45-50 a bottle, and then I have a friend who goes through a lot of woodford reserve. Currently having a jameson 12 year which is pretty good.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_383119/eagle-rare-single-barrel-bourbon-700ml

Someones making a tidy profit bending us over and loving us on liquor prices. And thats before you get to the spiders in the shelves.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

So my shitbox Mazda's a lot less smoky these days, at least on startup... a goon had suggested Liqui-Moly and it seems like that may have done some good? Whatever the reason, it used to blow massive clouds of oil smoke whenever I started it, and now it only does that sometimes and with less volume.

Even if I get smoke on startup, by the time the choke turns off it isn't smoking anymore. I can drive around and there's no smoke. But if I drive it for more than a few minutes, it starts to blow smoke out the tailpipe again. Not as thick as on a bad startup, but it'll definitely leave a trail of thin whitish-blue smoke.

My uneducated guess is that there's a bunch of oil and poo poo in the exhaust and especially the cat, and once the cat gets hot it starts burning that poo poo off. Does that seem feasible?

When i blew the turbo in my landcruiser it pumped a few litres of oil down the exhaust. I dont have a cat or a muffler (bar a resonator about 4" from the tailpipe tip) but it was enough to coat the inside and soak the flex joint with oil.

When the new turbo went on, for about 2 weeks the thing would smoke like a bastard every time i wailed on it going up a hill and got the EGT's right up and started to burn it off. I just thrashed the guts out of it for a day or two and it obviously either coated all the oil with diesel soot and stopped it burning or burnt it all off.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Getting half cut on a sunday night before you have to be up for work at 5:45am on monday? Why the hell not! Its not like they've made me the temp supervisor while everyone is off on leave or anything!

And drat Booker Noe's bourbon is nice for a Jim Beam product! Glad this was a gift tho, its painfully expensive in Australia... https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_52211/booker-s-bourbon-750ml , mostly because of the alcohol excise on a 63% spirit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That and playing /randomnswf roulette

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

This is certainly a blast from the 90's

I cant remember the last time that the liters went up faster than the dollars on a fuel pump! 18 months ago i was standing at Mt Dare Hotel pumping fuel that cost me $2.50 a litre!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

In laws are killing me.

No, I don't want to say grace. I want to eat. If god is real I'm sure saying a prayer before I eat won't change things.

All while talking about how their pastor just got found out to be having an affair, along with other church drama.

But you're a horrible sinner if you're not going. Plus my cat Bowie got made fun of because he's male and has a pink collar (it's all he'll loving wear, plus he's a runt and named after David Bowie what the gently caress do you think he'd have?).

Maybe I drank too much tonight. They're not BAD, just very loving different from how we actually live.

Mine just call us. Constantly. Every. loving. Day.

Or they do poo poo like send us text messages at 6 loving 30 am on a sunday morning to tell us that its "Raining in Canberra"

Canberra is 1200kms away from where we live, outside of Adelaide. I dont really give a flying gently caress whether its raining in canberra or not at 6:30am on a loving sunday morning.

And they're looking at moving over here when they retire later in the year. loving Hooooray.... They havent quite worked out that their daughter moved half a CONTINENT away from them for a reason, but nooo they have to come move over here to annoy us some more...

I told them if they moved within a 45 min drive of my house, i was burning their house down.

Again, they honestly aren't bad people, they just. don't. get. it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I cracked the shits with my 16gb Iphone 5 today after i deleted all the videos off it, and two apps, and it still told me I had insufficient space to take a panorama of the work we were doing clearing up one of our booked sites for a wedding.

So I bitched to my mate who works for the major telco here and hes bringing me home a new iPhone 6s 64GB phone on a new plan, which im claiming 50% of for work purposes (which is about right surprisingly looking at my bills) at tax time, and will end up costing me less than im currently paying! Hoorah!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I got to watch a cyclist get nailed by a cop with a laser this morning for speeding and overtaking me on a solid white line.

I giggled.

Wonder what kind of penalty he cops?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Tomarse posted:

The 9 1/2 year old managed 11 miles in adverse conditions without complaint :) even after the part where it took 3 of us to extract her out of the middle of a lake of mud and cow poo poo where she was stuck solid!

Because thats basically the best thing EVER to a just on 10yr old- Not only did she get to play in the mud, but she was encouraged to do it!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Reality exceeded talent...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My valentines day was "get up at 8:30 and clean up the kitchen from last nights dinner because oh god the inlaws have randomly turned up. Like they did yesterday. And friday afternoon too"

And then they DIDNT LEAVE. I owe my dad some scotch or something because he took my father in law away for a few hours to go look at a block of land they want to buy and gave me a few hours of respite. Which was nice, except my better half was off shopping with her mum because gently caress valentines day and spending time with your loved one, girly time with your mother is faaaar more important.

