Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

The ball clearly moves after he hits the ground initially, you can't clearly see if the ball touches the ground or his hand stays under it the whole time. I'm inclined to call it a catch but I can see why you wouldn't reverse the call on the field

Instead of arguing about that can we talk about how the Panthers partially lost the game because of dropped passes and Ted Ginn wasn't involved? That play was a perfect throw and if caught the Broncos probably don't get an immediate TD on the next play. Then later on Cotchery dropped another pass that would have set the Panthers up pretty deep in Denver territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is the day after the Super Bowl too early to bet on who will win the next one? Of course not:

pre:
Odds to win Super Bowl LI:
Seattle		 8-1
New England	 8-1
Pittsburgh	 8-1
Green Bay	10-1
Arizona		10-1
Carolina	10-1
Cincinnati	14-1
Denver		14-1
Dallas		16-1
Minnesota	20-1
Indianapolis	20-1
Kansas City	20-1
NY Jets	        30-1
Buffalo		30-1
Baltimore	30-1
Atlanta		40-1
Houston		40-1
NY Giants	40-1
Washington	40-1
Chicago		40-1
Detroit		40-1
New Orleans	40-1
Philadelphia	50-1
Tampa Bay	50-1
Los Angeles	50-1
Miami		50-1
Tennessee	50-1
Jacksonville	50-1
Oakland		50-1
San Diego	50-1
San Fran 	60-1
Cleveland      200-1

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oakland's a value bet is what I get out of that. I mean it probably won't happen but I could see them over a lot of teams with better odds.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Will Roman Numerals be back for the Super Bowl?

Yeah they specifically dropped it for L. They claim it was to make 50 special but they're lying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Shaun Alexander is easily forgettable because his personality was basically Russell Wilson minus the snake oil salesman part. Lots of bible verses, and wouldn't bang his girlfriend (who actually went to HS with my sister) until they were married.

Back before I learned to embrace hating Alabama one of the things I liked about Alexander was he'd end interviews with Roll Tide out of nowhere.

I liked some dumb things when I was younger.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

"Reasons" like being one of the best running backs ever?

Weren't you just talking about how LaDainian wasn't a lock for some weird reason?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Peterson will finish his career with more yards and a better YPC, and is an overall better runner than Tomlinson. Tomlinson will get in eventually, you can't ignore the touchdowns, but it won't be first ballot. Peterson will be a first ballot guy. He's the kind of RB that people will talk about in 25 years, Tomlinson will just kind of fade into obscurity like Earnest Byner or John Riggins

I'm convinced this is an act to make people praise Tomlinson, but to play along Peterson (who is 30) will have to be "good" for two more years just to catch Tomlinson's rushing yardage--he's basically 2000 yards behind him there. The odds of this happening are pretty good but we've seen a lot of running backs physically fall apart right about now.

But he's going to have to be good for 4 or 5 more years to catch up in yards from scrimmage, especially since he isn't anywhere near the threat receiving out of the backfield. The only way I see Tomlinson not being a first ballot guy is if he's up against some real monsters. Ray Lewis is taking one spot, I could see Kurt Warner getting another. Who else is a first time guy next year?

e: poo poo I don't think Ray is eligible until 2018, what I get for looking at an old nfl.com article.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Here is an article about the 2017 first year eligibles. Some are obvious like Ward, Tomlinson, Taylor, and :mcnabb:, but there are a few maybes like Vince Young.

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/football/the-football-futures/2017-football-eligibles?limit=19&limitstart=0

Jason Taylor's a good one. A good one that should not in any way even be considered to go in ahead of Tomlinson, especially considering it took until 2016 to get Kevin Greene in.

Seriously SA2K, stop worrying/begging for people to write good things about your obvious HoF guy.

e: Oh poo poo Ochocinco's up next year? He has absolutely no shot but drat.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 11, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

I trust there's maybe a reasonable explanation, but how come it's taking so long to draw up this arrest warrant?

https://twitter.com/CSNPhilly/status/697896399006863360

Apparently there's a third off duty cop who just made a statement today, maybe that has something to do with it?

This one wasn't beat up he was just there I think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Stabler was the only one, and that changed last week

You're thinking Jim Plunkett, Stabler only had one ring.

So yeah I believe Plunkett's the only guy to have two SB rings as a starting QB and not be in.

e:fb

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

He's better than Bettis.

No he's really, really not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just change all regular Pats fans' platinum icon to an asterisk. Or just NC-17's, either way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PrinceRandom posted:

Offseason chat. I'm playing that football sim in steam and they separate WRs into Split Ends and Flankers. I've never heard this before and have no idea what it means. Help...

Split end is X and Flanker is the Z if that helps any. Split end is actually the end on his side of the field, as in lined up on the LoS, which is where the term comes from.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AsInHowe posted:

Waiting on pins and needles for Peyton's reputation to end like this

I get the feeling Dungy's reputation outside of places like here is doing just fine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I honestly don't understand why NHL guys can do skill competition stuff and the NFL can't. I mean, maybe they're held under the thumb of the league as a player's union a touch more but still.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nosetackles, are they too fat or not fat enough?

Ted Washington was a beautiful man and should be in the hall of fame for no other reason than his size.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My favorite Ted Washington picture. He's standing next to noted small man Warren Sapp:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Atticus Finch posted:

Done, though this rule does not apply to Grey Cup winner Warren Moon.

...you're a Bengals fan.

Also why are you listening to Chiche?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NC-17 posted:

If your team's last appearance wasn't during the Nixon administration you might feel differently.

