Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Hey kids, want to see some rust?

This is my 2002 F250 Lariat. 7.3L Powerstroke, Auto, 4x4. It currently has 220,000kms (136,000 miles for you Americans), lots of leaks, and lots of rust. My father gave me this truck a few months back because he moved on to a 2012 Dodge Ram and doesn't want to gently caress with rusty poo poo. Me? I'm running a little lean in the brains department and couldn't turn down a free 7.3 Powerstroke. So yeah, AI now has another dirt cheap 7.3 owner lol.

^Truck while my dad was still daily-driving it. ~6 years ago.

Ok, lets do some background here. I'm from Newfoundland and I live pretty much next door to the ocean. We heavily salt our roads in the winter, and oh yeah, this truck has spent its full life here and has never been undercoated. Not to mention before I took ownership, It sat on a lawn for 3 years. This thing got rusty fast. I haven't gone entirely through it yet to see what it needs body-wise, but I've got a good idea. Believe it or not, the chassis is actually pretty solid. It looks dirty, but it's solid. So at least I have something to build upon.

^Truck as it sits today. (Garage in progress)

The interior is in decent shape. Beyond that tear in the driver seat, it really only needs a good cleaning.

^Bed that came off the truck. this thing is off the Sockington scale altogether.

At the very least in the body department, this truck needs two front fenders, rocker panels, a cab corner, maybe partial floor pans, another bed, and I need to make up some kind of replacement for the rear crossmember because that loving thing is GONE. I'm thinking maybe welding in a couple pieces of angle or pipe or c-channel or something. Input is always appreciated. I also intend to clean and paint the chassis while I'm at it so it stays solid for years to come.

I managed to score another complete (other than the front diff) and running 7.3 truck that I'll be using for parts. The PO bought it and ripped out the front diff and turned in the title/plates. It's better off because the chassis on this one isn't very good. The bed on this one isn't showroom condition or anything, but it's very usable. A lot more so than the green one. The parts truck only set me back $900 so its worth that just for the bed. If you've ever seen how much Super Duty beds go for, you know lol. So the plan is use the bed from the parts truck (needs to be painted and fender lips patched a little bit), see what else I need that is salvageable from the parts truck, and then sell what I can. I'm kinda hoping to make back the 900 eventually, but who knows. I'm going to keep a little list of costs here in my first post for my own record. I'd like to know in the end how much it cost me in total to get this truck daily drivable.

^Parts-truck

Did I mention that the truck leaks like crazy? It seems like every single line in the engine bay is rotten. It started with dad saying "Hey, the trucks been sitting for 3 years, want to see if we can get it started?". We got the truck running, and one of the power steering lines running to the hydroboost started pissing everywhere. Great. Replaced that line, and another blew. Rinse and repeat until all the power steering lines are replaced, and the hydroboost unit itself decides to blow a hole and piss power steering fluid out its rear end. Anyways, thats where the parts truck comes in handy, see? Hydroboost replaced, power steering system (hopefully) normal, money saved.

Once I got the power steering system all buttoned up again, I decided to try and move the truck towards the garage. Along the way I managed to spill a ridiculous amount of coolant and trans fluid. Oh well, lets go get the absorbent powder (i'm cheap I use kitty litter). Sigh. So this is what diesel ownership is like, huh? I have a big box of surprises ordered from Rockauto that should be here on Friday to get started with stopping all this leaking, so stay tuned.

More or less, I want to make this truck into my daily driver and use it for as many years as I can. The purpose of this thread is to document progress, and to get as much advice and insight from others as possible. This is my first diesel, and my first anything remotely heavy. Hub rebuilds and solid axles are new to my hands. I'm hoping to have this truck daily-drivable for <$4000 CAD.

Expect some bonus Celica All-Trac content in spring, and also some 2003 Corolla daily driver goodness (not goodness).

^bonus catte content

quote:

Expenses:
2002 F250 - Free
1999 F250 (parts) - $900.00
Rockauto Order #1 - $448.18
Miscellaneous Fluids and Other - $215.00

Total: $1,563.18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Jesus gently caress that thing is rusty. I like a good ol' 7.3 though. Looking forward to seeing your progress with it. good luck and god speed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those frame pictures are the automotive equivalent of that nightmare where all your teeth are crumbling whenever you try to eat. My 99 was so far from rusty, i was able to re-use 5 of the 6 box bolts and clip on nuts when i swapped the box for a '15.

