Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Steven Fletcher going to Marseille is weird. Is anyone besides Defoe scoring enough to fill the void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I don't watch any Championship matches. Are the players that Aston Villa would be able to keep good enough to win promotion next season? From what I've read, even the lower leagues have been spending more on players than Villa has to claw their way up.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dunban posted:

Klopp is a massive fraud and I'm doing all the moves

Klopp not being able to undo Liverpool's garbage status does not make him a fraud.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Xabi posted:

However, next year...

Is someone else's year lmao!!!

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They were 9 points out of a champs league spot after that match with 16 to play. If the manager they hired wasn't a fraud and literally doing worse than Brendan Rodgers the chance was definitely still there.

Klopp took over when Liverpool were 10th and 3 points away from 4th. They are now 8th and 11 points away from 4th. I don't think that's what they had in mind when they hired Klopp.

I know it's hard to imagine, but I think Liverpool would probably be even worse off right now if Rodgers had stuck around. It was going downhill pretty quickly under Rodgers' tenure and FSG seemed gifted at finding ways to make everything worse while thinking Klopp could fix it all.

The decision to keep Rodgers on after last season was a joke unless Klopp had already been recruited. At the same time, if Klopp had been lined up, then letting Rodgers, Ayre, Gordon and the Barry Hunter spend money last summer with that kind of leadership and vision vaccuum was an idiotic decision too. It led to a bad start and made a lackluster squad even worse.

TL, DR: This season was designed to be a long Scouse Bust Fest because the club is run badly by Americans who think they're smarter than everyone else. The only wrong thing Klopp did was take the job instead of waiting for another better club to come in.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 3, 2016

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
"Major" Lazar Markovic did not get recalled because the loan deal between Fenerbahce and Liverpool did not allow for it. Fener are too big of a club to put up with poo poo like recall options.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

Actually most of us in here were pretty happy we weren't spending money this window.

The squad is the worst it's been since it got Hodgson'ed (even then we still had some world class players though) so an overhaul is needed but it needs to be done with an actual plan. Not a plan that involves Downing and Adam hitting long balls to Andy Carroll though.

Man, I yearn for the days of Jay Spearing, Joe Cole, Paul Konchesky, and Christian Poulsen...

We might just be using different terminology, but I don't think the squad is as bad as you say it is. It's just horribly imbalanced. There are no defensive-minded midfielders besides Lucas and no actual wingers. Fullback cover is almost non-existent. There are way too many No. 10-style players who have to get shoehorned into roles they aren't great at and too many box-to-box runners full of industry (but not creativity or goals). That being said, there's a lot of technical skill in the side and many players are young enough that they will improve and become more consistent.

I wonder how much of this imbalance comes from Liverpool trying to use stat-heavy Billy Beane bullshit. Relying too much on numbers without a critical eye is what makes target man strikers like Carroll look so attractive and why Liverpool continually keep trying to find one who works with the rest of Liverpool's team without success. I suspect other positions like holding midfielders or deeper-lying playmakers probably don't get to goose their stats in the same way, which is why the the Committee don't get excited about them and don't address those squad gaps.

Rodgers didn't help things by having an atrocious eye for talent himself, but his failures have been pretty well discussed at this point.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Liverpool's supposed salvation went to China after all.

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/37129

This league is done. China will rule football soon enough.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Jorge Mendes will get another island if Mourinho goes to Man-U.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with us.

Lackluster owners that have been making bad decisions since they bought the club, a squad in transition without established quality, and fan unrest. The players don't feel supported, the fans don't feel valued or enthusiastic about the crap that is out on the pitch, and only Mike Gordon of FSG seems to be willing to put in the work that it takes to be a successful owner of a football club.

FSG dug themselves into this situation through bad personnel choices and slow responses to problems and, in one way or another spurned every opportunity to keep themselves on an upward trajectory. They need to dig themselves out.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 6, 2016

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Akileese posted:

It's amazing how Arsenal and Liverpool have pretty much the same exact problems for entirely different reasons.