I'm honestly kind of surprised Nixon was in office by Super Bowl IV.

:smith:

Febreeze posted:

Before that Colts-Bears was boring after hester's kickoff. Honestly since the turn of the century the only real boring Bowls have been Ravens/Giants (Slaughter) Bucs/Raiders (Slaughter) Bears/Colts (Slaughter) and Seahawks/Broncos (slaughter). hmm, I see a trend.

This used to be a yearly thing, we've been really lucky with Super Bowls recently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Donkwich posted:

If it's LWB his response to Benny the Snake's incredible post entirely justifies him being here.

Cool, I'm going to make myself so incredibly toxic that it'll be awesome when I respond to Parmesan Basil.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

I'd share the same sentiment if my team wasn't owned by cheapskates

For once that's actually been working out ok for me. You just need to identify something no one else in the world values enough and grab all of that you can get.

Unfortunately you're probably too late to the 'relief pitching and speed' gimmick.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popy posted:

someone lie to me, and tell me the D-backs will be good this year plz.

A couple of them are really highly thought of!

They'll be gone long before you pick though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Mike Trout owns

I can't remember, why do you hate the Padres? Other than them never being good of course.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

Little bit o' Column A, little bit of column B

He was a legit good QB his rookie year, but Shanahan kind of ruined him by making him play when he wasn't healthy enough and Shanahan didn't like him in general. But after he came back he still had a stupid disregard for his own body (leading to injuries) and he never learned how to properly read a defense and make reads because the offense he was good in was very simple.

I still don't know what to think about RG3 because of this. I mean, yeah he probably has issues and they're probably a big deal, but Shanahan went completely scorched earth on him through the media. If I believed everything written about him I have to believe the Redskins are even dumber than I already think they are, which isn't really possible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shiksa posted:

Or the redskins are evil and grossly incompetent, depends on how you look at it.

I mean at this point is there much reason to doubt this?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whypick1 posted:

Thank you, my phone was being stupid.

HOW DO YOU NOT THROW IT TO ANYONE THERE?!?!?!?!?

This is why I think he's just gunshy/broken for some indeterminate reason now. You can talk about one read offenses as much as you want, but what read was bad here?

Rookie RG3 launches that to one of the deep out/corner routes.

Er...read. Not reason.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Allen Robinson got a new tattoo:

https://twitter.com/Thee_AR15/status/699760219363131392

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

good, seafood is gross

You have the weirdest damned opinions about some things.

Like, I could understand thinking sushi is gross, or maybe shrimp, or some specific thing. There's a lot of seafood out there though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

In Korea, they sell grilled squid at the movie theaters and I cant hang with that smell

Yeah this is what I was getting at, I could understand not liking this. Or the still squirming octopus that happens in some places. But what's offensive about, like fried catfish?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--that seems...like an unwise video to post

Skwirl posted:

I don't follow hockey at all, but I love poo poo like this. Why are they booing him? They're probably right to on general principal, I don't think an honest Sports Commissioner has ever existed in any sport, but I want the details.

Gary Bettman is basically as bad as Roger Goodell or maybe worse. There have been 3 lockouts while he's been commissioner and he keeps trying to force hockey on the south where people don't give a poo poo about it. There's also plenty of bizarre suspension decisions in the NHL, while he doesn't directly handle those like Goodell most of the time he still gets the blame.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Parmesan Basil posted:

Ben Grubbs was pretty not good!

Really disappointed how that's turned out so far, I was thinking he was going to be pretty good or at least serviceable.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alaois posted:

i'm just picturing Bob Newhart

Huh, I just learned Bob Newhart is still alive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

How do you determine that stat

Watch a lot of tape and decide for yourself I assume.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

having the last couple of games posts in this thread read to me

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...model/6764518:7

Interesting. That was me the last time I played Monopoly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

I've only seen ten or so full games with Marino and maybe twenty with Elway but it seems pretty crazy to me to say Elway is better. Marino with TD wins 12 Superbowls in his first three seasons.

To be fair early on in his career Elway had less to work with, I can't ever remember any of the names of the Three Amigos. Meanwhile the Marks Brothers were real good.

I mainly made this post because I miss those nicknames, Marino was better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whypick1 posted:

That's the logical thing that would benefit the fans and players, so of course it will never happen. It'll be in preparation for an 18 game season.

This is boring and dumb but I could see owners fighting over who gets the extra preseason home game.

Unless this means every other team has to play in London once a year, which is the dumbest thing possible and probably what they're thinking of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

They really couldn't, as has been demonstrated repeatedly in football.

I must protest, Chase hasn't had a chance to turn the ball over yet.

Orton, well god love him but yeah, he'll throw some picks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much the ultimate way to go out. I am not understanding the 'poor form' comment either

Eh the idea is you're putting yourself going out on top ahead of the rest of the team that just won a championship.

In Elway and Lewis's case the narrative was already 'win one more for this guy,' and that holds true for Bettis to some extent. The difference would be Peyton wasn't a long time Bronco I guess? Either way I don't really buy into it or care and would have preferred Peyton did that instead of hug Papa John and shill Budweiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

I remember people debating if he was good or not while in college. That isn't the most auspicious start for a QB. Its not like a Driskel situation where you can really dismiss a good chunk of his college body of work for coaching and suck.

The argument with Locker was that he had no help at all and it was amazing he did anything. And I remember one game against Nebraska his senior year where I could believe it, he was running for his life right off the snap all day.

Of course he was 4/20 for 79 yards and ran for 59, so yeah. But it was a strangely impressive awful performance!

• Locked thread