All loving weekend. I didnt get anything done because i had to play host.

gently caress

So instead we're going to dinner with a couple we've become friends with in the new estate we've both built in on tuesday, then going to see Deadpool afterwards!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Alternator in the landcruiser decided to take a massive poo poo this morning. No charge for you!

Not that I wasnt expecting it... the last time this alt took a poo poo it was a sunday afternoon, nothing was open and i was broke, so it got cracked open, found the diode pack had detonated itself, so I scrounged around in my pile of junk, found an old alternator from a prado and pilfered that diode pack.

Apparently running a 90A alternators diode pack in 120A alternators frame isnt a long term solution- who knew? :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I walked in the other day to see my boy cat Isaac completely ignoring the FULL water bowls in the bathroom and head down in the toilet drinking from that... Next time I catch him doing that he's going for a swim so he doesn't get used to it, cos one day he's going to drink a freshly cleaned toilet and wind up at the vets with a gut full of chemicals...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

New mattress day!

Old one was getting on 6yrs old and was so hosed i was waking up with pinched nerves in my shoulders and the better half was getting back pain. The new one was $3K, had it for $1500 on a half price for Aus made mattresses sale with a Manchester pack. Didn't want the Manchester pack, so they knocked it down to $1100 and for $15 they would deliver it and take the old one away with them! Score!

Old one was an inch BELOW the bed frame edge...

Isaac approved!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

It was a very cheap mattress to start with, and yeah, they're only good for 10yrs if you buy a good one to start with!

Plus waking up and not being able to lift your arms above horizontal was getting very old, very fast.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo this mattress is like lying on a bed made of clouds and awesome. It's also 3" higher, which is mildly disconcerting

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bandman posted:

So, pending a physical tomorrow (which I should pass no prob), I got the job that I interviewed for :toot:

They're being super cryptic about the pay and not discussing numbers yet, which is concerning. Whatever, I'm just happy to have benefits again.

As long as its not what my first contract said, you'll be fine...

Spot the problem!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Enourmo posted:

heres the thing i did all the right things that you're "supposed" to do a while back

i had a job that i was going to every day (solid routine, plus something resembling income/respectability)

i went to therapy and was on meds

i was lifting weights, lost 30 pounds and almost to the point where i didn't feel revulsion when i looked in a mirror

you know how that ended up? i started feeling down, failed a benchpress horribly, stormed out the gym (haven't been back more than a couple weeks in a row since), didn't eat for three days and spiralled into the worst depression i'd had to that point

and then my meds ran out

i did everything right and still hit a loving pit how the gently caress can i bring myself to believe it'll ever work?

E: like that's not rhetorical i genuinely want to know how i can convince myself that was a fluke and not the inevitable march of doom

Cos if your entire life is nothing but beer and skittles and you never run into a pit, your probably dreaming. People hit low points- its kinda a thing about being human. The trick is not to focus on that. Hell, i pulled a wrong lever at work once because i was tired and the end result was shearing off a diamond coring bit and 60m of pipe down a drill hole- Total bill for that fuckup? $110K to fix it. Did i feel like poo poo for it? Oh gently caress yes. Have I let it affect me at all? No- I'm basically the go too plant operator in my new job now.

We used to joke that my uncle carried a sack with him everywhere he went. In that sack he put everything hurtful, all the negative poo poo that ever happened to him, all the wrongs ever done against him and anything that didnt go right for him. Every now and again he'd put down the sack, pull something out, look it over, handle it, think about it and reminisce on the hurt it caused him. He died a very sad, very lonely, very mentally unwell man at 58.

You NEED to go get counseling. If your university doesn't offer it as a service, you need to absolutely hound them to help you find one you can afford.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My boss told us the other day thats hes taken our most irritating and usless coworker and put him out doing jobs on his own before he "Has an industrial accident" :stonk:

He gets paid more than us, does less than us, can make an absolutely meaningless task last HOURS (like doing a pre-op check on a tractor. Its a 15 min tick n flick checking oils, waters, things like that) and he can make it take 3 hrs- but if you pull him up on it, he'll just say "Dont you want me to do the pre-op properly and thoroughly?"

Apparently management is worried that hes going to "fall" into the wood chipper one day!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Woo! Finally got my hands on some real Psuedorephidrine to deal with this head cold of mine. Im sick of my sinus' having a sloshing feeling...

The gov cracked down hard on the sale of real Psuedo so everyone changed their forumula to use Phenylephidrine... which doesnt loving work. Its almost at the stage where its easier to actually go and find a drug dealer, buy some ice off him and then break it down to extract the real pseudo out of it than go to the loving pharmacy and buy tablets.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I just discovered that when your sick, doing meanial tasks like changing the two kitty litters will absolutely kick your arse and leave you exhausted and sweaty!

Time to drink my body weight in scotch i think

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

T-Square posted:

I realize that cats don't really do the whole "negative reinforcement" thing, but drat, I really hope he stops clawing at the couch after just wigging out....because he got his claw stuck in the couch. :laugh:

Thats why they invented nail clippers or in a pinch, side cutters.