Arsenal have CL money so they're in much better shape. I don't know how bad things might get after Wenger leaves, but I can't imagine it turning into the kind of shitshow LIverpool is right now.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

He's very fit and lean, great stride to him

I hear he might have some athletic heritage in his family history.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Lot 49 posted:

Are there any Liverpool fans here that like Benteke? All the ones on twitter and rawk seem to think he's garbage.

I think he's going through a learning process that could produce a great striker with a really fleshed-out set of skills, as opposed to being reliant on only one style of play. His movement seems to be improving and hopefully he'll eventually convert one of his many chances and then be back in form.

Whether the club should have paid 32.5 million GBP for a striker who still needs to grow in leaps and bounds is something I question a lot, though, especially when Carroll, Lambert, and Balotelli all indicated that Liverpool as a whole cannot use target men well. Also, what I just typed out above is a rosy, best case scenario and Liverpool has't had a best case scenario come to pass since about 2009.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bovril Delight posted:

Only pled guilty to the kissing charge, I bet he's a goon

Adam Johnson is an Incel?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I never understood how whoever bought him at Liverpool (I'd love to blame Rogers, but I have a vague recollection that he didn't want him, though I could be wrong) thought "good for Villa" was in any way a ringing endorsement.

Rodgers wanted him and he says Klopp wanted him too.

http://www.espnfc.us/liverpool/story/2800183/christian-benteke-needs-time-under-klopp-like-lewandowski

If they were able to get Benteke at a lower price, the learning curve would be a much less annoying situation.

I wish the club had bought Lukaku.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Sandwolf posted:

So your club can ruin another promising striker?

Yes. I see promise and I want to poop on it.

straight up brolic posted:

e: like if Klopp wants everyone to press hard and retain the ball when they get it he's the wrong player. Straight up. That doesn't make him bad, it make's him bad for that style.

That sounds like another massive cock-up between Rodgers and the Transfer Committee then because Rodgers gashed on and on during his time at Liverpool about wanting a "pressing" style so opposition teams had less time to think and move.

Benteke has not been helped by the inability of any of the midfielders (like Can, Henderson, Allen, or Lallana) to chip in meaningfully with goals. It might get better for him for the brief window when Sturridge is alive. Maybe he just needs a partner. And love.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 10, 2016

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

chuggo is BACK posted:

was just about to post this, they've actually listened to a protest and it owns all round

I'm curious about what happens in 3 years, but this is good.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the match day receipts are so piffling in comparison to TV stuff and whatever else why are clubs like Spurs wanting so desperately to upgrade/replace their stadia. Building a bigger stadium seemed to be a big deal in the articles about Everton's sale too.

How much do Panini pay to make all those stickers?

It's not just about increased capacity. The clubs want to upgrade their corporate/luxury facilities and the price ceiling is pretty high for those.

When Liverpool were speaking with the fan organizations about ticket prices earlier, they didn't disclose the income they got (pr were anticipating to get) from the current and upgraded business boxes. That's a big, convenient black hole in the numbers.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

The obvious answer is standing tickets but scouse sanctimony is never going to let that happen.

Well, that's a nasty way of talking about the families of the Hillsborough survivors, but that is a big obstacle. If the families were okay with it, the fans and the club would almost certainly be behind it too.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

gtkor posted:

I don't think it is that unreasonable that FSG didn't bother with the revenue from the corporate boxes. I certainly think you can make the argument that a no like-for-like increase in GA seats is what the average supporter is concerned with, not the amount of money being made off the corporate stuff.

Given that FSG apparently put 120 million into an advance and still are going to deal with supporters who want new stars bought every window because "TV Money", It doesn't seem odd or unlikely that they would try and get whatever they could out of the corporate box revenue stream.

