Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw this movie, I liked it a lot. All of the characters were well written, but my favorites were Colossus and Negasonic. I would definitely watch a whole movie staring the two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's more the guys that did Deadpool clearly love the character and busted a gut to do it right. Hand off FF to someone that gets Dr Doom would be a good start.

Yeah, this movie is a passion project made by people who both love and understand the source material. I guarantee you that there exists someone who feels the same way about Fantastic Four and could make a great movie about them, and that Fox will NEVER hire them.

I really hope that the next movie has the same tone that this movie did: It was brutal, violent, and crude, but never mean spirited. Deadpool isn't just an rear end in a top hat and the more straight edged heroes aren't idiots just there for him to mock. All the characters were both funny and likable (except that douche Francis) and that kind of thing is something of a rarity. Honestly, in a hosed up sort of way, I think this is the sweetest super hero movie I've ever seen.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Apperently you have to work to see Deadpool's junk.

Take your kids. They'll be fine.

I was too distracted by the fire and fighting in that scene to try and look for a penis; but now that I know that's it's there I wish I had. I also don't remember any vagina's, I remember boobs but no vagina's. I guess I'm just not very good at noticing naked genitals.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kiimo posted:

The funny thing is that Spawn is gonna try to duplicate Deadpool and I bet you anything they fail utterly because anything Spawn-related is doomed to suck eternally.

See, this is the one bad thing about Deadpool succeeding: Other people are going to try to copy it without really understanding what made it good and probably end up with a lovely product. I know that's true of every movie that manages to make a buttload of money, but Deadpool knockoffs have the potential to be particularly obnoxious because that kind of hyper violent crude humor is really easy to gently caress up if you don't know what you're doing (case in point: like 90% of The Deadpool video game)

CelticPredator posted:

Ghost Rider 2 is the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. It's soooo loving bland and lifeless outside of like, 4 or 5 moments. Everything else in between is horrible. I expected more from them.

Which is amazing to me. You would think a movie about a man with a flaming skull riding a motorcycle would at the very least be entertainingly bad, but it's just plain dull. Both of those movies make me feel bad for Nicolas Cage, because I know he loves superhero comics and he was really excited to get to play one on film and the final product was just so lovely.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The writers have done an interview where they talk about keeping the budget low so poo poo doesn't get out of hand

http://screenrant.com/deadpool-2-movie-budget-x-men-characters/

The writers of this movie really seem to know what they're doing, I'm not worried about them being able to make a good sequel.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Okay. I must have zoned out while Francis was yammering on about his short life.

Yeah, he talked a big game but he's really just middle management at best.

Edit: I just realized Colossus was right, it WOULD have been better to keep Francis alive (at least until they pump him for information). He's really just a glorified grunt, his bosses are still out there and with ol'Frannie boy dead there's no way to track them down. Or at least there wouldn't be if Colossus hadn't saved Angel Dust. So I guess the real moral here is it's okay for one hero to murder bad guys as long as there's another hero keeping some of those people alive so you can get clues on how to track down worse bad guys?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 19, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kiimo posted:

it's tough because if you market it as a sports movie you automatically take a reduced box office. But it has Hugh Jackman and is directed by the guy who did Kingsman and the star of Kingsman.

Well nobody: cares about ski jumping except the Finns, knows Taron Edgerton by name especially when he's unrecognizable, cares about other countries' Olympians, trust this movie to be entertaining.

TV spots have been really tough especially. Everything is switching to review-based spots because people should know it's actually a good, enjoyable movie. But it also doesn't help that the only recognizable person is limited in how much he can be shown in marketing by the agreements set forth in the ad/pub guidelines. So you can't show Hugh more than Taron.

See you at the theaters!

For what it's worth: my mom is super excited to see that ski jump movie simply because she loves skiing (and can't do it anymore because her knees are bad). So you've managed to corner the market on the "my mom" demographic, too bad it only contains one person.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rohaq posted:

I assumed that he dragged him away to help spell FRANCiS (I particularly liked the lowercase "i").

He did, but Bob still survived! I hope he shows up in the next movie too, and then gets knocked out to spell something else.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kiimo posted:

I just realized how many Deadpool costumes are going to be at Comi-Con.

There have always been a lot of Deadpools at most cons. It's a pretty rad looking costume.

Is it weird that I'm already excited about Deadpool 2?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah but, imagine that a euphemism for loving was "sharing Christmas with grandma".

That is WAY grosser and more horrible than just the regular ol' F word.