Claw my couch with your demented little stump claws now you bastards.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

I wish my bank would give me an EMV card already, dammit :(

The downside of being with a tiny town credit union.

:v: http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf :v:

Thats kinda what i was working off, and considering the absolutely MASSIVE problem Australia has with Ice, its probably easier to find an ice dealer than get a pharmacist to hand over proper medication.

It was funny tho- we have to show ID to be able to buy it here in Aus now, and it goes into a national database that person XYZ bought 12 tablets at location X on date xx/xx/xxxx. Stops you going from chemist to chemist to chemist getting tabs to turn into meth. First ID that came out of my wallet was my Firearms Licence. Firearms licence is the highest form of ID in Australia- Higher than drivers licence, higher than passport, higher than anything else.

It has your name, your signature and your licence class on it. No other personal details, no address, nada. Well done government!

Bankchat: I think Aus got rid of signatures all together bout 3-4 years ago now and went fully PIN and Pay Wave (contactless) has been around for a fair few years now too- $100 per transaction limit before you have to PIN, but no limit on the number of transactions per day. Which was HILARIOUS when one of my co-workers up at Pt Augusta got his GOVERNMENT credit card stolen out of the work truck before he realised it. $1K a day limit, $10K a month limit. Theif went absolutely mad with it paywaving his way around Pt Augusta- clocked up about $4.5K on it before anyone realised it was gone and the fraudulent transactions showed up on the system and someone noticed them!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I thought this is what happened during australian summerd anyways :v:

Swap "Cooled drink" for "Beer" and your pretty on the money

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

?????? I think I'm missing something here because that's not true. Passport is always the top id for anything other than birth certificate (usually rated 70/100) - other 70 rated documents are citizenship certificates and other forms of id along the lines of a passport like diplomatic papers or some forms refugee documentation. Firearms license is classed as secondry ID and rated between 30 to 40 out of 100

Well thats quite funny, because to get a firearms renewal, you need to supply 100 points of ID- And they directly list your old firearms licence as 100 points of ID! This is in SA tho, and about 5 years ago now so who knows whats changed since we went all jihadi phobic...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Got one of those wonderful head colds where it feels like someone dragged an acetone-soaked wire brush through your sinuses, and you want to go to bed at 6pm. I got incredibly tired of chugging water so I have resorted to fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice with a splash of scotch. By god, I think this will cure me.

Yeah, that sums it up perfectly- Changing kitty litter yesterday nearly killed me- absolutely exhausted and sweating like a pedophile at a wiggles concert afterwards.

i got the lovely one this morning of "Oh, that doesnt feel so bad, maybe i'll go to work today" and sat up in bed, only to FEEL all the goo in my sinus' run forward and start drooling out of my nose down my face.

WELP! not coming in today either!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Me and my roommate drank all the Black Label (12 pack for $8) so they just ordered a shut load. Love it. Of course in HS, Black Label had a 12 pack PLUS 3 BONUS CANS for the same price.

When you said Black Label, i thought you meant this

And my first thought is "he's replacing weed with liver failure" and second was "How the gently caress do you get that stuff for $8?

I cracked the shits with my PC today.... When Windows 7 off an Intel SSD was booting up in over 2 minutes, and Windows 10 in a VM on a Mechanical drive was booting up quicker and running faster.... So i bolted in a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO HD and whacked Windows 10 onto it.

SO MUCH FASTER. Went from 2:10 boots to 35 seconds POST to login screens. Much nicer PC to use and its only got dregs of the festering poo that was Win8 staining the Windows10 experience.

Now i get to reinstall everything

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

New shed gets delivered today... Im excited!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My shed/Workshops here! Spose this is probably something I should do a thread on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I'm... kinda shocked.

Just had to call Time Warner. Haven't used one of our set top boxes in several months (it's on a very, very seldom used TV that also hasn't been turned on, or even plugged in, in the same amount of time - also it's free for a few more months, so wasn't worried about charges). Box had been deactivated, it immediately popped up a "We have detected an interruption in your service, please call <local Time Warner number> to restore service" on the screen.

I actually got someone who knew their poo poo. And it took them less than 1 minute to fix it. :stonkhat: I think the total time spent on the phone was about 4 minutes. "We're making a lot of changes at Time Warner Cable" indeed..

Had this happen once before, and it took over half an hour for them to get it working again (with a very kind, but clueless, gentleman named Elvis, who had an accent that was very un-Elvis).

I had to get in contact with LG today because the wireless dongle isnt playing nice with our ducted aircon unit, and it could be the dongle is faulty, the controller is faulty or the main board is faulty, or, being LG, All three are faulty!

I was elevated to a level 2 technical problem within 5 mins of talking to the service rep because i exhausted his knowledge with "Have you turned it off and on again?"

• Locked thread