Still, powerstroke bros. :clint::hf::clint:

You'd think with all those oil leaks, the truck would have rustproofed itself a little better. The leak i'm dealing with right now is the fuel bowl drain valve which i would imagine is creeping up on you too. look under the truck when you start it, and if you see a trickle coming down under the front of the engine on the passenger side, you're probably spittin out as much fuel as it's drinking.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That spare is a literal rust bucket.

I applaud your insanity, but wouldn't it be nicer/better to start off with a chassis from somewhere that isn't a salt mine?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Don't insult the salt mine.

I have to wonder if that's even beyond the Sockington scale. The cab isn't, but that bed.... :stonk:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

some texas redneck posted:

I have to wonder if that's even beyond the Sockington scale. The cab isn't, but that bed.... :stonk:

What bed?!

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

You'd think with all those oil leaks, the truck would have rustproofed itself a little better. The leak i'm dealing with right now is the fuel bowl drain valve which i would imagine is creeping up on you too. look under the truck when you start it, and if you see a trickle coming down under the front of the engine on the passenger side, you're probably spittin out as much fuel as it's drinking.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look at that when I'm out at the truck next. Its buried in snow since this morning so I have to dig it out again.

bolind posted:

I applaud your insanity, but wouldn't it be nicer/better to start off with a chassis from somewhere that isn't a salt mine?
100%, but the going price on 7.3s with no rust, unless you get real lucky, are through the roof. I'm not looking to make a show-truck or anything pretty, I just want to make the truck dailyable and slow the rust progression as much as I can.

The chassis on the green one is actually in decent shape, it just needs a run over with a wire-wheel and some rust paint. POR-15 or Chassis-saver or something. I'd guess that salt/moisture got trapped up under the spare tire and caused that cross-member to eat itself. Looking at other Super Dutys at the junk yard, that cross-member is rotten on trucks a lot cleaner than mine too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm going to buy stock in POR-15 after seeing this thread. Holy poo poo you've got your work cut out for you.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
My buddy paid over $10k for a 2k3 7.3 with just over 100k miles on it. Ford really hosed up the 6.0 Powerstroke, so the early 2k trucks are still in high demand.

Are you going to pull the cab entirely? It might not be a horrible idea, since you have to do that to do a ton of repairs anyways. May as well get used to doing it now!

Nomex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 9, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That rust. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Jesus what is it with the east and salt?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

Newfoundland has the double whammy of a marine environment and a heavy winter. There's salt on the roads and in the air 24/7/365

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

slidebite posted:

Ever seen 4 foot deep snow that weighs 1 lb per handful?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just how much worse is the frame on the parts truck, because the parts truck looks better than the truck you're fixing?

Also I'm excited to have a test lab where we can find out if POR-15 or Chassis Saver is better.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 9, 2016

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

Nomex posted:

Are you going to pull the cab entirely? It might not be a horrible idea, since you have to do that to do a ton of repairs anyways. May as well get used to doing it now!
I've seen it done a few times, but I'm still a little intimidated at the thought of it. I don't have a lift or anything that would make it any easier. For now, all I can say is maybe if I can muster up the courage and the cigarettes.

Nomex posted:

Ever seen 4 foot deep snow that weighs 1 lb per handful?
Every fuckin' day :canada:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How bad is the frame on the parts truck, because the parts truck looks better than the truck you're fixing?

Also I'm excited to have a test lab where we can find out if POR-15 or Chassis Saver is better.
The parts truck looks better from a distance yes, but it's in worse shape than the 2002. There are visible holes in the chassis, multiple crossmembers rotted through, and the cab is dickered. The box on the parts truck is no way the original box. It was definitely swapped out for a better one. That's why it's going on the other truck.

And yeah, I can't wait to play around with rust paints either lol.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nomex posted:

My buddy paid over $10k for a 2k3 7.3 with just over 100k miles on it. Ford really hosed up the 6.0 Powerstroke, so the early 2k trucks are still in high demand.

There's not much you have to pull the cab for on 7.3s.

you can get the turbo and valve covers off with the cab on. all the solenoids and sensors are at the front of the engine.

There's no EGR or DPF or SCR complicating things.

I would imagine that cab is on the way off as it is, though. Just turn really hard.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Are you a Bayman or a Townie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

El Scotch posted:

Are you a Bayman or a Townie.

Bayman. :getin:

• Locked thread