I don't mind maximizing box revenue either, but it's a lot harder for a club to claim credibly that there's a revenue shortfall that actually affect sporting competitiveness if a huge matchday revenue stream has been left out of the calculation.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Do Norwich have hope? I hope they survive.

Paddyb posted:

Matip is a good upgrade on noted goal scorer Kolo Toure, but it's too bad that they're talking about moving Flanagan on.

Who is talking about moving Flanagan on? Unless there's been a big spend on fullback cover that are all obvious upgrades, this would be a bad move.

Giving up on the guy after the long injury woes seems extreme. Also, I don't think his wages are high at all.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 15, 2016

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

Personally I don't. I've seen more than enough relegation battles to know a team that has the smell of relegation about them and this one has it.

God. Sunderland are going to survive again.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Der Shovel posted:

Apparently, and this is just something journos are piecing together from LVG's vague comments, Rooney caused his injury by picking up some smaller injury in United's last game, not telling anyone and then making it a lot worse by playing until the end with it.

:bravo: if true.

God forbid a player being accused of laziness, complacency, and/or being past-it try to play through the pain.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I would be very surprised if any Chinese club had real money to spend, let alone the money being mooted for a Rooney transfer. It's paper talk, just like the time Kenny Huang tried to buy Liverpool.

Also, I think Van Gaal has mostly been doing the right things as far as the transfers go, but maybe he has lost his coaching touch. The kind of football I think he's going for makes sense for a club like United. That makes him better than Moyes, who never seemed to have a vision. It's going a bit Rafa Benitez for Van Gaal.

I bet Mourinho could lead the Man-U squad to win something but I don't see how the renaissance would last longer than a season (or maybe two). Plus, I could see a massive financial fiasco crippling the club as a result of Mourinho's usual spending habits.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What? He spent a whole net of ~55 million pounds during his (second) tenure at Chelsea and a whole net of ~100 million euros at Real Madrid. That's the most recent six years of his transfers. That's hardly crippling for a top flight club and it could even be seen as light spending.

For perspective: LVG has a net spend in 2 seasons with United of ~145 pounds. Crippling.

Maybe I overestimated how much Mourinho would have to buy to retool the side to play in his preferred style (and maybe undo what Van Gaal has been trying to put in place), the wages involved, and the burden of the Glazers' debt.

Perhaps Man-U is an endless pit of money, but I would think that their transfer business has shown some kind of financial limitations put in place.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Watch Gary Neville with the Europa League with Valencia and come back to save Old Trafford. The future is going to suck.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Isn't he just embarassing himself though, I heard he's doing proper bad and fail.

He has been bad in La Liga, but he just hired Pako Ayesteran to try to turn things around. Valencia won 6-0 in their Europa League tie yesterday, so maybe Neville just needed time and some extra help to get his footing.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Aren't Woodward's fortunes tied pretty tightly with Van Gaal's at this point? I suspect some level of internal politics is at play here.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
England shouldn't have replays or anything else that makes it harder for a top club to stay a top club. All this old stuff benefitting small clubs just lends itself to instability and economic inefficiency.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

An iranian billionaire has bought 49.9% of everton

Good. Everton need a new owner. Their finances are a bit shambolic and things could have slid downhill very quickly for them.

From what I read, there's not much room to expand Goodison Park so redeveloping it might not make much sense. This time, though, they may have more money so they can pursue new stadium plans with real force.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Total Meatlove posted:

Weren't they looking at moving out of Liverpool proper, and then at Stanley Park a few seasons back?

Liverpool were looking to develop in Stanley Park. That got shelved after Hicks and Gillet had to sell to FSG.

Everton had a plan to develop in Kirkby, but that got rejected by the local government. The most recent plan I've read about is now to develop in Walton's Lane, which I believe would still be in Liverpool proper.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
3 FA Cups in a row would be a cool feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Brendan Rodgers posted:

So I heard Liverpool is buying Mario Gotze and James Rodriguez, I'm excited.

Both will flop and/or be perpetually injured.

• Locked thread