....I can't decide if that's the worst or best euphemism I've ever heard of.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anyone who thinks Negasonic Teenage Warhead was picked because of her name is right: http://www.themarysue.com/negasonic-teenage-warhead-changes/

They pretty much changed everything about the character, and frankly I think that's for the best because the original NTW basically just existed to die so Emma Frost could feel sad about her death.

Oh, and she's named after this song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKj5cJ9_KSg

Edit: and here's some concept art of her http://comicbook.com/2016/02/27/concept-art-what-negasonic-teenage-warhead-could-have-looked-lik/

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 28, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

You jest, but if Hollywood and the Super Hero genre are anything, they're iterative. I'd bet you my right nut that we'll be seeing a slew of R-Rated Hero movies in the years to come as people try to cash in on that Deadpool magic. Nearly all of them will be garbage, because I doubt studio people will learn the right lessons about what made this movie good.

I kind of hate that people are focusing on Deadpool's R rating. Deadpool isn't good because it has an R rating, it's good because it's well written and well acted. The lesson here isn't "add more swears and blood" it's "get people who care about and understand the source material to make your movie". Hyper violence works in Deadpool, but if you try to cram that same hyper violence into everything like Fantastic Four or Spiderman it's going to feel forced and get old fast.

But to be fair I think super hero movies becoming overly edgy and grimdark would have happened even if Deadpool hadn't been successful. It kind of just seems like a thing that naturally happens for some reason. Just look at the original comics a lot of these movies are based on or the new Suicide Squad movie that's coming out soon (and was in production WAY before Deadpool became such a megahit).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Affi posted:

It is about swears and blood though. You can't have action movies without at least some blood and swears help make things realistic and funny.

Everytime i see the hulk rampage through cities without anyone dying I hate the movie a little more.

Look, I'm not trying to say swears and blood are bad. I love swears and blood as much as the next person, maybe even a little more. I just think that if you add a bunch of swears and blood to a lovely movie it's still going to be a lovely movie. I don't want our corporate overlords to look at how well Deadpool is doing and think that the only thing that makes it good is how eXtreme it is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's sad that ASP2 was so badly done that it killed that train as I thought Garfield did a real solid Ultimate Spidey/Peter Parker and the suit in ASP2 was the best spidey suit we've gotten. I'd buy that thing to wear as a halloween costume it looked so good.

But I was glad to see that they added the moving eyes from Deadpool's effects to the new spidey costume. That was easily my favorite thing visually they developed that I love really makes it feel even more like the comics.

Oh yeah, for all of the flaws that Amazing Spiderman 2 had Andrew Garfield wasn't one of them. I really hope he doesn't have much trouble finding work in the future because he's a legit good actor. Maybe he could play a mutant in Deadpool 2 and hang out with Colossus and NTW?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WarLocke posted:

Dazzler in a movie would be like one of those awful anime music videos were the music makes the character super. :v:

On a serious note, converting sound to lazerbeams would actually be a loving rad power in the middle of a gunfight - lots of sound to power it then.

(Although I wouldn't object to going full camp with Dazzler belting out a power ballad while slinging light everywhere; Pat Benatar maybe :magical:)

All of this sound incredible.

Dazzler 4 President.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No Legion is Xavier's son who's power is that he has every mutant power ever. This caused so much mental stress that his mind fractured into hundreds of different personalities and each one has its own mutant power.

Does he have a different costume for each personality like Roger from American Dad?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

504 posted:

What a good evolutionary move that is!

evolution just means change, it's not always an improvement.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Freakazoid_ posted:

if Cable will be swole.

If? How can you even say that?

Edit: Man, I'm just so glad the sequel is keeping the same writers/director/Ryan Reynolds. They all wanted to make this movie so bad for so long and it makes me so happy that they not only made a great movie they now get to make another one :unsmith:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 15, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Sorry to say, but you got tricked into watching an art film about vaginas.

Why would anyone need to be tricked into watching an art film about vaginas?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sinking belle posted:

Isn't Deadpool supposed to be canonically pansexual? I don't read comics so this is a kind of a second hand thing but this film definitely represented him as being gender-agnostic in what he's into.

Yes, Deadpool is canon pansexual. He's also pretty vocal about his crush on Spiderman.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

In Deadpool 2 Deadpool teams up with "Manspider" who's basically exactly like "Spiderman" but just different enough that Disney can't sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

has tumblr literally forgotten that morena baccarin's character existed

Have you forgotten that menage a trois are a thing?

Edit: I mean I don't know about you, but if I had the chance to date both Deadpool and Knock-off Spiderman at the same time and they were both cool with it I'd take it.

• Locked thread